This 72-Year-Old Grandmother Exposed Everything Wrong With Modern Health | Barbara O'Neill
Author Name:Masoom Minawala
Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@MasoomMinawala
Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdAvmUiPXiA
Title: This 72-Year-Old Grandmother Exposed Everything Wrong With Modern Health | Barbara O'Neill
Author Name: Masoom Minawala
Description: We live in a world of quick fixes, constant stimulation, and rising health anxiety yet very few of us are taught how to truly care for our bodies.
In this episode of The Masoom Minawala Show, I sit down with Barbara O’Neill, educator and natural health advocate, for a deeply grounding conversation on healing, prevention, and reconnecting with the body’s natural intelligence.
This isn’t about rejecting modern medicine. It’s about understanding when it’s needed and when the body already knows how to heal.
From simple daily habits to overlooked lifestyle triggers, Barbara shares decades of lived experience and practical wisdom that helps you take responsibility for your health.
In this conversation, we discuss:
• How Barbara’s healing journey began as a young mother
• Why medicine has a place but not in everyday living
• The body’s innate ability to heal when supported correctly
• The core principles behind her “SUSTAIN ME” framework
• Why breathing through the nose, hydration, and sleep matter more than we think
• The role of sunlight in hormone balance, brain health, and immunity
• How fabrics, detergents, and home environments impact health
• The importance of natural fibres for sleep and skin
• Why technology is disrupting sleep and the nervous system
• Simple, practical habits to reset your lifestyle without overwhelm
This episode is for you if you are:
• Feeling disconnected from your body
• Curious about natural healing and prevention
• Overwhelmed by conflicting health advice
• Wanting to build simple, sustainable daily habits
• Looking to take ownership of your health with clarity and confidence
This conversation isn’t about fixing the body. It’s about learning how to care for it.
If it offered you clarity or comfort, like, subscribe, and share it with someone who might need the same 🤍
Also Barbara O'Neil Is going to be In Bangalore This Feb. Book your tickets now : https://in.bookmyshow.com/events/heal...
Timestamps:
00:00 - Precap
1:14 - Introduction
2:07 - Barbara's Story
7:07 - Principles and timelines of her teachings
9:34 - Is Barbara Anti - Medicine?
12:48 - Daily habits to reset lifestyle
14:46 - Replacement of Tea and coffee
16:07 - Why is sunlight important to us?
18:12 - Sunscreens cause cancer?
19:24 - Best fabrics to sleep in
21:30 - AQI
23:42 - Barbara To Visit India!
24:08 - Toxins at our home
28:41 - Sleep and how to improve it
35:25 - Melatonin tablets
36:54 - What if I still can't sleep?
40:08 - Hot, cold water usage
45:11 - Thoughts on shoes
48:22 - Hot takes
48:36 - Celtic Salts
52:43 - Garlic and benefits
53:21 - Charcoal and benefits
55:40 - Remedy to boost fertility
57:41 - Best oil to use
59:18 - Modern habit that one could erase
Social Media:
My Instagram: / masoomminawala
My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/masoommin...
About Me:
A global influencer and entrepreneur, who aims at bringing Indian fashion on a global platform and popularity.
I work with my team around the clock to curate content on fashion, lifestyle, women empowerment, and inspiring personal stories.
Using my platform of 1 million followers now, I also work towards popularizing and supporting Indian designers, globally.
As a supporter and believer in women and their entrepreneurial skills, I have now founded Empowher too.
The initiative helps inspire guide, and uplift women who want to grow or kick-start their journey in the competitive world of business
#MasoomMinawala #Shorts
Transcript:
(00:00) People have lost the art of looking after their bodies. >> I know there's been some criticism on your approach. >> I'm certainly not anti- medicine. I didn't want to give my children drugs. Heart disease has always been the number one killer. It's changed. It's Alzheimer's. >> Is there a natural herb or remedy that boosts fertility or reproductive system? >> There certainly is. There's a few.
(00:24) Why has salt been demonized? [music] Why has fat been demonized? this. [laughter and gasps] People say, "Baby, what do you put on your skin?" I say, "Nothing. I just eat olive oil." [laughter] >> You've spoken repeatedly about how important sleep is. >> No technology in your bedroom while you're asleep.
(00:43) So, when my next child had an earachche, I did a very scary thing. So, water is so intensely healing. In the 1920s, if you bought swimwear, it was all made out of wool. The EQI in the northern parts of India is just alarming at this point. >> A lot of health problems began with the cheap seed oils. Vitamin D deficiency which sunscreens cause are contributing to skin cancer.
(01:09) If there's one modern habit that you could erase from everybody's life, what would you pick? Barbara O'Neal is easily one of the internet's most followed and most debated [music] natur. Her ideas are controversial. Her opinions are strong, [music] but her impact is undeniable. Millions watch her because she speaks with [music] absolute conviction about one core belief.
(01:34) The body can heal when we return to the simplest tools we already have. [music] Sunlight, nature, food, rhythm, breath. Today's conversation isn't about agreeing or disagreeing. [music] It's about understanding how she sees the world, why her views spark such intense reactions, [music] and what she believes we've forgotten about basic everyday health.
(01:52) Whether you love her or question her, this [music] episode will make you think differently about how you live, eat, rest, and care for your body. So, the first thing that I want to start with is what's your story, Barbara? What has brought you onto this path of sharing your very unique perspective on healing your body with the world and with the internet? >> Sometimes I analyze what has happened >> because [clears throat] um people say who are you? I say I'm just a little lady from the rainforest and I gave birth to six children and we were back
(02:31) to nature hippie lifestylers. I had home births. I breastfed my babies. I slept with my babies. I carried them in slings cuz I always thought, what do the island women do? What the women in Africa do? They have happy babies. I didn't want all this paraphernalia that everyone had. I just had a sling. >> I just had a sling and I breastfed them and I loved it.
(02:54) We're up in a rainforest. In fact, the locals used to call me earth mother. [laughter] >> Oh wow. But what really started my journey was um I didn't want to give my children drugs after a very it was almost a painful experience for me. Um 6 weeks four courses of antibiotics my little 18-month-old and the doctor's writing the fifth course cuz the earachche kept coming back and I thought this isn't working.
(03:24) I said does does my daughter have to be on this for the rest of her life? He was challenged by my question. He referred me to a near, nose, and throat specialist. I just sometimes wonder, does the doctor ever think this isn't working? [laughter] Does it have to be me that says, "Uh, excuse me, but this doesn't appear to be working. I'm not a doctor.
(03:43) I don't have all their training, but just to write the next course." Anyway, the ear, nose, and throat specialist said, "The child's teething. Give her these drops to keep the tubes clear." And that was it. So, when my next child had a earachche, I did a very scary thing. I didn't go to the doctor.
(04:01) See, that's very scary when that's what you've been brought up with. >> I went to the old lady next door cuz I knew I had to do something. I'm 25, she's 85. I said, "What did your mother do?" Now, she was before antibiotics when she was a child. She said, "Mom would steam up an onion on the stove." I did. The child slept.
(04:22) So, that was my beginning. That was my beginning. And that was now James James is about 46 now. [laughter] So >> Oh, he's okay. >> Oh yes. >> So this was Yeah. This was probably 44 years ago. And that started my journey >> and a journey that I was not brought up with. I was brought up with you get sick, you go to doctor. But that's what I did and it it didn't work.
(04:52) So, I began a journey of discovery. The old ladies that I got remedies off, they're long gone. I'm what's I'm the old lady now. [laughter] And I want to help those women who don't want to give their children drugs, who see that they don't cure. They're just mass symptoms. I I want to be that grandmother that says to every woman in the world, there's something else.
(05:20) And I think what caused my explosion was I think co had something to do with it cuz people said I'm scrolling you know nothing to do lockdown and they found a lady talking about an onion [laughter] they found a lady talking about garlic and as one interviewer said to me in the US a few years ago he said she said we wonder what happened and we just think we've got this high techch generation of young people who at the click of their fingers you know they go anywhere and here's a lady talking about a grated potato pus it's almost as if this is
(05:56) different and I also think co made a lot of people sit back and go hang on this is not making sense so I think there are a few things that that came together um to do this and I I know a friend said I want to put some of your stuff on Tik Tok Now, I didn't even know what Tik Tok is.
(06:22) I just know it's a social media platform I think a lot of young people like. Someone showed me what they did one day and it was brilliant. They taken bits of me and put all these graphics with it. I thought impressive. >> Wow. >> So, it actually wasn't me that >> that did this. I think other people just saw it, thought, "This makes sense.
(06:44) " and people that had the skills and knew how to chop it up and make it interesting. I think that's all what what did it and and a and a people today who are looking for something else and I think probably I've I've been part of coming in with some answers. H. So based on your teachings, do your teachings have some principles or some guidelines? They certainly do.
(07:16) You see, probably about 2 years after the experience with the onion on the ear. I became a Christian. I started to read the Bible and it made sense. And I decided to try >> being a Christian, try knowing God. As a friend of mine who was a Christian said, Barbara, just have a taste. Just taste.
(07:41) And the pro the psalm says just taste and see that the Lord is good. So I did. And then I wanted to know how does God view this? How does God view the body? He made the body. Um [clears throat] how does God want us to treat the body when we get sick? And that opened a whole another >> another avenue. I started to read the Bible in more detail and found in the Bible, God certainly all through it, Old Testament, New Testament, he wants us to look after our bodies and gave us herbs.
(08:17) And then I went into Europe where there was a lot of history of water cures and herbal cures. So I I look back now and realize God was leading me on a journey and that certainly opened everything up. And one of my first books was the ministry of healing. >> Okay, >> this lady's a Christian author and [sighs] there's a chapter in there called the physician the educator and it says in there how let the physicians teach the people that restorative restorative power lies not in drugs but in nature.
(08:55) And I thought yes. And then she went through the basic laws of health and I've put them in an acronym sustain me which is sunshine, use of water, sleep, trust in God, abstain from anything harmful, inhale through the nose, nutrition, moderation in the good things and exercise. And >> anyway, that that ended up becoming the title of my natural remedy book.
(09:23) So when you ask are there principles that um they would be the principles >> sustain me would probably be the principles. So Barbara I have so many questions for you today about your teachings but before I dive into that I want to ask you a bit of a difficult one which is I know there's been some criticism on your approach.
(09:44) Would you say that you're anti- medicine or would you say that it needs to be used with caution? What is your perspective for >> Well, I'm I'm certainly not anti- medicine. Two years ago, I broke my my wrist and the radius bone was totally broken and out of place. And I looked at that was getting weird. I felt the pain.
(10:09) And you know what? I knew I needed some experts. So I went to emergency and I am very thankful for the skill of the orthopedic surgeon who pulled it back into place. I'm very thankful for the painkilling medication so I didn't feel and pull it back into place. There is no doubt that medicine has a place but my objection is that it's spilled out into everyday life.
(10:37) And when I sat in emergency for 6 hours, I saw the I saw the orthopedic surgeon at midnight. I went in at 6:00 p.m. >> So the question is, why did I sit in this terrible pain for 6 hours? I'm so glad I didn't know it was going to be 6 hours. That would have been hard. >> But the whole system is is clogged. I've got a sore finger.
(11:04) My little girl has a sore elbow. gravy fell on my hand. My heart's racing. I sat there thinking, I can't believe what I'm hearing. And I could see the nurses, you could see their frustration. You know, the two conclusions I came to as I sat there and I had hours to contemplate. [laughter] My two conclusions were this.
(11:30) They consider we are an enlightened age. I don't think so. I think we're dumb. We have no idea how the body works. We have no idea what to do for a burn, for a sore finger, for a racing heart. To me, they're just the basics. I sat there thinking, I could fix them. I could fix them. I could fix them. I could fix them. I could fix them.
(11:54) But of course, I couldn't because you can only fix people who come to me and want to be >> want to be fixed. The second conclusion I came to was now I know what I I now I know why I do what I do because people need to know you don't need to rush with all of its stress into emergency and who pays for all that I the taxpayer pay for all [laughter] that Australia has huge taxes so the so the that is the problem I believe that People have lost the art, the incredibly important skill of looking after their bodies,
(12:38) >> of healing their bodies themselves. >> Well, of we've got this body that can heal. We just need to know how to work with that. [laughter] >> So, if there's someone who wants to reset their lifestyle today, what are three daily habits that you would recommend for them to adopt? >> Well, I can give you I can give you nine.
(13:01) Um I think the you know the most vital element needed for life if you look at the four vitals is oxygen. >> Start breathing through your nose was designed for breathing not mouth. Mouth is for speaking, singing, eating, drinking. Nose for breathing. [snorts] Breathe deeply. Use your abdominal muscles so that your your cells get more oxygen.
(13:24) The second most vital element needed for life is water. where 85% water from the neck up, 75% from the from the neck down and tea, coffee don't do it because they have con dehydrating agents in them. No, the Cokes, the sodas, no, not even juice does it. You wouldn't have a very clean body if you washed it in juice. Must be water. So I say to people, go to bed with a glass of water next to your bed.
(13:53) So the first thing you do when you wake up is drink. And please go to bed a little earlier because of technology. I think many people have got into the habit of late nights. >> I was looking at a news flash from Australia last week. Heart disease has always been the number one killer. It's changed. It's Alzheimer's. Do you know that brain doesn't work if it's dehydrated? And that brain doesn't work if it's not getting the daily recharge, which happens particularly in those hours before midnight.
(14:29) And those brain cells can't give off much energy if you're breathing through your mouth. So, isn't that interesting? The the number one killer, Alzheimer's, is hugely affected by oxygen, water, and lack of sleep. But Barbara, wouldn't you say, I mean, we have this world where everyone's roaming around with their Stanley cup and we're all hydrated.
(14:53) We're all drinking that water. We're all doing a liter or two a day. And I think people lean towards the tea or coffee because they need that energy. So, do you have a recommendation for a replacement for that tea or coffee or juice where they feel like they need something to awaken them to start their day? Well, I'm very thankful for to my father who was a who was an inventor for instilling in me the want to know why.
(15:21) Why do you wake tired? Ah, is it because you went to bed too late? Is it because you ate too late? Is it because you're not breathing in fresh air? Is it because you're sleeping surrounded by nylon, acrylic, polyester? So, I like to look at why. Why do you need that coffee? I wake up in the morning and I'm ready to go.
(15:47) And you can see I'm not young. So I like to know why why do they need that coffee? Let's let's go back and analyze why. >> And if you like sitting with a nice hot drink, try dandeline. Try chai dandelion in almond milk. But that should never take the place of water. >> Barbara, why is sunlight so important for us? Sunlight.
(16:15) Where do I start? Do you know it's very interesting. I've written many books on sunlight. If we overdo the sun, we get burnt. There's no doubt about that. I've got blue eyes, light skin. So, when I lay in the sun, I don't wear sunscreen because it's so full of chemicals. I take this 15 minutes front, 15 minutes back. Now, in the shade, if I do that every day, within a week, I've got a lovely tan.
(16:38) And I got that tan from the UV UV B rays. And the UVB rays are blocked by sunscreen. The UVB rays are the rays that hit the skin and convert a form of cholesterol just under the skin to vitamin D. And our DNA has 2,500 receptor sites for vitamin D. [snorts] And there are many people today lacking vitamin D because they're not out in the sun.
(17:09) What does vitamin D do? It actually helps in the absorption and assimilation of calcium. So, our bones and our teeth deteriorate if we're not getting enough vitamin D. And our brain needs sun and it gets sun through the eyes. And it resets our body clock. And it stimulates the pituitary gland to balance hormones. And it also increases our ability to solve mathematical problems.
(17:36) All suns sunshine through the eyes. I don't suggest we look at the sun. Mind you, the setting sun out in the desert the other day was nice to look at. [laughter] Early morning, late afternoon, maybe our eyes will tell us. But the but just being outside, those rays go through the through the eyes.
(17:56) And that's one of the ways I recover from jet lag very quickly. And that is by having my eyes my face in the sun and those rays reset my body clock. I could spend an hour on sunshine but I think that's enough for now. But what is your perspective on why the world has villainized the sun >> which is basically what has led to the birth of the sunscreen and >> well Ian Witart an interesting author and he in his book on vitamin D he has all the research to show that these sunscreens and vitamin D deficiency which sunscreens cause are contributing
(18:39) to basilc cell carcinoma which is actually the deadly form of skin cancer. If you if you burn your skin 8 to 10 times in your lifetime, that can certainly double your risk of skin cancer. We should never harm the skin by overdoing the sun. But we've got another problem today and that is underdoing the sun.
(19:04) So your reason is why has some been demonized? Why has salt been demonized? Why has fat been demonized? There's there's lots of questions you could ask there. I think most people realize now that fat's okay, >> but it's taking a while to convince people that sun is okay. We just need to use our common sense and use it wisely. >> Interesting.
(19:27) You spoke about sleeping with polyester and nylon around you >> and I want to talk to you about what the home and what our environment really does to us. What is according to you what is the best fabric that we should be sleeping in, sleeping around? >> Well, I have at my home some beautiful linen sheets. Linen's very nice.
(19:47) Uh fine cotton is very nice. Um it's one thing I love about India is the fabrics. So I really push please no polyester saris. No, don't don't let these chemical fabrics slip into this area. Nylon, acrylic and polyester were fabrics that were created in a chemical laboratory. Now that is enough for me and I know someone has made a fortune out of polyester.
(20:15) I know in uh the the countries where they grow the sheep, which is Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand, those farmers are going out of business cuz no one's buying wool anymore. And I loved being with my Scottish bodyguard last year. He's an ex-Marine. And he told me that the Marines use woolen underwear because it is so it's really thin, of course, but it dries very quickly when they're doing their workouts.
(20:47) They they find that it doesn't get sticky. It dries quickly. And if they get really sweaty and the wind hits them, it they don't chill with the wool. >> And my daughter Julia and I were just exploring woolen swimsuits. >> And I think Julia found about 10 different sites of woolen. But back to the bedroom, our best sheets are natural fiber.
(21:15) There's been some question marks even about bamboo because of the chemicals used to soften the bamboo. So let's just go back to the basics, the linens and the cotton. >> Air quality is a growing concern everywhere. You know, especially in India, this is something we're dealing with right now. The AQI in the northern parts of India is just alarming at this point.
(21:42) Is there something that people could do to deal with that? >> Well, God gave us something wonderful to purify the air. It's called trees. >> [laughter] [gasps] >> the trees, the leaves of the trees actually take the waste from the air and they give off beautiful oxygen. And I know that's not always possible for everyone, but please be mindful of that. You can also buy air purifiers.
(22:07) The spider plant we see in Australia almost as a weed. In fact, I put it in my garden one day and I will never do that again because it just takes over. It's called a spider plant because the leaves, yes, they're they're long and fine and they are alternating white and green in the stripes.
(22:28) But the reason they're called a spider plant is because every now and then they put out a long stalk and then it look the new looks like a spider [laughter] and they're tiny little baby leaves and it can be a beautiful plant. say if it was sitting there, those long spikes would be out with their their their long things plus the the leaves come like that.
(22:51) So, a lot of people do use them um because they are a pretty plant. But the research shows that they are the most effective at purifying the air. And I think it's because their leaves are so numerous. Even though the leaves aren't as big as some other plants, the surface area is bigger than plants with big leaves like like the fig plant that has big leaves.
(23:17) Because if you were to assess the surface area on the spider plant leaf and the surface area on the fig, it's a larger surface area because the leaves are so numerous. >> Interesting. I actually think this could be so helpful for so many people. And the other is it's really hard to kill this plant. >> So even for people who aren't gardeners, it's >> it's a easy plant to grow.
(23:42) >> I'm thrilled to share something special with all of you. On the 5th of February 2026, Barbara O'Neal will be live in Bengaluru for a one-day event titled The Healing Blueprint. This session will dive deep into gut health, skin, hair, and hormonal balance, and how simple lifestyle choices can create the perfect conditions for your body to heal itself.
(24:03) If you've ever wanted to learn Barbara's principles directly from her, this is your opportunity. What are the most overlooked sources of toxins in our home that we don't even realize are really harming us? >> I I think especially for women, is the underwear. >> Okay. Um, most pe most women are very surprised when I start talking about the fabrics that most ladies clothes are made out of.
(24:32) Ladies love polyester nylon acrylic because you don't have to iron it. And if you go to buy a bra in your average um department store, probably you might get 10% of them are cotton. So th this is a big one and it's also a contributing factor to the hormonal imbalance that we are seeing in women and also sportsear. >> So when when you're exercising and your body warms up your pores open and your hot body heats that fabric which increases the uptake from your skin from the chemicals that are in that fabric.
(25:11) Another one is uh the washing detergents. I've had some people in my home. We have friends come and stay from time to time. And I come in and immediately get the chemical washing detergents and put them in the bin. And so that's another one. Unless you rinse those clothes 10 times, and no washing machine does that, there there is a remnant still left in your clothes.
(25:40) So, it's not only the clothes you're wearing, but what you're washing them with. But I think another really hidden one is the chemicals that people clean with. So, in my laundry cupboard in Australia, you'll find sodium bicarbonate and white vinegar and a little bottle of eucalyptus oil or could be lavender oil to make the give a nice scent in the bathroom.
(26:05) So, I think I think they're areas that a lot of people aren't aware of. I remember one guest after I talked about the fabric, she came to me and she said, "Barbara, I've just looked at all my clothes and I'm going to have to throw them all out." [laughter] [gasps] And I said, "Well, the good news is >> there are secondhand shops [laughter] where you can get some very nice clothes at a reasonable price.
(26:28) And sometimes it is better for a lady to have a few choice >> articles, you know, and the beauty of skirts and tops. You can have a skirt that can have three or four different tops. So, it's just looking at how you can manage your wardrobe. >> Very interesting, Barbara. Especially for someone who works in the fashion industry. It's it's very intriguing.
(26:49) >> It is. I know at Misty Mountain if and I'll be there uh for six weeks, December, January, and we've already ordered my woolen swimsuits. And if I go to the steam sauna in this, every lady's going to say, "Barbara, what have you got there?" And [laughter] I'll say, "I'm so glad you asked." In fact, I think it'll be such um >> a hot topic that uh that I said to Michael, I think we might even start selling them in our shop.
(27:18) But I'll try them first. >> In fact, it's interesting. They're saying we got to go back because in the 1920s, if you if you bought swimwear, it was all made out of wool. And I think the wool today is a lot finer and there's, you know, maybe 10% elastine in it. So it's not >> drooping off you. [laughter] >> That's very interesting.
(27:43) And I do feel like this could be >> such a fresh perspective for the fashion industry. Also like a good business idea that you planted here. So that's exciting. >> It is. It is. You see in our steam sauna at home because there you getting so hot and what does everyone wear? They wear their swimsuits. M. >> So what I do and have always done, I wear a little pair of cotton shorts and a little cotton crop top.
(28:06) That's what I wear when I go into the steam. The nicest, of course, is wearing nothing. But not every lady's happy to do that. [laughter] >> That requires self love and confidence, which I think we're all yearning for. >> Yes. And even if you don't love what you look like now, well, what what you learn at Misty Mountain? In fact, some of the ladies say, "Barbara, if we live like you, will we start looking like you?" [laughter] And I laugh and I say, "Just love who you are. Love what you've got.
(28:37) " And certainly these principles will help you to get more out of life. >> So, Barbara, now I want to move to a very, very important segment, which is sleep, stress, and the nervous system. And you've spoken repeatedly about how important sleep is, but what can improve sleep? It's distressing how many people in the world struggle with this today.
(29:01) >> Oh, there is. There absolutely is. Do you know there's a few angles uh to come at with this. So nylon, acrylic, and polyester give you the acronym NAP. And I say to her, I guess, you won't nap well if you're sleeping amongst nylon, acrylic, and polyester. So, look at your bedding.
(29:24) At home, I've got cotton sheets or linen, uh a woolen blanket in the winter, and a feather quilt with a beautiful um japara covering. So, have a really good look at your sleepwear. have a good look at the air in your room, the air quality in your room >> and technology that really has you see when the when the sun goes down my iPad goes down and one of the reasons I don't do my emails in the evening anymore is I read a book called why we sleep by Dr.
(29:57) Matthew Walker, fascinating book. I quote that in my book, Sustain Me. And he shows that sunlight has blue light. And there's a receptor in the retina that absorbs blue light. And when we are absorbing blue light, tactical reasoning increases. The ability to solve mathematical problems increases. Now, I like the sound of that.
(30:21) [snorts] The problem is the screens all have blue light. But it doesn't mean you're going to get increased ability to solve mathematical problems when you look at the screens. It is blue light, but it's not the same frequency as the sunlight. So, no, you're not going to get the benefits from the screen as you do from the sun, >> but they're similar enough so that [snorts] if you can't sleep and you look at your phone, that blue light gives a message to the brain, daytime, wake up.
(30:53) So, if you can't sleep, the worst thing you can do is look at your phone. That's why I suggest no technology in your bedroom while you're sleep. If you need the phone to as your alarm, put it in the hallway. You will wake up. I always turn my my sound off because Australia's awake when I'm asleep and I don't want the ding ding dings.
(31:19) So I turn my phone the the sound off, but the the alarm still goes if I need to get up for an early morning flight. So technology really is one of the biggest contributing factors as to why we can't sleep. >> And it's also what people are watching can start thought patterns. So when they lay down, those thought patterns start moving.
(31:41) [laughter] So ideally, you grab a very boring book, a soft light, and you read that book until the book falls on your chest, turn the soft light off, and go to sleep. And I think every parent knows you can't put a child in front of television or games and then expect them to go to sleep. >> Well, we do it for ourselves.
(32:02) >> We do. [laughter] We do. So, it's actually winding that brain down >> because one of the reasons people don't sleep well is the brain is not shutting down. So, it's important to have a look at what the last few hours are >> before you go to sleep. I think watching something nice and calming on a television screen is different to the short screen, but also you can watch a movie like I think everyone realize you should don't watch Mad Max and then go to bed.
(32:37) You know the the brains [laughter] >> of course >> the brains like this. So that that is another So I do my emails in the daytime now. Um that's a big one. So, it's it's looking at winding your brain down. If you want to go to bed at 9:00, you have to be planning it at 7. So, you can't eat a big meal at 7 and go to bed at 9. >> When we lie down to sleep, our stomach wants to sleep, too.
(33:05) And that's one thing that will keep me up if I'd had a late meal. >> I aim for having my lightest meal at the end of the day. But sometimes when I'm traveling, sometimes if I meet at friends with friends, >> we might have an evening meal. And I try and have that ideally 3 or 4 hours before I'm going to go to bed. So the hours before midnight are the most powerful. And it's an old saying.
(33:28) And now Matthew Walker and also Dr. Neil Nedley, he's got an excellent book on what happens when you sleep. They um both of those authors, they quote a lot of research where they've done it on rats and then they did it on people just showing exactly what happens at night. And it's quite incredible all the processes that are activated when we go to sleep.
(33:52) >> It's almost as if the body goes, "Oh, good." I liken it to laying ourselves on nature's operating table. Now the operation can begin. >> You know, when >> when you're having an operation, they wait till the patient is right. I used to work in operating theater. When the patient's right out right now, we can start our operation. of of course.
(34:17) Um, and that's that's what h that's what the body does. It it's like, whoa, now we can move now we can clean up the brain. Now we can um move the day memories to the long-term memory unit. It's also where inventions start to happen. There's a whole lot of incredible processes that happen when we sleep. One of them is melatonin.
(34:43) And melatonin is called the fix and rejuvenate nighttime hormone. So this hormone is responsible for increasing healing. And it's released between the hours of 900 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. winter time, uh 1000 p.m. and 3:00 a.m. summertime. [snorts] So if someone's not well, go to bed early because your healing doubles at in that time. Yeah. In those hours.
(35:14) And when you look at most people on technology, they're often not going to bed till 2:00 a.m. >> And then they wonder why they're don't feel great the next day. >> How do you feel about people taking melatonin tablets >> when they can't get sleep? >> I like to um I like to look at why the person can't sleep.
(35:39) And again that my my detective brain begins well why can't you sleep and then I go back when did it all begin and I was pregnant or breastfeeding non-stop for 14 years I breast I slept with all my babies till they're about 2 and a half so I had broken sleep but I don't have broken sleep now so it so you can't even use that as an excuse because you can train yourself out of that and what I find a lot of ladies especially around menopause they have trouble sleeping.
(36:15) So that tells me probably possibly a hormonal imbalance. And I've had a few ladies tell me that once they started applying the the yam cream that comes in and balances the hormones, they're sleeping better. Not every woman, but you know, another woman it could be uh on technology a bit too late. Uh look at what's in the bedroom.
(36:36) Certainly, I know that if I'm sleeping in sheets that are polyester, I don't choose to, but sometimes Airbnbs, >> I do not sleep as well. I find that I I sweat and then I throw the blankets off, then I get cold and then I ask for cotton sheets and then I sleep like a baby. [laughter] Let's say I'm sleeping in cotton sheets.
(36:58) I'm in bed by 9:00 p.m. You know, I'm not watching any TV. I'm still not getting sleep. What do I do? Then I'd look at the hormones. Then I would have a look at what's keeping you awake. And often it's the chat room. And I'll I'll illustrate my chat room. My chat room is this.
(37:18) Now, where am I going next? Now I've got to do that now. Oh, I've got 26 grandchildren. Oh, I've got three birthdays. Is here's the month of November. And oh, when I met Julie, I couldn't believe that I'd forgotten her daughters, which was at the earlier the one. I thought I'd covered everything. I've got this lady sending a t-shirt to that grandson.
(37:40) And here's here's my chat room. Here's my chat room. Oh, I've got some events coming up. What's the temperature like? What clothes will go with what? It's like I knew I had to Well, you you requested uh whites and lights. So, now I'll try this. There's my chat room. My chat room. >> It it it just So, how do you get out of the chat room? Cuz if you stay in the chat room, and if you're an organizer, and I'm an organizer, >> if you're an organizer, you're solving all the problems of the world in the chat room. I [laughter] can even have a
(38:13) book fall on my chest, turn the light off, and the chat room starts. So, this is how you can get out of the chat room. I love memorizing, and I've memorized a lot of Bible verses. I've memorized um psalms, I've memorized sayings, I've memorized poems. And if I read something and it's really good and I can't quite say it, I'll memorize it.
(38:40) So I go through all my memory verses and the the largest one is James chapter 1 which is 27 verses. Took me months but I've finally got it in my memory. So I'll go through that. I'll go through that and sometimes by the third verse I've I've jumped up into the chat room and while I'm chatting where I think how did I get back into there? Get get back into get back into James chapter one.
(39:05) I'm up to third verse and then so it's almost a discipline to keep myself out of that chat room cuz I will never sleep. >> And in the morning I think where did I get to? I think I got to verse 12. Blessed is the man that endureth temptation for when he is tried he will receive a crown of life that the Lord has promised to them that love him.
(39:24) That's verse 12. [laughter] >> So wow. >> So that that's what I do. And my son James, he says >> I just lie there and say don't think don't think. >> [laughter] >> He says that works well. An old saying is um >> counting counting sheep jumping over fences. Um singing some songs that you like in your mind.
(39:49) And one lady said that she pictures a great aunt from her childhood and she loved her rose garden and they'd have cups of tea in fine china. Can you see you getting out of the chat room? You've got to get out of that chat room. I find that especially people that are organizers that that's a big one. >> Barbara, you speak about using water very intentionally, hot, cold, contrast.
(40:14) Could you speak to us about that? >> Well, what fascinated me was the discovery that nurses used to learn hydrotherapy. In fact, I've got their textbook. It's Abbott's hydrotherapy for nurses and it's contrast baths. Um this whole encyclopedia is written on this subject. >> Okay. >> So for the home and I've got a chapter in my book sustain me on hydrotherapy.
(40:39) Simple things you can do for the home. I'll give you an illustration. I got plantto fasciitis. Plantto fasciitis is the plantto fascia is a tendon that it's in the bottom of your foot. It's almost lining your arch. Well I'm we've got a saying in Australia. Some people do things like a bullet gate.
(40:59) Well, that's a little bit me. I I like to go for things and I got my new barefoot runners and I was just running too vigorously up the hills and I strained it. I actually didn't know what it was, but I was limping and it was hurting. So, I went to the doctor and I said, "I'd like you to have a look at my foot.
(41:20) " And and he laughed. He said, "You've got plantto fasciitis, which is just inflammation of that." He said that'll take that'll take nearly 3 months to heal that. And I thought, hm, I'm going to do it quicker than that. Now, when I was lecturing, I would lecture for 2 hours, and by the end of the lecture, I could not even put my weight on that foot. I was limping.
(41:40) I'd go home, I'd get two buckets, one with hot water, one with cold and ice cubes. I'd do 3 minutes in the hot, 30 seconds in the cold. And I did the whole procedure three times. So I'd have boiling water to keep that hot hot hot. And by the end of that, that's 15 minutes at the most. I'd gone from 10 8 out of 10 pain to 2 out of 10.
(42:07) >> Really >> absolutely incredible. So then I analyze that. Why? Why is that so effective? When you apply hot water to the body, it has a stimulating effect, >> but after 3 minutes, it starts to slow down. So then you put it in the cold and when you put the body in cold water stimulating effect, but it only takes 30 seconds to get to a slowing down.
(42:32) So you do 3 minutes hot, 30 seconds cold. So you see what you're doing? You're just accessing the stimulating, the stimulating, the stimulating, the stimulating. So then what are you stimulating? Blood. The Bible says in Leviticus 17:11, the life of the flesh is in the blood. Why? Blood carries oxygen. Blood carries water.
(42:52) Blood carries the nutrient. Blood carries away waste. Blood carries white blood cells. So that's why it's so powerful. So what I'm doing to that foot, I'm increasing oxygen. I'm increasing nutrients. I'm increasing the body's ability to take away waste and I'm getting more one white blood cells.
(43:14) Everything that foot needs for healing. Isn't that incredible? >> Incredible. Could I do this for any ache or pain? You could do it on your feet. You could do it on your hands. You could do it on your elbows. >> I mean, we had one guy hurt his knee and he'd have two long buckets and he'd be on his hands and knees and he put the knee in the hot, then the knee in the cold.
(43:36) >> And you can also do it on the hips. And for the hips, in fact, traditionally they call it sits baths, which is German for sit. And that's very good for hemorrhoids. It's very good for any problems in the reproductive organs, men and women, any problems in the colon, whether it be constipation or diarrhea, and urinary.
(44:01) So, um, some ladies when they get to their 50s, 60s, 70s have incontinents. They don't have the strength to hold the urine. Well, you sit in hot, cold, hot, cold. That'll wake everything up. >> So water is so intensely healing. >> It's incredible. And that's one thing I love about Indian history.
(44:27) I know that in Indian history they used a lot of water treatments and also Germany there's quite a history there of water treatments. So in my journey of discovery of looking at what does the body need for healing and then I discovered why the Bible calls the blood the life of the flesh. The blood is actually the healer >> and those contrast baths just increases blood to that area >> and by doing that >> incredible pain relief.
(45:01) In fact, it's been used for centuries and in the area of pain relief, it's without equal. >> You spoke about running with your barefoot runners. What are your thoughts on shoes? >> Well, there's times we got to use shoes, but I'm very fussy about the shoes that I wear. You see, the biggest paws on the whole of your body are on the soles of your feet.
(45:27) So, I'm very fussy as to what my foot touches. M. >> So, I bought these cute little shoes yesterday and they're all leather. So, my foot is on leather or it's on suede or if I have stockings or socks, they're always cotton or they're always natural fiber. But with the barefoot runners, I read a book called Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, and that just opened my eyes on the way people run.
(45:55) See, we've got these joggers today that are all built up encourage heel striking, but if you run barefoot, you will never heel strike. And then and then the author looks at the anatomy of the foot. And if you look at the anatomy of the foot, the toes, when you strike on the toes, there's a cushioning, a cushioning effect.
(46:19) But with the heel, it's a jarring. And that's why a lot of long-distance runners who do heel striking get lower back, hamstring, uh, pelvic problems. And that's this guy, Christopher McDougall, was a runner and he had all those problems. And then he did a worldwide journey speaking to people who were runners. And he found barefoot runners.
(46:44) And, uh, BB Beila >> was an African runner who ran barefoot. I don't think they'd allow that today in the Olympic Games, but he won gold 1960 and 1964 Olympic Games. Every event he he ran in, he won, he won. He was a barefoot runner, a BBB killer. [laughter] >> Wow. That's that's so impressive. >> It it is impressive.
(47:11) So, of course, out of that book really came the barefoot craze, >> which is barefoot runners. But I also like going barefoot where I can. So when I hang my clothes on the clothesline every morning at home, I always go barefoot. And when I do my morning dives in my mountain stream, I always walk back barefoot, which is about a 5minute walk through the grass, across the road, up the grass.
(47:39) I do realize in a lot of parks there might be drug users that have left needles there. There might be dogs who have done droppings there. And I understand that a person may not want to go barefoot on grass like that. But if you can get lovely grass, it's it's really nice. There are whole books written on that subject which is earthing connecting grounding corre connecting with the electricity coming out of the earth.
(48:05) So that's another point and I think that's an important point when people are in offices all day on computers all day that it's nice to connect with nature it can it can give a real lift. So for our last segment Barbara I'm actually very excited for this one. We're going to be talking about your hot takes. Right.
(48:25) You've actually introduced me to such interesting new elements that I wasn't aware of and I'm going to ask you, you know, quick questions and I'd love for you to take us through it. Celtic salt. >> Celtic salt is a handh harvested sea salt. handh harvested in the old Celtic methods and on there's about I think it's I was reading it's hard to believe it it's something like millions of acres of land on the coast in France of Britany and it's it's got all these peninsulas and it's got these big salt flats and the wind comes across so the seawater
(49:07) dries quite quickly and then it's handh harvested And in those crystals are locked up minerals. Sea water has 92 minerals and the Celtic salt has approximately 82 which is very high. And there's also Baja salt which is also a handh harvested sea salt on a pristine coast coastal area in Mexico.
(49:32) And I know the the lady Seline who who has basically running Celtic salt now she's found uh handh harvested sea salts all over the world. So her range has really broadened. Her father-in-law Dr. Jacques Dangri he basically first started these salts and she has he's he's passed now. He wrote he wrote a very interesting book called Sea Salts Hidden Power, [laughter] showing the the minerals in the salts are incredible.
(50:09) And another author, the calcium lie by Dr. Robert Thompson, he considers seawater the clearest indicator of a creator god because seawater has the exact same mineral balance and proportion as is found in the body, in the blood, in the fluids, in the bones. So, would you say swimming in the ocean is has healing properties? >> Oh, yes.
(50:31) In fact, I'm looking forward to doing that um for the rest of this week. >> Amazing. [laughter] >> How do you use Celtic salt? >> Well, Dr. Robert Thompson in his book um The Calcium Lie, he says, "Take a little crystal before every glass of water." >> How much would that be? That would be maybe the size of a sesame seed. I probably do a little bit more than that, but if you're not used to salt, I say start slowly.
(51:02) And there are three magnesiums in the Celtic salt. So, you put it in your mouth, you crunch it, the mucous membranes absorb it, and then I'll take this opportunity to show you how to drink water. [sighs and gasps] Then you might drink half a glass of water. And the magnesiums that are absorbed in the mouth are taken to the cell by the blood.
(51:27) And then you drink the water and that magnesium pulls the water inside the cell. It's the quickest way to hydrate a body >> and amp up your magnesium. This >> there's three magnesiums in the Celtic salt. >> Wow. >> Magnesium sulfite, magnesium bromide, magnesium chloride. And magnesium is a water hungry molecule. And that's why it pulls the water into the cell.
(51:50) That's why if you have the the crystals, Celtic salt or Baja salt, >> if it's raining, it gets really moist. That's because it's a water hungry molecule. So, it pulls the water into itself. >> My grandchildren, they come to my handbag, they open it, and they know where the little salt container is. Oh, they love that little bit of salt.
(52:12) And as soon as they've had the salt, they go and drink water. >> What are the benefits of having this? pulls the water inside the cell and so it it's um hydrating the cells. >> But but uh Dr. Robert Thompson, he says having that crystal of Celtic salt before every glass of water, ideally eight times a day.
(52:33) He said all you're doing is replacing the minerals you lost yesterday. >> Oh my god. >> And where did we lose them? We lose them in our perspiration, uh in our urine, in our bowel fluid. >> What are the benefits of garlic? I was reading one paper that that they did some studies on garlic and they compared it to tetracyclcline which is a probably common antibiotic and they claim it was six times more powerful than tetracyc.
(53:00) So if someone wanted to take it instead of an antibiotic >> they would need to take probably a raw clove a mediumsized clove [clears throat] three times a day. So, it's antifungal, >> it's antiviral, >> it's anti- bacterial, [sighs] >> it's a wide range anti- antimicrobial >> activated charcoal.
(53:23) How do you use it? What are the benefits? >> Charcoal is unique because charcoal absorbs. There are other things that absorb. Grated potato will absorb, other things absorb. >> But it's unique in that it not only absorbs poisons, but it neutralizes them. So if someone and I've spoken to nurses in emergency, someone comes in that's had an overdose, they give them charcoal because that charcoal will absorb and it'll neutralize that poison and now it's safe until it goes all the way through our gastrointestinal tract and comes out the other end. A lot of
(54:00) people that travel to Asia, they travel with charcoal tablets so that if they get diarrhea, um maybe they've eaten some salad that's contaminated or water that's contaminated, they um they take the charcoal >> and what does that do? >> It'll absorb and neutralize the poison. If they get diarrhea or vomiting, it'll absorb and neutralize the poison.
(54:24) And I was also intrigued to see that NASA uses charcoal to filter air in outer space. NASA uses water I mean charcoal to filter water in outer space. In hospitals they use charcoal to filter blood for dialysis. So it's unique in that it absorbs and neutralizes the poisons. A lot of gas masks use use charcoal. And of course, it's wonderful that it not only absorbs, but it neutralizes it.
(54:54) And under a microscope, the surface area is huge. There are all these little planes that are used to absorb and neutralize the poison. So that's one of the wonderful things about charcoal. Because of its ability to absorb and neutralize, it's called adsorb. So absorb refers to the ability of charcoal to absorb and neutralize poison.
(55:20) So in the home it can be used if if someone has diarrhea or vomiting. Uh it can be also made into a pus and put on a bee sting or a spider bite or a snake bite. Really wasp sting because it'll absorb and it'll neutralize that poison. Is there a natural herb or remedy that boosts fertility or reproductive system? >> There certainly is. There's a few.
(55:47) Chase tree is a well-known one. Uh Vitex is its botanical name. And also evening primrose ladies ladies have been taking that for a while. Um black coohos is another fairly well-known one. Macka, which is a relative of the sweet potato, but probably the most potent is the Mexican wild yam. Now, Dr.
(56:14) John Lee, he's pro he's the first doctor that blew the whistle on this hormonal imbalance, >> and he showed he's passed now, but you can still see podcasts from him. And there's his book, What Your Doctor Maynot Tell You About Menopause. He shows that if you take the wild yam by mouth, your liver will detoxify most of it.
(56:38) But if you apply it to the skin, the fat cells take it up and basically all our sex hormones are made from cholesterol. So the fat cells take it up and it stimulates the pathway that the body uses to boost progesterone. Now progesterone very interesting hormone because progesterone is mother hormone. So, if you boost progesterone and your estrogen's too low, it'll bring it up.
(57:01) If it's too high, it'll bring it down. If testosterone's too low, it'll bring it up. If it's too high, it'll bring it down. We just need to reinstate mother, which is progesterone. And that's what this cream does. And I discovered a verse in the Bible that describes it. It's Psalm 104:14.
(57:20) God gave herbs for the service of man. I love that. So the herbs come in and they say, "Where would you like me? How can I work with you?" See, God created the body to heal and he created the herbs to work with the body to boost restoring balance. >> Barbara, what is the best oil to eat your food in? This is something that is constantly been changing and evolving and I think it gets so confusing as a consumer when it's such a large item in your pantry.
(57:54) >> It it certainly is. And when you realize that a lot of health problems began with the cheap seed oils in the industrial revolution, so many things came in that have been harmful to us humans, the chemical fabrics, but they they developed high heat chemical equipment to get oil out of hard seeds and that totally damages the oil.
(58:18) So I say to people, don't touch those cheap seed oils. Walk straight past them. But there are two oils that have stood the test of time. One is coconut oil and one is olive oil. My favorite is olive oil. I love the taste of olive oil. People say, "Bra, what do you put on your skin?" I say, "Nothing. I just eat olive oil.
(58:41) [laughter and clears throat] I talk to a 70, 80 year old, they won't touch oil." I talk to a 50, 60 year old, I have a little bit. I talk to a 30, 40 year old, they have no problem with oil. So it was really in the ' 60s, '7s, ' 80s oil was demonized. But I really believe that that's just about gone now. [laughter] >> We believe in good fat.
(59:04) >> That's right. So the good fats really are the hats, the fats that came from the hand of the creator. And you'd consider olive oil and coconut oil. They're the two fats that are extracted from the flesh of the plant. You don't need high heat chemical equipment. If there's one modern habit that you could erase from everybody's life, what would you pick? >> That's a hard one because it's um few. There's so many.
(59:31) You know, this body must move. This body got to go to bed a little bit earlier. >> We got to start eating food that's live. >> So many people are eating devitalized food and wondering why their body's not working. Because the body's constantly being remade and it needs building materials. There's your fresh fruits and vegetables, your legumes.
(59:52) That's what I love about India. Beans. I love dosa. I love idli. I love all of those foods [gasps] >> that it's um I'm sorry that it's not one >> because that that's the most difficult question you've asked me >> is to put it down to one. Please go to bed early, drink more water, and ease back on technology.
(1:00:14) just start to respect the brain, the eyes and the electromagnetic fields in our body and ease back on it. >> Amazing. Thank you so much for being here. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us. Really, really appreciate it and thank you once again. >> It's my pleasure. Thank you. >> Thank you so much for watching or [music] listening all the way through.
(1:00:35) I'd love for you to hit that subscribe button. It [music] helps this show reach more incredible people like you and most importantly get closer to our goal [music] to build an incredible community with the Masumi Navala Show. My goals with this show are audacious and you all are the most important part of this journey. I want to create for you.
(1:00:54) [music] So tell me what you want to hear. What stories could change your life. I read every single comment and your reflections [music] honestly help us shape where this show goes next. I'll see you in the next one.
Author Name:Masoom Minawala
Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@MasoomMinawala
Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdAvmUiPXiA
Title: This 72-Year-Old Grandmother Exposed Everything Wrong With Modern Health | Barbara O'Neill
Author Name: Masoom Minawala
Description: We live in a world of quick fixes, constant stimulation, and rising health anxiety yet very few of us are taught how to truly care for our bodies.
In this episode of The Masoom Minawala Show, I sit down with Barbara O’Neill, educator and natural health advocate, for a deeply grounding conversation on healing, prevention, and reconnecting with the body’s natural intelligence.
This isn’t about rejecting modern medicine. It’s about understanding when it’s needed and when the body already knows how to heal.
From simple daily habits to overlooked lifestyle triggers, Barbara shares decades of lived experience and practical wisdom that helps you take responsibility for your health.
In this conversation, we discuss:
• How Barbara’s healing journey began as a young mother
• Why medicine has a place but not in everyday living
• The body’s innate ability to heal when supported correctly
• The core principles behind her “SUSTAIN ME” framework
• Why breathing through the nose, hydration, and sleep matter more than we think
• The role of sunlight in hormone balance, brain health, and immunity
• How fabrics, detergents, and home environments impact health
• The importance of natural fibres for sleep and skin
• Why technology is disrupting sleep and the nervous system
• Simple, practical habits to reset your lifestyle without overwhelm
This episode is for you if you are:
• Feeling disconnected from your body
• Curious about natural healing and prevention
• Overwhelmed by conflicting health advice
• Wanting to build simple, sustainable daily habits
• Looking to take ownership of your health with clarity and confidence
This conversation isn’t about fixing the body. It’s about learning how to care for it.
If it offered you clarity or comfort, like, subscribe, and share it with someone who might need the same 🤍
Also Barbara O'Neil Is going to be In Bangalore This Feb. Book your tickets now : https://in.bookmyshow.com/events/heal...
Timestamps:
00:00 - Precap
1:14 - Introduction
2:07 - Barbara's Story
7:07 - Principles and timelines of her teachings
9:34 - Is Barbara Anti - Medicine?
12:48 - Daily habits to reset lifestyle
14:46 - Replacement of Tea and coffee
16:07 - Why is sunlight important to us?
18:12 - Sunscreens cause cancer?
19:24 - Best fabrics to sleep in
21:30 - AQI
23:42 - Barbara To Visit India!
24:08 - Toxins at our home
28:41 - Sleep and how to improve it
35:25 - Melatonin tablets
36:54 - What if I still can't sleep?
40:08 - Hot, cold water usage
45:11 - Thoughts on shoes
48:22 - Hot takes
48:36 - Celtic Salts
52:43 - Garlic and benefits
53:21 - Charcoal and benefits
55:40 - Remedy to boost fertility
57:41 - Best oil to use
59:18 - Modern habit that one could erase
Social Media:
My Instagram: / masoomminawala
My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/masoommin...
About Me:
A global influencer and entrepreneur, who aims at bringing Indian fashion on a global platform and popularity.
I work with my team around the clock to curate content on fashion, lifestyle, women empowerment, and inspiring personal stories.
Using my platform of 1 million followers now, I also work towards popularizing and supporting Indian designers, globally.
As a supporter and believer in women and their entrepreneurial skills, I have now founded Empowher too.
The initiative helps inspire guide, and uplift women who want to grow or kick-start their journey in the competitive world of business
#MasoomMinawala #Shorts
Transcript:
(00:00) People have lost the art of looking after their bodies. >> I know there's been some criticism on your approach. >> I'm certainly not anti- medicine. I didn't want to give my children drugs. Heart disease has always been the number one killer. It's changed. It's Alzheimer's. >> Is there a natural herb or remedy that boosts fertility or reproductive system? >> There certainly is. There's a few.
(00:24) Why has salt been demonized? [music] Why has fat been demonized? this. [laughter and gasps] People say, "Baby, what do you put on your skin?" I say, "Nothing. I just eat olive oil." [laughter] >> You've spoken repeatedly about how important sleep is. >> No technology in your bedroom while you're asleep.
(00:43) So, when my next child had an earachche, I did a very scary thing. So, water is so intensely healing. In the 1920s, if you bought swimwear, it was all made out of wool. The EQI in the northern parts of India is just alarming at this point. >> A lot of health problems began with the cheap seed oils. Vitamin D deficiency which sunscreens cause are contributing to skin cancer.
(01:09) If there's one modern habit that you could erase from everybody's life, what would you pick? Barbara O'Neal is easily one of the internet's most followed and most debated [music] natur. Her ideas are controversial. Her opinions are strong, [music] but her impact is undeniable. Millions watch her because she speaks with [music] absolute conviction about one core belief.
(01:34) The body can heal when we return to the simplest tools we already have. [music] Sunlight, nature, food, rhythm, breath. Today's conversation isn't about agreeing or disagreeing. [music] It's about understanding how she sees the world, why her views spark such intense reactions, [music] and what she believes we've forgotten about basic everyday health.
(01:52) Whether you love her or question her, this [music] episode will make you think differently about how you live, eat, rest, and care for your body. So, the first thing that I want to start with is what's your story, Barbara? What has brought you onto this path of sharing your very unique perspective on healing your body with the world and with the internet? >> Sometimes I analyze what has happened >> because [clears throat] um people say who are you? I say I'm just a little lady from the rainforest and I gave birth to six children and we were back
(02:31) to nature hippie lifestylers. I had home births. I breastfed my babies. I slept with my babies. I carried them in slings cuz I always thought, what do the island women do? What the women in Africa do? They have happy babies. I didn't want all this paraphernalia that everyone had. I just had a sling. >> I just had a sling and I breastfed them and I loved it.
(02:54) We're up in a rainforest. In fact, the locals used to call me earth mother. [laughter] >> Oh wow. But what really started my journey was um I didn't want to give my children drugs after a very it was almost a painful experience for me. Um 6 weeks four courses of antibiotics my little 18-month-old and the doctor's writing the fifth course cuz the earachche kept coming back and I thought this isn't working.
(03:24) I said does does my daughter have to be on this for the rest of her life? He was challenged by my question. He referred me to a near, nose, and throat specialist. I just sometimes wonder, does the doctor ever think this isn't working? [laughter] Does it have to be me that says, "Uh, excuse me, but this doesn't appear to be working. I'm not a doctor.
(03:43) I don't have all their training, but just to write the next course." Anyway, the ear, nose, and throat specialist said, "The child's teething. Give her these drops to keep the tubes clear." And that was it. So, when my next child had a earachche, I did a very scary thing. I didn't go to the doctor.
(04:01) See, that's very scary when that's what you've been brought up with. >> I went to the old lady next door cuz I knew I had to do something. I'm 25, she's 85. I said, "What did your mother do?" Now, she was before antibiotics when she was a child. She said, "Mom would steam up an onion on the stove." I did. The child slept.
(04:22) So, that was my beginning. That was my beginning. And that was now James James is about 46 now. [laughter] So >> Oh, he's okay. >> Oh yes. >> So this was Yeah. This was probably 44 years ago. And that started my journey >> and a journey that I was not brought up with. I was brought up with you get sick, you go to doctor. But that's what I did and it it didn't work.
(04:52) So, I began a journey of discovery. The old ladies that I got remedies off, they're long gone. I'm what's I'm the old lady now. [laughter] And I want to help those women who don't want to give their children drugs, who see that they don't cure. They're just mass symptoms. I I want to be that grandmother that says to every woman in the world, there's something else.
(05:20) And I think what caused my explosion was I think co had something to do with it cuz people said I'm scrolling you know nothing to do lockdown and they found a lady talking about an onion [laughter] they found a lady talking about garlic and as one interviewer said to me in the US a few years ago he said she said we wonder what happened and we just think we've got this high techch generation of young people who at the click of their fingers you know they go anywhere and here's a lady talking about a grated potato pus it's almost as if this is
(05:56) different and I also think co made a lot of people sit back and go hang on this is not making sense so I think there are a few things that that came together um to do this and I I know a friend said I want to put some of your stuff on Tik Tok Now, I didn't even know what Tik Tok is.
(06:22) I just know it's a social media platform I think a lot of young people like. Someone showed me what they did one day and it was brilliant. They taken bits of me and put all these graphics with it. I thought impressive. >> Wow. >> So, it actually wasn't me that >> that did this. I think other people just saw it, thought, "This makes sense.
(06:44) " and people that had the skills and knew how to chop it up and make it interesting. I think that's all what what did it and and a and a people today who are looking for something else and I think probably I've I've been part of coming in with some answers. H. So based on your teachings, do your teachings have some principles or some guidelines? They certainly do.
(07:16) You see, probably about 2 years after the experience with the onion on the ear. I became a Christian. I started to read the Bible and it made sense. And I decided to try >> being a Christian, try knowing God. As a friend of mine who was a Christian said, Barbara, just have a taste. Just taste.
(07:41) And the pro the psalm says just taste and see that the Lord is good. So I did. And then I wanted to know how does God view this? How does God view the body? He made the body. Um [clears throat] how does God want us to treat the body when we get sick? And that opened a whole another >> another avenue. I started to read the Bible in more detail and found in the Bible, God certainly all through it, Old Testament, New Testament, he wants us to look after our bodies and gave us herbs.
(08:17) And then I went into Europe where there was a lot of history of water cures and herbal cures. So I I look back now and realize God was leading me on a journey and that certainly opened everything up. And one of my first books was the ministry of healing. >> Okay, >> this lady's a Christian author and [sighs] there's a chapter in there called the physician the educator and it says in there how let the physicians teach the people that restorative restorative power lies not in drugs but in nature.
(08:55) And I thought yes. And then she went through the basic laws of health and I've put them in an acronym sustain me which is sunshine, use of water, sleep, trust in God, abstain from anything harmful, inhale through the nose, nutrition, moderation in the good things and exercise. And >> anyway, that that ended up becoming the title of my natural remedy book.
(09:23) So when you ask are there principles that um they would be the principles >> sustain me would probably be the principles. So Barbara I have so many questions for you today about your teachings but before I dive into that I want to ask you a bit of a difficult one which is I know there's been some criticism on your approach.
(09:44) Would you say that you're anti- medicine or would you say that it needs to be used with caution? What is your perspective for >> Well, I'm I'm certainly not anti- medicine. Two years ago, I broke my my wrist and the radius bone was totally broken and out of place. And I looked at that was getting weird. I felt the pain.
(10:09) And you know what? I knew I needed some experts. So I went to emergency and I am very thankful for the skill of the orthopedic surgeon who pulled it back into place. I'm very thankful for the painkilling medication so I didn't feel and pull it back into place. There is no doubt that medicine has a place but my objection is that it's spilled out into everyday life.
(10:37) And when I sat in emergency for 6 hours, I saw the I saw the orthopedic surgeon at midnight. I went in at 6:00 p.m. >> So the question is, why did I sit in this terrible pain for 6 hours? I'm so glad I didn't know it was going to be 6 hours. That would have been hard. >> But the whole system is is clogged. I've got a sore finger.
(11:04) My little girl has a sore elbow. gravy fell on my hand. My heart's racing. I sat there thinking, I can't believe what I'm hearing. And I could see the nurses, you could see their frustration. You know, the two conclusions I came to as I sat there and I had hours to contemplate. [laughter] My two conclusions were this.
(11:30) They consider we are an enlightened age. I don't think so. I think we're dumb. We have no idea how the body works. We have no idea what to do for a burn, for a sore finger, for a racing heart. To me, they're just the basics. I sat there thinking, I could fix them. I could fix them. I could fix them. I could fix them. I could fix them.
(11:54) But of course, I couldn't because you can only fix people who come to me and want to be >> want to be fixed. The second conclusion I came to was now I know what I I now I know why I do what I do because people need to know you don't need to rush with all of its stress into emergency and who pays for all that I the taxpayer pay for all [laughter] that Australia has huge taxes so the so the that is the problem I believe that People have lost the art, the incredibly important skill of looking after their bodies,
(12:38) >> of healing their bodies themselves. >> Well, of we've got this body that can heal. We just need to know how to work with that. [laughter] >> So, if there's someone who wants to reset their lifestyle today, what are three daily habits that you would recommend for them to adopt? >> Well, I can give you I can give you nine.
(13:01) Um I think the you know the most vital element needed for life if you look at the four vitals is oxygen. >> Start breathing through your nose was designed for breathing not mouth. Mouth is for speaking, singing, eating, drinking. Nose for breathing. [snorts] Breathe deeply. Use your abdominal muscles so that your your cells get more oxygen.
(13:24) The second most vital element needed for life is water. where 85% water from the neck up, 75% from the from the neck down and tea, coffee don't do it because they have con dehydrating agents in them. No, the Cokes, the sodas, no, not even juice does it. You wouldn't have a very clean body if you washed it in juice. Must be water. So I say to people, go to bed with a glass of water next to your bed.
(13:53) So the first thing you do when you wake up is drink. And please go to bed a little earlier because of technology. I think many people have got into the habit of late nights. >> I was looking at a news flash from Australia last week. Heart disease has always been the number one killer. It's changed. It's Alzheimer's. Do you know that brain doesn't work if it's dehydrated? And that brain doesn't work if it's not getting the daily recharge, which happens particularly in those hours before midnight.
(14:29) And those brain cells can't give off much energy if you're breathing through your mouth. So, isn't that interesting? The the number one killer, Alzheimer's, is hugely affected by oxygen, water, and lack of sleep. But Barbara, wouldn't you say, I mean, we have this world where everyone's roaming around with their Stanley cup and we're all hydrated.
(14:53) We're all drinking that water. We're all doing a liter or two a day. And I think people lean towards the tea or coffee because they need that energy. So, do you have a recommendation for a replacement for that tea or coffee or juice where they feel like they need something to awaken them to start their day? Well, I'm very thankful for to my father who was a who was an inventor for instilling in me the want to know why.
(15:21) Why do you wake tired? Ah, is it because you went to bed too late? Is it because you ate too late? Is it because you're not breathing in fresh air? Is it because you're sleeping surrounded by nylon, acrylic, polyester? So, I like to look at why. Why do you need that coffee? I wake up in the morning and I'm ready to go.
(15:47) And you can see I'm not young. So I like to know why why do they need that coffee? Let's let's go back and analyze why. >> And if you like sitting with a nice hot drink, try dandeline. Try chai dandelion in almond milk. But that should never take the place of water. >> Barbara, why is sunlight so important for us? Sunlight.
(16:15) Where do I start? Do you know it's very interesting. I've written many books on sunlight. If we overdo the sun, we get burnt. There's no doubt about that. I've got blue eyes, light skin. So, when I lay in the sun, I don't wear sunscreen because it's so full of chemicals. I take this 15 minutes front, 15 minutes back. Now, in the shade, if I do that every day, within a week, I've got a lovely tan.
(16:38) And I got that tan from the UV UV B rays. And the UVB rays are blocked by sunscreen. The UVB rays are the rays that hit the skin and convert a form of cholesterol just under the skin to vitamin D. And our DNA has 2,500 receptor sites for vitamin D. [snorts] And there are many people today lacking vitamin D because they're not out in the sun.
(17:09) What does vitamin D do? It actually helps in the absorption and assimilation of calcium. So, our bones and our teeth deteriorate if we're not getting enough vitamin D. And our brain needs sun and it gets sun through the eyes. And it resets our body clock. And it stimulates the pituitary gland to balance hormones. And it also increases our ability to solve mathematical problems.
(17:36) All suns sunshine through the eyes. I don't suggest we look at the sun. Mind you, the setting sun out in the desert the other day was nice to look at. [laughter] Early morning, late afternoon, maybe our eyes will tell us. But the but just being outside, those rays go through the through the eyes.
(17:56) And that's one of the ways I recover from jet lag very quickly. And that is by having my eyes my face in the sun and those rays reset my body clock. I could spend an hour on sunshine but I think that's enough for now. But what is your perspective on why the world has villainized the sun >> which is basically what has led to the birth of the sunscreen and >> well Ian Witart an interesting author and he in his book on vitamin D he has all the research to show that these sunscreens and vitamin D deficiency which sunscreens cause are contributing
(18:39) to basilc cell carcinoma which is actually the deadly form of skin cancer. If you if you burn your skin 8 to 10 times in your lifetime, that can certainly double your risk of skin cancer. We should never harm the skin by overdoing the sun. But we've got another problem today and that is underdoing the sun.
(19:04) So your reason is why has some been demonized? Why has salt been demonized? Why has fat been demonized? There's there's lots of questions you could ask there. I think most people realize now that fat's okay, >> but it's taking a while to convince people that sun is okay. We just need to use our common sense and use it wisely. >> Interesting.
(19:27) You spoke about sleeping with polyester and nylon around you >> and I want to talk to you about what the home and what our environment really does to us. What is according to you what is the best fabric that we should be sleeping in, sleeping around? >> Well, I have at my home some beautiful linen sheets. Linen's very nice.
(19:47) Uh fine cotton is very nice. Um it's one thing I love about India is the fabrics. So I really push please no polyester saris. No, don't don't let these chemical fabrics slip into this area. Nylon, acrylic and polyester were fabrics that were created in a chemical laboratory. Now that is enough for me and I know someone has made a fortune out of polyester.
(20:15) I know in uh the the countries where they grow the sheep, which is Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand, those farmers are going out of business cuz no one's buying wool anymore. And I loved being with my Scottish bodyguard last year. He's an ex-Marine. And he told me that the Marines use woolen underwear because it is so it's really thin, of course, but it dries very quickly when they're doing their workouts.
(20:47) They they find that it doesn't get sticky. It dries quickly. And if they get really sweaty and the wind hits them, it they don't chill with the wool. >> And my daughter Julia and I were just exploring woolen swimsuits. >> And I think Julia found about 10 different sites of woolen. But back to the bedroom, our best sheets are natural fiber.
(21:15) There's been some question marks even about bamboo because of the chemicals used to soften the bamboo. So let's just go back to the basics, the linens and the cotton. >> Air quality is a growing concern everywhere. You know, especially in India, this is something we're dealing with right now. The AQI in the northern parts of India is just alarming at this point.
(21:42) Is there something that people could do to deal with that? >> Well, God gave us something wonderful to purify the air. It's called trees. >> [laughter] [gasps] >> the trees, the leaves of the trees actually take the waste from the air and they give off beautiful oxygen. And I know that's not always possible for everyone, but please be mindful of that. You can also buy air purifiers.
(22:07) The spider plant we see in Australia almost as a weed. In fact, I put it in my garden one day and I will never do that again because it just takes over. It's called a spider plant because the leaves, yes, they're they're long and fine and they are alternating white and green in the stripes.
(22:28) But the reason they're called a spider plant is because every now and then they put out a long stalk and then it look the new looks like a spider [laughter] and they're tiny little baby leaves and it can be a beautiful plant. say if it was sitting there, those long spikes would be out with their their their long things plus the the leaves come like that.
(22:51) So, a lot of people do use them um because they are a pretty plant. But the research shows that they are the most effective at purifying the air. And I think it's because their leaves are so numerous. Even though the leaves aren't as big as some other plants, the surface area is bigger than plants with big leaves like like the fig plant that has big leaves.
(23:17) Because if you were to assess the surface area on the spider plant leaf and the surface area on the fig, it's a larger surface area because the leaves are so numerous. >> Interesting. I actually think this could be so helpful for so many people. And the other is it's really hard to kill this plant. >> So even for people who aren't gardeners, it's >> it's a easy plant to grow.
(23:42) >> I'm thrilled to share something special with all of you. On the 5th of February 2026, Barbara O'Neal will be live in Bengaluru for a one-day event titled The Healing Blueprint. This session will dive deep into gut health, skin, hair, and hormonal balance, and how simple lifestyle choices can create the perfect conditions for your body to heal itself.
(24:03) If you've ever wanted to learn Barbara's principles directly from her, this is your opportunity. What are the most overlooked sources of toxins in our home that we don't even realize are really harming us? >> I I think especially for women, is the underwear. >> Okay. Um, most pe most women are very surprised when I start talking about the fabrics that most ladies clothes are made out of.
(24:32) Ladies love polyester nylon acrylic because you don't have to iron it. And if you go to buy a bra in your average um department store, probably you might get 10% of them are cotton. So th this is a big one and it's also a contributing factor to the hormonal imbalance that we are seeing in women and also sportsear. >> So when when you're exercising and your body warms up your pores open and your hot body heats that fabric which increases the uptake from your skin from the chemicals that are in that fabric.
(25:11) Another one is uh the washing detergents. I've had some people in my home. We have friends come and stay from time to time. And I come in and immediately get the chemical washing detergents and put them in the bin. And so that's another one. Unless you rinse those clothes 10 times, and no washing machine does that, there there is a remnant still left in your clothes.
(25:40) So, it's not only the clothes you're wearing, but what you're washing them with. But I think another really hidden one is the chemicals that people clean with. So, in my laundry cupboard in Australia, you'll find sodium bicarbonate and white vinegar and a little bottle of eucalyptus oil or could be lavender oil to make the give a nice scent in the bathroom.
(26:05) So, I think I think they're areas that a lot of people aren't aware of. I remember one guest after I talked about the fabric, she came to me and she said, "Barbara, I've just looked at all my clothes and I'm going to have to throw them all out." [laughter] [gasps] And I said, "Well, the good news is >> there are secondhand shops [laughter] where you can get some very nice clothes at a reasonable price.
(26:28) And sometimes it is better for a lady to have a few choice >> articles, you know, and the beauty of skirts and tops. You can have a skirt that can have three or four different tops. So, it's just looking at how you can manage your wardrobe. >> Very interesting, Barbara. Especially for someone who works in the fashion industry. It's it's very intriguing.
(26:49) >> It is. I know at Misty Mountain if and I'll be there uh for six weeks, December, January, and we've already ordered my woolen swimsuits. And if I go to the steam sauna in this, every lady's going to say, "Barbara, what have you got there?" And [laughter] I'll say, "I'm so glad you asked." In fact, I think it'll be such um >> a hot topic that uh that I said to Michael, I think we might even start selling them in our shop.
(27:18) But I'll try them first. >> In fact, it's interesting. They're saying we got to go back because in the 1920s, if you if you bought swimwear, it was all made out of wool. And I think the wool today is a lot finer and there's, you know, maybe 10% elastine in it. So it's not >> drooping off you. [laughter] >> That's very interesting.
(27:43) And I do feel like this could be >> such a fresh perspective for the fashion industry. Also like a good business idea that you planted here. So that's exciting. >> It is. It is. You see in our steam sauna at home because there you getting so hot and what does everyone wear? They wear their swimsuits. M. >> So what I do and have always done, I wear a little pair of cotton shorts and a little cotton crop top.
(28:06) That's what I wear when I go into the steam. The nicest, of course, is wearing nothing. But not every lady's happy to do that. [laughter] >> That requires self love and confidence, which I think we're all yearning for. >> Yes. And even if you don't love what you look like now, well, what what you learn at Misty Mountain? In fact, some of the ladies say, "Barbara, if we live like you, will we start looking like you?" [laughter] And I laugh and I say, "Just love who you are. Love what you've got.
(28:37) " And certainly these principles will help you to get more out of life. >> So, Barbara, now I want to move to a very, very important segment, which is sleep, stress, and the nervous system. And you've spoken repeatedly about how important sleep is, but what can improve sleep? It's distressing how many people in the world struggle with this today.
(29:01) >> Oh, there is. There absolutely is. Do you know there's a few angles uh to come at with this. So nylon, acrylic, and polyester give you the acronym NAP. And I say to her, I guess, you won't nap well if you're sleeping amongst nylon, acrylic, and polyester. So, look at your bedding.
(29:24) At home, I've got cotton sheets or linen, uh a woolen blanket in the winter, and a feather quilt with a beautiful um japara covering. So, have a really good look at your sleepwear. have a good look at the air in your room, the air quality in your room >> and technology that really has you see when the when the sun goes down my iPad goes down and one of the reasons I don't do my emails in the evening anymore is I read a book called why we sleep by Dr.
(29:57) Matthew Walker, fascinating book. I quote that in my book, Sustain Me. And he shows that sunlight has blue light. And there's a receptor in the retina that absorbs blue light. And when we are absorbing blue light, tactical reasoning increases. The ability to solve mathematical problems increases. Now, I like the sound of that.
(30:21) [snorts] The problem is the screens all have blue light. But it doesn't mean you're going to get increased ability to solve mathematical problems when you look at the screens. It is blue light, but it's not the same frequency as the sunlight. So, no, you're not going to get the benefits from the screen as you do from the sun, >> but they're similar enough so that [snorts] if you can't sleep and you look at your phone, that blue light gives a message to the brain, daytime, wake up.
(30:53) So, if you can't sleep, the worst thing you can do is look at your phone. That's why I suggest no technology in your bedroom while you're sleep. If you need the phone to as your alarm, put it in the hallway. You will wake up. I always turn my my sound off because Australia's awake when I'm asleep and I don't want the ding ding dings.
(31:19) So I turn my phone the the sound off, but the the alarm still goes if I need to get up for an early morning flight. So technology really is one of the biggest contributing factors as to why we can't sleep. >> And it's also what people are watching can start thought patterns. So when they lay down, those thought patterns start moving.
(31:41) [laughter] So ideally, you grab a very boring book, a soft light, and you read that book until the book falls on your chest, turn the soft light off, and go to sleep. And I think every parent knows you can't put a child in front of television or games and then expect them to go to sleep. >> Well, we do it for ourselves.
(32:02) >> We do. [laughter] We do. So, it's actually winding that brain down >> because one of the reasons people don't sleep well is the brain is not shutting down. So, it's important to have a look at what the last few hours are >> before you go to sleep. I think watching something nice and calming on a television screen is different to the short screen, but also you can watch a movie like I think everyone realize you should don't watch Mad Max and then go to bed.
(32:37) You know the the brains [laughter] >> of course >> the brains like this. So that that is another So I do my emails in the daytime now. Um that's a big one. So, it's it's looking at winding your brain down. If you want to go to bed at 9:00, you have to be planning it at 7. So, you can't eat a big meal at 7 and go to bed at 9. >> When we lie down to sleep, our stomach wants to sleep, too.
(33:05) And that's one thing that will keep me up if I'd had a late meal. >> I aim for having my lightest meal at the end of the day. But sometimes when I'm traveling, sometimes if I meet at friends with friends, >> we might have an evening meal. And I try and have that ideally 3 or 4 hours before I'm going to go to bed. So the hours before midnight are the most powerful. And it's an old saying.
(33:28) And now Matthew Walker and also Dr. Neil Nedley, he's got an excellent book on what happens when you sleep. They um both of those authors, they quote a lot of research where they've done it on rats and then they did it on people just showing exactly what happens at night. And it's quite incredible all the processes that are activated when we go to sleep.
(33:52) >> It's almost as if the body goes, "Oh, good." I liken it to laying ourselves on nature's operating table. Now the operation can begin. >> You know, when >> when you're having an operation, they wait till the patient is right. I used to work in operating theater. When the patient's right out right now, we can start our operation. of of course.
(34:17) Um, and that's that's what h that's what the body does. It it's like, whoa, now we can move now we can clean up the brain. Now we can um move the day memories to the long-term memory unit. It's also where inventions start to happen. There's a whole lot of incredible processes that happen when we sleep. One of them is melatonin.
(34:43) And melatonin is called the fix and rejuvenate nighttime hormone. So this hormone is responsible for increasing healing. And it's released between the hours of 900 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. winter time, uh 1000 p.m. and 3:00 a.m. summertime. [snorts] So if someone's not well, go to bed early because your healing doubles at in that time. Yeah. In those hours.
(35:14) And when you look at most people on technology, they're often not going to bed till 2:00 a.m. >> And then they wonder why they're don't feel great the next day. >> How do you feel about people taking melatonin tablets >> when they can't get sleep? >> I like to um I like to look at why the person can't sleep.
(35:39) And again that my my detective brain begins well why can't you sleep and then I go back when did it all begin and I was pregnant or breastfeeding non-stop for 14 years I breast I slept with all my babies till they're about 2 and a half so I had broken sleep but I don't have broken sleep now so it so you can't even use that as an excuse because you can train yourself out of that and what I find a lot of ladies especially around menopause they have trouble sleeping.
(36:15) So that tells me probably possibly a hormonal imbalance. And I've had a few ladies tell me that once they started applying the the yam cream that comes in and balances the hormones, they're sleeping better. Not every woman, but you know, another woman it could be uh on technology a bit too late. Uh look at what's in the bedroom.
(36:36) Certainly, I know that if I'm sleeping in sheets that are polyester, I don't choose to, but sometimes Airbnbs, >> I do not sleep as well. I find that I I sweat and then I throw the blankets off, then I get cold and then I ask for cotton sheets and then I sleep like a baby. [laughter] Let's say I'm sleeping in cotton sheets.
(36:58) I'm in bed by 9:00 p.m. You know, I'm not watching any TV. I'm still not getting sleep. What do I do? Then I'd look at the hormones. Then I would have a look at what's keeping you awake. And often it's the chat room. And I'll I'll illustrate my chat room. My chat room is this.
(37:18) Now, where am I going next? Now I've got to do that now. Oh, I've got 26 grandchildren. Oh, I've got three birthdays. Is here's the month of November. And oh, when I met Julie, I couldn't believe that I'd forgotten her daughters, which was at the earlier the one. I thought I'd covered everything. I've got this lady sending a t-shirt to that grandson.
(37:40) And here's here's my chat room. Here's my chat room. Oh, I've got some events coming up. What's the temperature like? What clothes will go with what? It's like I knew I had to Well, you you requested uh whites and lights. So, now I'll try this. There's my chat room. My chat room. >> It it it just So, how do you get out of the chat room? Cuz if you stay in the chat room, and if you're an organizer, and I'm an organizer, >> if you're an organizer, you're solving all the problems of the world in the chat room. I [laughter] can even have a
(38:13) book fall on my chest, turn the light off, and the chat room starts. So, this is how you can get out of the chat room. I love memorizing, and I've memorized a lot of Bible verses. I've memorized um psalms, I've memorized sayings, I've memorized poems. And if I read something and it's really good and I can't quite say it, I'll memorize it.
(38:40) So I go through all my memory verses and the the largest one is James chapter 1 which is 27 verses. Took me months but I've finally got it in my memory. So I'll go through that. I'll go through that and sometimes by the third verse I've I've jumped up into the chat room and while I'm chatting where I think how did I get back into there? Get get back into get back into James chapter one.
(39:05) I'm up to third verse and then so it's almost a discipline to keep myself out of that chat room cuz I will never sleep. >> And in the morning I think where did I get to? I think I got to verse 12. Blessed is the man that endureth temptation for when he is tried he will receive a crown of life that the Lord has promised to them that love him.
(39:24) That's verse 12. [laughter] >> So wow. >> So that that's what I do. And my son James, he says >> I just lie there and say don't think don't think. >> [laughter] >> He says that works well. An old saying is um >> counting counting sheep jumping over fences. Um singing some songs that you like in your mind.
(39:49) And one lady said that she pictures a great aunt from her childhood and she loved her rose garden and they'd have cups of tea in fine china. Can you see you getting out of the chat room? You've got to get out of that chat room. I find that especially people that are organizers that that's a big one. >> Barbara, you speak about using water very intentionally, hot, cold, contrast.
(40:14) Could you speak to us about that? >> Well, what fascinated me was the discovery that nurses used to learn hydrotherapy. In fact, I've got their textbook. It's Abbott's hydrotherapy for nurses and it's contrast baths. Um this whole encyclopedia is written on this subject. >> Okay. >> So for the home and I've got a chapter in my book sustain me on hydrotherapy.
(40:39) Simple things you can do for the home. I'll give you an illustration. I got plantto fasciitis. Plantto fasciitis is the plantto fascia is a tendon that it's in the bottom of your foot. It's almost lining your arch. Well I'm we've got a saying in Australia. Some people do things like a bullet gate.
(40:59) Well, that's a little bit me. I I like to go for things and I got my new barefoot runners and I was just running too vigorously up the hills and I strained it. I actually didn't know what it was, but I was limping and it was hurting. So, I went to the doctor and I said, "I'd like you to have a look at my foot.
(41:20) " And and he laughed. He said, "You've got plantto fasciitis, which is just inflammation of that." He said that'll take that'll take nearly 3 months to heal that. And I thought, hm, I'm going to do it quicker than that. Now, when I was lecturing, I would lecture for 2 hours, and by the end of the lecture, I could not even put my weight on that foot. I was limping.
(41:40) I'd go home, I'd get two buckets, one with hot water, one with cold and ice cubes. I'd do 3 minutes in the hot, 30 seconds in the cold. And I did the whole procedure three times. So I'd have boiling water to keep that hot hot hot. And by the end of that, that's 15 minutes at the most. I'd gone from 10 8 out of 10 pain to 2 out of 10.
(42:07) >> Really >> absolutely incredible. So then I analyze that. Why? Why is that so effective? When you apply hot water to the body, it has a stimulating effect, >> but after 3 minutes, it starts to slow down. So then you put it in the cold and when you put the body in cold water stimulating effect, but it only takes 30 seconds to get to a slowing down.
(42:32) So you do 3 minutes hot, 30 seconds cold. So you see what you're doing? You're just accessing the stimulating, the stimulating, the stimulating, the stimulating. So then what are you stimulating? Blood. The Bible says in Leviticus 17:11, the life of the flesh is in the blood. Why? Blood carries oxygen. Blood carries water.
(42:52) Blood carries the nutrient. Blood carries away waste. Blood carries white blood cells. So that's why it's so powerful. So what I'm doing to that foot, I'm increasing oxygen. I'm increasing nutrients. I'm increasing the body's ability to take away waste and I'm getting more one white blood cells.
(43:14) Everything that foot needs for healing. Isn't that incredible? >> Incredible. Could I do this for any ache or pain? You could do it on your feet. You could do it on your hands. You could do it on your elbows. >> I mean, we had one guy hurt his knee and he'd have two long buckets and he'd be on his hands and knees and he put the knee in the hot, then the knee in the cold.
(43:36) >> And you can also do it on the hips. And for the hips, in fact, traditionally they call it sits baths, which is German for sit. And that's very good for hemorrhoids. It's very good for any problems in the reproductive organs, men and women, any problems in the colon, whether it be constipation or diarrhea, and urinary.
(44:01) So, um, some ladies when they get to their 50s, 60s, 70s have incontinents. They don't have the strength to hold the urine. Well, you sit in hot, cold, hot, cold. That'll wake everything up. >> So water is so intensely healing. >> It's incredible. And that's one thing I love about Indian history.
(44:27) I know that in Indian history they used a lot of water treatments and also Germany there's quite a history there of water treatments. So in my journey of discovery of looking at what does the body need for healing and then I discovered why the Bible calls the blood the life of the flesh. The blood is actually the healer >> and those contrast baths just increases blood to that area >> and by doing that >> incredible pain relief.
(45:01) In fact, it's been used for centuries and in the area of pain relief, it's without equal. >> You spoke about running with your barefoot runners. What are your thoughts on shoes? >> Well, there's times we got to use shoes, but I'm very fussy about the shoes that I wear. You see, the biggest paws on the whole of your body are on the soles of your feet.
(45:27) So, I'm very fussy as to what my foot touches. M. >> So, I bought these cute little shoes yesterday and they're all leather. So, my foot is on leather or it's on suede or if I have stockings or socks, they're always cotton or they're always natural fiber. But with the barefoot runners, I read a book called Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, and that just opened my eyes on the way people run.
(45:55) See, we've got these joggers today that are all built up encourage heel striking, but if you run barefoot, you will never heel strike. And then and then the author looks at the anatomy of the foot. And if you look at the anatomy of the foot, the toes, when you strike on the toes, there's a cushioning, a cushioning effect.
(46:19) But with the heel, it's a jarring. And that's why a lot of long-distance runners who do heel striking get lower back, hamstring, uh, pelvic problems. And that's this guy, Christopher McDougall, was a runner and he had all those problems. And then he did a worldwide journey speaking to people who were runners. And he found barefoot runners.
(46:44) And, uh, BB Beila >> was an African runner who ran barefoot. I don't think they'd allow that today in the Olympic Games, but he won gold 1960 and 1964 Olympic Games. Every event he he ran in, he won, he won. He was a barefoot runner, a BBB killer. [laughter] >> Wow. That's that's so impressive. >> It it is impressive.
(47:11) So, of course, out of that book really came the barefoot craze, >> which is barefoot runners. But I also like going barefoot where I can. So when I hang my clothes on the clothesline every morning at home, I always go barefoot. And when I do my morning dives in my mountain stream, I always walk back barefoot, which is about a 5minute walk through the grass, across the road, up the grass.
(47:39) I do realize in a lot of parks there might be drug users that have left needles there. There might be dogs who have done droppings there. And I understand that a person may not want to go barefoot on grass like that. But if you can get lovely grass, it's it's really nice. There are whole books written on that subject which is earthing connecting grounding corre connecting with the electricity coming out of the earth.
(48:05) So that's another point and I think that's an important point when people are in offices all day on computers all day that it's nice to connect with nature it can it can give a real lift. So for our last segment Barbara I'm actually very excited for this one. We're going to be talking about your hot takes. Right.
(48:25) You've actually introduced me to such interesting new elements that I wasn't aware of and I'm going to ask you, you know, quick questions and I'd love for you to take us through it. Celtic salt. >> Celtic salt is a handh harvested sea salt. handh harvested in the old Celtic methods and on there's about I think it's I was reading it's hard to believe it it's something like millions of acres of land on the coast in France of Britany and it's it's got all these peninsulas and it's got these big salt flats and the wind comes across so the seawater
(49:07) dries quite quickly and then it's handh harvested And in those crystals are locked up minerals. Sea water has 92 minerals and the Celtic salt has approximately 82 which is very high. And there's also Baja salt which is also a handh harvested sea salt on a pristine coast coastal area in Mexico.
(49:32) And I know the the lady Seline who who has basically running Celtic salt now she's found uh handh harvested sea salts all over the world. So her range has really broadened. Her father-in-law Dr. Jacques Dangri he basically first started these salts and she has he's he's passed now. He wrote he wrote a very interesting book called Sea Salts Hidden Power, [laughter] showing the the minerals in the salts are incredible.
(50:09) And another author, the calcium lie by Dr. Robert Thompson, he considers seawater the clearest indicator of a creator god because seawater has the exact same mineral balance and proportion as is found in the body, in the blood, in the fluids, in the bones. So, would you say swimming in the ocean is has healing properties? >> Oh, yes.
(50:31) In fact, I'm looking forward to doing that um for the rest of this week. >> Amazing. [laughter] >> How do you use Celtic salt? >> Well, Dr. Robert Thompson in his book um The Calcium Lie, he says, "Take a little crystal before every glass of water." >> How much would that be? That would be maybe the size of a sesame seed. I probably do a little bit more than that, but if you're not used to salt, I say start slowly.
(51:02) And there are three magnesiums in the Celtic salt. So, you put it in your mouth, you crunch it, the mucous membranes absorb it, and then I'll take this opportunity to show you how to drink water. [sighs and gasps] Then you might drink half a glass of water. And the magnesiums that are absorbed in the mouth are taken to the cell by the blood.
(51:27) And then you drink the water and that magnesium pulls the water inside the cell. It's the quickest way to hydrate a body >> and amp up your magnesium. This >> there's three magnesiums in the Celtic salt. >> Wow. >> Magnesium sulfite, magnesium bromide, magnesium chloride. And magnesium is a water hungry molecule. And that's why it pulls the water into the cell.
(51:50) That's why if you have the the crystals, Celtic salt or Baja salt, >> if it's raining, it gets really moist. That's because it's a water hungry molecule. So, it pulls the water into itself. >> My grandchildren, they come to my handbag, they open it, and they know where the little salt container is. Oh, they love that little bit of salt.
(52:12) And as soon as they've had the salt, they go and drink water. >> What are the benefits of having this? pulls the water inside the cell and so it it's um hydrating the cells. >> But but uh Dr. Robert Thompson, he says having that crystal of Celtic salt before every glass of water, ideally eight times a day.
(52:33) He said all you're doing is replacing the minerals you lost yesterday. >> Oh my god. >> And where did we lose them? We lose them in our perspiration, uh in our urine, in our bowel fluid. >> What are the benefits of garlic? I was reading one paper that that they did some studies on garlic and they compared it to tetracyclcline which is a probably common antibiotic and they claim it was six times more powerful than tetracyc.
(53:00) So if someone wanted to take it instead of an antibiotic >> they would need to take probably a raw clove a mediumsized clove [clears throat] three times a day. So, it's antifungal, >> it's antiviral, >> it's anti- bacterial, [sighs] >> it's a wide range anti- antimicrobial >> activated charcoal.
(53:23) How do you use it? What are the benefits? >> Charcoal is unique because charcoal absorbs. There are other things that absorb. Grated potato will absorb, other things absorb. >> But it's unique in that it not only absorbs poisons, but it neutralizes them. So if someone and I've spoken to nurses in emergency, someone comes in that's had an overdose, they give them charcoal because that charcoal will absorb and it'll neutralize that poison and now it's safe until it goes all the way through our gastrointestinal tract and comes out the other end. A lot of
(54:00) people that travel to Asia, they travel with charcoal tablets so that if they get diarrhea, um maybe they've eaten some salad that's contaminated or water that's contaminated, they um they take the charcoal >> and what does that do? >> It'll absorb and neutralize the poison. If they get diarrhea or vomiting, it'll absorb and neutralize the poison.
(54:24) And I was also intrigued to see that NASA uses charcoal to filter air in outer space. NASA uses water I mean charcoal to filter water in outer space. In hospitals they use charcoal to filter blood for dialysis. So it's unique in that it absorbs and neutralizes the poisons. A lot of gas masks use use charcoal. And of course, it's wonderful that it not only absorbs, but it neutralizes it.
(54:54) And under a microscope, the surface area is huge. There are all these little planes that are used to absorb and neutralize the poison. So that's one of the wonderful things about charcoal. Because of its ability to absorb and neutralize, it's called adsorb. So absorb refers to the ability of charcoal to absorb and neutralize poison.
(55:20) So in the home it can be used if if someone has diarrhea or vomiting. Uh it can be also made into a pus and put on a bee sting or a spider bite or a snake bite. Really wasp sting because it'll absorb and it'll neutralize that poison. Is there a natural herb or remedy that boosts fertility or reproductive system? >> There certainly is. There's a few.
(55:47) Chase tree is a well-known one. Uh Vitex is its botanical name. And also evening primrose ladies ladies have been taking that for a while. Um black coohos is another fairly well-known one. Macka, which is a relative of the sweet potato, but probably the most potent is the Mexican wild yam. Now, Dr.
(56:14) John Lee, he's pro he's the first doctor that blew the whistle on this hormonal imbalance, >> and he showed he's passed now, but you can still see podcasts from him. And there's his book, What Your Doctor Maynot Tell You About Menopause. He shows that if you take the wild yam by mouth, your liver will detoxify most of it.
(56:38) But if you apply it to the skin, the fat cells take it up and basically all our sex hormones are made from cholesterol. So the fat cells take it up and it stimulates the pathway that the body uses to boost progesterone. Now progesterone very interesting hormone because progesterone is mother hormone. So, if you boost progesterone and your estrogen's too low, it'll bring it up.
(57:01) If it's too high, it'll bring it down. If testosterone's too low, it'll bring it up. If it's too high, it'll bring it down. We just need to reinstate mother, which is progesterone. And that's what this cream does. And I discovered a verse in the Bible that describes it. It's Psalm 104:14.
(57:20) God gave herbs for the service of man. I love that. So the herbs come in and they say, "Where would you like me? How can I work with you?" See, God created the body to heal and he created the herbs to work with the body to boost restoring balance. >> Barbara, what is the best oil to eat your food in? This is something that is constantly been changing and evolving and I think it gets so confusing as a consumer when it's such a large item in your pantry.
(57:54) >> It it certainly is. And when you realize that a lot of health problems began with the cheap seed oils in the industrial revolution, so many things came in that have been harmful to us humans, the chemical fabrics, but they they developed high heat chemical equipment to get oil out of hard seeds and that totally damages the oil.
(58:18) So I say to people, don't touch those cheap seed oils. Walk straight past them. But there are two oils that have stood the test of time. One is coconut oil and one is olive oil. My favorite is olive oil. I love the taste of olive oil. People say, "Bra, what do you put on your skin?" I say, "Nothing. I just eat olive oil.
(58:41) [laughter and clears throat] I talk to a 70, 80 year old, they won't touch oil." I talk to a 50, 60 year old, I have a little bit. I talk to a 30, 40 year old, they have no problem with oil. So it was really in the ' 60s, '7s, ' 80s oil was demonized. But I really believe that that's just about gone now. [laughter] >> We believe in good fat.
(59:04) >> That's right. So the good fats really are the hats, the fats that came from the hand of the creator. And you'd consider olive oil and coconut oil. They're the two fats that are extracted from the flesh of the plant. You don't need high heat chemical equipment. If there's one modern habit that you could erase from everybody's life, what would you pick? >> That's a hard one because it's um few. There's so many.
(59:31) You know, this body must move. This body got to go to bed a little bit earlier. >> We got to start eating food that's live. >> So many people are eating devitalized food and wondering why their body's not working. Because the body's constantly being remade and it needs building materials. There's your fresh fruits and vegetables, your legumes.
(59:52) That's what I love about India. Beans. I love dosa. I love idli. I love all of those foods [gasps] >> that it's um I'm sorry that it's not one >> because that that's the most difficult question you've asked me >> is to put it down to one. Please go to bed early, drink more water, and ease back on technology.
(1:00:14) just start to respect the brain, the eyes and the electromagnetic fields in our body and ease back on it. >> Amazing. Thank you so much for being here. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us. Really, really appreciate it and thank you once again. >> It's my pleasure. Thank you. >> Thank you so much for watching or [music] listening all the way through.
(1:00:35) I'd love for you to hit that subscribe button. It [music] helps this show reach more incredible people like you and most importantly get closer to our goal [music] to build an incredible community with the Masumi Navala Show. My goals with this show are audacious and you all are the most important part of this journey. I want to create for you.
(1:00:54) [music] So tell me what you want to hear. What stories could change your life. I read every single comment and your reflections [music] honestly help us shape where this show goes next. I'll see you in the next one.
No comments:
Post a Comment