Sunday, September 13, 2026

Western Medicine Ignored This SUPERFOOD for 100 Years. (here's why) | Dr. KellyAnn

Western Medicine Ignored This SUPERFOOD for 100 Years. (here's why) | Dr. KellyAnn

Author Name:Jordan Rubin

Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@TheJordanRubinShow

Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lU3qhrQm4Y





Title: Western Medicine Ignored This SUPERFOOD for 100 Years. (here's why) | Dr. KellyAnn

Author Name: Jordan Rubin

Description: Bone broth has been a staple in traditional diets for centuries, valued for its rich concentration of collagen, gelatin, amino acids, and minerals that nourish us from the inside out.

As we've learned more about the gut's role in overall health, bone broth has regained attention for its ability to support digestion, healthy inflammatory responses, and connective tissues.

In this episode of The Jordan Rubin Show, Jordan sits down with naturopathic physician, New York Times bestselling author, and bone broth pioneer Dr. Kellyann Petrucci to discuss her remarkable journey from years of debilitating endometriosis to finding healing through nutrition.

Together, they explore why gut health is foundational to overall wellness, the science behind bone broth and collagen, and the role of other strategies such as intermittent fasting to help reduce inflammation and support our natural healing processes.

Watch through to the end for the complete Bone Broth Support Protocol, including Dr. Kellyann's three-day bone broth cleanse, a simple homemade bone broth recipe, tips for choosing a high-quality broth, and additional nutrition and lifestyle strategies discussed in this episode.

Subscribe and turn on notifications so you never miss a new episode, free protocol, or biblical health resource from The Jordan Rubin Show.

---

Get the Full Protocol & Show Notes
Episode Protocol: https://www.jordanrubin.com/podcast/l...
Subscribe to our FREE Biblical Health Journal: https://www.jordanrubin.com/
Get Jordan's Healing Prayer Here: https://www.jordanrubin.com/healing-p...

0:00 Intro
0:45 Meet Dr. Kellyanne
2:00 The Diagnosis at 16
5:00 Cramps Gone in 30 Days
8:00 Second Wake-Up Call
10:30 Italian Roots & Family Food
14:00 Discovering Gluten
16:30 Weston Price & Loren Cordain
19:00 Swiss Biological Medicine
23:00 Meeting Jordan
25:00 Naming the Bone Broth Diet
27:00 Bone Broth Goes Mainstream
29:00 Benefit #1: Joint Pain
31:30 Benefit #2: Electrolytes
34:00 Benefit #3: Skin & Beauty
35:30 Benefit #4: Bloating
38:00 Benefit #5: Protein & Aging
41:00 Is Bone Broth Protein "Incomplete"?
45:00 The Brothless Generation
48:00 Bone Broth Sauna Hack
50:00 Organ Meats & Stem Cells
53:00 Four More Superfoods
57:00 Rapid Fire Round
1:02:00 Exercise After 50
1:06:00 Her Go-To Quick Meal
1:08:30 One Free Daily Habit
1:11:00 Closing Blessing

---

About Dr. Kellyann Petrucci:

Dr. Kellyann Petrucci is a board-certified naturopathic physician, certified nutrition consultant, and New York Times bestselling author who has become one of the leading voices in gut health, natural medicine, and healthy aging.

As a teenager, she suffered from debilitating endometriosis that went undiagnosed despite years of seeking answers. After eliminating gluten and dairy from her diet, her symptoms resolved—a life-changing experience that inspired her career helping others address the root causes of illness through nutrition and lifestyle.

Today, Dr. Kellyann is widely recognized as the pioneer of the modern bone broth movement and the author of ten books, including the New York Times bestseller Dr. Kellyann's Bone Broth Diet. Through her books, educational programs, PBS specials, and wellness platform, she continues to teach practical strategies for improving gut health, reducing inflammation, supporting healthy aging, and helping people reinvent their health naturally.

__________________

Connect with Dr. Kellyann

Website: https://drkellyann.com/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drkellyannp...

Youtube:    / @drkellyann  

Dr. Kellyann’s Books: https://drkellyann.com/pages/books
__________________

Thank You to Our Partners

Healing Leaves — If you want to try Healing Leaves tea yourself, go to https://healingleaves.com/?sca_ref=10... and enter the code JORDAN20 for 20% off a one-time order.

The Biblical Health Journal — If you want trustworthy, biblical health wisdom delivered directly to your inbox, go to https://www.jordanrubin.com/ and subscribe for free.
__________________

Watch or listen to

The Jordan Rubin Show

every other Thursday at 12:00 PM CT.

YouTube: The Jordan Rubin Show

Spotify: The Jordan Rubin Show
Apple Podcasts: The Jordan Rubin Show
__________________

Connect with Jordan Rubin

Website: jordanrubin.com

Instagram: @jordansrubin

Facebook:@Jordan-Rubin

X:@realjordanrubin

LinkedIn:@jordanrubin
__________________

Medical Disclaimer

This podcast is for informational and educational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always consult your physician or another qualified healthcare professional before making changes to your diet, supplements, medications, or healthcare plan.*

Transcript:
(00:00) I was on my knees and that's how this all came to be. I was young and I was barreled over in pain every month. The only thing doctors could tell me, "We're going to have to do basically a partial hysterctomy." There's something inside of me that said, "Figure it out." And a profound moment came when I was working with a trainer at the gym and he put me on a diet. I couldn't believe it.
(00:24) Within 30 days, within one month of doing this, my cramps were gone. You would go on to write the books you talked about. You were on every major health program, a regular on Dr. Oz, but I think what you're most known for is around that brown liquid substance that we call bone broth. >> I mean, my job was really just to reconnect the world on a beautiful ancient food that already existed.
(00:51) It's very meaningful to me that cultures have used this to literally resurrect themselves. >> What would you say are the top five health conditions that people face that bone broth is most indicated for? In my opinion, after doing this for a long time, after seeing thousands and thousands of people, I would say, Welcome to the Jordan Rubin Show, your place for biblical health, healing testimonies, and life-changing conversations. Food is more than fuel.
(01:32) It has the power to nourish, restore, and help the body heal. Today, Dr. Kellyanne shares the principles she's used to help thousands of people reduce inflammation, restore gut health, balance hormones, all while using food as one of the body's best medicines. At the end of this episode, I'll share a practical protocol to help you use food to build better health from the inside out.
(02:01) Be sure to subscribe and turn on notifications so you never miss our free protocols and health resources. Dr. Kellyanne, tell me what life was like before you became what you are today. Most people in our industry joined the natural health movement because of a personal need and a breakthrough. And I know that happened with you, but tell us a little bit about what got you on the path to realize that our health is our wealth and that food is medicine.
(02:32) >> Okay. First of all, no one's asked me that before and I love this question and I think it's important because I was on my knees and that's how this all came to be. Two things happened in my life and really it encouraged me to to get a very important gift. That gift was to become someone who can figure stuff out.
(02:53) Here's what happened. I was young and I was barreled over in pain every month. My mom did not know what to do with me. She just didn't understand. I was out of school five days a month. Really >> about five days. And I tell you, I could not put one piece of food, no water, anything made me violently ill. It's the term is now called endometriosis.
(03:16) didn't know it then, but I was really unwell. And the only thing doctors could tell me, my mom finally said, "We got to figure it out." Went from doctor to doctor and they said, "Well, we're going to have to do basically a partial hyerectomy." And I knew that having children was very important to me.
(03:35) And when you come from an Italian family, it's literally all anyone talks about. So, I think there was something in my cells that was put there from a young age. So that to me meant the stakes were high and I needed to figure something out. They said one of two things. We can put you on the birth control pill and you can stay on it without going off.
(03:56) Just stay on the birth control pill or two we can do a partial hysterctomy. But those were my two choices. And >> and what age was that that they were talking about a partial hyctomy? >> Uh that was uh 16. >> 16. >> Mhm. >> Wow. >> I was 16. And I know cuz I was I just had gotten my driver's permit. So it was 16. And that to me was so distressing.
(04:19) It was so distressing. But something inside of me, and this is where you got to know like your fabric. You got to you have to know what you're made of. There's something inside of me that said, "Figure it out." I mean, Kellyanne, figure it out. And that's when things started to change. I started to look at the world different.
(04:36) My paradigm started shifting. And I started doing a lot of exercising, working out. And a profound moment came when I was working with a trainer at the gym and he put me on a diet to actually get ready for this this bodybuilding fitness contest I was doing. And I c I couldn't believe it.
(04:56) Within 30 days, within one month of doing this, my cramps were gone. >> Wow. >> They were gone. I mean, you have to understand, I know everybody may not have a story that has this much rivet or a shockingly uh unbelievable efficacy to something, but I was a completely different person. And if you know the compounded pain that I felt year after year after year, barreled over, not even be able to take a sip of water.
(05:21) I was really, really unwell. And what I realize now, my body had a cascade of inflammation. it just was so inflamed that every month I just was in pain. But with some nutrition and with some dietary guidelines, uh I really was a new person. So that was number one. That was that was what I I really gained that I got to figure this out and not take things just at value, not take things just as we see them, but to know to go in a little deeper.
(05:53) That's where I learned that. And then when I was older and I did have two beautiful boys after being told by many doctors, by the way, when you get that diagnosis, you probably can't have kids. >> And you know, the doctor looked right in my eyes, looked right in my mom's eyes. I'll never forget how my mom looked back at me, and she looked at me with such sorrow because the doctor said, "The chances are pretty profoundly high that you're not going to be able to have children." Henceforth, I had two boys.
(06:21) Uh that's and I'm very very grateful and blessed for that. So the second thing that happened is I had two boys. I was working in the clinic, working all the time and I just could not feel well. I was extremely tired all the time. The basic story, hair thinner, waist thicker. I just wasn't looking like myself anymore.
(06:42) And whenever I went to any doctor, anyone uh even colleagues, and I said, you know, what do you think's going on? There was a common mentality which was oh come on you have two kids now you're older and that thing that kicks in that says hm that hm that I developed when I was younger it said well if that's true that means everyone my age with kids would feel this way and they don't not everyone does it's not genetic it's not biological there's something else going on and so that's when I started really getting into ancient nutritional
(07:18) and understanding primal health, what our body actually truly needs. And it was only then that I could see a shift. So those two areas in my life gave me the latigala that gave me the tiger. It made me feel very fierce about wanting to help other people. It made me feel fiercely uh hugely uh a big advocate of everything that we stand for, that you stand for, I stand for.
(07:46) our paradigms are very similar. So, uh, and that's why I stuck around for as many years as I've had. I've been in this business 30 years, Jordan. 30 years. So, I've been undaunted. There's never been a time where I said, you know, there's something else I want to do or this is getting mundane or, you know, my curiosity is over here.
(08:05) It's always been this has always been my primary, you know, love outside of people. >> Well, you are Dr. Kellyanne, a doctor to the stars. You've been on every major media outlet. I I like to say on the cover of magazines, but most people are like what's a magazine now? Unfortunately, because we have been in this space for both of us 30ish years.
(08:25) But >> what you said earlier is a major symptom that goes I'll say unrecognized in young people. Now, while people listening and maybe their daughters are dealing with painful periods, not missing five days of school, but maybe not being themselves for a couple of days, maybe missing a day of school every other month, and they're being >> prescribed antibiotics, >> they're being prescribed birth control.
(08:55) They're being prescribed all these other things that aren't working, but they are told that this is normal. Now you mentioned something. You are from an Italian family. So first of all is Patrusi your maiden name. How did your parents pronounce it? >> Well when my f my my family first came over from Ellis Island it was Patruio.
(09:15) >> Petruio. I like that. That's very ethnic. >> Technically it's Petruuchio. But from what my father said the story is that there was so many issues with hiring Italians that to not sound over Italian they dropped the O. So it became patruchi. But by make no mistake about it, the seven fishes, the Sunday, you know, pasta and gravy, it it was happening.
(09:41) Well, that's why I was asking, not because it's so cool that you were Petruchio, and I'm going to bring that up to you when I see you out and about, but when you were 16 years old, when you were facing a partial hysterctomy, I wanted to understand what your diet was like because as someone who's uh ethnicity has such a strong it >> does uh overlap with food and diet and the way we look at American Italian food tends to have a lot of components that you and I wouldn't recommend for everyone.
(10:14) Tell me what 15 and 16year-old Kellyanne was eating. And then you had this breakthrough where a quote unquote fitness or bodybuilding diet changed your life. So there were some factors there that I think shaped how you would write your best-selling books, how you would teach, how you would practice with patients.
(10:32) But go back to 15-year-old Kellyanne, the 25 days of the month that you could eat because you were debilitated for five. What was your diet like? I want to share something personal [music] with you. About 7 years ago, I started planting fruit trees. Not dozens or thousands, but nearly 1 million trees. It all started with a Bible verse.
(10:55) The fruit will be for food and the leaves for healing. Ezekiel 47:12. Unlike the hundreds of times I had read this scripture before, it leapt off the page. Months later, another scripture confirmed what had stirred in my heart. The leaves of the tree are for [music] the healing of the nations. Revelation 22:2. I felt certain that fruit tree leaves held the Bible's bestkept health secret.
(11:24) So, I started studying [music] more than 1,500 fruit trees. And I learned everything I could about the powerful nutrients hidden in their leaves. And every single day of that journey, I drank these healing leaves myself in the form of a tea. Now, I'm honored to share it with you. This caffeine-free tea is made from a blend of 12 fruit tree leaves grown on our own farms, designed to support digestion, immune system health, boost energy, and support healthy blood sugar.
(12:01) If you want to try Healingleaves Tea for yourself, go to healingleaves.com/jr media and enter the code jordan20 for 20% off a one-time order. That's j o r d20 [music] for 20% off. My prayer is that you experience whole body transformation with [music] every cup, every sip of healing leaves tea. Okay, when I tell you I love pasta, it's an understatement. I love pasta.
(12:35) I love everything about it. And it also it brings me to that like those quintessential feel-good moments. My dad making the covid deals. I I could picture it. I can picture his hands. My father and I have very close relationship. I went up that hill every day after school, worked in his barber shop. My dad was a barber.
(12:54) And I held the cigar box, collected the money, swept the floor. This is where I came from. and you know, no no leg up on anything that I've ever achieved. First one in my whole family to ever go to college. No other lineage uh person ever went to college. So uh so I I just remember my dad whom I'm very close to rolling the pasta with his hands.
(13:14) I remember my grandmom five foot five foot. She and she would go to the grocery store every day. These little feet would walk her to the grocery store. She'd come back and she [snorts] every Sunday after church like like that was a non-negotiable. My that didn't matter how tired my parents were. They got their four kids up, dress them, and that was non-negotiable.
(13:37) We go to church after church. We went to my my grandmom's house. My grandfather died rather early. He was 62 when he died. Uh so my grandmom would be there and she would make everything from hand, all the pasta. So yes, it was made from hand. Yes, but I plowed down pasta all the time. And because it was such a happy moment, I didn't realize how lucky I was. How lucky I was.
(14:03) When I think and I picture that room where we were, that tiny tiny tiny little house near the train tracks, how much joy, happiness, love, warmth. So every time I ate pasta, unbeknownst to me at the time, I was tapping into every bit of that. Every bit of that. And so I ate a lot of pasta and a lot of bread.
(14:25) A lot of pasta, a lot of bread and a lot of lunch and meats because we'd have all kind of any pasta. You know this you know the story. So between lunch and meats between a lot of a lot of pasta and a lot of meatballs which I loved and you know when I make meatballs with my family we make what's called paleo meatballs.
(14:44) We don't put any of the grains in it, but they the flour like everything. And I wouldn't take it back. But I I obviously God was sending me on this this path, this, you know, as as he does. He was sending me on traveling. I was a traveler, life traveler. And he put me on all these different sit in these different situations.
(15:03) And I was supposed to be in there in the barberh shop with the cigar box. I was supposed to be at that family table plowing down pasta. I was supposed to be at that B in front of that bodybuilder in that moment when they said no gluten. I thought it was I didn't know what gluten was. I had to say what is gluten? I mean that's how >> is it in pasta? >> And yeah, that that's the first question.
(15:25) It was like me trying to put patients on a anti-inflammatory uh protocol and they'd say, "What do you mean no wine? No wine?" It was like panic, panic, panic. >> So that quote unquote bodybuilding diet, you said it had no gluten. Was it grain-free? What exactly was it that caused you to go from >> debilitated 5 days a month to feeling great, like a miracle? >> And I remember I had this really odd taste in my mouth during those five days. It was like a metal taste almost.
(15:54) Wow. >> And I like the whole like my whole composition changed. Uh so what was in that diet was a lot of protein, healthy proteins, a lot of vegetables. Um, I was a a lot of berries, um, a lot of fats, you know, healthy fats, like a lot of olive oil, all these things that were permitted at that time when I was getting ready for a show.
(16:18) But it was a, it just completely completely rewired me. Completely rewired me. And that's when I went, "Aha." So not only did I develop this this ability to to really h think about things from I I had that choice no kids uh for sure uh or you know and painful period or you figure it out.
(16:41) So I used that skill and I went huh this is amazing and that's where I learned about the power of food and after that I became maniacal learning understanding and and fascinating to me I started learning about genetics and what role does genetics play and ancestral nutrition and medicine and you know studying all the works of Lauren Cordane and the New England Journal of Medicine and the reporting that they did and uh understanding Weston Price Foundation and what the work that they put out.
(17:12) I just became at a very young age very involved in in food and what makes you better and what doesn't. >> Just for the audience, Weston A. Price was a dentist who also became the Indiana Jones of nutrition. Amazing. Studied the world's healthiest cultures. And Lauren Cordane was what you'd call an anthropological nutritionist. Very good.
(17:32) >> And he wrote the book and coined the term paleo diet. So you were studying Weston Arice which was fat soluble nutrition the importance of minerals ancestral foods and then Lauren Cordane was really grain-free dairyf free kind of this evolutionary type of a diet which I agree with some I have some differences but I understand that foundation because if you're consuming pasta all the time cheese and dairy that has A1 beta casein the issue and this is heritage.
(18:09) And we know that in America, even if you're an ethnic Italian family, you're still getting the crops and the grains and the ingredients that were now sprayed with glyphosate that were bred with more gluten. And all this happens unbeknownst to 15, 16year-old Kellyenne Patrruio. Petruio, I'm going to say Petrusio. Um, so your life changes.
(18:31) You're competing in fitness competitions. And you made a comment, you're the first in your family to go to college. You went on to study nutrition. So you studied biological medicine with a medical doctor in Switzerland, Dr. Thomas Ralph, who's world famous. Tell me how that along with the diet that you were following this fitnessoriented bodybuilding lower carb higher nutrient diet.
(18:58) How did that shape your future? >> Everything. So, first of all, when I talked about studying things like the Western Price Foundation and and Lauren Cardain, all of that, understand to me what that taught me, which is why I think it did have its moment and it hit hard because all it did was teach me different foods and different food groups that were better that were better than what we're used to.
(19:19) And it helped me categorize and understand, oh, okay, here are the healthy fats. Here are the smoke points. You know, Paleo is what taught all of this. Here are the healthy fats. here are the healthy uh fruits here. So it helped me compartmentalize in my brain and categorize which was incredibly helpful. It gave me a foundation.
(19:39) So that got me on the right eating path for me and for many. Then when I went on to study Swiss medicine with Dr. Thomas Ralph, the story was very interesting. It was a woman in Kentucky who was profoundly impressed by the work of the paristelsis clinic in Switzerland because her husband was very ill and became well. And so she said, "You know what? I want these American doctors to know more about this type of medicine.
(20:04) So I'm going to start this foundation and I am going to have Dr. Ralph uh teach doctors. I'm going to fund the whole thing and it's going to be two years." And I had just had a baby and I did not know what to do because I knew this was happening. I knew it was extraordinary, but I just had a baby and I couldn't decide. I decided to do it.
(20:23) It was the best thing I ever did. It absolutely shaped everything about how I think about nutrition, about medicine, about modalities, about diagnostics. It shifted so much. And I feel like that's what gave me my extraordinary kind of like that. It gave me that that you know that extra thing and I think that helped me pierce the stratosphere all the much more because it my thinking it was it it changed my thinking and so Dr.
(20:54) Ralph would do very interesting and he never taught that class again by the way after the two years. So was I right to do that? I was absolutely right. I was absolutely right. So he would do things like he would stick an X-ray panoramic X-ray and he'd say all right tell me what's wrong with this patient.
(21:09) He'd say to the group of doctors, "Come on, you should be able to tell by their mouth what's wrong." Really teaching that that directional point of your your health and and your and your mouth. Uh he would talk about different seasons and how your body was affected by different seasons. He would talk about music therapy, light therapy, all of these things that we really don't talk about.
(21:30) We we weren't talking about. It was not a big cultural hit then. And so it was really extraordinary and it was healing a patient understanding their microbiome. He used to talk about the microbiome friend or foe. I had never heard that term. No one had heard that term. That's why when I came back to the states and I was were saying things like this, people were like, "You need to write a book.
(21:54) You need to That's really my patients are why I'm here. It was my patients that kept saying, "You got to document this. You got to write this down." It again it gave me that because we weren't talking about anti-inflammatory foods. We just simply were not. We were not talking about the microbiome and the magic behind that. And had I not known about the microbiome when I was writing the five books on paleo living, I never would have even understood bone broth because they kept talking about this broth, this healing capabilities. And Mother Teresa would
(22:26) bring the broth to patients to open the gut to healing. And I read that sentence over and over again. I said, "Open the gut to healing?" Because there nobody was talking about probiotics and things is like like they are now like they are now. They just weren't. It wasn't like a big hit then.
(22:43) And so when I said, "Oh, well, what can do this? What can open up the gut to healing?" Ah, so there was a lot of lessons there. So you went to Switzerland, learned what you're calling Swiss biological medicine. >> Well, it was in the States. They had it in Newport, Rhode Island. You did go to the clinic, but the two years you had to go to Newport, Rhode Island.
(23:02) That's where the woman set up this foundation where she brought Dr. Thompson. >> Oh, great. Okay. So, you were studying, you visited Switzerland, but you were practicing >> biological European medicine. And today and really for the last decade, people would go all over the world to get treatments that they couldn't get in the United States.
(23:22) And it seems like true naturopathic medicine was practiced where they used heliootherapy, practicing uh getting the appropriate amount of sun at the right time. Things like the cannip water bath that you would walk in, which we call grounding or earthing today. a lot of the biohacking that we're doing from diet to body therapy, saunas and sunbathing and steam and all of that and you mentioned even music therapy and more.
(23:49) So you came back from that experience and really you were an eclectic practitioner and you were also introduced to concepts such as the gut being the second brain. >> Yes. Meaning 90 plus percent maybe 99% of illness of health challenges and conversely good health emanates from the gut.
(24:15) You would go on to write the books you talked about. You were on every major health program a regular on Dr. Oz. But I have to say, Kellyenne, how you and I met and I think what you're most known for is around that brown liquid substance that we call bone broth. And I remember our first conversation, it was probably about 10 or 11 years ago at least.
(24:39) >> Um, I had >> rekindled my passion for bone broth. And I knew based on your New York Times bestselling book, Dr. Kellyanne's Bone Broth Diet, that you were the bone broth queen. And I wanted to collaborate to get this message to the world. You remember that? >> I remember it. I was walking in a park in central California.
(25:01) And you know what? God's timing is always perfect, right? Because we've seen each other since and cross paths and hopefully we'll uh do some great things. >> People don't know that story about us. They don't know that story about us that we had those internal conversations way before. You know, people don't they don't know that part of the story.
(25:18) Well, it was interesting because both of us believed that bone broth was a quintessential superfood is and both of us had written about it. We had recommended it to people that we were coaching patients etc. But we found the same issues. Compliance is so tricky and so challenging. And we would see after our work that there's now frozen bone broths that are made properly.
(25:45) There's bone broth in a jar. There's bone broth in a can. You obviously had a massive line of bone broths and I started a company, Ancient Nutrition, with Dr. Josh Axe, that people referred to as a bone broth company. Oh, for sure. And I think more than just being a quintessential superfood, which I'm gonna ask you in a moment, why it is so good and why you recommend it and how you saw so many great benefits from weight loss to gosh inflammatory bowel disease, autoimmune disease recovery.
(26:17) But I think the understanding that bone broth with its collagen and glycosaminog glycans, it's a long fancy word to talk about glucosamine, chondroitin, hyaluronic acid, the beauty benefits, but really to appreciate bone broth is to appreciate the gut being the doorway to health. to appreciate how your body cleans itself up.
(26:47) Autophagy, a tool for fasting, but ultimately probably my favorite quote on bone broth, and this is hundreds of years old. A good broth can raise the dead. Now, we know that's not true, but the fact that it was quoted as an ancient proverb is pretty fabulous. So, >> why your love for bone broth? What do you believe it can do for people even as we sit here today, more than a decade after the bone broth craze that you helped start has now made it mainstream? In fact, Kellyanne, there were coffee shops that became bone broth beastro based on the work that you and
(27:28) some of us got out there. So, tell us about your more than decadel long infatuation with bone broth. Well, when you know this, when you are creating a category of any kind, it takes an absolute obsession and my obsession came from really studying the history. You have to realize the cultural aspect of this broth.
(27:56) I mean, my job and your job was really just to reconnect the world on a beautiful ancient food that already existed and to increase demand for food that we knew needed to be back on the table. And for me, I knew it was my life's mission. I knew it. I knew it. I knew that it was a full-fledged obsession and that when you first start creating something, you really have to love it because the commerce is the education.
(28:25) So you're spending a lot of time blood sucking time and when you have young children you are making a commitment and a decision that's big. So when I look at bone broth or I look at my company and I always look at my gosh I miss this I miss this. I miss this. It's got to be worth it. It has to have an impact.
(28:46) So the broth has to be every bit as good as I say. It has to be as efficacious as it intends to be and that I know it can be. It has to be because my what I'm putting on the table, my cards on the table are my children. So those stakes, they were high. And it had to be because when I saw it in action, it pulled so many nutritional levers and I saw so many differences.
(29:12) And when I told you, I was like on my knees. I was just suffering. I could not get my body to re-engage, reignite. I could not get that restoration back. And when I saw what it could do for me and others, I was paying attention, close attention. One of the top things that people go to doctors for or any practitioner for is achy joints.
(29:34) And one of the things I noticed with these people, I tested it out in three cities. That's what the bone broth diet was about. Like I tested this out and I had different somebody running these these uh these whole big productions that we had with making sure we got people in. We had them on the bone broth. Let's document everything we're seeing, hearing all of it.
(29:54) So when I found out, my gosh, it's actually soothing the joints. There's something going on in this broth that's healing the joints. I'm noticing that, you know, the skin is better. I'm noticing that they're feeling better. I'm noticing that they're losing weight. All of these affects are the result of something very powerful and that is I defy anyone to find something that goes in and does its job healing the gut better than something like bone broth.
(30:19) the elements in bone broth. You're talking about protein, collagen, gelatin, you're talking about minerals, you're talking about electrolytes, you're talking about glucosamine, like you said, you're talking about all of these beautiful, beautiful amino acids, these elements that are so in charge of upbuilding and restoring.
(30:41) It's like the greatest oxymoron because it it can also soothe and relax you, but it's so powerful at restoring you that it also gives you life. So, when they talk about bringing you back to life, it it can it can make you feel that way. And when you look at all these different traditions and these different cultures that have their indigenous uh bone broth, you can see that this is something that is woven into the fabric of human history.
(31:09) And so reconnecting the public to this has been my greatest joy and it's something that I'm very proud of and I know that that's you know part big part of my legacy is is understanding that that was a connection that needed to be made because the a effects are far too great to be remiss and and when I wanted to call the book the bone broth diet the publisher said oh well Dr.
(31:34) Kellyanne, you can't call this the bone broth diet because no one is going to buy something called bone broth. And I said, "Well, what would you have me call something that's literally bone broth?" And they said, "Well, why don't you call it soup? Why don't you call it like better soup?" And I and it's so funny how your body works.
(31:52) All of a sudden, Mona Lisa, her picture shot up in my face for whatever reason. And I said, 'Well, calling bone broth, you know, a better soup is like calling the Mona Lisa that girl, you know, that girl [laughter] because it's extraordinary and and it is bone broth and it has helped a lot of people. And if you know the Kaggar, which is the compounded growth rate of something, I mean, bone broth is it just does not go away.
(32:16) It just keeps the the category keeps expanding and getting better, getting better all the time. cleaner and more variety and and better flavor profiles and it just keeps getting better. So, it's here to stay and it's been a part of history and a part of culture and I love it. >> It's definitely been resurrected. you see the resurgence of bone broth.
(32:36) And if you're going down being known as the queen of bone broth, there are certainly worse things to have attributed to you. But I would say, Kellyanne, we were in a very similar situation where we were both already health practitioners. We were already in the natural health movement and both of us had health challenges.
(32:58) Yours was sort of this just general breakdown. You're a doctor, but you're not feeling your best. You're missing something. For me, I had a serious knee injury and I knew bone broth was great. I knew that if people would consume it for the first four to even 10 days of their wellness journey with inflammatory bowel disease, with autoimmune disease, like rheumatoid arthritis, >> obesity, etc.
(33:23) It was great, but I somehow lost my way because bone broth at the time, this was 10, 11 years ago, was difficult to make. When I was on crutches with a knee injury, my wife and I had six kids. We just adopted a few more. And I couldn't make bone broth for 24, 48 hours, and if I asked her, she might uh kick my other good leg. >> Uh and so it was really a quest to try to make bone broth approachable and make it a thing.
(33:51) And I remember reading your book, seeing you on all these programs, and the question was, "What is bone broth?" And the publisher probably wanted a different name because bone broth was not really part of the vernacular. People would call it stock. They would call it chicken soup. And people forgot that throughout history when we would get a surgery or be in a convolescent situation in a hospital, we would be served two things.
(34:21) One would be broth and one would be jell-o. And what were those? Those were collagen and gelatin even though now they're making >> broth out of bullion cubes, MSG, etc. But you and I both over the last 11 years have tried to democratize the consumption of bone broth so that it could be out there. But I don't think even you knew that bone broth would become a cultural phenomenon and so cool, something that's hot, right? And now it's interesting because when we first started I remember the age gap I would say it was is like older women and
(35:00) I and when I say older I mean like 35 plus. They were the ones that were most attracted to bone broth. Now it's un rarely do you have anything on the marketplace that has a wide net. I call it most of the time it's deep. Okay. It's deep and narrow and it's it's this I mean kids, uh, young adults, uh, middle-aged, older people, they absolutely have their purpose for it and they absolutely love it.
(35:30) And it's very cool to see the packets of bone broth exchanged all the time. And I hear conversations about it all the time, not knowing that it's me standing there and just listening to people talk about health and wellness. Bone broth now comes into the conversation. >> That is so cool. And it's so cool. >> I've spent decades studying health through both science and scripture.
(35:53) Over the years, I've learned that most people feel overwhelmed by conflicting health advice, and they simply don't know who to trust anymore. That's exactly why I created the Biblical Health Journal. [music] Every week, I share practical health insights your doctor will probably never talk about, like why you keep waking up at 3:00 a.m.
(36:15) , what foods you should actually skip at the farmers market, and even why drinking water with meals may be hurting your digestion. These are short, powerful emails [music] that combine biblical wisdom, modern science, and decades of experience helping people restore their health naturally. Nearly 75,000 people already get these weekly emails and the feedback has been incredible.
(36:42) So, if you want trustworthy biblical health wisdom delivered directly to your inbox, go to jordan rrubin.com and subscribe for free. What would you say are the top five health conditions that people face that bone broth is most indicated for where everybody should be thinking, "Oh my gosh, >> yeah, >> I need bone broth.
(37:04) " Because in the scheme of things with supplements and superfoods, you've got your berries from South America. There's these different minerals that can come and go. And now there's all these molecules that people take to boost NAD+. People are now wearing nicotine patches. And these are things that most of the time I either disagree with or I feel like it's a fad.
(37:28) Bone broth is a multi,000-year-old health secret that was hidden in plain sight. But if someone's watching or listening and they want to know, am I a candidate to start making, drinking, mixing bone broth, what would your top five off the top of your head be? >> I would say, and I bring this up because I know what a good job it does, and I know it's one of the top issues is any kind of joint pain.
(37:52) any kind of joint pain or if you need that recovery from exercise for your joints, it works fabulously. And I believe it's the collatin, the coalin, collagen, the gelatin that does that in addition to the electrolytes in there that really goes through in addition to the glucosamine and chondroitin. We know it's in there.
(38:11) Now, I'm gonna interrupt you because you probably heard this and even stimulated it, but worldclass athletes from NBA to MLB to NFL, they would have their chefs make bone broth, real bone broth, not stock, not 30 minutes, but real bone broth, and they would consume it pre and postgame, uh, while they're icing their knees, etc., because of all the toll that their body takes.
(38:38) So, someone with joint pain can benefit, but what about someone who wants to play more pickle ball or wants to get in the gym? >> What a good point you bring up. What a good This is kind of like the pregame for your joints because it keeps them healthy. It keeps them l lubricated. It keeps that nutrition going to them. So, it's one of the best things that you can do for your joints.
(38:58) So, it's something that's easy that you don't you're not even thinking about. You're drinking broth and it's feeding a It's very important and you don't realize how important your joints, tendons, and ligaments are until they start not working well. >> Oh. Oh, yeah. >> Then then you are reminded real quick how important they are.
(39:14) >> Yes. Or when you have children in their teens and 20s that consistently think your best athletic days are in the past. Yes. I'm talking about myself. [laughter] But uh Kellyanne, here's something that I think is an underrated use of bone broth. And I do want you to get to your next four, but this is along those same lines.
(39:32) People talk about collagen, chondroitin, glucosamine. Joints and skin sort of get a lot of the cred when it comes to bone broth, but I think the electrolytes, the minerals, the potassium, the sodium, magnesium, little bit of calcium in bone broth in its suspension in this soluble liquid. >> Oh, I love how you said absolutely amazing.
(39:53) That was number two, by the way. Go for it. Okay. Because, and I'm so glad you brought it up because I am watching all these electrolyte packets all over the place. God bless them. Good. I'm glad that you're increasing awareness to electrolytes and you're understanding that you need them. But what a beautiful form in bone broth. You're naturally getting that hydration and those electrolytes.
(40:16) And I even love to put, you know, what a little Baja Gold or whatever even in the broth because it even brings out the flavor even more. So you're getting that, you know, double dose of electrolytes, but the natural form of electrolytes is so good to make all the channels and gates in your body working. So when your body is working hard, you got to give it you got to give it something to help you work.
(40:39) And that's what I like about electrolytes. Well, I just thought of something because you and I have iterated on these things before, but when you consume bone broth without adding salt to it, you're getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 to 300 milligrams of potassium and about half that much sodium, but it doesn't come from added salt.
(41:01) It comes from the chicken. And so I would say, and we're going to say this for the first time on the air, that the electrolytes you get from bone broth are bioididentical electrolytes because they're not mined like a salt. >> So I want people to understand this like versus this like meets like. >> Okay. >> So if if you want better bones, what is the best thing you can do? It goes back to those homeopathic theorems from, you know, ages ago. You take in bone.
(41:30) It's like meets light or like versus like those homeopathic theorems again. So, it's the same kind of principles. You take in that cartilage and and all that good connective tissue. And so, I'll skirt to three really quick. Beauty. We talk about beauty and people are looking for beauty.
(41:49) What is beauty? I'll tell you what it is, folks. It's two things. It's connective tissue. Number one, you are more attractive than someone else. Not because God makes us all beautiful in a sense and I really believe that it's connective tissue. Get connective tissue and you know you can rule the world. >> And that's collagen and elastin.
(42:08) Collagen. When people say connective tissue, they might think, "Oh, it's in my nose." But when your skin is quote unquote supple and hydrated, that is because of the compounds that are extracted from animal skins and bones and joints and ligaments. It that's what bone broth is. It's an extract of these compounds.
(42:31) And I love that you said bone health because most people will think calcium, but really there's more collagen in bones. Okay. So, we've got joint pain and then we talked about athletic performance, electrolytes, which hydrates your body, and now skin. What is number four? Okay, this is this is a tough because there's there's actually so many benefits that I would like to talk about, but bloating is a big issue that people bring in all the time.
(42:59) Here's what's beautiful about bone broth. It is easy on the digestion. >> It is like a peptide in a sense. Okay. So, you've got this this protein that's very easy to assimilate, very easy for your body to absorb, grab onto, and use. So if you feel bloated, one of the best things that you can do, a really beautiful hack for this is at night have bone broth >> with what in it? >> And what type of bone broth? >> So okay, there are different values to maybe beef versus turkey versus chicken, right? We can talk about that.
(43:36) But any of the bone broth, >> any of them matter doesn't matter the type is very helpful. So, one of the things that I love at night because for bloating this is really good. I put maybe a tablespoon of something fermented. Even sauerkraut tastes great in bone broth. >> So, I get like that bubby sauerkraut. That's real sauerkraut.
(43:56) You need the real stuff. So, you get naturally fermented. >> Naturally fermented. It's got to be or kimchi or whatever it is that you love. I put a little bit of that in there. And I also use avocado. Avocado is very good, very powerful for bloating and it makes the broth taste real like they help each other. >> Wow. >> They help each other.
(44:15) So, it's beautiful. And then I'll throw some protein in. You got to keep this easy, folks. Like, it doesn't This is not hard. This is not hard science. I always used to tell people about like even broth when there was none other available when you and I started that they had to make it like this is what's so beautiful about this.
(44:31) Don't you don't even need a knife. Just break stuff. Throw it in the pot. It's the same premise with this. Don't overthink it. Don't make it hard. But bloating goes down tremendously when you start having bone broth at night and you don't have a lot of food and you have the broth. It's very satiating because you've got the healthy fats, you've got the protein in there, you've got the fiber in there because you're putting the fermented food in there.
(44:57) And everyone should have a hack anyway on having a fermented food in their diet because it makes such a big difference in so many different areas. But I love to add that. So, and it tastes it tastes absolutely wonderful in soup. >> And you mentioned peptides. Bone broth has peptides in it because the heating process of that extraction gives you collagen peptides.
(45:20) If it's poultry, you'd have collagen type two. And if it's fish or red meat, you'd have one in three. Sounds awesome, but it's not only like a peptide. It is a peptide. and consuming it at night with >> the glycine, >> the warmth, it helps your liver, everything you put in it is not going to drive blood sugar.
(45:40) It's not going to imbalance cortisol. People talk about drinking warm milk at night, and if it's the right kind of milk, I can get behind that. But bone broth as a night cap is huge. Okay, so what is your number five benefit of bone milk? And like I said, I could name so many, but let me just say if you are somebody who is uh aging uh beautifully, okay, you're you're getting a little older.
(46:04) We need to find ways to meet our protein goals. And so if I have a meal and I know that this meal is not going to hit my protein goals, I make a quick cup of bone broth because there's quick and easy ways to get bone broth now. And that's 15 grams, 16 grams of protein. I mean, you realize that like if it's >> when I tell you it's impactful and if you don't understand this whole thing about protein and you think this all this protein talk is overboard, I understand. I do.
(46:32) But the fact of the matter is the best thing that you can do for longevity, you can listen to all of these talks, all all of it, read all the books, all the podcasts. Holding on to muscle is the greatest thing that you can do. Well, because why? It fuels your metabolism, right? Everything rises and falls on your metabolism.
(46:52) And I was having a conversation with somebody earlier. If you want to know about humanity and you want to learn about the deaths of humanity, go to a nursing home, okay? the sadness, the the the and many of the patients in there are there because they've either had a stroke u many many of them but the the central uh affect came from diabetes.
(47:17) >> Wow. >> So what I'm saying is diabetes is a very big problem. We don't discuss it enough. We don't do enough about it. So, regulating the blood sugar, doing whatever you can to keep that blood sugar regulated, having a metabolically flexible body where you're pulling more from stored fat than glucose and holding on to your muscle tissue.
(47:42) Can you see why I can just talk about this all day? It just just does so many things. So, getting that protein hit in there, getting that extra 15, 16 grams while you're eating something else, and how hard is that? You're enjoying it. the bone broth, the flavor profiles now are through the roof. So, you can actually enjoy something savory and and warm and warm liquids are very good for digestion.
(48:05) >> Yes. Well, I'm going to say something now that is a criticism of bone broth that is going to make you slightly angry. You talk about protein and I fully believe that bone broth has a protein sparing effect, a muscle sparing effect. Case in point, if I were to go on a 7-day juice fast or juice cleanse, I would wither away.
(48:27) I'd lose maybe 20 pounds, a lot of it muscle, and I'd look like I aged. If I go on a broth fast, I'm talking real bone broth. >> God bless, >> made in 30 minutes, etc. I have maintained muscle. I'll actually look younger. I'll have lost weight, of course. But there's something powerful about it. But here's what will make you angry.
(48:52) The modern science will say bone broth protein is useless. Meaning the protein found in bone broth is not essential amino acids. Therefore, it's not a complete protein. Doesn't have the right blah blah blah. So, answer me that because as a fellow bone broth, I'll say uh pioneer, it has been something I've dealt with for a long time.
(49:16) And I want to hear Dr. Kellyanne's message to those who say the protein in bone broth is essentially worthless. >> It's like talking about fasting and talking about bone broth fasting and getting into the whole concept of autophagy and realizing that one variable point is not everything. So in other words, if I want to help somebody with fasting or cleansing and they don't go into autophagy, so it's not worth it because they're not going into auto full autophagy.
(49:42) It's the same thing with this. The if someone doesn't think that the protein in bone broth, well, it may be missing a little bit of trip tryptophan, okay? Maybe missing some of that. If they don't think it it has an effect, if it's efficacious, then they really need to read all the testimonials. I have thousands and thousands and thousands.
(50:03) And they really need to see see it for themsel what happens to your body after you start using bone broth in a fasting situation because you can either look flabby and and uh older or you can start looking vital and start looking like you've got that life force. You look more uplifted. We want to be uplifted in life and everything we do, everything that we are. We want that vitality.
(50:29) We want that life force. We want to be uplifted. when you do a juice class and I was a proponent I mean when I first started I think about you know it was a flex I did 14 days yeah I did and I think about it now what are you talking about so you know and in bone broth or even in juicing what you're really getting is antioxidants you're not even getting the fiber most of the time so it really is not beneficial uh very very little benefit so the bone the the protein uh profile in bone broth is enough to make a big difference in your
(51:04) body. It just is. So, we can be all nuanced and we could get into it and we could talk about how it's not absolutely 100% complete. It's that's not how life the body longevity that's not how it should be or or uh it's not it's not going to benefit anyone because if you look at the actual testimonials, you look at the people, you look at the pro the protein profile that's in there, you look at the amino acids that are in there, it's going to move the needle.
(51:34) And let's talk about moving the needle. Let's not talk about being so so in a tunnel of saying, "Well, it's not this, it's not that." Well, you can't be like that about some things and not about that about everything. A lot of the things that we're doing with peptides, all these other things, they're not 100%. Nothing's 100%.
(51:55) Very rare is it 100%. So, in my opinion, after doing this for a long time, after seeing thousands and thousands of people start out from ground zero and then turn on to bone broth and use it in different systems or just include it in their life, I would say I'm not going to worry about that. I'm going to worry about results. Talk to me about results.
(52:16) >> I would say this, bone broth isn't a miracle in and of itself. Now, to some people, they feel like consuming bone broth gives them miraculous results, but the amino acids that are in bone broth are missing from our diet. I've said that we represent the first brothless generation. So, if we look back, Kellyanne, my history is also from Europe, but Jewish. Yours is Italian.
(52:41) Our families probably share a lot of similar uh personality traits due to the ethnicity. But what else they share is that our grandparents consumed bone broth every week, if not every day. They couldn't afford to throw away the carcass of the animal. My grandmother, who was the youngest of seven, she always said to me that by the time that big pot of soup they made with the chicken that they got from their backyard, by the time it got to her, cuz she ate last, all she got was broth, gribbinous, and schmaltz. Go. Now,
(53:17) schmaltz is the fat, which is amazing, and we can go into that at some point. Grivenous is the skins of the chicken. And then she got the broth and she complained because the meat was gone. And I asked her, "Grandma, how come when you serve us roast chicken, you stay in the kitchen and I see you eating the bones and nibbling on it?" She learned at a young age that this was a survival mechanism.
(53:44) But I also looked at her at 82 years old. She was perfect posture, very strong, walking two miles to the grocery store because she never drove. And I attribute a lot of that to her upbringing where what people thought was trash became her treasure. Because today we live in a world of chicken nuggets and white meat chicken.
(54:03) It's all about chicken breast. And wouldn't you know it, dark meat chicken is healthier. Wouldn't you know it, consuming poultry in a broth and then eating the meat is the best way to do it. And because science isn't catching up with the truth and with history, yes, we have >> dogmatic researchers saying, "Well, according to the 1940s, when we fed hens who were supposed to lay 300 eggs a year, a feed that didn't have an amino acid called methionine, it didn't help them lay 300 eggs.
(54:39) So therefore, fast forward, collagen is not a complete protein." When you and I know it's missing. And for some that means it's a miracle. And I remember this phone call you and I had 11 years ago where I said, Kellyanne, you're not going to believe this. I think we've created the first protein from bone broth. And I think it's a way that people will understand it because protein's popular.
(55:03) It's got 20 grams. And this is going to be a way to get bone broth into people. and we went throughout the last decade mostly apart trying to come together to work on this. But in a way I think um you myself our good friend Dr. Josh Axe, we probably turned more people on to this quintessential superfood than anyone.
(55:26) And I know there's dog dogmatism in the research world, but I would say to people listening today and watching today that bone broth is one of the greatest superfoods you can add to your diet. And I'll give you a little hack that I use. And you probably already figured this out. >> Talk about ginger, turmeric, all that.
(55:46) >> Oh, that that's a given. >> I love that. That's a given. So, I I love the sauna. So, I go in either a finish or an infrared sauna either every day or multiple times a day in my house. Uh, our community has one. And I love electrolytes. I've been formulating some electrolytes for different brands and and I believe in minerals a lot.
(56:10) and I'm in the sauna and I'm thinking, well, an electrolyte blend usually has some type of sugar or if not it's got flavors and it's sweet. So, for me, even if it's no sugar added and it's still sweet, it's going to trigger something. If I drink a sweet electrolyte, guess what I might want afterwards? Something sweet again.
(56:29) And I make really good sweets. Like right now, Kellyanne, if you look in my freezer, I have homemade sheep milk sour sap ice cream. Like, nobody gets that. like sour sap guabina. So anyway, I have the best food in the [laughter] world. But you know what I started doing in my sauna to replenish the electrolytes that I've lost, sodium, potassium, etc.
(56:51) I use bone broth in my sauna. It's It's already warming. It helps accelerate perspiration and heat shock proteins. Zero carbohydrate, zero sugar, and I'm walking out of there with 15, 20 grams of protein. And if I stay in long enough, I'll do a quart a liter of bone broth. And I just thought that was the coolest thing. I'm I'm stacking hacking.
(57:15) >> And not stacking hacking. And not only that, like you're getting those shock proteins in a way I never heard. >> There you go. See, >> and you know, and you know, but here's the thing. The heart of the animal, the lungs, the liver, all of these organ meats and so forth. Do you understand? They were treasured.
(57:32) Like this is so I feel impassioned to reignite this. >> Okay. Like these organ meats are vitally important. They're they're your blood. They build the blood >> better than anything. So it's very meaningful to me that cultures have used this to literally resurrect themselves. >> Absolutely. And talk about peptides. >> These organs are loaded with peptides.
(57:55) >> And what about like we talked about the we talked about I want to bring this up. We talked about all of the things that bone broth might not have or the some of the people that are saying, "No, well, it doesn't have this." But what about the fact that it has like stem cell activation potential? Yes. >> Have you read that? >> Well, not only that, Kellyanne, the fat we talked about, the schmaltz that my grandmother got, there's stem cells >> in there because it comes from bone marrow. So, I have a small dog that I
(58:24) love probably too much, like so many of us. And this morning when I left, I gave her a water buffalo femur bone. Now, she's seven pounds, so she looked at it and barked because she couldn't lift it right away or figure it out. But I will scoop some of the marrow out. She'll eat some of the marrow, but there are stem cells.
(58:43) >> I'm so into it. These bones. >> So, so when you talk about, well, it doesn't have exactly the whole amino profile, the amino acid profile, and I just smile to myself. I'm back in that moment where they don't want to call it bone broth. It's a knowing. It's like, okay, you can say that all you want, but I know if I'm taking something internally that it naturally is activating my stem cells.
(59:04) >> I'm all about it. Oh, yeah. So, you can talk about one missing, whatever the all you want, but I'm going to pay attention to what it's done for my body over the past how many years, what it's done for so many. And again, you know, when the kaggar of something, the compounded growth of something is just getting stronger and stronger, there has got to be efficacy.
(59:26) It's not the way the market works. >> Yes, you're and bone broths or at least the quality bone broths are premium products. And the bone broths you buy in a jar, you buy in a frozen bag, you buy in a packet or you make yourself. It's a big in-depth process. And we're seeing butcher shops or grocery store butcher counters sold out of bones.
(59:47) I used to go and ask for chicken feet so that we could get all the collagen. Now you can't even find it. >> Can't even find it. >> So I don't want to make this all about bone broth. So we talked about five benefits of bone broth, but I'm going to challenge you to >> This is going to get cut out. I know. >> No, no, no.
(1:00:00) This is staying [laughter] your next four superfoods. You got bone broth. You alluded to organs. And I think you and I would both agree. Organs are one of the most important. >> I would say number one. I would say that would be my top. If if I have to kick bone broth out of the picture, I would say uh organ meats. Okay. Because the organ meats are again are going to build that blood.
(1:00:21) And think about the blood and the vitality of your circulation. You know, having to do with your circulation, your lymphatic system, building healthy cells which build organs. So, you're really building better organs when you go through that regenerative process when you're taking in uh all the the things like organ meats and and all that makes a big difference and how you're constructed and how your body uses raw materials to basically remodel you because the remodeling goes on all the time.
(1:00:51) You have to give it the materials in which to do so. And your body will activate and will remodel. And it's a beautiful thing. And that's why when we talk about health, wellness, longevity, and aging, I don't fear it because I know I'm going to continue to remodel my body. And uh it's I'm I'm going to feel healthier.
(1:01:09) And you know, look, no one wants to age. No one wants that. No one wants that. And it doesn't get easier as you get older. I am fully admitting that. But I'm also saying it doesn't wear on me like it's supposed to. For a woman my age, it doesn't because I know about things like how to naturally activate stem cells.
(1:01:28) I know about things like organ meetats and what it's going to do. And I know about how to naturally remodel and even saunas that we talked about, what a difference that makes. So I think that that would be number one. I would say number two for me would be fermented foods. Um, so when you're talking about gut health, what's interesting about gut health is there's we have, you know, trillions of these microorganisms and each person has maybe a varying maybe a hundred different of of this bacteria, viruses, all these things that naturally live in the body. So out of
(1:02:02) all of those microbes, we might have a diversity of maybe a hundred of them, hundred different ones. And what's fascinating to me is that your fingerprint is different than my fingerprint. Your microbiome is different than mine. And I think that's why things when you talk about the the subjectivity of things, I think that's why I think it's because your microbiome is different than mine.
(1:02:25) And so what I love about fermented foods is that they really go in and they saturate that system that's in charge of so many different things. Like we said, immunity. like it basically tells you what's good and what's not good for your body. That's what your immune system does. And so your microbiome is the one that charges this.
(1:02:42) It charges a lot of the feel-good hormones that we have. The brain capacity, you know, that we have. Of course, digestion. We know that that barrier in our body, our gut wall is like the size of one cell wall. That's how thin it is. Okay? So, it can be impacted by many, many things. So, we've got to do what we can to keep that that terrain.
(1:03:03) We have to understand what the terrain is. And you know in that large intestine that whole system that whole ecosystem everyone has to have awareness because every day you're impacting that by what you do how you think all of it your stress all of it and it's just too important because it's in charge of too many different things.
(1:03:20) The other thing I would say I would say number three would be oldfashioned fats I call them. You and I had touched on them briefly. It's the beef fat. It's the duck fat. It's the chicken fat. And this is new to people. They still it's still at the beginning of the bell curve. I still don't see the discussions even on the platforms.
(1:03:39) I don't see them as robust as I would have expected given how good they are. And why are they good? Because we talked about that gut wall being ever so thin. And these are things things that make your gut very uh lock, stock, and barrel. It gets it really strong so things don't leave that shouldn't leave and go into your bloodstream and cause all those autoimmune reactions.
(1:04:02) You want to keep that really locked and loaded uh those junctures. And so what I love about healthy fats is they help go into your body and get those junctures nice and tight. So I would say healthy fat. What number am I for? >> And let me let me mention this. So you're also talking about ghee perhaps and butter which has butyrate butyricaric acid and butyrate are great to help reverse gut hyper permeability known as leaky gut syndrome.
(1:04:28) Uh, you know what? We won't worry about the numbers. Uh, you're at four if you count bone broth three without talking about old-fashioned fats, the kinds that our grandparents consumed, not that are made in a manufacturing facility. >> Yes. And then I have to say the another one which we all know about proteins, but I I'll go a little bit further and say really healthy meats and proteins are very important.
(1:04:56) they have the conjugated linoleic acids in them and a lot of people the the healthier they are. So if you can get it as close to n supernatural uh without being adulterated in any way, these healthy proteins are very good for the body. And we talk about creatine. You hear all the stuff about creatine. We want naturally forming.
(1:05:19) Again, your body is designed to understand things that are bioindiv >> that match your biology. >> Your body is designed for that. So the closer we can match our biology, the more affect we're going to have. So I'm not saying like when you talk about like fermented foods, I'm not telling you not to have postbiotics, prebiot. I'm not telling you that.
(1:05:40) I'm telling you that start with the foundational stuff. That's how you get foundational health, foundational beauty, all of it. You have to start with the with the premise. And the premise is get it naturally to your own biology. Because even when we talk about like lotions, creams like tallow, the reason why I like tallow cream as a lotion is because it's got those it's got the type of fats in there that your body recognizes identical.
(1:06:06) >> Yes. It's the same type of fats that your skin has. So it goes in there and what it happens your body sucks it in. >> Your body just sucks it in. And so when that happens and it doesn't just sit on top and it goes into the cellular system, it starts to heal. It starts to heal.
(1:06:23) That's the difference between something that's bioididentical to something that well let me this is made and this is all natural and it's all organic. Great. But it can't come close to something that matches your body's biology. >> Okay. I'm going to do some rapid fire questions and >> No, I didn't get any notes for this. I want everyone to know this.
(1:06:40) I didn't get any notes. >> I I know enough to know uh that you went from uh Kellyanne Patrutio, the pasta lover to you just like all about animal foods. I'm gonna give you a little bit of a a true or false and you can elaborate. So, egg yolks, >> love, >> love. Why? >> Biotin, choline, all these good stuff, a healthy fat, I'm not afraid.
(1:07:05) A lot of people who are afraid, I'd say at least put a yolk in there. And if you want the egg whites, and I know it's all over the platforms now, you can't lose weight with eggs. Yes, >> I beg to differ. I did bodybuilding shows. I did fitness contests. I never separated them. But if you feel that you must and you want to miss out on all of the great benefits of the yolk, which is really the primary piece, then then at least have one yolk.
(1:07:28) >> Huge brain food. Okay. Sardines. >> Okay. Number one beauty food. It is such a 10. It is the number one beauty food that there is. Start eating sardines. Do a sardine challenge. >> Have a can of sardines every day. And if you travel and you want a protein hit, [laughter] carry >> stink up the plane. >> Oh my god. my kids.
(1:07:48) I go the poor between the kimchi and the sardines. I can't wait. >> That that is a uh that'll clear the cabin. >> It'll clear the cabin. But so do it. I don't know. Go in the bathroom and open it. I've done that. Uh but sardines are the ultimate food for your skin. And it again, it's because it's got the there's a wonderful It's all about the omega-3 to omega6 ratio.
(1:08:08) And whenever the ratio is the beneficial, you're golden. And so there's so much beneficial fat in there that it's just makes your skin glow. >> Berries, >> I love berries. I love dark berries. They have all those polyphenols in there that really good for cellular activity, >> seasonal eating. >> Okay, so Dr.
(1:08:31) Ral talked a lot about this. We learned about this. Most people think that's very beneficial to move and groove with the cadence of our natural uh agriculture. So, I'm going to say yes. And I know it's difficult today because we can always get foods out of season, but I think if you live in an environment that is temperate, where you're having summers that are hot and winters that are cold, to me, it doesn't make sense to consume watermelon when it's 20° outside and you're shivering.
(1:09:05) And it also may not make sense to have a hot soup in a 96 degree. That's when you go to the collagen, the bone broth protein. >> Absolutely. So, I think there's definitely something to that and I agree with it as well. Uh, aerobic exercise. >> Nope. >> And just to be clear, what kind of exercise is good? And we're talking about not 20 year olds, but 50, 60, 70 year olds.
(1:09:30) What type of exercise? >> So, you're talking, so you have to think about the HPA axis when you're talking about somebody 50, 60, 70. And a lot of people don't understand when they're working out why they don't feel primed like they read about all the time. Why am I not feeling as good exercise is very subjective.
(1:09:48) So I can try to do CrossFit and you know how I'm going to look. I'm going to look square. Crossfit is going to knock my cortisol out of but there are some people who love it and it brings them to life. Awesome. This is personal play like no other area of longevity medicine to me is how you exercise.
(1:10:05) But here's what you have to keep in mind. First of all, the research shows that we are designed to move one hour a day. >> So when you move under an hour and that is from that's very good data. So when you move under an hour a day, that is when you start getting what what we call uh a closed spine. Okay, we get you don't want you want your spine all of that nutrition it's got in the in in between the disc in the disc.
(1:10:30) You want all that good stuff to come out and all that good brain that spinal fluid. You want all of that to be neutrified and really lubricate. So, one hour a day and everything counts. If you're chasing the kids up the you're walking to the grocery store from the parking lot, all of it counts.
(1:10:47) But when you're get when you get older, >> circulation is very important. Lymphatics [clears throat] are very important. So, as you're moving, you want to think along those lines. You want to think about your circulation. Do the big five every day. Hey, do you know what that is? >> Tell us. >> Okay, so look up big five. If you were watching this and you don't know what it is, it's it's very quick.
(1:11:07) It's tapping your lymphatic points and getting your lymphatics moving. So, I'll do it in the sauna a lot of times. I'll just tap through. >> Older people need to do that because we don't it doesn't flow like like it used to be. I also think you have to think limbic. So, you have to think about really your posture.
(1:11:25) What ages you more than anything is your posture. >> Wow. >> Okay. even aesthetically everything. So you need to think about limbic type of exercises. Is that Pilates? Is that yoga? I don't know. Whatever is right for you. But start thinking about your limbs using those accessory muscles, which is why I I am an advocate for Pilates because it does two things.
(1:11:43) Mobility and posture. Mobility and posture is what tends to be lacking as you get older. Now, let's talk about a non-negotiable. As you get older, you do need to hold on to muscle and you need that bone impact to help to have healthy bone. So, I am an advocate of putting two days of weights into your And if you can do more, great.
(1:12:03) And if it doesn't affect your cortisol, great. >> Any age. >> Any age. Any age. >> Start today at 88. >> Please start at 88. Please. That's exciting to me. That's fun. But yes. So, so the non-negotiable is you have to do something to hold on and preserve that muscle. I like bodybuilding type of things.
(1:12:22) Don't think of that as being like a hardship because I'd like impact on bones. >> Yeah. >> Okay. That's how you prevent things like that osteopenia, that osteoporosis that that we're seeing in DEXA scans all over the place. So, and especially with these GLP1s, we're seeing a lot more of that. So, we have to be adherent to that. And if you are on a GLP1, when I say non-negotiable, I mean with an exclamation point.
(1:12:44) If you are on a a GLP-1 and you are not doing weight training, then you're not being responsible. It's as simple as that. >> Okay. So, you mentioned multiple foods that are your favorites for creating great health in the body, etc. Then, uh we went back and forth on some of my favorite foods for you to give the yay or the nay. Um you're traveling.
(1:13:06) When you go home tonight, what is the first thing you're going to eat? Like today, as we sit here, what is the food or foods that your body needs for where you're at right now? because I know what you think is great. I know what you write about and recommend for patients, but what is it for you right now? I kind of mentioned sheet milk ice cream with sour stuff, but what's your food right now? >> If I go home and I don't have time to eat, I'll eat something out of a can.
(1:13:33) That's what you're like. I'll eat a tuna. I'll make I'll make something really quick with tuna. I'll make like something with sardines. I'll make something I even like anchovies because I just do. So, I'll make something simple like that. And and what I do a lot of times is I won't want to deal with because I have a lot of frozen broth and things in my freezer.
(1:13:50) I don't do that. So I'll take uh put hot water on the stove. I'll turn it on. I'll take two packets. Whatever. >> Powdered bone broth. >> Powdered bone broth. I'll take two packets. I'll throw it in there. I'll mix it up. I'll throw if I have something else in there. If not, I'll just eat the can.
(1:14:05) I'll eat a can of what I have. I know I'm getting my protein. >> Yeah. So, we're talking a couple of dollars, very little time cuz people are watching programs like this and they're wondering if they need to do this biohack and I have to measure my heart rate variability and wear this monitor and wear this. You're talking about something that's $2 at the grocery store.
(1:14:24) You can get wild sardines anywhere. Anchovies practically no one wants and you're thinking protein, fat, and collagen. And you're doing that in minutes. You don't have to be a good cook. And >> and I love sweet potatoes, by the way, too. But I'm not but I'm not after traveling all day and stuff. I'm not going to go and make those.
(1:14:43) But I keep a pretty similar beat when it comes to carbs. I don't vary carbs much >> because I just don't I know it works for my body. >> Makes sense. >> I know it works for my body. So, and and if I work out, if I if it's a weight day, you know, and I used to start out doing like four days a week at weight training.
(1:15:00) I'm now down to two because I added Pilates. And I added Pilates because I noticed my posture was caving in. >> And so I said, "Okay, I got to I've got to take action." And plus, I think anyone mobility, you'd be surprised. You start doing these exercises that are limbic, you'll be surprised where your mobility is. And mobility is longevity.
(1:15:18) Like silly things like getting up from the floor, you know. >> Okay. So people are watching, listening, and they are in a state of call it unwellness. Okay? They're not maybe sick. They don't feel as good as they should. They don't look as good as they should. It's how you were even in your practice and bone broth was one of the triggers to get you over the hump.
(1:15:41) What is the one thing somebody can do today quickly, affordably, and efficiently to get on the journey to health? >> Uh, okay. I would say wake up in the morning. Soon as you're hit, this is very simple. Doesn't cost you anything. Soon as your feet hit the floor, I want you to say three things that you're grateful for. I know.
(1:16:02) I It drives me crazy when I hear stuff like that. Like, I feel so bad. What do you mean you're going to tell me? And I would get angry. Like, I feel so bad. Don't tell me that. Soon as your feet hit the floor, say three things that you're grateful because it's going to change your cellular makeup. >> Wow. >> Okay. You got to trust me on this.
(1:16:19) So, feet hit the girl. Uh, you know, however you go, dear God, thank you for my sons. Thank you for Thank you. Thank you. Thank you that people still care what I have to say. Thank you. whatever it is that you say. Then I go and I make sure that water is the first thing that hits my gut. >> Pure water. >> I squeeze a lemon in it.
(1:16:38) Sometimes I'll put, you know, some kind of uh if I want if I need some kind of electrolyte, but I think electrolytes are really, really important. I again, I get those in bone broth quite often. But if you want to just do something simple that's not going to cost you anything. After you eat, and Dr.
(1:16:54) Oz, we talk about this all the time. After you eat, walk. Do any kind of walking you can move after you eat. Get that digestive juices. Get those juices going because your greatest dump for insulin is your big your big muscles. So I am trying to help everyone understand the importance of blood sugar regulation because when I started visiting these nursing homes and I started seeing who was in there and I started asking questions and I said, "My god, they're all diabetic patients.
(1:17:26) " What? So many of them. So let's let's go back. So I want you to do everything you can to lock in sleep. I want you to wake up in the morning. And so you need a stimuli to remember. So the feet hit the floor, you get that stimuli. I'm grateful for this, this, and this. You get up, you have your water, squeeze lemon in it or not.
(1:17:45) Do whatever it is that you want to do. Squeeze water. After you have your first meal, do a little walking. Start there. >> That's beautiful. And several of those things are free. and they're pretty much guaranteed to work, especially gratitude. Uh people often ask, "What is God's will for my life?" And in Thessalonians, the Bible says, "Give thanks in all things, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
(1:18:11) " And that is so hard because you and I, we don't have time to talk about this on this program, but people might think, "Oh, you all have written books. You've started companies. You all have it made in the shade." But we've shared some of our challenges and some of our I'll call it heartache and times we've been betrayed, disappointed, and we just like everybody else need to put our two feet on the ground, thank God for what he's given us, and then we need to utilize what tools are available to make ourselves as healthy as we can be. Well,
(1:18:46) I am grateful for you and for what you've done to bring this message of health and hope to people and I uh pray a blessing over you, Dr. Kellyanne, that the rest of your life will be much more fruitful in every way in family, in health, and in your reach for people as an ambassador of hope or as I like to say, a hope dealer.
(1:19:09) So, thank you so much for joining me and I think it's going to bless so many people. >> Thank you. You're a blessing. Thank you. If you're looking to reduce inflammation and support your body's natural healing, start with your gut. Focus on nutrient-dense foods, bone broth included, targeted supplements, and daily habits that help restore the foundation of your health.
(1:19:31) For recommended foods, supplements, bone broth recipes, and additional resources to support your healing journey, click the link in the description. We've gathered everything you need to take the next step on your health journey. Remember, your body was designed to heal and thrive according to God's plan. I'll see you on the next episode of The Jordan Rubin Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment