Protein has gone into our heads! | Hacks to Deal with Perimeopause | Bhagyashree x Shaili Chopra
Author Name:SheThePeople TV
Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@shethepeople.tv
Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOljkUufHyQ
Title: Protein has gone into our heads! | Hacks to Deal with Perimeopause | Bhagyashree x Shaili Chopra
Author Name: SheThePeople TV
Description: Why did Bhagyashree step away from Bollywood after Maine Pyaar Kiya at the peak of her career? What was it like becoming a wife at just 19? And how did one of India's most loved actresses reinvent herself into a trusted voice on women's health, nutrition, fitness and menopause?
In this deeply honest episode of The Rulebreaker Show with Shaili Chopra, Bhagyashree opens up like never before. From rejecting Maine Pyaar Kiya seven times, navigating early marriage, handling overnight fame, and returning to Bollywood in her 50s, to sharing practical advice on perimenopause, menopause, metabolism, protein, intermittent fasting, exercise and healthy ageing, this conversation is packed with wisdom every woman (and every man) should hear.
If you've ever wondered how to stay fit after 40, deal with hormonal changes, build healthy eating habits, or redefine success on your own terms, this episode is for you.
About Bhagyashree:
Bhagyashree is an acclaimed Indian actress, wellness advocate and nutrition enthusiast who became a household name with her iconic debut in Maine Pyaar Kiya. Over the years, she has successfully reinvented herself beyond cinema, becoming one of India's most trusted voices on fitness, nutrition, healthy ageing and women's health. Through her practical advice and evidence-based approach to wellness, she continues to inspire millions to lead healthier, happier lives while embracing every stage of life with confidence.
In this episode, we discuss:
• Why Bhagyashree almost never did Maine Pyaar Kiya
• The truth behind leaving Bollywood after becoming a superstar
• Getting married at 19 and whether early marriage works
• Success, fear and owning your life choices
• Returning to acting in her 50s
• Perimenopause and menopause explained simply
• The emotional struggles women don't talk about
• Protein myths every Indian should stop believing
• Why intermittent fasting may not work for women
• Nutrition, metabolism and healthy ageing
• Exercise, bone health and longevity
• What every husband should know about menopause
• The biggest health mistakes women make today
Whether you're in your 20s, 40s or 60s, this conversation will change the way you think about health, relationships, ageing and living fearlessly.
Timestamps:
00:00 - Precap - What's in store in this episode!
01:34 - What rules has Bhagyashree not broken?
02:07 - I rejected Maine Pyaar Kiya 7 times!
02:28 - I got married at 19 because...
03:15 - Do you regret leaving Bollywood?
04:23 - You have to own your mistakes!
04:42 - Everyone still remembers you. How?
05:12 - So much success at 19 was scary!
06:44 - Is it better to marry early?
08:43 - Does compromise reduce women in a marriage?
09:40 - Being back on Bollywood sets in your 50s
11:34 - How do you keep up with the energy levels?
12:29 - Menopause taught me: Bhaad mein jaye sab!
13:48 - How difficult was perimenopause for you?
15:34 - Breaking down perimenopause symptoms and solutions
18:30 - Why knowledge is the biggest weapon during menopause
18:59 - I used to cry in the shower when...
20:17 - How does Bhagyashree exercise?
22:30 - What happens to metabolism during menopause?
24:27 - Food made simple: Busting protein myths
25:14 - Look at what Tukaram Mundhe is doing...
26:53 - Fit at 57: How much protein does Bhagyashree eat?
27:40 - Intermittent fasting is NOT good for women!
28:25 - What does a wholesome meal look like?
29:32 - The right way for vegetarians to eat protein and dal
31:42 - Are supplements really necessary?
32:31 - The one thing every woman should change today
33:03 - Rulebreaker Rapid Fire
33:22 - Is ghee a friend or an enemy?
33:44 - The secret to thriving in your 40s
34:13 - What every man should know about menopause
35:16 - What do women DM Bhagyashree about?
36:02 - What if you suddenly gained weight?
If this conversation inspired you, don't forget to Like, Comment, Share, and Subscribe to SheThePeople for more conversations with women who are breaking barriers and redefining success.
Connect with SheThePeople:
Website: https://www.shethepeople.tv/
Instagram: / shethepeopletv
Twitter: / shethepeople
LinkedIn: / shethepeople
Connect with Shaili Chopra:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shailichopr...
LinkedIn: / shailichopra
Substack: https://shailichopra.substack.com/about
Website: https://www.shailichopra.com/
Also check out some of our popular podcast playlists:
Rulebreaker: • The Shaili Chopra Show
Sexual Health Matters: • Sexual Health Matters
Know Your Body: • All you need to know about your body- by D...
Transcript:
(00:00) I think I'm Destiny's [music] child because everything that one is not supposed to do, I did all of it. Then came served on a platter to me and I kept saying no to it at least seven times before [music] I finally managed to take the plunge. I decided to get married barely at the age of 19 and much against the wishes of my parents.
(00:23) Did it take you this phase of pmenopause and menopause before you could say that varnizer? [music] Well, yes, menopause does teach you a lot. I used to cry a lot in the shower whenever I felt like what kind of food [music] outside ready packaged food are you sure about that it's 100% pure.
(00:45) You see what the karam gi is doing. You make food seem so simple. I want you to bust a few myths for us. Women always think protein is the domain of men. You know what I think protein has? The word happiness has [music] I in the center for a reason. You are your source of happiness and your happiness should revolve around you.
(01:05) What's going on with women in pmenopause and menopause? What's happening to the metabolism? [music] Well, metabolism does slow. The whole world got to know Bhagish's name and then she said, "Okay, I'm off." What has that decision after many decades [music] meant like for you? Hello and welcome. We're breaking the rules, but what rules are we breaking? Well, today's person on the seed is a rule breaker. Bhagashi, welcome.
(01:44) >> Hi. Thank you for having me on the show. >> What rules has Bhagashri not broken? >> Not broken. [laughter] >> [gasps] >> Oh well, you know, actually I don't know how to say it, but I think I'm Destiny's child because everything that one is not supposed to do, I did all of it. Um, then APA came served on a platter to me and um, you know, people work so hard to kind of get their first film.
(02:17) I didn't have to work hard and I kept saying no to it at least seven times before I finally managed to take the plunge. So yes, that was breaking rule number one. The second rule that I broke was being the most obedient child uh of my parents, listening to everything that they said and yet when it came to matters of the heart, I took a step that probably no one would.
(02:45) I decided to get married really early, barely at the age of 19 and much against the wishes of my parents. Rule number two got broken. I decided after a super hit like Manipa not to do films anymore and look after my husband, my children, my family and give them priority. Rule number three that I broke.
(03:12) So yes, let's begin with what else am I going to break now? >> Yeah. [laughter] See, you know, I just keep wondering like the whole world got to know Bhagish's name and then she said, "Okay, I'm off, right?" And I'm off at 19. >> Mhm. >> What has that decision after many decades meant like for you? I think I've always stood by commitment and prioritizing my life and I think that's helped because then you don't have regrets.
(03:41) You don't look back upon decisions that you've made because I think we are placed on crossroads very often in life and probably every single day and the decision that you take at that particular time always is the right decision that you take for yourself. It's only when you reflect and you talk about ifs and buts and that's when you think oh should I have done this? >> Yeah.
(04:06) >> Would this be different? Am I going wrong? And I feel life is meant to be led as and how it comes. And every time you ask yourself an if or a but you're kind of putting a pause button to your life >> and uh I don't think that's worth it. >> So is it fair to say Bhagashri has that attitude? My mistakes are mine.
(04:27) I'll see Joa. Yeah, as long as you own it, you know, I'm not blaming anyone for anything. And as long as you own the decisions that you uh make, you bear the consequences. Well, no one else should be bothered about it. You know what's so powerful about this conversation is that we're having this conversation when you're 57 at 19, manipri.
(04:54) Well, for that I have to uh say that I feel truly truly blessed and I thank the Lord God and I thank all the people that have kept me alive in their hearts. >> So >> I don't take credit for that. I say it's the love of the people that have kept me alive. >> But you also have said that you've you know success came so early in such large scale.
(05:21) >> Yeah. Yeah. >> That maybe you didn't know what you were doing in 19 with all of that. >> It was it was definitely overwhelming and um it was scary. You know, it's like suddenly everyone knows you everywhere that you go you are likeounded and um when you're not really prepared for it, I think um you want to withdraw into a shell trying to assertain where you stand and is this what really makes you happy? Is this what really makes you tick? Is this what you want in life? And I think when I answered those questions,
(05:58) I found my happiness in my little son, you know. I wanted to spend all my time with him. I I guess I wanted to play house, you know, play play with my dollhouse. This was my little doll and this was my home and my house. and I wanted to do all those things first as I think um most of the girls at that age would want to do.
(06:20) It's only that now people look back and say you know career is the thing and you have to move forward and um you have to be able to balance both worlds or >> prioritize your career and um it's fair it's fair for people who find their happiness doing that but for me >> I think I knew where my source of happiness was coming and that's why today I don't have regrets >> but you know there are so many people now as they say the cycle is turning again there are people who are saying We weren't an early marriage. I'm just kind
(06:52) of curious what your thought is having been one who did that decades ago. >> Do you still feel that marrying at 19 would make sense? >> Not probably now at 19. I mean, I don't blame my parents for telling me no at that point of time. They felt that I was too young. And fairly enough, I would do the same if it were my daughter.
(07:12) I would feel that uh marrying early young I mean in your 20s I wouldn't say uh marrying at 19 but probably late 20s or early 30s is the right time for a girl to get married >> um more so for a couple of things. one, your body provides you much more energy, much more youthfulness to be able to enjoy your marriage, to be able to enjoy child birth in case you want children, to be able to enjoy life in general with your partner.
(07:48) So, I think that's >> also a time where you're understanding each other, molding into one another's um >> what do you say? >> Systems. >> Your systems. Yeah. But yeah, I think post um the latter half of 30, I think everyone becomes more individualistic >> and then it becomes difficult to adjust, change, compromise, um even place another person first if I may say.
(08:17) >> Yeah. >> And in a marriage, you have to meet each other halfway. You have to, you know, as someone who says that I'm going to be the person I am and I care too who it's about the other person. I don't think marriages run like that. It's all about caring for one another, uh, letting the person be, but also kind of trying to make the other person happy.
(08:42) >> Yeah. >> You know, and would you say would you say that sometimes compromise makes a woman feel reduced in a marriage? depends on what he's compromising on. See, um, two people living together, I'm not just talking about two partners or husband and wife. I mean, you compromise even when you stay with your parents, right? Or the parents compromise on hell of a lot of things when they're living with their children.
(09:11) Why doesn't the society point out at that? It's just two basic individuals, two different thought processes, two different mindsets. There is going to be friction. There is going to be a place where you don't understand what the other person is trying to say or you want to hold on to what you think is right. But that doesn't mean that you can't walk together.
(09:33) It's um it's a very fine line about agreeing to disagree you know. >> So let's come back to acting. >> You went back to the sets in your 50s. What did what did the sets ask of Bhagashri her energy her body you know her vanity after many decades uh back on the set there was a little bit of um nervousness a whole lot of excitement um mainly because you know my children have been the wind beneath my wings and um when they said mom you know when you talk about films and you talk about acting we can see the you know your face
(10:15) light up and there's a spark in your eyes and um you know just go there and do your thing. So it took me a while to kind of think that you know can I can I fit into this space right now. So I took my time send out a little feelers somewhere people came and asked me and then slowly people started approaching me and I started taking you know uh certain roles working with people that I would feel comfortable with that was also a very big thing for me >> but the kind of affection that I have received on the set I have to tell you
(10:57) it is it it I mean I just feel so overwhelmed that after so many decades people are still you know remembering instances out of manipa they are making sure that they narrate tales about their youth or when they fell in love or how menarchia influenced them or how they were in love with me and they had those postcards at that point of time or the video cassettes.
(11:24) >> So for me it was >> oh my god how wonderful. I mean, yeah, I missed all of this, you know. So, it was it was lovely being on set. And um >> How did you keep up with the energy needed, you know, because body has changed? >> Two kids. >> Mm- No, >> I feel I'm so much more energized right now than I was when I was younger.
(11:47) I think I was uh I wasn't that confident. I was very worried about a lot of things, you know, doing something wrong, taking the wrong decision, wondering what people had to say. I constantly seek for validation outside. >> Today, I think I'm in a space where >> I'm going to do my own thing and I'm enjoying what I'm doing.
(12:10) And >> well, >> I think people, you know, like that. Yeah, >> I think uh when you have that kind of aura or energy um I think it's more than welcome when people look at you they don't feel negativity and touchwood I must say I don't receive negativity at all. >> Is it is it that that you feel energized or is it also that because you're like I don't care what people think now a little bit of both.
(12:40) [laughter] >> I must agree a little bit of both. So did it take you this phase of pmenopause and menopause before you could say that? Well, yes, menopause does teach you a lot and uh because I was um say meeting a lot of doctors at that point of time, that was also one thing that I was doing and having a lot of those conversations, it uh made me more bodily aware so I could take my permenopause and all the problems that go with it in my stride and I could understand it, you know, understand how to deal with it. And by
(13:16) by the time you reach your 45 and 50 and you say, is it really worth, you know, spending so much time worrying about what people have to say and what things you have to do? And it's about time that you live your life. And I've always said that, you know, um, life goes up and then it comes down. And you know that you've got those few years around the sun.
(13:42) >> Yeah. and you want to live them to your fullest and you say might as well live them now. >> Fair. >> So what was it like? Because a lot of women wouldn't be in this position to say that oh you know what I had that's I had a sense of what was going on or I had access >> and a lot of women who watch our show often want to know like how are women on screen like yourself managing this roller coaster? What was pmenopause like for you? How difficult was the phase? a lot of mood swings, hot flashes, um getting worked up,
(14:18) suddenly having what do you call a mind fog, not remembering your lines, not remembering what you left the room for. So yes, I had all of it. But if um I think it's also taking care of your body at that point of time where I did put everything else on the back burner and I said I have to look after myself first.
(14:40) So doing the right kind of exercise, eating the right kind of food, um I would actually tell my husband, you know, I'm going to have this outburst. I don't need you to give me answers. I just need you to keep quiet and listen. Just look at me and listen. Don't say a word. And I would go blabber off and and walk out of the room, not even waiting for him to answer.
(15:09) I think that made a lot of difference because if you're not aware of it and you just spark off a conversation and the other person may not know what you're going through to deal with it. >> So I think making people around you aware that helps. >> Yeah. >> Uh of course they have to be sensitive enough to understand [laughter] >> or or they have to care to be okay with it.
(15:34) Okay. Let's unpack a bunch of things you said. Which one of these symptoms was like the hardest for you to deal with? You know, you mentioned a bunch of them that tend to happen to women in pmenopause and when they were happening, what did you do to manage? Was was anger the biggest issue, hot flushes, or was it a more physical reaction? I'm going to I'm going to kind of answer each one of them because I think that's very important also because u you know, let me start off saying that uh we did a doctor's panel in Nanavati Hospital.
(16:04) That's something that I realized while going through my per menopause and I did it for the women. We got a bunch of doctors and we had an open session where we invited all the women come register, fill up the seats and just hear and ask normal questions to all the doctors of what happens in menopause, how they can deal with it.
(16:29) And uh doing so not only did I learn a lot but I think I helped a lot of women to the extent that post that we did about nine sessions over there. They actually started a special unit only for menopause. >> That's amazing. >> So which was great but coming to all the symptoms well I had a lot of night sweats and it would be so horrible.
(16:50) you know, you drenched in sweat, keep on changing your night clothes, uh your bed gets wet, so you don't want to sleep there again. So, I mean, that was such a horrible time I feel because you get up having less sleep. You're you're feeling uncomfortable within your body. And I think the only thing that I could say is um keep a night suit next to you or a nighty next to you so you don't have to rush, you know, opening doors and finding things in the middle of the night.
(17:25) Keep a bottle of talcum powder if you need. Keep an extra bed sheet. Keep all these things by your side so you don't waste your time doing all these things in the middle of the night because if you start searching for things, you kind of lose your sleep in the bargain. So that's what I did. >> Um I didn't want to take therapy. So I kind of adjusted the food accordingly.
(17:52) I had a lot of pomegranate juice. I had hibiscus tea. I made sure that I have my um nuts, had enough of fiber, reduced the amount of sugar that I had. So you know certain kind of nutrition that you have to kind of adjust at that point of time to make things easier. Take a lot of sunlight and fresh air. I think that is so important.
(18:19) Being able to meditate which is so difficult. I still don't know how to meditate but just sitting by yourself um for 10 minutes just breathing right just calms you down. I can I can hear in your voice that you had to go acquire all this knowledge. >> Yes, of course. And you you do it because you want to do it for yourself instead of getting harrowed and harrowing people around you.
(18:43) I think awareness and knowledge >> both help you uh maneuver through life at different stages for different things in your life. And if you understand that, I think um most people would become peaceful instead of getting hassled. Yeah, there was a very powerful thing Ratna Paratakra said. She was in the same seat as you were.
(19:04) >> She said, "One advice I have for women is don't dump your menopause on others, particularly not on your kids." And the way she said it, it was such a practical example of how one should be >> making an effort to find answers so that you don't land up sort of interfering in other people's lives. >> Absolutely.
(19:21) >> But it's easier said than done, right? Because the mood swings are heavy, the anger, then you always need to get that relief. that you just [laughter] said. So I used to cry a lot in the shower whenever I felt like, you know, I'm getting into those tearyy things. I said just let water wash away whatever energies are there.
(19:43) And I believe in a lot of um aura. >> So I feel when you when you just immerse yourself in water, it kind of seeps through all your sorrows and just takes it away. It just washes it away. So yeah, I think I had a shower at least four or five times during the [laughter] day at that point of time. >> But that helped and um yeah, when I felt sad or when I couldn't understand, I just went and cried in the shower and I said, you know, come out all looking happy and fresh.
(20:17) >> Yeah. So you know, movement plays a very big role. Yes. >> Um yet, you know, and I speak to so many people in a day and they'll say that time passing >> okay right women are busy either are they at work or they're working at home whichever way and they'll say that it's so easy said to say move it move how how does Bhagashri the nutritionist really say move what does that mean for a woman in menopause see when people say they don't have the time to exercise they don't have 1 hour at a go but you definitely have 7 minutes 10 minutes
(20:55) >> during the day, plenty of time in between where you can on a regular basis. And metabolism is triggered only by continuous movement, not by movement at one go. >> So you can break it up into different times. I don't leave my bedroom without 10 minutes of mobility. So when you get up in the morning, it's as easy as you go into the bathroom and wash your face and brush your teeth and you learn how to breathe.
(21:24) And it just takes you can time yourself and it doesn't take more than 10 minutes. So you can get up 10 minutes earlier. It's possible you know and you can take those 10 minutes even when you're cooking. It's like people say post pregnancy. And how do they kind of um manage not to pee when they cough later? you know, whether it's pregnancy or menopause, that is such an important part because you feel that if you're coughing or sneezing and you don't know when your bladder is going to lose control.
(21:57) >> Yeah. >> And it's so easy to do it because you just have to do the kegle exercises when you're standing up. I could be doing it right now and you wouldn't even know. >> Correct. >> Right. So when people say I don't have the time, nonsense. Who doesn't have time for themselves? You can take out time and you should take out time because a happy person will be able to make other people happy.
(22:20) So if you're saying that they are the reason for you not, you know, making that effort, then you should make the effort for them, right? >> Simple. >> Let's talk about some of the things that you said. Let's talk about metabolism. >> What's going on with women in pmenopause and menopause? What's happening to their metabolism? >> Well, metabolism does slow down.
(22:43) what happened in your 30s, you have to work harder in your 40s and when you reach your 50s, you double it up and by the time you reach your 60s, God help you, much more effort. [laughter] But u if you do that gradually, then it becomes so much more easy. you know, um, when you take your DEXA scan somewhere in your late 40s or 50s, you realize that as we age, our bones do get brittle.
(23:11) >> And if you have that genetically with you, then the only alternate is to build muscle to support that bone system, that skeletal system. >> And you need to do weightbearing exercises. And I tell everyone, you know, you could have a Bentley or you could have a, you know, a Ferrari or a Rolls-Royce in your garage, but if you don't run it, it's going to get rust. It's going to stop working.
(23:41) So, anything that >> you um use regularly remains in the best kind of shape. So, if you don't use your bones and your muscles, they are going to deteriorate. A simple exercise of getting off the chair without using support with your legs on 90°. This is what I keep explaining to everyone. Do that just 20 times a day.
(24:08) 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening. And that will keep your knees intact, your hipbones intact. You'll be able to um you know have strength in your legs. >> Yeah. >> So these are very simple things. You don't need to go to the gym. They are very easy exercises which you can do at home whenever you have the time. >> Jim is like the nemesis for women. Yeah.
(24:27) >> But you know your massive following is a lot to do with not just how you look but how you talk about food. You make food seem so simple. >> I I want you to bust a few myths for us. So for example, I think women always think protein is the domain of men. You know what? I think protein has gone into everyone's heads.
(24:51) We're talking about X amount of protein for people. One, this whole idea of protein has come from the west. We had a wholesome meal. We used to eat that, survive. And God help our nanis and daddies, they were fit and fine. They did whole lot of work far more than we ever have. >> But they also had different air and good quality vegetables.
(25:13) >> Of course, that's true. But today I mean you see what Tukaram gi is doing and what kind of food outside ready packaged food are you sure about that it's 100% pure. You aren't right. So what's the point of hyping over something that you're unsure of? It's like a cat closing its eyes and thinking the rest of the world can't see [laughter] me, you know.
(25:44) So I think um having a nutritious meal means having enough fiber, having enough fat, carbohydrates, protein also all the essential vitamins and minerals which are in minute quantity but no one talks about those and those are the ones that are really helping your body move. Vitamin K for example, no one knows but that helps your entire blood system work, your neurological system work.
(26:11) Now nobody talks about vitamin K and then suddenly you'll find one day where everyone say and this is fortified with vitamin K. So this all I think is built up from uh companies that want to market their stuff right where protein is concerned I feel that for the vegetarian people we have your dals we have your peas you have your milk paneer you have all these kind of things but when people talk about having x amount of protein during a day then are we talking about x amount of work load also alo being done to utilize that protein because otherwise
(26:51) it's going to cause problem for your kidneys. >> But let's talk about bhag. So I mean you are at 57 fit. I mean I can't even think of you being very different from how you used to look when you were 19. >> How much protein do you put in your food? >> I don't count the >> but you increase the amount of protein as you go.
(27:12) I feel the most important thing is um we and especially in India we bond over food you know our social engagements are over food and every time if you're calculating the amount of calories that you're eating or what is on your plate it's going to be so difficult for us to >> enjoy what we are doing how do we enjoy Diwali dasher rahan [laughter] >> we do intermittent fasting for one quarter Let me tell you also about intermittent fasting is isn't good for women and more so for the menopausal women. It isn't.
(27:48) >> Okay. Our our hormones kind of work differently and we need food. It can work for a little amount of time as someone wants to lose weight. But that also has to be done under a doctor's uh you know prescription or medication or a doctor who's kind of mindfully telling you and then stop it.
(28:12) It can't be done on your own where most of the people get onto uh you know an app or just Google. >> Yeah. Or follow the diet for men. >> It doesn't work like that. So I think what is important is having a wholesome meal. Then when you talk about wholesome meals, it talks uh it includes uh fermented food, it includes u protein of course, but it includes a lot of fiber because I think fiber really takes care of balancing everything that you eat.
(28:47) So you have to have insoluble fiber and you have to have soluble fiber. >> Yeah. >> Something that can bind the fat and the carbs and take it out of your system. And then there is fiber that helps you digest. It just helps you know rotate the food in your stomach and take it out.
(29:10) So I think that helps helps keeping your insulin in control. So things like that people completely lose out when they start taking shakes. Where's the fiber in the shake? But that's an addition to the rest of the meal. >> Oh, let me tell you, lots of women just live on those protein shakes. >> I also have them, but I have them after my breakfast.
(29:31) >> Yeah, we we're talking about food groups. >> Um, of course, our diet in India is very carb heavy. Uh, what's an advice for women in pmenopause and what they should watch in terms of increasing uh the right kind of protein and reducing the total carb? See, when we talk about protein, a wholesome protein comes from what you would call having the egg.
(29:55) But when we talk about vegetarians, there are plenty of options that vegetarians can also have different kind of dals, peas, um milk products. Now, in ds, the most important way to absorb the protein that you're eating is soaking the dal, which people don't understand. So unless they soak the dal, the dal becomes an easy source of protein to absorb which if not done, you have toxins raised in your body which kind of deter your body from absorbing the protein and then you go like but then there'll be bloating or something.
(30:34) >> Yeah. So you have all those kind of things. So that's something that one should do also more for the reason that it helps um it helps in recovery. It helps in uh resetting your body to adjusting to insulin levels to digesting to uh combat with fatigue all those kind of things. People look at peas and they go like the sugar but it's got protein.
(31:05) It's got a lot of other nutrients that your body requires. So you can have [laughter] then of course comes soy and paneer. Soy you shouldn't have very often because that would >> hormonal >> but you can have it twice a week. You can have a lot of milk products. You can have tofu. Uh so yes we do have alternatives.
(31:34) Maybe not as much as the meateers, but that doesn't mean that you should feel that there's uh you know no source of protein in a veg diet. >> Did you feel the need for supplementation? >> Well, I haven't taken medication so far, so I guess I'm doing fine. >> Non-medical supplementation, nutritional supplementation? >> No, I didn't take anything except eat real food.
(32:00) And I think that that really helps because you allow your um gut and your stomach to continue making that effort to digest food >> and like they say a variety of gut microbiome helps in maintaining optimum gut health. So if you eating different kind of food, different kind of dals, different kind of veggies, different kind of fruits every single day, you are giving your stomach a variety and making it work hard to be able to digest that.
(32:32) So if a 45 yearear-old woman comes to you and says, "If there's one thing I have to change about myself tomorrow morning, what should it be?" >> I would say it's got to do with her mind more than her body. Because I think if uh you have a happy state of mind, you live life without grudges, you don't hold on to things, I think rest of the things tend to fall in place.
(32:57) You know, you're you're happier with yourself. >> Yeah. Okay. I'm going to do a it's called the rule breaker segment. Quick answers, controversial questions, right? >> Okay. [laughter] >> Dal chaval is enough in your perimeods. You have to have enough vegetables. You can minus the dal chav but vegetables are very important.
(33:22) Ghee is a friend or an enemy. Absolute friend. It lines your stomach. Helps with uh you know anything that you want to eat. It doesn't corros your stomach lining. It gives you energy and I think it's it's fantastic. It's got a higher cooking point, so you can use that better than having vegetable oil. What is it that nobody told you about your 40s? That you could be free.
(33:51) [laughter] I think um once you understand what permenopause and menopause do to a woman's body, you realize that you've got so much to deal with within yourself that you have to stop seeking validation from outside people. So keep yourself happy girls and you can see that life becomes so much more wonderful. >> What is the one thing you want men to fix when it comes to uh women navigating Perry and Meno? >> Become better listeners for sure.
(34:23) So women listening to you right now may say but how do I get them to become a better listener? Is there a path you followed with your own uh journey and your husband? >> Well, I did tell my husband that you know their mood swings. read about them. There's per menopause and their hormonal changes.
(34:41) And if you don't understand, please Google them as everyone else does. And if you don't want to Google them, listen to me. But when I come to you, I'm not asking for a solution. I'm just asking you to listen. And what I say today, I may not mean to tomorrow and I may mean it again day after. But it's all right because I take everything that you say um easily and I believe that if we have to meet half and we have to navigate the rest of our marriage with peace, you have to become a good listener. Fair.
(35:17) What do women DM you in the middle of the night about their health? Um well most of them are bothered about exercise and how they can really start exercising because they feel that they don't have the time and I say 10 minutes a day is good enough as long as you do it in the morning because you get your metabolism kick started and that's something that's non-negotiable as you go through life.
(35:47) I think it's important to keep your metabolism on a high more than bothering about other things because then it becomes so much more easy to digest things to eat things that you love and um go on without actually falling prey to any kind of disease. Final question. I've always seen you thin or at least you wear your weight well.
(36:09) [laughter] That said, if you wake up one morning with belly fat and menopausal weight gain, what will you do with yourself? What will it mean for you? H I Well, if you tell me actually then I'll have to work hard towards getting rid of it, which would start off right from that very minute. But if you were to have a tongue and cheek answer, I would say I would dance myself to glory and say, "Bring it on, man.
(36:44) Let me finish the years as it is with a smile on my face." >> I'm sure nobody believes the second part. Thank [laughter] you. because you've always been so conscious about it. But you said if I were to wake up with all these things if they are there and I don't have an alternate to get out of it then you might as well accept it and you know live on >> but there's always an alternate to work hard on it wants to.
(37:09) >> Yes. No judgment at this no judgment for that but it shouldn't be at the cost of your happiness. All that I say that post your 40 um I've always said this the word happiness has I in the center for a reason. You are your source of happiness and your happiness should revolve around you.
(37:31) Only if you're happy can you have the people around you and the people that you love happy also because if you are unhappy all that you spread is unhappiness. Okay. >> Thank you very much. What a pleasure. >> Thank you. Thank you so much.
Author Name:SheThePeople TV
Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@shethepeople.tv
Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOljkUufHyQ
Title: Protein has gone into our heads! | Hacks to Deal with Perimeopause | Bhagyashree x Shaili Chopra
Author Name: SheThePeople TV
Description: Why did Bhagyashree step away from Bollywood after Maine Pyaar Kiya at the peak of her career? What was it like becoming a wife at just 19? And how did one of India's most loved actresses reinvent herself into a trusted voice on women's health, nutrition, fitness and menopause?
In this deeply honest episode of The Rulebreaker Show with Shaili Chopra, Bhagyashree opens up like never before. From rejecting Maine Pyaar Kiya seven times, navigating early marriage, handling overnight fame, and returning to Bollywood in her 50s, to sharing practical advice on perimenopause, menopause, metabolism, protein, intermittent fasting, exercise and healthy ageing, this conversation is packed with wisdom every woman (and every man) should hear.
If you've ever wondered how to stay fit after 40, deal with hormonal changes, build healthy eating habits, or redefine success on your own terms, this episode is for you.
About Bhagyashree:
Bhagyashree is an acclaimed Indian actress, wellness advocate and nutrition enthusiast who became a household name with her iconic debut in Maine Pyaar Kiya. Over the years, she has successfully reinvented herself beyond cinema, becoming one of India's most trusted voices on fitness, nutrition, healthy ageing and women's health. Through her practical advice and evidence-based approach to wellness, she continues to inspire millions to lead healthier, happier lives while embracing every stage of life with confidence.
In this episode, we discuss:
• Why Bhagyashree almost never did Maine Pyaar Kiya
• The truth behind leaving Bollywood after becoming a superstar
• Getting married at 19 and whether early marriage works
• Success, fear and owning your life choices
• Returning to acting in her 50s
• Perimenopause and menopause explained simply
• The emotional struggles women don't talk about
• Protein myths every Indian should stop believing
• Why intermittent fasting may not work for women
• Nutrition, metabolism and healthy ageing
• Exercise, bone health and longevity
• What every husband should know about menopause
• The biggest health mistakes women make today
Whether you're in your 20s, 40s or 60s, this conversation will change the way you think about health, relationships, ageing and living fearlessly.
Timestamps:
00:00 - Precap - What's in store in this episode!
01:34 - What rules has Bhagyashree not broken?
02:07 - I rejected Maine Pyaar Kiya 7 times!
02:28 - I got married at 19 because...
03:15 - Do you regret leaving Bollywood?
04:23 - You have to own your mistakes!
04:42 - Everyone still remembers you. How?
05:12 - So much success at 19 was scary!
06:44 - Is it better to marry early?
08:43 - Does compromise reduce women in a marriage?
09:40 - Being back on Bollywood sets in your 50s
11:34 - How do you keep up with the energy levels?
12:29 - Menopause taught me: Bhaad mein jaye sab!
13:48 - How difficult was perimenopause for you?
15:34 - Breaking down perimenopause symptoms and solutions
18:30 - Why knowledge is the biggest weapon during menopause
18:59 - I used to cry in the shower when...
20:17 - How does Bhagyashree exercise?
22:30 - What happens to metabolism during menopause?
24:27 - Food made simple: Busting protein myths
25:14 - Look at what Tukaram Mundhe is doing...
26:53 - Fit at 57: How much protein does Bhagyashree eat?
27:40 - Intermittent fasting is NOT good for women!
28:25 - What does a wholesome meal look like?
29:32 - The right way for vegetarians to eat protein and dal
31:42 - Are supplements really necessary?
32:31 - The one thing every woman should change today
33:03 - Rulebreaker Rapid Fire
33:22 - Is ghee a friend or an enemy?
33:44 - The secret to thriving in your 40s
34:13 - What every man should know about menopause
35:16 - What do women DM Bhagyashree about?
36:02 - What if you suddenly gained weight?
If this conversation inspired you, don't forget to Like, Comment, Share, and Subscribe to SheThePeople for more conversations with women who are breaking barriers and redefining success.
Connect with SheThePeople:
Website: https://www.shethepeople.tv/
Instagram: / shethepeopletv
Twitter: / shethepeople
LinkedIn: / shethepeople
Connect with Shaili Chopra:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shailichopr...
LinkedIn: / shailichopra
Substack: https://shailichopra.substack.com/about
Website: https://www.shailichopra.com/
Also check out some of our popular podcast playlists:
Rulebreaker: • The Shaili Chopra Show
Sexual Health Matters: • Sexual Health Matters
Know Your Body: • All you need to know about your body- by D...
Transcript:
(00:00) I think I'm Destiny's [music] child because everything that one is not supposed to do, I did all of it. Then came served on a platter to me and I kept saying no to it at least seven times before [music] I finally managed to take the plunge. I decided to get married barely at the age of 19 and much against the wishes of my parents.
(00:23) Did it take you this phase of pmenopause and menopause before you could say that varnizer? [music] Well, yes, menopause does teach you a lot. I used to cry a lot in the shower whenever I felt like what kind of food [music] outside ready packaged food are you sure about that it's 100% pure.
(00:45) You see what the karam gi is doing. You make food seem so simple. I want you to bust a few myths for us. Women always think protein is the domain of men. You know what I think protein has? The word happiness has [music] I in the center for a reason. You are your source of happiness and your happiness should revolve around you.
(01:05) What's going on with women in pmenopause and menopause? What's happening to the metabolism? [music] Well, metabolism does slow. The whole world got to know Bhagish's name and then she said, "Okay, I'm off." What has that decision after many decades [music] meant like for you? Hello and welcome. We're breaking the rules, but what rules are we breaking? Well, today's person on the seed is a rule breaker. Bhagashi, welcome.
(01:44) >> Hi. Thank you for having me on the show. >> What rules has Bhagashri not broken? >> Not broken. [laughter] >> [gasps] >> Oh well, you know, actually I don't know how to say it, but I think I'm Destiny's child because everything that one is not supposed to do, I did all of it. Um, then APA came served on a platter to me and um, you know, people work so hard to kind of get their first film.
(02:17) I didn't have to work hard and I kept saying no to it at least seven times before I finally managed to take the plunge. So yes, that was breaking rule number one. The second rule that I broke was being the most obedient child uh of my parents, listening to everything that they said and yet when it came to matters of the heart, I took a step that probably no one would.
(02:45) I decided to get married really early, barely at the age of 19 and much against the wishes of my parents. Rule number two got broken. I decided after a super hit like Manipa not to do films anymore and look after my husband, my children, my family and give them priority. Rule number three that I broke.
(03:12) So yes, let's begin with what else am I going to break now? >> Yeah. [laughter] See, you know, I just keep wondering like the whole world got to know Bhagish's name and then she said, "Okay, I'm off, right?" And I'm off at 19. >> Mhm. >> What has that decision after many decades meant like for you? I think I've always stood by commitment and prioritizing my life and I think that's helped because then you don't have regrets.
(03:41) You don't look back upon decisions that you've made because I think we are placed on crossroads very often in life and probably every single day and the decision that you take at that particular time always is the right decision that you take for yourself. It's only when you reflect and you talk about ifs and buts and that's when you think oh should I have done this? >> Yeah.
(04:06) >> Would this be different? Am I going wrong? And I feel life is meant to be led as and how it comes. And every time you ask yourself an if or a but you're kind of putting a pause button to your life >> and uh I don't think that's worth it. >> So is it fair to say Bhagashri has that attitude? My mistakes are mine.
(04:27) I'll see Joa. Yeah, as long as you own it, you know, I'm not blaming anyone for anything. And as long as you own the decisions that you uh make, you bear the consequences. Well, no one else should be bothered about it. You know what's so powerful about this conversation is that we're having this conversation when you're 57 at 19, manipri.
(04:54) Well, for that I have to uh say that I feel truly truly blessed and I thank the Lord God and I thank all the people that have kept me alive in their hearts. >> So >> I don't take credit for that. I say it's the love of the people that have kept me alive. >> But you also have said that you've you know success came so early in such large scale.
(05:21) >> Yeah. Yeah. >> That maybe you didn't know what you were doing in 19 with all of that. >> It was it was definitely overwhelming and um it was scary. You know, it's like suddenly everyone knows you everywhere that you go you are likeounded and um when you're not really prepared for it, I think um you want to withdraw into a shell trying to assertain where you stand and is this what really makes you happy? Is this what really makes you tick? Is this what you want in life? And I think when I answered those questions,
(05:58) I found my happiness in my little son, you know. I wanted to spend all my time with him. I I guess I wanted to play house, you know, play play with my dollhouse. This was my little doll and this was my home and my house. and I wanted to do all those things first as I think um most of the girls at that age would want to do.
(06:20) It's only that now people look back and say you know career is the thing and you have to move forward and um you have to be able to balance both worlds or >> prioritize your career and um it's fair it's fair for people who find their happiness doing that but for me >> I think I knew where my source of happiness was coming and that's why today I don't have regrets >> but you know there are so many people now as they say the cycle is turning again there are people who are saying We weren't an early marriage. I'm just kind
(06:52) of curious what your thought is having been one who did that decades ago. >> Do you still feel that marrying at 19 would make sense? >> Not probably now at 19. I mean, I don't blame my parents for telling me no at that point of time. They felt that I was too young. And fairly enough, I would do the same if it were my daughter.
(07:12) I would feel that uh marrying early young I mean in your 20s I wouldn't say uh marrying at 19 but probably late 20s or early 30s is the right time for a girl to get married >> um more so for a couple of things. one, your body provides you much more energy, much more youthfulness to be able to enjoy your marriage, to be able to enjoy child birth in case you want children, to be able to enjoy life in general with your partner.
(07:48) So, I think that's >> also a time where you're understanding each other, molding into one another's um >> what do you say? >> Systems. >> Your systems. Yeah. But yeah, I think post um the latter half of 30, I think everyone becomes more individualistic >> and then it becomes difficult to adjust, change, compromise, um even place another person first if I may say.
(08:17) >> Yeah. >> And in a marriage, you have to meet each other halfway. You have to, you know, as someone who says that I'm going to be the person I am and I care too who it's about the other person. I don't think marriages run like that. It's all about caring for one another, uh, letting the person be, but also kind of trying to make the other person happy.
(08:42) >> Yeah. >> You know, and would you say would you say that sometimes compromise makes a woman feel reduced in a marriage? depends on what he's compromising on. See, um, two people living together, I'm not just talking about two partners or husband and wife. I mean, you compromise even when you stay with your parents, right? Or the parents compromise on hell of a lot of things when they're living with their children.
(09:11) Why doesn't the society point out at that? It's just two basic individuals, two different thought processes, two different mindsets. There is going to be friction. There is going to be a place where you don't understand what the other person is trying to say or you want to hold on to what you think is right. But that doesn't mean that you can't walk together.
(09:33) It's um it's a very fine line about agreeing to disagree you know. >> So let's come back to acting. >> You went back to the sets in your 50s. What did what did the sets ask of Bhagashri her energy her body you know her vanity after many decades uh back on the set there was a little bit of um nervousness a whole lot of excitement um mainly because you know my children have been the wind beneath my wings and um when they said mom you know when you talk about films and you talk about acting we can see the you know your face
(10:15) light up and there's a spark in your eyes and um you know just go there and do your thing. So it took me a while to kind of think that you know can I can I fit into this space right now. So I took my time send out a little feelers somewhere people came and asked me and then slowly people started approaching me and I started taking you know uh certain roles working with people that I would feel comfortable with that was also a very big thing for me >> but the kind of affection that I have received on the set I have to tell you
(10:57) it is it it I mean I just feel so overwhelmed that after so many decades people are still you know remembering instances out of manipa they are making sure that they narrate tales about their youth or when they fell in love or how menarchia influenced them or how they were in love with me and they had those postcards at that point of time or the video cassettes.
(11:24) >> So for me it was >> oh my god how wonderful. I mean, yeah, I missed all of this, you know. So, it was it was lovely being on set. And um >> How did you keep up with the energy needed, you know, because body has changed? >> Two kids. >> Mm- No, >> I feel I'm so much more energized right now than I was when I was younger.
(11:47) I think I was uh I wasn't that confident. I was very worried about a lot of things, you know, doing something wrong, taking the wrong decision, wondering what people had to say. I constantly seek for validation outside. >> Today, I think I'm in a space where >> I'm going to do my own thing and I'm enjoying what I'm doing.
(12:10) And >> well, >> I think people, you know, like that. Yeah, >> I think uh when you have that kind of aura or energy um I think it's more than welcome when people look at you they don't feel negativity and touchwood I must say I don't receive negativity at all. >> Is it is it that that you feel energized or is it also that because you're like I don't care what people think now a little bit of both.
(12:40) [laughter] >> I must agree a little bit of both. So did it take you this phase of pmenopause and menopause before you could say that? Well, yes, menopause does teach you a lot and uh because I was um say meeting a lot of doctors at that point of time, that was also one thing that I was doing and having a lot of those conversations, it uh made me more bodily aware so I could take my permenopause and all the problems that go with it in my stride and I could understand it, you know, understand how to deal with it. And by
(13:16) by the time you reach your 45 and 50 and you say, is it really worth, you know, spending so much time worrying about what people have to say and what things you have to do? And it's about time that you live your life. And I've always said that, you know, um, life goes up and then it comes down. And you know that you've got those few years around the sun.
(13:42) >> Yeah. and you want to live them to your fullest and you say might as well live them now. >> Fair. >> So what was it like? Because a lot of women wouldn't be in this position to say that oh you know what I had that's I had a sense of what was going on or I had access >> and a lot of women who watch our show often want to know like how are women on screen like yourself managing this roller coaster? What was pmenopause like for you? How difficult was the phase? a lot of mood swings, hot flashes, um getting worked up,
(14:18) suddenly having what do you call a mind fog, not remembering your lines, not remembering what you left the room for. So yes, I had all of it. But if um I think it's also taking care of your body at that point of time where I did put everything else on the back burner and I said I have to look after myself first.
(14:40) So doing the right kind of exercise, eating the right kind of food, um I would actually tell my husband, you know, I'm going to have this outburst. I don't need you to give me answers. I just need you to keep quiet and listen. Just look at me and listen. Don't say a word. And I would go blabber off and and walk out of the room, not even waiting for him to answer.
(15:09) I think that made a lot of difference because if you're not aware of it and you just spark off a conversation and the other person may not know what you're going through to deal with it. >> So I think making people around you aware that helps. >> Yeah. >> Uh of course they have to be sensitive enough to understand [laughter] >> or or they have to care to be okay with it.
(15:34) Okay. Let's unpack a bunch of things you said. Which one of these symptoms was like the hardest for you to deal with? You know, you mentioned a bunch of them that tend to happen to women in pmenopause and when they were happening, what did you do to manage? Was was anger the biggest issue, hot flushes, or was it a more physical reaction? I'm going to I'm going to kind of answer each one of them because I think that's very important also because u you know, let me start off saying that uh we did a doctor's panel in Nanavati Hospital.
(16:04) That's something that I realized while going through my per menopause and I did it for the women. We got a bunch of doctors and we had an open session where we invited all the women come register, fill up the seats and just hear and ask normal questions to all the doctors of what happens in menopause, how they can deal with it.
(16:29) And uh doing so not only did I learn a lot but I think I helped a lot of women to the extent that post that we did about nine sessions over there. They actually started a special unit only for menopause. >> That's amazing. >> So which was great but coming to all the symptoms well I had a lot of night sweats and it would be so horrible.
(16:50) you know, you drenched in sweat, keep on changing your night clothes, uh your bed gets wet, so you don't want to sleep there again. So, I mean, that was such a horrible time I feel because you get up having less sleep. You're you're feeling uncomfortable within your body. And I think the only thing that I could say is um keep a night suit next to you or a nighty next to you so you don't have to rush, you know, opening doors and finding things in the middle of the night.
(17:25) Keep a bottle of talcum powder if you need. Keep an extra bed sheet. Keep all these things by your side so you don't waste your time doing all these things in the middle of the night because if you start searching for things, you kind of lose your sleep in the bargain. So that's what I did. >> Um I didn't want to take therapy. So I kind of adjusted the food accordingly.
(17:52) I had a lot of pomegranate juice. I had hibiscus tea. I made sure that I have my um nuts, had enough of fiber, reduced the amount of sugar that I had. So you know certain kind of nutrition that you have to kind of adjust at that point of time to make things easier. Take a lot of sunlight and fresh air. I think that is so important.
(18:19) Being able to meditate which is so difficult. I still don't know how to meditate but just sitting by yourself um for 10 minutes just breathing right just calms you down. I can I can hear in your voice that you had to go acquire all this knowledge. >> Yes, of course. And you you do it because you want to do it for yourself instead of getting harrowed and harrowing people around you.
(18:43) I think awareness and knowledge >> both help you uh maneuver through life at different stages for different things in your life. And if you understand that, I think um most people would become peaceful instead of getting hassled. Yeah, there was a very powerful thing Ratna Paratakra said. She was in the same seat as you were.
(19:04) >> She said, "One advice I have for women is don't dump your menopause on others, particularly not on your kids." And the way she said it, it was such a practical example of how one should be >> making an effort to find answers so that you don't land up sort of interfering in other people's lives. >> Absolutely.
(19:21) >> But it's easier said than done, right? Because the mood swings are heavy, the anger, then you always need to get that relief. that you just [laughter] said. So I used to cry a lot in the shower whenever I felt like, you know, I'm getting into those tearyy things. I said just let water wash away whatever energies are there.
(19:43) And I believe in a lot of um aura. >> So I feel when you when you just immerse yourself in water, it kind of seeps through all your sorrows and just takes it away. It just washes it away. So yeah, I think I had a shower at least four or five times during the [laughter] day at that point of time. >> But that helped and um yeah, when I felt sad or when I couldn't understand, I just went and cried in the shower and I said, you know, come out all looking happy and fresh.
(20:17) >> Yeah. So you know, movement plays a very big role. Yes. >> Um yet, you know, and I speak to so many people in a day and they'll say that time passing >> okay right women are busy either are they at work or they're working at home whichever way and they'll say that it's so easy said to say move it move how how does Bhagashri the nutritionist really say move what does that mean for a woman in menopause see when people say they don't have the time to exercise they don't have 1 hour at a go but you definitely have 7 minutes 10 minutes
(20:55) >> during the day, plenty of time in between where you can on a regular basis. And metabolism is triggered only by continuous movement, not by movement at one go. >> So you can break it up into different times. I don't leave my bedroom without 10 minutes of mobility. So when you get up in the morning, it's as easy as you go into the bathroom and wash your face and brush your teeth and you learn how to breathe.
(21:24) And it just takes you can time yourself and it doesn't take more than 10 minutes. So you can get up 10 minutes earlier. It's possible you know and you can take those 10 minutes even when you're cooking. It's like people say post pregnancy. And how do they kind of um manage not to pee when they cough later? you know, whether it's pregnancy or menopause, that is such an important part because you feel that if you're coughing or sneezing and you don't know when your bladder is going to lose control.
(21:57) >> Yeah. >> And it's so easy to do it because you just have to do the kegle exercises when you're standing up. I could be doing it right now and you wouldn't even know. >> Correct. >> Right. So when people say I don't have the time, nonsense. Who doesn't have time for themselves? You can take out time and you should take out time because a happy person will be able to make other people happy.
(22:20) So if you're saying that they are the reason for you not, you know, making that effort, then you should make the effort for them, right? >> Simple. >> Let's talk about some of the things that you said. Let's talk about metabolism. >> What's going on with women in pmenopause and menopause? What's happening to their metabolism? >> Well, metabolism does slow down.
(22:43) what happened in your 30s, you have to work harder in your 40s and when you reach your 50s, you double it up and by the time you reach your 60s, God help you, much more effort. [laughter] But u if you do that gradually, then it becomes so much more easy. you know, um, when you take your DEXA scan somewhere in your late 40s or 50s, you realize that as we age, our bones do get brittle.
(23:11) >> And if you have that genetically with you, then the only alternate is to build muscle to support that bone system, that skeletal system. >> And you need to do weightbearing exercises. And I tell everyone, you know, you could have a Bentley or you could have a, you know, a Ferrari or a Rolls-Royce in your garage, but if you don't run it, it's going to get rust. It's going to stop working.
(23:41) So, anything that >> you um use regularly remains in the best kind of shape. So, if you don't use your bones and your muscles, they are going to deteriorate. A simple exercise of getting off the chair without using support with your legs on 90°. This is what I keep explaining to everyone. Do that just 20 times a day.
(24:08) 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening. And that will keep your knees intact, your hipbones intact. You'll be able to um you know have strength in your legs. >> Yeah. >> So these are very simple things. You don't need to go to the gym. They are very easy exercises which you can do at home whenever you have the time. >> Jim is like the nemesis for women. Yeah.
(24:27) >> But you know your massive following is a lot to do with not just how you look but how you talk about food. You make food seem so simple. >> I I want you to bust a few myths for us. So for example, I think women always think protein is the domain of men. You know what? I think protein has gone into everyone's heads.
(24:51) We're talking about X amount of protein for people. One, this whole idea of protein has come from the west. We had a wholesome meal. We used to eat that, survive. And God help our nanis and daddies, they were fit and fine. They did whole lot of work far more than we ever have. >> But they also had different air and good quality vegetables.
(25:13) >> Of course, that's true. But today I mean you see what Tukaram gi is doing and what kind of food outside ready packaged food are you sure about that it's 100% pure. You aren't right. So what's the point of hyping over something that you're unsure of? It's like a cat closing its eyes and thinking the rest of the world can't see [laughter] me, you know.
(25:44) So I think um having a nutritious meal means having enough fiber, having enough fat, carbohydrates, protein also all the essential vitamins and minerals which are in minute quantity but no one talks about those and those are the ones that are really helping your body move. Vitamin K for example, no one knows but that helps your entire blood system work, your neurological system work.
(26:11) Now nobody talks about vitamin K and then suddenly you'll find one day where everyone say and this is fortified with vitamin K. So this all I think is built up from uh companies that want to market their stuff right where protein is concerned I feel that for the vegetarian people we have your dals we have your peas you have your milk paneer you have all these kind of things but when people talk about having x amount of protein during a day then are we talking about x amount of work load also alo being done to utilize that protein because otherwise
(26:51) it's going to cause problem for your kidneys. >> But let's talk about bhag. So I mean you are at 57 fit. I mean I can't even think of you being very different from how you used to look when you were 19. >> How much protein do you put in your food? >> I don't count the >> but you increase the amount of protein as you go.
(27:12) I feel the most important thing is um we and especially in India we bond over food you know our social engagements are over food and every time if you're calculating the amount of calories that you're eating or what is on your plate it's going to be so difficult for us to >> enjoy what we are doing how do we enjoy Diwali dasher rahan [laughter] >> we do intermittent fasting for one quarter Let me tell you also about intermittent fasting is isn't good for women and more so for the menopausal women. It isn't.
(27:48) >> Okay. Our our hormones kind of work differently and we need food. It can work for a little amount of time as someone wants to lose weight. But that also has to be done under a doctor's uh you know prescription or medication or a doctor who's kind of mindfully telling you and then stop it.
(28:12) It can't be done on your own where most of the people get onto uh you know an app or just Google. >> Yeah. Or follow the diet for men. >> It doesn't work like that. So I think what is important is having a wholesome meal. Then when you talk about wholesome meals, it talks uh it includes uh fermented food, it includes u protein of course, but it includes a lot of fiber because I think fiber really takes care of balancing everything that you eat.
(28:47) So you have to have insoluble fiber and you have to have soluble fiber. >> Yeah. >> Something that can bind the fat and the carbs and take it out of your system. And then there is fiber that helps you digest. It just helps you know rotate the food in your stomach and take it out.
(29:10) So I think that helps helps keeping your insulin in control. So things like that people completely lose out when they start taking shakes. Where's the fiber in the shake? But that's an addition to the rest of the meal. >> Oh, let me tell you, lots of women just live on those protein shakes. >> I also have them, but I have them after my breakfast.
(29:31) >> Yeah, we we're talking about food groups. >> Um, of course, our diet in India is very carb heavy. Uh, what's an advice for women in pmenopause and what they should watch in terms of increasing uh the right kind of protein and reducing the total carb? See, when we talk about protein, a wholesome protein comes from what you would call having the egg.
(29:55) But when we talk about vegetarians, there are plenty of options that vegetarians can also have different kind of dals, peas, um milk products. Now, in ds, the most important way to absorb the protein that you're eating is soaking the dal, which people don't understand. So unless they soak the dal, the dal becomes an easy source of protein to absorb which if not done, you have toxins raised in your body which kind of deter your body from absorbing the protein and then you go like but then there'll be bloating or something.
(30:34) >> Yeah. So you have all those kind of things. So that's something that one should do also more for the reason that it helps um it helps in recovery. It helps in uh resetting your body to adjusting to insulin levels to digesting to uh combat with fatigue all those kind of things. People look at peas and they go like the sugar but it's got protein.
(31:05) It's got a lot of other nutrients that your body requires. So you can have [laughter] then of course comes soy and paneer. Soy you shouldn't have very often because that would >> hormonal >> but you can have it twice a week. You can have a lot of milk products. You can have tofu. Uh so yes we do have alternatives.
(31:34) Maybe not as much as the meateers, but that doesn't mean that you should feel that there's uh you know no source of protein in a veg diet. >> Did you feel the need for supplementation? >> Well, I haven't taken medication so far, so I guess I'm doing fine. >> Non-medical supplementation, nutritional supplementation? >> No, I didn't take anything except eat real food.
(32:00) And I think that that really helps because you allow your um gut and your stomach to continue making that effort to digest food >> and like they say a variety of gut microbiome helps in maintaining optimum gut health. So if you eating different kind of food, different kind of dals, different kind of veggies, different kind of fruits every single day, you are giving your stomach a variety and making it work hard to be able to digest that.
(32:32) So if a 45 yearear-old woman comes to you and says, "If there's one thing I have to change about myself tomorrow morning, what should it be?" >> I would say it's got to do with her mind more than her body. Because I think if uh you have a happy state of mind, you live life without grudges, you don't hold on to things, I think rest of the things tend to fall in place.
(32:57) You know, you're you're happier with yourself. >> Yeah. Okay. I'm going to do a it's called the rule breaker segment. Quick answers, controversial questions, right? >> Okay. [laughter] >> Dal chaval is enough in your perimeods. You have to have enough vegetables. You can minus the dal chav but vegetables are very important.
(33:22) Ghee is a friend or an enemy. Absolute friend. It lines your stomach. Helps with uh you know anything that you want to eat. It doesn't corros your stomach lining. It gives you energy and I think it's it's fantastic. It's got a higher cooking point, so you can use that better than having vegetable oil. What is it that nobody told you about your 40s? That you could be free.
(33:51) [laughter] I think um once you understand what permenopause and menopause do to a woman's body, you realize that you've got so much to deal with within yourself that you have to stop seeking validation from outside people. So keep yourself happy girls and you can see that life becomes so much more wonderful. >> What is the one thing you want men to fix when it comes to uh women navigating Perry and Meno? >> Become better listeners for sure.
(34:23) So women listening to you right now may say but how do I get them to become a better listener? Is there a path you followed with your own uh journey and your husband? >> Well, I did tell my husband that you know their mood swings. read about them. There's per menopause and their hormonal changes.
(34:41) And if you don't understand, please Google them as everyone else does. And if you don't want to Google them, listen to me. But when I come to you, I'm not asking for a solution. I'm just asking you to listen. And what I say today, I may not mean to tomorrow and I may mean it again day after. But it's all right because I take everything that you say um easily and I believe that if we have to meet half and we have to navigate the rest of our marriage with peace, you have to become a good listener. Fair.
(35:17) What do women DM you in the middle of the night about their health? Um well most of them are bothered about exercise and how they can really start exercising because they feel that they don't have the time and I say 10 minutes a day is good enough as long as you do it in the morning because you get your metabolism kick started and that's something that's non-negotiable as you go through life.
(35:47) I think it's important to keep your metabolism on a high more than bothering about other things because then it becomes so much more easy to digest things to eat things that you love and um go on without actually falling prey to any kind of disease. Final question. I've always seen you thin or at least you wear your weight well.
(36:09) [laughter] That said, if you wake up one morning with belly fat and menopausal weight gain, what will you do with yourself? What will it mean for you? H I Well, if you tell me actually then I'll have to work hard towards getting rid of it, which would start off right from that very minute. But if you were to have a tongue and cheek answer, I would say I would dance myself to glory and say, "Bring it on, man.
(36:44) Let me finish the years as it is with a smile on my face." >> I'm sure nobody believes the second part. Thank [laughter] you. because you've always been so conscious about it. But you said if I were to wake up with all these things if they are there and I don't have an alternate to get out of it then you might as well accept it and you know live on >> but there's always an alternate to work hard on it wants to.
(37:09) >> Yes. No judgment at this no judgment for that but it shouldn't be at the cost of your happiness. All that I say that post your 40 um I've always said this the word happiness has I in the center for a reason. You are your source of happiness and your happiness should revolve around you.
(37:31) Only if you're happy can you have the people around you and the people that you love happy also because if you are unhappy all that you spread is unhappiness. Okay. >> Thank you very much. What a pleasure. >> Thank you. Thank you so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment