Celebrities’ Skincare Brands Are A Bad Idea! ft. Shaily Mehrotra | CEO of Fixderma @SohaAliKhanP
Author Name:Soha Ali Khan
Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@SohaAliKhanP
Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHSptJx4fVE
Title: Celebrities’ Skincare Brands Are A Bad Idea! ft. Shaily Mehrotra | CEO of Fixderma @SohaAliKhanP
Author Name: Soha Ali Khan
Description: ALL ABOUT HER with Soha Ali Khan ft. Shaily Mehrotra | Skincare Trends, Brand Building & The Truth About Skin Health
Why is the skincare industry growing faster than ever, yet consumers feel more confused than informed?
In this episode of All About Her, we explore the evolving world of skincare, beauty trends, dermatology, and what it really takes to build a trusted brand in today’s digital-first world.
Joining the conversation is Shaily Mehrotra, Co-founder and CEO of Fixderma, a science-led, dermatologist-recommended skincare brand built on simplifying skincare through credible information and clinically backed solutions.
From celebrity skincare brands and social media influence to anti-ageing, DIY skincare, men’s skincare, fairness obsession, and viral beauty trends, this episode dives into how the industry has changed over the years and where it’s headed next.
The conversation also explores the business side of beauty: how consumer behaviour has evolved, how brands grow in today’s market, and what it takes to build trust and scale in the skincare industry in 2026.
At its core, this episode is about separating skincare facts from marketing noise and understanding what healthy skin truly means today.
This episode is supported by Fixderma — a science-backed skincare brand focused on making skincare simpler, more effective, and more accessible.
#AllAboutHer #SohaAliKhan #ShailyMehrotra #Fixderma #Skincare #BrandBuilding #BeautyIndustry #Dermatology #CelebrityBrands #AntiAgeing #SkinHealth #IndianSkincare #Podcast
📍 Whoppl Studios
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter Titles
0:00 – Upcoming
1:26 – Introduction
2:17 – Meet Shaily Mehrotra
2:52 – Why Skincare?
5:19 – When Did Fixderma Feel Real?
7:09 – What Nani-Dadi Skincare Missed
10:14 – Skincare Industry in 2026
13:02 – Celebrity Skincare Brands
17:11 – Do Brand Ambassadors Work?
20:34 – Men Need Skincare Too
22:01 – Social Media & Brand Growth
27:05 – How Skincare Changed Since 2010
29:22 – Sharmila Tagore’s Simple Routine
33:55 – India’s Fairness Obsession
39:00 – Skincare in Your 40s
43:27 – Biggest Founder Mistakes
46:11 – Ninna’s Question
51:07 – What Drives Shaily Today
52:02 – Is DIY Skincare Safe?
54:36 – Do Quick Fixes Work?
58:02 – The Truth About Anti-Ageing
1:02:14 – IV Wellness Drips Trend
1:04:23 – Taking an Indian Brand Global
1:09:48 – Fixderma’s Growth Phase
1:18:14 – One Skincare Myth to Break
1:18:57 – Outro
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Produced By: Soha Ali Khan
Production House: Any Content Experts Pvt Ltd
Creative Producer & Writer: Bhumika Jethwa
DOP: Anish Ajmera, Jimit Sondagar
Post-Producer & Editor: Yash Patel
✨ Follow Soha Ali Khan ⤵︎
Instagram: @sakpataudi
Twitter: @sakpataudi
Facebook: Soha Ali Khan
Transcript:
(00:02) Everyone keeps saying that you know I used to watch my mother, I used to watch my grandmother, they just used one tab or something and their skin looked [music] great. Is that true? I met some woman and she said I don't apply anything on my face. I said so you don't look like mother. I [laughter] don't know whatever your mom was doing was doing absolutely right.
(00:18) Why? I'll tell you. >> Because she watches this podcast. [laughter] >> Do men need a different kind of products or can they borrow their wives? >> Men definitely need skin care. Looking good is good. >> Looking good is good. Good should be embraced. >> Yes. The skincare industry tends to feed on insecurity [music] and sort of the care has gone out of skinare.
(00:36) Now they want the Korean glass skin. >> That's all filters. People think anything natural they can just gobble it, you know, eat it, apply it as much as you can. It's very scary. You cannot apply, you know, paste of cinnamon or clubs on your face and it it might burn you. And we have so many celebrities, right? If you see their past pictures and their present pictures, there's a huge difference in their skin complexions.
(00:56) But actually, it's the drips. People from our industry we smile you know when we see nasmide getting so much of popularity for 20 30 years they've always been there India has just started taking baby steps. >> Wow this I didn't actually realize that uh we're only scratching the surface when it comes to consumers of skinare. So you have kiti mira they are building skincare lines and businesses.
(01:16) Is that a bad idea? >> I don't think it's a very good idea also. [music] So India is one of the most complex skincare markets in the world. It's shaped by diverse climates, by pigmentation concerns, price sensitivity, and an incredibly strong digital influence. Today, skincare sits at the intersection of dermatology and consumer-driven trends.
(01:44) So while dermatology has traditionally been more clinical problem focused, modern skincare is heavily influenced by social media and marketing. Often leading I think to confusion, to an overuse of activives and a lack of clear guidance. The real challenge then is no longer access to products, but access to the right information.
(02:07) Consumers are now seeking to simplify their routines, rely on science-backed solutions, and move towards transparency and credible guidance over overwhelming choice. Our guest today, Shelley Marotra, is the co-founder and CEO of Fix Derma, a dermatologist recommended science-led skincare brand built to bridge the gap between clinical expertise and everyday skincare.
(02:31) With a presence in more than 30 countries, a network of 15,000 doctors and rapid growth in recent years, she represents what it takes to build a skincare brand rooted in both scale and substance. Hello and welcome to all about her and today we will be discussing the rise of skinincare in India. So thank you so much firstly for coming on the show.
(02:53) I think that we really need a voice in all of the noise to tell us what we should be doing for our skinincare. Um, in my introduction I spoke about how perhaps this industry has a lot going on now. >> Yes. >> You of course brought fixed derma uh to life in 2010. >> Yes. Yes. >> So was it as cluttered then as an industry? uh and if so why did you choose to do skincare or perhaps was it not so cluttered in 2010 and also the question is still valid in terms of why skincare so in 2010 of course it wasn't cluttered and um we could see the
(03:30) opportunity >> um and you know fixerma is a perfect union between pharmaceutical and skincare right >> so like we had cosmetics which were more superficial for topical application and mostly they were meant for fairness right And other side we have pharmaceutical which was meant on more for you know corrections and more on prescription bas.
(03:53) >> So if you had acne as a problem or if you had pigmentation as a problem it would address that and of course the packaging was very boring. >> Of course it was aluminium tubes very boring packaging very medical look. So it was a perfect union of both >> and it was very much there abroad in Southeast Asia especially um like of course Europe and US of course it was there but even Southeast Asia it was present which is called cosmaceutical or dermaceutical a perfect union between both and we saw there's a gap and we
(04:24) could bridge that gap so that was idea behind fixed derma >> and the name itself the intent is behind the name fixing your derm >> to fix your skin right >> so All the products are meant to fix your skin. And we started with 10 products back then. Yeah. >> Uh there were two sunscreens, a moisturizing lotion, a moisturizing cream, um a normal moisturizing cream for dry skin, some basic and a foot cream, a basic products which we still have in the portfolio.
(04:51) >> And now your portfolio has expanded to how many products? >> Uh around 150. >> And that's because people's skin types are so different, their needs are so varied. or is it just because now they want things that they don't even need. >> So there are many reasons behind it because we have many channels we sell through.
(05:09) We sell through dermatologists, we sell online, we sell through retail channel, we also export. So sometimes we have to keep that portfolio that comprehensive range of products. Right? >> So that's also one reason. >> My um first question actually is a broader question. Um I mean my first question after you said this was that there are lots of women now who are trying to build businesses.
(05:28) >> Yes. And before we get into a deeper conversation about skinare, you had an idea in 2010 which you saw had legs to become a business. >> Yes. >> What about some women who are looking to build a business? Uh how do they realize that it's just an idea or that it has legs to become a business? Would you have some advice for them? >> How do you know when you have something a real business? >> See, I'll go back a bit in the past.
(05:52) So when we thought of fixed drama it was like you know building a proper business that >> who's we you keep saying >> me and my husband I see right and he came in the picture later because when we started it was a very small company >> um >> so the idea was to build a proper business because we had business in Southeast Asia >> and we wanted to you know divide our eggs in two baskets so we were building a business uh the idea was never to sell or to get acquired or you know sell some steaks in the it wasn't there then of
(06:23) course I shouldn't say that >> uh if the opportunity was there then we should have also done the same thing but the opportunity was not there then uh so the idea was to build a proper business take some money home >> and you know to scale and to establish a brand >> um but cut to if you see now I don't think it's an easy thing to do because that time the clutter the chaos the confusion was much less >> right >> and right now I I think roughly around there are 22,000 uh companies in beauty category on Amazon alone
(06:58) >> I can imagine >> right they are which actually covers uh even oil hair oil and all kind of products but it's a crazy number it's a crazy number >> so at that point you said you saw an opportunity and I think you touched on that in terms of that gap between dermatology and skinare >> and cosmetics >> and cosmetics that you wanted to fill Um, I feel like, you know, going back to 2010, going back even prior to that, a lot of us, we've had three conversations now on skincare on this podcast, it's obviously something that people are
(07:31) interested in, but everyone keeps saying that, you know, I used to watch my mother, I used to watch my grandmother, my nani, they just used one da or something >> and their skin looked great. H >> um and I wanted to ask you uh as an expert in this in the industry, is that true that people just managed to was it because of a lack of pollution? Was it because of lifestyle that was simpler then? Or are we just overusing things and therefore actually hurting our skin barrier >> barrier? So what is it that people may do with
(08:04) just one or two products or it actually they would have benefited from having more products? So I feel like if it would of course be very unpopular to criticize our grandmothers but do you think they would have benefited from some more education or awareness? >> 100%. I think the awareness was not there, the knowledge was not there and there was no means to you know get that knowledge also.
(08:29) So um in fact I remember in one of the podcasts I said some uh I met some woman and she said I don't apply anything on my face and I said so you don't look like Madurik you know I mean that was rude right but you know people um think that you know skin care is vanity it's not it's just taking care of your skin yes >> it's skin health right >> and earlier people you were applying dii ghee you know some coconut oil it's not they were not applying anything they were applying so it were more DIYs they were trying you know the hacks home
(09:01) hacks >> so they were doing >> right >> and uh if you see now a 50 year old or a 40-y old woman they look much younger and if you go to a village and compare >> yes >> uh you know a person who stays in Bombay Delhi or Bangalore uh same age >> they look years apart >> right >> right a person who stays in Bombay or Delhi they look much younger than a 40 year old who staying in a village because of the sun damage, they don't apply anything, they don't moisturize, they don't eat well.
(09:32) >> Yeah. So, the nutrition now there's awareness in cities about eating the right food. Of course, people understand sun is a >> a big no no. Uh my confusion is though that a lot of people say early morning sun is also good vitamin D, but should we avoid the sun entirely and cover ourselves up and just take a supplement? >> No, I think yes, you are right.
(09:54) Early morning sun is actually good. You can take one round of the park. Yeah, that's it. >> What park? >> Like whatever. >> Bandra. [laughter] >> Yeah. Wherever you can walk and get that mild sun because early morning sun is milder. That's the reason you know once it's 12 it gets much harsher. So that's the reason. >> Yes.
(10:12) >> Yeah. Okay. Um I wanted to ask um when it comes to again skincare now we're looking at 2026. >> Um do you look at filling a gap where there you do you need to create a demand for certain products? I feel like when it comes to marketing to a glamour industry, at the end of the day, sometimes people not not even aware of what they want or need, they just see something and they want it because it's been well packaged, it's beautiful, or they feel like so and so is using it, somebody's endorsing it in an advertisement and they feel I want it.
(10:43) Uh, and that's creating a demand. Or, uh, is it harder to fill a need? I'm asking you from a from the point of view of a business. So when you're building a brand >> filling the niche part I think you need to have very deep pockets >> because that only can be done by the big size companies which I mean they can create awareness right they can do a lot of medium ads like you know holdings television OTT performance marketing they can create that market >> yes >> but uh for a smaller size company it's very difficult
(11:13) >> to create a need they can follow they can be followers not leaders they can't create a brand or a niche it's not that easy for them. >> So in terms of your strategy when you started or even now when you look at actually getting your products off the shelves what uh do you find works for you best? See if I have to start business now example right in 2026 of skincare um many people ask me this one I won't start >> right two because the market is already too crowded and two if I have to I think there is definitely an area where I you
(11:46) can pick up a niche >> yes >> like you know you can build skin care just for 40 plus people or women 50 plus or for aging people or for dryness issues eczeis is something just pick up an area and build the product there around it because India is a huge market you know any >> any area you pick up it's a crazy big market >> yeah so I feel like it's very similar to podcasting in that way because everyone is becoming a podcaster and they say if you don't know your audience >> and you just come with something generic
(12:19) why will people watch you or why will people use you unless you're solving a problem unless you're addressing a particular niche concern >> so it's it's it's similar Yeah, even in podcast like you know if I have to understand how to increase your followers on Instagram or how to increase your followers on YouTube, you will start you know watching only those uh channels right where you can get that knowledge.
(12:41) So something you know where you can actually become an expert you can focus you can understand the market and slowly you can grow it because see whenever you think of a uh a company who is like you know has a best products or a best formulation for let's eczema right and you think about that company only then >> yes >> because if you're doing anything to everything I think it'll get lost right now >> but it's interesting to say that now uh you wouldn't enter the industry now because perhaps there's a lot of people doing it >> there are Although a lot of people who
(13:10) seem to be entering the industry a lot of them are from my fraternity as well. Um so you have Deepipika uh you have Kiti you have um Mera they are building skincare lines and businesses. Is that a bad idea? >> I don't think it's a very good idea also. You know the brand is associated with their name. It might sell.
(13:30) It won't happen now. >> That's what I'm asking because >> it won't happen. The customer is very different right now. The customer 15 years back was very different. They were really attracted by celebs and their faces. But right now they are looking you know at the back of the bottle. They want to understand the formulation, the ingredients, how it's going to work on your skin.
(13:50) The awareness is is on different level. >> But do you think that awareness might exist for places like Mumbai or Delhi? Yes. >> Do you think that awareness exists overall? Because there is still a huge attraction. Um I feel like it might be an incentive to see someone that you take as a role model, someone you also trust.
(14:08) It's not just that these people are ro that they're beautiful. There's now a sense of trust and authenticity and transparency um to some extent where people feel like okay perhaps these people are actually using these products. You see them using them on the Instagram reels now and perhaps this is something that if I use I might be able to look a little bit like them.
(14:28) >> No, I think that would work in tier 2 cities or tier three cities where they aspire to look like you or to any of the celebs, right? But in tier one cities Bombay and Delhi they actually they want the product to perform. Right. >> Right. And uh let's take example of Mera. They know it's her brand. Yes. >> That's why she's endorsing it.
(14:48) That's why she's promoting it. They will not buy because >> it's her brand. They will buy because the performance is good. I'm talking about only tier one city where the awareness is on a different level right now. Sure. There's so much information out there. >> Yeah. >> So much information. >> Too much information.
(15:03) Too much information. So that information contradicts >> that information. So some people are like I don't know whether vitamin C is good for me or not. Is it burning my skin or is it brightening my skin? Um I feel that celebrities I do feel that they have this impact on people. I wanted to ask you because um I understand now there's education and people don't just get something because somebody is selling it.
(15:25) Even now if I post something that is um promoted on my page, people know um and they like things that are organic um it's very hard to tell now what is organic and [laughter] what is not also because all the marketing departments also say okay okay smart yeah smarter do you feel that it is beneficial to brands to have brand >> see um I'll tell you how it was beneficial because we were always a dermatology brand when we step out of it uh you know not exactly step out We wanted to you know grow the business and uh you know started reaching out to
(15:58) retail channels. We needed a face because still you know in uh smaller cities or like let's say tier two cities people really like to see a face. >> Yes. Even on this podcast they like to see a face. >> Yeah. Because they want you know they aspire to look like them. Yes. >> So it works.
(16:15) Is that true more of India it is of other markets? Because now fixed term has gone into 30 countries. See our faces won't work there unless >> No, but I'm saying that do faces, known faces, popular faces as a marketing strategy work more in India than they do because when I went to England for example um when you put on the television there you have ordinary people selling products that anybody can use.
(16:36) >> Um so is it >> are we more celebrity obsessed in England? >> Yes, I think we are. >> Okay. >> Yeah. Not and we shouldn't. >> No, but even in US it's there. I have not been I haven't been in England. Yeah, US is there people are you know associated especially with makeup brands it's if you see Kylie Jenner and all those there's so many of them right so it it does actually it makes a lot of difference okay >> it was coming from them >> but you know how they promote it how do they market it >> they really do it in a very professional
(17:07) way >> yes >> uh so I think that's why they are successful >> when it comes to brand ambassadors so but you've you've chosen some interesting faces across not just film you have sports um and you have different ages also as your practice. So that is just it's an inclusive strategy. You have men, you have burani, you have n chopra.
(17:27) >> So I'll tell you why we chose babani. We had a very interesting product which of course is doing extremely well for us. Uh it's called nigrifix. So it was for an ailment called ngricanthosis which is darkness on your neck, nape area, elbows, knees um you know knuckles and it's it's always been there and people were not aware about it.
(17:51) So we launched a product we really researched worked very hard on it and we launched but we were really wondering whether it's going to work in India or not because people are still thinking about the face all the time. >> True. >> Right. uh people are not even spending on face. So how why there will be spending you know on these areas >> but then uh we thought Babani would be a perfect fit because he has that credibility and the movies he had come you know three idiots so and he did a fantastic job >> uh with the product we did some TV ads
(18:21) and we were able to establish the product in the market >> and we were the first companies to launch a product for nigrian echenthosis I remember my team was like ma'am nobody is able to pronounce it and why you want to launch a product for this. I am I'm sure it's not going to sell >> but it took off really well and uh it's still doing extremely well.
(18:42) >> Absolutely. No, I think number one the fact that it is a it is a situation a problem that exists >> and when people know there's a solution for it and then of course that trust and credibility is so important which you >> and you know there was again a misunderstanding about it that people think whenever you see you know a dark elbow or a dark neck or a dark knees you think maybe he's not you know showering properly or he's not rubbing scrubbing properly or maybe he ignored that area for a long time that's why it's become
(19:08) dark actually is underlying medical condition >> I see >> and it can be cured >> so a good product it's a very mix good mix of ura retinol and AHABHS and we got a patent on it >> right so I think this is that important gap that can be fixed where you're identifying something that can be easily treatable for somebody that education again then has to come in >> but then you know if you have to launch a product for this kind of you know this area or for a certain medical condition then you need to have a knowhow >> yeah and you have to spend that money to
(19:39) also create to educate people >> yes you cannot say my mom had this problem or I saw it somewhere I got inspired that it's not going to work like that you need to have very good knowledge and you need to back it by you know proper evidence research paperwork a lot of work has to go into it because when you are you know focusing on a certain area >> right >> so that was one uh Babalani was very good choice for us.
(20:05) Then we took NRA Chopra for a very short time uh >> when he was a gold. >> Yes. Yes. Yes. And um very very sweet person, very sweet personality, very simple man. >> He keeps smiling all the time really >> you know even if you tell him that you know it's a serious product you have to [laughter] so >> so yeah so that was for a short period.
(20:25) >> Okay. >> And we had Vani Kapoor. So I told you like uh she endorsed our sunscreen >> and we did a very good um made a very good TV ad for her. >> Do men need a different kind of um line of products or can they borrow their wives? >> They can actually but men definitely need skin care because they exfoliate their skin every single day by shaving.
(20:46) >> So they need to moisturize it really and just see I remember I was doing a podcast with Shallini Pasi and she said something very interesting. She said if you are 23 24 you are like within 30 and you are claiming to boasting about your skin right you shouldn't. She was like you shouldn't >> you're young. >> Yeah you're young.
(21:08) You you should have very good skin. What's the big deal about it? >> That's true. >> She said it's it's me. If I boast about my skin then I have done something good with my skin. >> So that was actually a very good takeaway. >> That's true. >> Right. And see let's not look at young boys about look at men in India. They have those dark patches on their forehead, on the side cheeks and they can take care of it.
(21:30) If you look at their hand, it's absolutely fine. >> Yeah. >> Right. So they have actually pigmented skin and the pigment becomes so deep and dark, it looks like patchy skin. >> Yes. >> So that can be again fixed. >> Right. But I'm that I'm glad to see now that there is an interest in developing cosmetics for men, skin care for men and that men are taking care of themselves because we should, you know, we should look good for each other. Yes.
(21:53) >> The ownership of being beautiful should not is good. >> Looking good is good. Looking good should be embraced. >> Yes. >> Yeah. It's not a bad thing at all. What about the uh social media component? I feel like the consumer is savvy now also because there is a lot of information that is out there but information is also misinformation and your take on social media whether it's been helpful in your journey or whether it's been something that you've had to combat.
(22:16) See in the beginning when we started the journey dermatologists were not happy with us using influencers as you know promoting our products. They were really unhappy about it. >> But anybody can be an influencer, >> right? And we use in the beginning certain dermatologists also uh free of charge or because for both of us it was new >> right >> very new and we asked certain doctors who were good friends why don't you promote our products and they said fine >> and then they saw there was a crazy spark you know and they were also happy
(22:46) about it. uh they are not happy but you know what I feel it's fine using influencers because uh it has been happening for a very long time. >> I I remember when I was doing my MBA how they were using influencers in colleges you know college uh those uh kids who are you know chosen as college presidents and very good-looking kids were given certain products to use at a certain period of time.
(23:14) I was reading about Vespa >> uh the scooter. So how Italy actually when it was launched long back it was in our course how they gave it to certain you know influencing people who are really good-looking handsome boys in in college so that they can you know they can ride it with their girlfriends just to you know make an impression on others.
(23:37) So the influences have been used in different forms and ways right and right now people and boys they can relate to them they are just like a next door girl >> right >> so that's why I think they're getting so popular >> right >> it's helping yeah the argument is only that it then equates to popularity how many followers you have and you can amass followers by just maybe not just doing correct or um responsible things uh you become popular all sorts of problem comes because once they don't have any knowledge majority of them >> yeah and then if it's a if it's a a
(24:12) collaboration and sometimes there's a money exchange then the again because of the lack of transparency the person who's a consumer doesn't know but I think the onus is also on consumers >> to know who you're following and whether they are a doctor or not what they're selling little bit we have to I think take responsibility >> yes I agree on that so that's why you know when we communicate with influencers we Tell them that you should tell how it has actually affected your skin. You have been applying it and you
(24:40) have seen a change. Don't give advice to people that you should apply. >> Uh don't be a like a doctor. You know, you you don't have any doctor. Yeah. You're not a doctor. >> And now people are I think um uh you know whenever you post something and you say okay I'm not a doctor but this is just my experience and you must consult a professional before you do this.
(24:58) People like that. People trust that and I think trust is very important. Uh do you look at trends though on social media when you're deciding to launch a product? If something is popular for example, then does that affect something that you might produce at all? Are you sensitive to those trends? >> Not really.
(25:18) Not really. I think again if you really focus on certain areas, I just said that you need certain a product you know a regimen >> a regimen to follow and um that's it. You know we actually um people from our industry we smile you know when we see nyinamide going getting so much of popularity salicylic acid they have been there for 20 30 years they've always been there but no one was talking about it >> but they were in these boring >> yes yes the way communicative packaging >> yes >> so there are lot of problems with influencers sometimes you know right now
(25:50) like they're talking about not using sunscreen >> India has just you know started taking baby steps right towards skincare care and if you are scaring them they will just you know retreat right >> so don't scare them let them try experiment start at least >> if you see uh you'll be very surprised you know Nepal you must be think it's a very poor country our neighbor right they have if you go ratio wise they use more skin care than us they spend more money than us >> and why is that >> they're more awareness >> so I'm saying how how why
(26:25) >> they are more conscious about their looks Northeast is so conscious about their looks. >> But we also conscious about our looks in in >> not so much. India is not Bombay and Delhi and Hyderabad and Bangalore. So I always talk about India is like Bharat and India, >> right? Bharat is still >> is still you know like taking >> No. Yeah.
(26:47) I mean I that I think all of India is not in the same in the 21st century. Not all of India's at all. We can't assume. They say whatever is true of India, the opposite is also true of India. >> Yes. Yes. Um >> the percentage is very very small which is actually very aware and all the brands are fighting for them >> right >> so that percentage is very very small.
(27:05) >> What do you think are the biggest changes that you might have seen since 2010 to now in the skincare industry? >> I think the entire marketing dynamics have changed >> really >> since 2010 and 2026. Now I think the changes are happening on I'll say monthly basis. M >> you know earlier it was like 3 4 years you'll see a change you bring a new product in the market it'll take 2 years people used to research for one year then next year it was a market test before launching the product and that market test used to happen for at least
(27:38) one year or 6 months and then the mark proper product was launched right >> now it's entirely changed the product is launched I think within a week or two weeks because it's such so fast right now >> but this test still have to be done I'm not sure who's doing the testing right how they are bringing the products out but uh it's too fast >> I'm saying for the cosmetic industry skincare industry um when you have like you said you know I know neutrauticals and I know um stuff that you get at a chemist for example um something
(28:10) requires a particular certification so does it exist in the skinare industry between dermatology and cosmetic I'm assuming that dermatical dermatological products will require a standard that perhaps the other ones don't have to aspire to and that's why it can be sometimes confusing or even um you have to be wary of the products that you're using.
(28:32) >> See in uh it's diminishing right now. So when we launched fixed derma in 2010 um so we had you know I'll say there were pros and cons of course the competition was not there. We were very happy very profitable the market was very small but the awareness was very poor. People were using sunscreen like you know example a doctor has prescribed a sunscreen to you.
(28:55) you will use it for some time and where the tube is like you know somewhere lying somewhere right you won't use it you didn't understand the importance of a sunscreen >> but now cut to 2026 um awareness is on a different level right but then there is so much of competition there's so many products you type sunscreen on Amazon and you have 200 400 500 sunscreens right and which one to buy right >> it's such a big question for everyone >> and that's what I'm saying is there's no standard that they all have to meet no >> so with again so many products people as
(29:24) I said in the beginning uh people are layering a bunch of things they want to achieve Korean glass skin um they don't know how to do it so they're trying everything and one podcast we had actually we spoke about how using so many activives actually damages the skin barrier and then it presents maybe 10 years down the line is pigmentation which is apparently on the rise in India >> yes >> people should I think I'm looking certainly in my 40s now for a simpler routine something that I can sustain something where I'm not overwhelmed
(29:54) something where it's not taking me half an hour in the bathroom. Um, and my husband has gone to sleep waiting for me and he's like, "You take so long in the bathroom." So now I want it to be done in maybe I don't know 7 minutes. >> That's good enough. >> Is that's good enough? So what I what should I be doing in my 40s? What are the mistakes that people were making in their 20s? And for example, if I go back to my mother's time and she >> of course put her skin through a lot.
(30:20) uh you know now we were sitting and she was saying my eyes are dry um perhaps it's also because they use so much glycerine >> to build up those tears and they would do it again and again and again she said I use so much glycerine um my eyes are dry for various reasons also today uh that are age related but I'm sure that there were things that we did to our skin because we didn't have awareness or education then I don't remember I saw her I would wake up um I would watch her getting ready to go to work I don't remember ever using sunscreen um I
(30:48) remember there wore heavier makeup then. >> Yes. >> And I think there was a sense like that pancake makeup that they wore and you you might know the words for it. >> There was a sense that this is protecting me from the sun perhaps >> this layer which may or may not be true. Uh and then the taking off makeup routine was simple.
(31:06) There was a tub of something pink or white >> um and there was and there was an imollient and then it would they would take it off and that was it. >> So I'll go one by one. One, whatever your mom was doing was doing absolutely right. >> Okay. So why why I'll tell you >> because you watch this podcast. [laughter] >> No, why I'll tell you because foundation actually uh those pancake type of you know layers which which they used to put earlier you know in their in ' 60s and '7s right it was good.
(31:34) [snorts] >> So uh because if you see uh what is the base of foundation it's full as earth >> right? >> Right. And if you go to Myanmar, they apply those you know those two they make two circles here because that's where you get pigmentation. >> Yes. >> Uh because of sun. Right. They make two circles here and even everyone is like you know you'll go in office and you'll be very surprised people are wearing it.
(31:58) Right. >> Right. Uh male female both >> really >> there. So that's awareness. Right. >> So that pancake actually was you know protecting her from harsh sun >> and lights. >> Right. Because I always tell people that that's also a myth in India that makeup is bad. Actually makeup makes a layer on your face.
(32:17) Actually it protects you from sun again. Interesting. >> So foundation is good. I mean that layer was actually protecting her from those lights. And >> now of course we want to be realistic and we want to show you know like the small imperfections in our skin. We're shooting in HD so that makeup is visible. >> It's very clear now. >> We were using very clear.
(32:33) It takes 2 hours to achieve that new makeup look and I don't know what goes behind it but >> and then imollient you mentioned right and that's perfect because right now we are using that you know face oils >> right cleansing balms they are just a different fancy name it's the same thing >> right >> right you >> rub the oil on your face or the balm and just to you know mix everything and then you wash it off and of course you have to use use a cleanser and they were using a cleanser it could be in a form of soap yeah >> right so they were doing actually the
(33:01) right steps they were following doing >> right. >> So I think that's why her skin looks still looks so good. >> Right. >> Right. >> Okay. [laughter] Sure. Um some challenges that she faces >> things like pigmentation. >> Um I don't know whether whether if she'd use sunscreen whether it's hormonal related also whether things that we can do to combat the hormonal changes that we face.
(33:26) I for example will be facing declining estrogen very soon. Um that will have an impact on my skin. And I can already feel my skin drying out, >> my skin all over my body becoming more reactive, more sensitive. Um, I had rosacea when I was in college. >> I used a bunch of things without consulting anyone. I think I burnt a layer off my skin also and then I went to a dermatologist and um, retinol was given at that point. Um, is retinoid.
(33:50) Um, so there are times so that was a problem. So I went to a doctor at that point and but I'm seeing now people just want glowing skin. They want clear skin. They want an even tone. If if we move the narrative a little bit away and I will ask you uh the obsession about fair skin. >> Mhm. >> Now the narrative when it comes to marketing at least seems to have shifted.
(34:14) People are being more responsible. There's an understanding that healthy skin is what we want. We want an even skin tone. I don't know if that's the truth is in all of India again if you go beyond the tier one cities whether that truth still exists or people are still chasing the gory skin number one uh and then >> shall I go on the aging part and then the gora part yeah because you asked me about aging first >> let's go on the gora part first um we can go chronologically so the gora part first the question is that >> so the obsession with fairness I feel it
(34:47) would be wrong to say it has disappeared >> no no of course It's not it's very much there. >> So as a brand uh that sells skin and healthy skin where do you draw the line between giving people what they want and educating them as to what is actually desirable or what should be desirable which is a healthy skin barrier.
(35:07) So do you draw that line somewhere and how do you how do you deal with that? So one we don't have any product which actually promotes fairness because I always tell people have a healthy skin you know uh even if you're very fair for example and your face is full of acne and pigmentation or uneven skin tone it won't look good right >> so complexion is not something you should chase you cannot it will come back >> right >> it will come back if you have you know reduced your skin tone to a certain you know two three shades down it it's going
(35:35) to come back because your skin h your body actually you uh releases melanin >> and the [clears throat] dose is you know fixed by the creator right [laughter] so even if you do whatever you can it's going to come back because the dose would be the same and the melanin creation would come back and your skin tone would be back to square one >> I don't think people know this I don't think a lot of people still know this I think that they do use products uh they think that they can perhaps achieve a lighter skin tone uh people
(36:05) >> they will but it's temporary >> the fact that that natural skin pigment will come back. >> It will come back. Definitely it's going to come back and it's very sad to know that we have so many brands and they have very funny names you know like gori sundi and all those names funny names and they do well they do extremely well they are sold over the counter and chemist promote them a lot and you'll be like you know surprised to know the people who can't afford uh many things but they can afford that tube >> right
(36:35) >> and it's not that cheap also it's like 200 250 rupees >> so that is how much the desire is >> yes and it has It's full of steroids. The sad part is full of steroids. And once you start applying it, within a week you will see a shade, two shades, three shades up >> and you can see a difference of you know face and neck because sadly they don't even understand to apply it on the neck also.
(36:56) >> So and then it reverse >> it reverses after some time and it does irreversible damage to your skin. So we have so many people on our customer care who keep calling us sending us pictures and they even reach out of course doctors much later once the damage is done but it's irreversible in 98% cases only 2% it can be reversed >> so when people reach out to you what can you suggest to them or what can you >> it's very difficult actually because they have damaged their skin so how it looks like I'll tell you once it's
(37:26) damaged it's very dark they have dark patches and it's full of acne u whatever age they are >> why do they act >> it actually it's breakout because your skin is so stressed uh it just snaps you know >> right >> so uh and it's very sad especially it's happening in tier three cities a lot and especially with the lower working class >> yes >> uh they are so obsessed to you know look like somebody or to be no feral >> so how do we push that narrative towards healthier skin understanding the function of what your this organ our
(38:00) largest organ is the fact that these things are anyway counterproductive um that they make false promises that they have things that are harmful for you. How do you um educate people and sell the products that will actually create an even skin tone for example or a healthy sort of glow. See even um just going back to the question even government is taking a lot of actions you know they actually ban these products they come back because there's so much of demand they sell like hot cakes you know >> through chemists uh what we are doing
(38:35) you asked right >> uh we don't have any product like that >> I keep telling in each and every podcast through our different communication mediums that just focus on healthy skin use a simple skincare routine and just adopt some kind kind of skincare routine like you know you brush every day, you bathe every day, >> uh you eat good food, why not you know eat do something for your skin.
(38:58) It takes only 5 to 10 minutes. >> Okay, talk me through the 5 to 10 minutes. For me, for example, I >> uh want healthy skin. I feel like it's increasingly challenging because I don't know the things that I can fight >> and the things that I can't fight. Gravity I can't fight. I don't think unless one goes under the knife.
(39:18) >> No, >> correct me. We'll talk about it that under the knife is not going to help you also for a long time because you look like a vampire you know after a point >> really >> I mean how much >> I don't know some people look quite nice and they look quite youthful and you know maybe they're going I don't >> maybe after a certain age you cannot fight >> right so I want I feel like but there's certain things that you can do like I'm saying that instead of just saying okay um I'm not saying that fight uh aging I'm not saying that
(39:46) >> it's not a disease >> it's exactly embrace aging we've talked about pro-aging, but we can also >> look good. >> Look good. And that should, as you said, it's not conceited. It's not arrogant. It's what we owe ourselves, I think. Um, and now women are out there, we're earning money, we're going to work, we should be allowed to spend money on the things that we enjoy spending money on as well. It's our disposable income.
(40:06) And if we want to spend that on >> looking good, which does in some way also translate to feeling good um then and I think that the main thing hair and skin >> where we don't want to have to hide behind makeup sometimes we want to have no makeup and still have that healthy glow. So what can I do in my 40s for example? There are some people who are watching this who are in their 20s and 30s as well.
(40:29) Uh so we can talk to them as well but because I have you with me now what can I do? So once you're out of shower, >> Yeah. >> Yeah. Let's go back there. Once you are out of shower, apply a good moisturizing lotion, body lotion on your entire body. If you have very dry skin, >> Yes. >> Uh especially, you know, after 40s, per menopause, menopause, your skin starts getting dry and you're very surprised that you know we >> all your life you had acne and you had very oily skin.
(40:56) But now what a s it's a sudden change, right? >> Uh skin is very dry. >> Um >> and you get adult acne as well when your skin gets very dry. Yes. So adult acne we'll come back to it otherwise we so out of shower >> and and that moisturizer can be when your skin is still a little wet so it can lock in the moisture. >> Yes.
(41:15) Yes. So before you towel dry >> see I know a few things. >> Yeah. Before you tile dry you just apply body lotion. It takes keep a timer if you don't believe me it takes only two to three minutes maybe 3 minutes I think maximum. Right. How fast you're moving of course. And then uh cleanse >> a good face cleanser. a good face moisturizer and then a sunscreen on the top. That's very minimal.
(41:39) And if you are going to office or you're working, a thin layer of foundation is not going to do any harm. >> I'm here promoting makeup companies but because we we don't sell makeup but it's not going to do any harm. That's also a myth that you know too much of makeup, too much of foundation. Oh no, this not going to do any harm.
(41:57) >> But make sure of course you take it off properly at night. >> Yes. Yes. So a thin layer of foundation, a bit of uh blush, you look nice. >> Uh it won't harm your skin. And those are basic basic which you can do. >> And at night a similar regimen or >> no in again you have to reapply your sunscreen if you can.
(42:16) And no at night I'm saying before >> at night again a cleanser if you have makeup you have to double cleanse. You can use an oil and because you have to, you know, use an emollient you said like she was using back then >> for your mascara and for your eye makeup >> and a cleanser and again a moisturizer and a serum to seal it, >> right? >> So again, >> but what about the um hyaluronic acid and what about the retinols and what about all the >> Yeah, that serum can be one of the retinols when it could be hyaluronic because after 40s like you need a very
(42:46) good hydration. So good hyaluronic acid serum. For me, I I should look for a serum that has >> and a retinol. >> See, retinol wrinkles in the lines. >> Yeah, retinol I think it doesn't suit everyone and especially if you keep using it for like 7 days, you will see your skin starts getting sensitive. Right. Red.
(43:05) >> Yeah. Red also. So, you can do it like you know >> uh once in a while. Not once in a while. Uh >> alternate days. >> Alternate days. Yes. Alternate days. Okay. >> And I for me like retinol I don't it doesn't suit me. So I use like twice in a week. That's it. >> But I'm saying even so you should use it but you should use it twice a week and in your 40s.
(43:25) >> Yes. Yes. >> Okay. >> So you know as a brand or as a company you have to try so many things and it's very easy for anyone to judge you know sitting across like why you did this why you shouldn't have done that. >> But you keep trying so many things because you're not sure what's going to work and see the situation right now.
(43:45) uh just think as a founder or think as a brand owner what to do >> OTT is there there is a separate TT who watches OTT you know as a founder how to promote your brand it's not that easy you have right now just look at the choices you have OTT right a different TG u genz or millennials then you have um u TV >> yes >> right HSM or normal TV >> again a very expensive medium which is the tier two, tier three people who are watching then you have news channels.
(44:17) >> Yes. >> So India news channels are like entertainment channels and >> they are not Yeah. then IPL. >> So this is one area and then of you come to digital, you have performance marketing, you have meta ads, then you have to ATL, BTL activities, you have holdings, you have billboards, you have posters, you have >> I feel like you're deterring anyone from entering the skin industry.
(44:39) Now >> I'm just talking about the entire BPC uh you know category. So it's very difficult for us to decide what we should do, what we shouldn't do, what worked for us, what didn't work for us and what is right or what is wrong. >> But I'm obviously it'll be a learning process and you have to have the resilience and the funds to take you through the highs and the lows.
(45:00) What has been for example the biggest learning for you? Something that you would not do again or something you felt like this didn't work out. >> So many things you know in uh in in my because my journey was long like you know 15 years. So many mistakes launching wrong products, launching it too early. The market is not ready.
(45:20) >> What was the market not ready for? >> So we launched a product range for teenagers >> in 2016 17 I think. Yes. And I think it was too early to launch something for teenagers because normal people normal age people were not using anything. So how do you expect a teenager to use and of course uh online wasn't there.
(45:40) So you have to take permission from mom. >> Right. right? How will you buy? Where the money would come from? Right now you're buying, kids are buying from blanket or you know all these Yeah. Quickcommerce, anything they want. And they have access to at least 500 rupees to,000 rupees. >> Even if you talk about tier 2, tier three cities, >> but uh back then uh it that was not the case.
(46:02) You have to ask your your mom was a decision maker for your skin, >> right? As as as she should be [laughter] >> I feel until you reach a certain age maybe 16 18. >> Yes. Yes. >> Or older than that. Like I have a friend Niranja. She asks a question on every podcast that we do and it tends to be a sort of provocative one and she her question for today was just that the skincare industry tends to feed on insecurity and sort of the care has gone out of skincare and right now you have people who are anxious they either want to be more fair now they want the Korean
(46:29) glass skin >> uh and it's being promised to them lots of people are making promises whether they're unrealistic goals like you told us a little bit about how a lot of brands at scale sell fairness are selling them on the basis of damaging false promises. So the your skin people have forgotten what it is that it's an organ that you should respect it that the primary um purpose of it is to act as a barrier.
(46:54) So what are some of the other unrealistic um I suppose standards that the beauty industry and perhaps we as actors, films, advertisers are perhaps guilty of perpetuating that standard. Um what are some of the other unrealistic standards? So first let's talk about K beauty. Yeah, >> they have done a fantastic job to be very honest as a brand you know let me go back to 2010.
(47:20) I remember how Kotra is Korean organization for trade >> right. >> Uh so they used to reach out to different distributors in India back then I'm talking about to you know represent their brands in India. So they were so active >> they really you know the the it's a whole you know what do you call um the system you know yes >> they help you to promote. Yes.
(47:39) So it's not like India you know if you have to sell Indian skincare abroad there's no help from anywhere they they have K-pop they have K beauty they have K food they have K drama >> so they understand soft power >> and they and they are penetrating the market in a very softer way and you are just not understanding but slowly you know it's everywhere >> but I feel like perhaps we're getting there you know we're talking about yoga we're talking about Ayurveda we're talking about and we're taking it yes >> um abroad especially when it comes to
(48:06) skinare um I But you won't get glass skin. No way. >> Yeah. So tell me about the unrealistic. >> Yeah. >> Glass skin is no way. One that's all filters which they show it on uh you know on different um on Insta and all that. Those are filters that you know glossy uh skin. It's just impossible, right? And I remember in one party I met this female and she said, you know, a friend of mine, she went to Korea, Soul and uh she's now looking 5 years younger uh and she spent just uh I think three or four lakh rupees. I said if this is
(48:41) the case and I think the whole whole Bollywood would be like flying every day to Korea. >> Right. >> Right. Because everyone is so obsessed to look young. We all want to look young >> and five years is a good number. >> Yes. So that was funny. So [gasps] >> I think we are very obsessed with Korean glass skin and the way Korean looks.
(48:59) In fact, I said why are you looking at their skin? Why don't you look at their body? >> Right? So if you have to if you want to achieve that skin, you should also achieve their body, >> right? >> So one is genetics, >> right? >> Their genes are like that. And it's not Korea. If you go to Vietnam, you go to, you know, all Chinese, the Mongolian uh people, right? the Mongolian blood right >> it's they all have amazing skin right >> and it's in Malaysia the Chinese descent it's in Thailand it's Vietram I just said Indonesia if you go so whoever has
(49:32) come from that this is genes >> again the food the climate it's cold and dry in Korea so a lot of things which actually you cannot achieve that it's not possible and topical application some creams and emulsions and ointments won't give you that skin >> do we have um as Indians any kind of uh thing that we can be proud of or is and say that oh you know this is our strength like I feel my mother's skin is great and she said oh it's my Bengali jeans >> of we have very good skin >> but we're also very diverse no as a
(50:01) climate >> very diverse >> regional specific >> the best part is we tan we don't burn >> so we have thick skin >> thick skin in all the ways right so we are strong people >> so we have thick skin which is good right uh we don't we don't burn we tan so that's why we have very less skin cancer in India it's hardly you know hardly any number if you compare with our ratio of population right >> so it's because uh and again you know it's it's it's hilarious but you know pollution >> you know actually it protects the UVA
(50:32) and UVB to pass through >> that's true [laughter] so that protects us >> right like if you go to Australia there's a hole in the ozone layer and people are burning and being more susceptible to skin cancer but I mean um pollution I suppose serves a certain uh but I think we all have a habit to chase something which we cannot achieve.
(50:51) We all want to look much younger. We want to go back to our 30s. I think that's very human to think like that. So achieving Korean glass skin or to look like an American or a European fairer skin, >> but is the blonde hair, you know, that's just >> but the skincare industry I feel is feeding into that uh the anxiety and the neighbors envy um all of that the grass is green on the other side instead of perhaps trying to be a little more responsible.
(51:21) So as a woman, as an entrepreneur, does that drive you in some way? >> So I always talk about skin health. Always in every podcast, conferences, panels, always talk about skin health. That skin is not only about face. Yes. >> Stop thinking about your face. You know, think about your whole body. Yeah. As the largest organ of your body.
(51:39) So it it requires some care and I I mentioned right it takes only if you calculate uh 10 to 12 minutes >> and some money to look after your skin and some very minimal money >> if you are not going for those expensive skinare products just the normal ones affordable ones and it's hardly any money I think that much your skin deserves >> absolutely one thing that I wanted to try and clear up if it's possible was that a lot of people feel that um the way way that our grandparents did it in terms of even the foods we eat and the
(52:12) things the DIY natural things that we did dup and the face packs and the chandan and the haldi and all of that a lot of people see great merit in that um and if we tell them um for example on a podcast that we did that you know you should only eat what's in your kitchen don't put it on your face they don't like that um >> the importance of having dermatology science or an ingredient that is a pharmaceutical ingredient that might help your skin along.
(52:43) Is that something that we can talk about and embrace or is are those natural DIY um skin care regimes that people follow enough? They are not enough at all. And I'm actually I'm don't endorse at all DIYs and I think not a good idea. And again the natural and chemical it's again such a conf so much confusion. People think anything natural they can just gobble it you know eat it as much as you can apply it as much as you can I don't think it's healthy no >> it's it's very scary you cannot apply you know paste of cinnamon or clubs on
(53:17) your face and it it might burn you right >> right and it might leave a leave pigmentation on your face >> right >> so that's natural as a lemon you know vinegar these are things that we should be wary of uh and perhaps not just make our own concoctions in the kitchen and apply them >> no No, no, no.
(53:37) See, all chemicals, our skincare example, it's backed by science. There's so much of evidence. There's so much of documents. So, I am not against natural products, but there they should be backed by evidence. And if you see all these DIY hacks, you know, coming on FB all the time, >> they never tell you how much quantity, >> how much how long it's going to, you know, take to show you some results, >> some visible results.
(53:59) If it never mentions anything like that, >> right? >> Right. How many people did it, >> right? what age group has done it, what part of India has been using it for such a long time, right? >> They never mention all those things, it should be mentioned, right? if you really want to promote natural products. I think that's an important thing that you said in terms of time also because I feel that a lot of products um again tell you this is going to work in two weeks where it's not possible and it's important I think to set realistic
(54:26) timelines also and to tell people how long they should use things for and follow it in a certain regimen and that you'll only get I think from certain trusted sources let's say but want to talk about quick fixes a little bit >> I think a lot of people when it comes to skincare now understand the cleansing the moisturizing the protection, the CMP, sometimes the treatment, but things happen when you wake up one day and you're going to a wedding or you're going to >> a red carpet, >> a pimple pops up.
(54:52) >> So, I'm thinking of two things. Maybe they're more. A pimple pops up, puffy eyes is another thing that suddenly you wake up either when you sleep too much or you haven't slept enough. >> I don't know which one causes it. >> Um, >> or when you sleep face down, which as a woman you should never do, but I find myself inevitably sleeping with my face down.
(55:10) >> I didn't know that to be honest. that that's not good for your skin >> or that I sleep like that. Which one didn't you know? >> The the face down >> apparently it's not good for your skin because it's just your lymphatic drainage and is that is that also not true because please tell me I can sleep like this and I'll be fine.
(55:25) Okay, >> you can definitely you can and talking about puffy eyes it can happen because of many reasons just not about your sleeping habits. Sometimes you oversleep right if sleep for 10 hours still you get puffy face puffy eyes right sleep less you get puffy eyes. I have uh slightly you know puffy eyes. Uh it's many reasons we are at on phone all the time.
(55:48) We actually stress those muscles a lot >> when you are staring at your laptop you're staring at the phone you're watching too much of TV. Just imagine one that muscles you're over you know overusing them >> but wouldn't that just make that mus doesn't that make you more lean than more? >> No no [laughter] see it's like inflammation >> right? Just like inflammation, right? You're going to gym and you are overusing a certain muscle.
(56:10) It's going to hurt a lot or it's going to get inflamed, right? >> It's something very similar. >> And also sometimes eating salt. >> Eating salt does. Yes. >> Like I went to Japan and I came back with puffy eyes that lasted two weeks >> and soy sauce. It has a lot of sodium. Yeah. So it definitely it can cause puffy eyes.
(56:26) >> Okay. So quick fixes. One for that pimple that pops up. >> So pimple won't go next day. Please. It won't go next day at least it has it will take three to seven days to completely vanish but you can apply a small dot there we have two three products uh >> what is the ingredient that you need >> salicylic acid >> salicylic acid >> or benzol peroxide >> right >> it works extremely well just use a dab of the gel and be okay with it >> because more you know you fiddle with it it's going to >> uh leave marks right
(57:00) >> right leave really bad marks >> so just leave it alone Don't try and pop it. It can. Yes. So that's one. And um you can conceal it if you are really worried about it with some makeup. That's fine for some time for 2 three hours and you can wash it off. >> And now you get those patches also know that you can try and conceal it.
(57:18) >> But they don't work actually to be very honest. No, but they're very popular with kids because they find it fancy, you know, >> and shapes and and not just skills. >> Yes. Yes. >> But they don't work. Why? because they don't get uh you know enough uh air to breathe right >> you actually clog the pore you just clog it so it won't heal on its own >> interesting >> sometimes you know it's a very small wound if you'll see right so it will heal on its own >> okay the puffy eyes are there any quick fixes >> ice >> Ice
(57:47) >> and cucumber you can make a paste >> gr it green tea saches yeah you can come put it in the fridge and you can use >> caffeine I think the caffeine is an ingredient that sometimes It's very symptomatic, you know, for some time, but ice is good. >> Okay. >> Um, I want to come back a little bit to the anti-aging because that's something that, um, I understand is a big deal that people are again trying to achieve.
(58:12) We're talking about pro-agging. We're talking, of course, about embracing just the experience that comes with the years that you've lived, embracing some of those wrinkles and lines that come. But it is not easy sometimes. Um, all of us, you know, we look at ourselves in the mirror.
(58:30) women are anyway judged harder than men. Yes. >> Um and again then the film industry and the glamour industry presents perhaps inauthentic images and you think okay this person is not aging at all. What's happening to me and perhaps I can emulate what's what they're doing. What would you say to someone who comes to you with aging as a concern? um which will allow them to feel good to look good to try and combat some of the you know I'm trying to think of a kinder word than the evils of aging.
(59:01) So I I'll tell you something. Majority of them they are not very good listeners. Majority of them you know they are like you know really want to reverse it >> and they are so desperate about it. I have some friends and some people whom I know they come to me and they ask tell me something I tell me just give me something I want to go back >> right >> they I just want to you know turn around the clock which is just not possible right you it's it's not a disease like you have to cure it.
(59:26) >> It's something you have to be with it. So you can look good right but after a certain age you just cannot pull your skin up you know with a hook it's not possible right so you you can apply some very good moisturizers up to let's say 60 you can still manage right >> after that I think your skin really starts sagging quite a bit and then too much of botox or too many of fillers start showing >> and anyone can make out like you have over you overdid Right? And there are certain areas which you cannot actually
(1:00:01) overdo also. So you know cert then your start face looks a bit deformed. Right? >> Because especially the socket eye socket area you cannot have too many fillers there you know right our jaw you know this this things. So Indians have this habit of our face starts going down. So really we want to pull it up right.
(1:00:20) So each and every you know uh skin type has its own problem like you know European skin, American skin they have very thin skin. >> Yes. >> It's not like you I just mentioned about thick skin. They're very thin skin. So if you see they are wrinkled very early. Yes. >> They have a lot of wrinkles. They have crow feet >> right? They wrinkle really early and we Indians we have this skin going down you know because it's a heavy skin.
(1:00:43) >> It's a thick heavy skin. It starts going down. >> Okay. So I think just be happy and uh it's more about I think being fit also >> right >> right you exercise go to gym eat well good nutrition so even fixed derma or FCL skincare we have a premium skincare brand both won't help you know there are topical applications you have to have this holistic thing you know you have to >> there no shortcuts >> no shortcuts like next morning or after one week you start look looking you know 10 years younger that's not going to
(1:01:15) happen. No way. >> I think the more one talks about just >> um acceptance. >> Yes. >> Um and people speak more openly and we have >> you know more authentic role models who talk about this and who show this in the way that they live and who are comfortable you know walking around like you know Karina for example.
(1:01:34) I feel like that's someone people really look up to because she's so authentic. Um she's comfortable posting very realistic pictures of herself where people can see that this is someone who's secure and confident. It's very easy to say also I think also because she's a superstar and perhaps if you are looking for you know other people who I mean I'm really struggling to think of people who I can look up to as real >> role models.
(1:01:59) Um I look at my mother, I look at Karina, I look at there are few I look at Kate Kate Winslett you know abroad and those are people who are speaking um walking the walk talking the talk and the more we have conversations like this where we just speak about acceptance perhaps it'll normalize certain things >> um when it comes to unrealistic expectations again another thing that people are spending money on uh and taking money out of their budgets to do whether they can afford it or not become secondary are the drips and there's been a lot of talk also So on these wellness
(1:02:29) drips um they are anti-aging drips uh as somebody who has research in this area and experience like what would you say to somebody who would say I want to take a drip too look younger feel younger antioxidants that come with a side effect apparently apparently the that's a side effect and not the intended goal of fairness >> see once in a while taked is fine Like you know people are doing it in weddings.
(1:02:59) >> Yeah. >> Just to feel you know get feel more energetic and you know glowing skin. They're not looking very tired and puffy. So they are doing it once in a while just you know fashion it's it's fine but I don't think you should make it a habit. Definitely it's going to have c certain side effects and uh for fairness uh it's been there for ages.
(1:03:20) Uh people have been taking rut um people have been taking rutathion ribs right and you have to take it regularly to bring your certain shades down and we have so many celebrities right if you see their past pictures and their present pictures there's a huge difference >> in their skin complexion right >> so it's not some kind of a surgery or they have not changed their you know a layer of their skin it's nothing like that right some people have some weird imagination that how Say you know something miraculous has happened and
(1:03:51) there the complete sheet has been changed but actually it's the drips and you have to take regular dose of it for a certain period of time and you have to keep taking it otherwise when you stop taking it all >> reverses because of the melanin and >> Yes. Yes. Yes. Okay. So I feel like these are important things to flag to people who may not have the awareness um and who may go into doing a lot of these things at great personal cost financial and otherwise.
(1:04:19) uh and then they don't get the intended results. So I think a little bit of education goes a long way. Yes. >> Um coming back to fixed derma uh I wanted to talk about the fact that it's doing incredibly well from 2010 to now. There's been great acceleration uh and growth I think now 275 crores of net worth um more than 30 countries.
(1:04:38) So that uh turning point for you if you can touch on what was the moment of growth acceleration uh and then the experience of being a global brand. I wanted to ask about the fact that my friends when they look at India and they look at beauty or they look at wellness they know about Ayurveda and they know about haldi and they know about they know a few things.
(1:05:00) Um but to take a dermat dermatological brand international which is free of ayurvea um isn't that difficult as a as a challenge extremely difficult I think extremely difficult because you know we are uh known for ayurvea you just said right so whenever they think about India they think about those incense sticks temples bells and you know anything all about tradition and flowers and so thinking about a company like us it's not you know they don't even think of they can't relate to it.
(1:05:33) So we have to actually work 10 times more uh than any other brand. When we are you know in any exhibition we participate in most of the exhibitions and across the world we are just going to stumble on 5th 6th 7th May uh we'll be there putting up our stall. So we have to really work very hard because the trust is not there >> with Indian brands and uh and they can't relate.
(1:05:55) >> Mhm. >> So but it's it has been a long journey. We have really established ourself and all our distributors they follow the same channel meeting the dermatologist they prescribe the products and then they are available in the chemist shops. So they are also following the same channel but uh they have done a good job so far and you know this one more question somebody asked us about the present you know the war scene right so are you getting affected we are not getting affected reason being we are not selling sugar and rice we are not
(1:06:26) selling commodity we are selling a brand and all the distributors they are you know working on the brand they can just they they just can't leave us tomorrow >> because they have worked so hard to establish our brand in their country and Indian brand in their country >> right >> so I have a lot of respect for our distributors also >> right >> but you know it gives us a lot of pride when we see Indian brand sitting on the shelf in Saudi Arabia it's a very aware and the whole world knows about their you know their spending yes right they
(1:06:56) have a crazy spending power and when you see an Indian brand sitting on the shelf there next to the multinational brands local brands neighboring brands and K beauty you know and doing well So that gives us crazy pride like we have done something. Our formulations are extremely good. >> So is it the formulations like I'm saying what sets you apart? >> It's the formulations.
(1:07:16) It is the formulations. We have very interesting formulations. I spoke about niggrifix. Nobody ever thought about it. So you won't uh believe that we have queries from China and Korea >> because nobody has you know formulated a product like nigriix. They never thought about it. >> Right. [clears throat] >> Another product which we have is a foot cream.
(1:07:36) So it's more than a crackill cream. Generally people always focus on crack heels. So it's more than a crack heel. It's about tingling sensation in your feet and you know you feel hot >> in the night. They're cold feet in the night. So it actually balances everything. So that product is extremely good. So no one thinks about it and the multinationals always think about some you know a bigger TAM a target should be very big the target market right.
(1:07:59) So they never think about this niche areas so that you're safe >> right >> and you have queries. So whenever we put our stalls, people just come to our you know stall and ask us about these products. Our FCL skin care range has skin brightening complex. We have eye refining matrix. The names are like very complex and interesting and they are very targeted products you know.
(1:08:19) >> Why did you decide to launch a premium line? >> Uh see uh Fixma is a mass premium range and FCL skin care is more of a premium range and it's a doctor's favorite. Uh so we wanted to launch something for dermatologist specifically for them and most of the products are you know white and blue in color uh very uniform packaging and they really love it.
(1:08:44) Uh very very interesting face masks. We have they don't dry they remain wet. So we have uh PBA mask is PHA BHA HA red clay mask right. >> Uh we actually import red oxide. >> Uh it's a volcano. Yeah. So some very interesting product range we have. I think that's the reason we were able to you know crack the international market.
(1:09:08) >> Yeah. Um and uh it's a good percentage of our total revenue right now. It's almost 25%. And we are growing and you know the best part what I feel is as an Indian brand we are able to crack these markets. Imagine Vietnam is our fastest growing market. It's uh it has a porous border from China. >> Their skin is very similar to Korea, >> right? They have their own local brands and it's a very aware and mature market and they're uh they had European brands since ages. Right.
(1:09:41) Right. And we were able to crack >> and some of our products are doing extremely well there are our sunscreens. >> Right. >> So >> what would you say um was the moment of acceleration for you >> and what was that sparked by? So um I was actually speaking to a dermatologist also a few days back in a party and they they he was a bit unhappy.
(1:10:00) There were couple and they were saying why did you move out of the dermatologist you know room uh outside right I said uh the reason was we are a Delhi based example we are gura based company and reaching to misoram reaching to tribandram wise you know gojhati was not easy through dermatologist it's a very long and tedious journey you have to have a team >> who goes and meets all these doctors promotes the products and slowly the product comes on the prescription.
(1:10:32) It's a very it's really hard work you know knocking at each and every door and not always a door is open for you. >> Sure. >> Right. You have to knock it like four, five, six times to enter into it. So it takes a long time. I said we had to step out because we wanted to grow and we wanted the brand to be known. >> Right.
(1:10:49) >> Um and that was the reason and when we went online and then uh we really rock it. I mean >> that's what I wanted to ask you when e-commerce came into e-commerce. It was e-commerce actually then the presence actually when we were present on Amazon and all these marketplaces uh people were really looking for it and the most interesting part for us was it was like a circle right when we started people were really buying um crappy products you know colorful with wonderful fonts and you know something which is more
(1:11:21) sensorial right >> with good fragrance and now it's a complete 360° turn >> now people are after dermatology brands uh more efficacious where the ingredients are mentioned and how the formulation is made. So it was good news for us >> right? So the consumer is more savvy now >> much more savvy much more savvy >> and the best part with us the major differentiation is our own manufacturing unit which we had started in 2013 >> right >> uh so so many people asked this question I remember when we were looking for a
(1:11:55) bit of a funding in 2019 back then so some of them said why do you spend all the money on the manufacturing unit you should have spent the same money on marketing on your top line because the idea that time was of topline time, right? >> Nobody was looking at profits, >> right? >> So, everyone was looking at numbers and our numbers was very small that time, >> right? >> So, why did you spend all the money on mark on your manufacturing unit, >> right? >> So, we just wanted to have a full control on our formulation,
(1:12:22) >> right? >> Because when Yeah. >> You know exactly what is going in the standard >> 100%. Yes. Because you know, you can get hyaluronic acid for a certain price. You can get micronized zinc oxide which is used in sunscreen for a certain price and it's a huge difference on one tenth of a difference right sometimes but using the right ingredient is only going to you know perform on your skin >> sure >> the formulation yes >> sure what does the future look for you and fixer >> great amazing very bright >> because I see a huge scope in so many
(1:12:56) areas we can go >> yes >> you know skin dryness you have been talking Right. >> I've been talking a lot about skin >> and you are actually connecting only it with your hormonal imbalance right now. Right. And because of per menopause aging but you have no idea skin dryness is so much connected with even medication >> who yeah all patients any type of patient uh who's inbound inside the hospital outside is a diabetic or let's say going through cancer >> so many diialysis they all have scary dry skin >> right >> you know you can if you put a nail
(1:13:33) through it might you know make a cut >> wow >> that bad right so that awareness has to happen and even lifestyle air conditioning. >> Yes, they need to apply a heavy moisturizer there. >> So, I'll tell you one uh we are actually uh making um >> is this the product that you're going to that you're in the process of? >> So, I'll tell you a very interesting story.
(1:13:56) So, we have our videographer in office and he said my sister was uh visiting from Australia and she has a tub of uh moisturizer and she said it's finished. So she said can I get something similar? [snorts] >> So he said we make it. She was very surprised. I said no fixama we make this we make this product right. >> So then we gave her three four tubs.
(1:14:21) And then the idea came to my mind that you know if Australia can give it free they give it free in hospitals. So whoever gets uh signs for admission or has come there for any kind of you know consultation get that top free. >> Wow. >> To use it. So I got this idea why don't we bring out something similar and try to promote >> and it's doing extremely well.
(1:14:43) We have just launched it last this winter only or in September and I gave it oneplus 1 scheme on purpose. So many people told me it looks so good and so effective. Why are you I said I just want it to enter the house. So that hydration is >> very very important. So we are also now talking to certain hospitals.
(1:15:01) So there are so many gray areas right of skin care. So whenever these new companies or startups think about skin they are only after those serums >> right >> like you know they launch some three four serums some cream some some some which is very trendy >> right >> and that's not going to last because see if >> if Gita is thinking yes >> of a certain product sitha is also thinking the same thing >> right >> and retita is also thinking the same thing >> then where's the differentiator >> right >> and then they are not able to launch it
(1:15:30) or not able to sustain right >> the brand because they are not thinking beyond face. I aside I want to ask why don't these big generally like you know in America you get these big jars refills and things that seem cost effective why don't we have products in those sizes >> I really love this question because I have spoken about it before so just imagine so if you can find a one lit you know or 2 lit moisturizing lotion >> in India >> no you won't >> why >> because we are not using it >> but don't aren't we price sensitive
(1:16:02) >> we won't be able to sell it >> no because still skin care we are just taking baby steps again >> we don't take it seriously [snorts] >> the percentage you're talking about who use a moisturizer on daily basis a very small percentage they don't think it's a daily need >> so I think this kind of hydration tub that that people get for free will at least start >> yeah we're not giving it for free we giving it away they will prize yeah but we want to at least people to start and understand it's going to help them so I'll tell you
(1:16:33) one more thing what happened So they we had few leftover tubs in the factory and one of my uh relative he goes through diialysis. So I sent him >> like six tubs and he gave it free to certain patients inside the diialysis room. >> Uh [snorts] because there are 500 ml tubs in Australia which we sent. >> Um so the doctor uh you know he put the label on the notice board.
(1:16:59) If you can find it anywhere please buy it. >> So imagine there is so much of requirement. So much need. >> Yeah. So much need but of course the entry barrier is high to enter into a hospital. So whatever easy people startups think about going online. So you can tomorrow or maybe in this evening you can start a business online >> right you don't have to do much >> right >> you can sell anything. Yeah.
(1:17:21) >> So the if the entry barrier is low for you it can be for anyone >> right. Wow. This I didn't actually realize that uh we're only scratching the surface when it comes to consumers of skinare in India. And you must have seen 500 ml 1,000 ml of sunscreen. >> Yes. >> Imagine we have just started using sunscreen and so many of influencers started saying is endocrine disruptor.
(1:17:43) It goes into this and it's going to you know disrupt the barrier reef. We don't we don't even swim. We do. How many of us know swimming? >> I understand. >> Right. We don't have the facility in schools and colleges >> right. No, but the point is very important that sunscreen is very important to use.
(1:18:03) It's a very important protection that we should all use and perhaps we should not get swayed by some talk that has started noise that it's not good for us etc. Do your research, go to your dermat. Uh sunscreen is important. >> Yes. >> Okay. Um last question. What perhaps is one myth that you would like to correct? >> That overnight you will become Cleopetra [laughter] which is not going to happen.
(1:18:25) Nothing is going to be done like overnight. You cannot, you know, change your complexion. You cannot change your skin tone. You cannot close your pores. You cannot, you know, it it takes time. You have to be slow and patient with your skin because if you are harsh and you want quick fixes, you'll make mistakes again. >> Just like your life, right? You make mistakes and then it's again you have to fix it, >> right? >> You're going back to square one to fix it, >> right? >> So, one problem you have solved, but you have made, you know, another mistake.
(1:18:54) So, >> yeah, >> very wise. Yeah. >> Um I feel uh for me again that's been a takeaway that we think we're trying to help our skin but everything is inflammation then especially if you're doing it in an aggressive way. You're looking for a quick fix. It's going to cause inflammation and that's going to show up in a way that is not desirable perhaps later.
(1:19:13) So I want to again thank you again for coming on to the podcast. I think we've had a very um varied conversation which some of it has been philosophical about beauty um and about standards. Some of it has been very specific about what we should look for in the product. Some of it has been about advice for entrepreneurs. So I think there have been lots of takeaways for me and hopefully for people listening as well. But thank you.
(1:19:33) Thank you so much. >> And thank you for building a brand which has trust at the core, you know, incredibly. >> Thank you so much. But you have an excellent skin. But by >> Thank you for saying that. And uh I hope you're not just saying that because No, >> thank you. I think your skin is also wonderful by the way. >> Thank you so much. So this is for you.
(1:19:48) We completed 15 years. >> Oh, congratulations. >> Thank you. >> Lovely. So this will have lots of things that going to be make me. >> Yes. This is all the moist range. I want you to give it to your mom. >> Okay. Lovely. She's >> honestly. And that's body wash. It's for very >> for very very very very very very [laughter] >> honestly that's how you wanted to stalk and somebody was laughing and very very >> Yeah. Thank you so much.
(1:20:18) I think my biggest takeaway from this conversation has really been that the future of skinincare lies in less fear, less confusion and less overuse of products. And at the same time, it calls for more as well. More education, more trust and more respect, I think, for our skin, which is actually our largest organ. And our skin, I think, should not be viewed as a problem to be fixed.
(1:20:42) It's something that needs to be understood and something that we should respect. The goal is to support our skin in doing what it already knows best, protecting and repairing itself by maintaining a healthy skin barrier. Because when we shift from fixing our skin to respecting it, I think that's when skinincare truly evolves.
(1:21:03) So I do want to thank Shelley so much for just being here today, for sharing your journey with all of us, sharing your insights with all of us. And um I think I learned a lot. To everyone watching, if you enjoyed this episode, please don't forget to like, to share, and to subscribe to All About Her. [music]
Author Name:Soha Ali Khan
Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@SohaAliKhanP
Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHSptJx4fVE
Title: Celebrities’ Skincare Brands Are A Bad Idea! ft. Shaily Mehrotra | CEO of Fixderma @SohaAliKhanP
Author Name: Soha Ali Khan
Description: ALL ABOUT HER with Soha Ali Khan ft. Shaily Mehrotra | Skincare Trends, Brand Building & The Truth About Skin Health
Why is the skincare industry growing faster than ever, yet consumers feel more confused than informed?
In this episode of All About Her, we explore the evolving world of skincare, beauty trends, dermatology, and what it really takes to build a trusted brand in today’s digital-first world.
Joining the conversation is Shaily Mehrotra, Co-founder and CEO of Fixderma, a science-led, dermatologist-recommended skincare brand built on simplifying skincare through credible information and clinically backed solutions.
From celebrity skincare brands and social media influence to anti-ageing, DIY skincare, men’s skincare, fairness obsession, and viral beauty trends, this episode dives into how the industry has changed over the years and where it’s headed next.
The conversation also explores the business side of beauty: how consumer behaviour has evolved, how brands grow in today’s market, and what it takes to build trust and scale in the skincare industry in 2026.
At its core, this episode is about separating skincare facts from marketing noise and understanding what healthy skin truly means today.
This episode is supported by Fixderma — a science-backed skincare brand focused on making skincare simpler, more effective, and more accessible.
#AllAboutHer #SohaAliKhan #ShailyMehrotra #Fixderma #Skincare #BrandBuilding #BeautyIndustry #Dermatology #CelebrityBrands #AntiAgeing #SkinHealth #IndianSkincare #Podcast
📍 Whoppl Studios
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter Titles
0:00 – Upcoming
1:26 – Introduction
2:17 – Meet Shaily Mehrotra
2:52 – Why Skincare?
5:19 – When Did Fixderma Feel Real?
7:09 – What Nani-Dadi Skincare Missed
10:14 – Skincare Industry in 2026
13:02 – Celebrity Skincare Brands
17:11 – Do Brand Ambassadors Work?
20:34 – Men Need Skincare Too
22:01 – Social Media & Brand Growth
27:05 – How Skincare Changed Since 2010
29:22 – Sharmila Tagore’s Simple Routine
33:55 – India’s Fairness Obsession
39:00 – Skincare in Your 40s
43:27 – Biggest Founder Mistakes
46:11 – Ninna’s Question
51:07 – What Drives Shaily Today
52:02 – Is DIY Skincare Safe?
54:36 – Do Quick Fixes Work?
58:02 – The Truth About Anti-Ageing
1:02:14 – IV Wellness Drips Trend
1:04:23 – Taking an Indian Brand Global
1:09:48 – Fixderma’s Growth Phase
1:18:14 – One Skincare Myth to Break
1:18:57 – Outro
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Produced By: Soha Ali Khan
Production House: Any Content Experts Pvt Ltd
Creative Producer & Writer: Bhumika Jethwa
DOP: Anish Ajmera, Jimit Sondagar
Post-Producer & Editor: Yash Patel
✨ Follow Soha Ali Khan ⤵︎
Instagram: @sakpataudi
Twitter: @sakpataudi
Facebook: Soha Ali Khan
Transcript:
(00:02) Everyone keeps saying that you know I used to watch my mother, I used to watch my grandmother, they just used one tab or something and their skin looked [music] great. Is that true? I met some woman and she said I don't apply anything on my face. I said so you don't look like mother. I [laughter] don't know whatever your mom was doing was doing absolutely right.
(00:18) Why? I'll tell you. >> Because she watches this podcast. [laughter] >> Do men need a different kind of products or can they borrow their wives? >> Men definitely need skin care. Looking good is good. >> Looking good is good. Good should be embraced. >> Yes. The skincare industry tends to feed on insecurity [music] and sort of the care has gone out of skinare.
(00:36) Now they want the Korean glass skin. >> That's all filters. People think anything natural they can just gobble it, you know, eat it, apply it as much as you can. It's very scary. You cannot apply, you know, paste of cinnamon or clubs on your face and it it might burn you. And we have so many celebrities, right? If you see their past pictures and their present pictures, there's a huge difference in their skin complexions.
(00:56) But actually, it's the drips. People from our industry we smile you know when we see nasmide getting so much of popularity for 20 30 years they've always been there India has just started taking baby steps. >> Wow this I didn't actually realize that uh we're only scratching the surface when it comes to consumers of skinare. So you have kiti mira they are building skincare lines and businesses.
(01:16) Is that a bad idea? >> I don't think it's a very good idea also. [music] So India is one of the most complex skincare markets in the world. It's shaped by diverse climates, by pigmentation concerns, price sensitivity, and an incredibly strong digital influence. Today, skincare sits at the intersection of dermatology and consumer-driven trends.
(01:44) So while dermatology has traditionally been more clinical problem focused, modern skincare is heavily influenced by social media and marketing. Often leading I think to confusion, to an overuse of activives and a lack of clear guidance. The real challenge then is no longer access to products, but access to the right information.
(02:07) Consumers are now seeking to simplify their routines, rely on science-backed solutions, and move towards transparency and credible guidance over overwhelming choice. Our guest today, Shelley Marotra, is the co-founder and CEO of Fix Derma, a dermatologist recommended science-led skincare brand built to bridge the gap between clinical expertise and everyday skincare.
(02:31) With a presence in more than 30 countries, a network of 15,000 doctors and rapid growth in recent years, she represents what it takes to build a skincare brand rooted in both scale and substance. Hello and welcome to all about her and today we will be discussing the rise of skinincare in India. So thank you so much firstly for coming on the show.
(02:53) I think that we really need a voice in all of the noise to tell us what we should be doing for our skinincare. Um, in my introduction I spoke about how perhaps this industry has a lot going on now. >> Yes. >> You of course brought fixed derma uh to life in 2010. >> Yes. Yes. >> So was it as cluttered then as an industry? uh and if so why did you choose to do skincare or perhaps was it not so cluttered in 2010 and also the question is still valid in terms of why skincare so in 2010 of course it wasn't cluttered and um we could see the
(03:30) opportunity >> um and you know fixerma is a perfect union between pharmaceutical and skincare right >> so like we had cosmetics which were more superficial for topical application and mostly they were meant for fairness right And other side we have pharmaceutical which was meant on more for you know corrections and more on prescription bas.
(03:53) >> So if you had acne as a problem or if you had pigmentation as a problem it would address that and of course the packaging was very boring. >> Of course it was aluminium tubes very boring packaging very medical look. So it was a perfect union of both >> and it was very much there abroad in Southeast Asia especially um like of course Europe and US of course it was there but even Southeast Asia it was present which is called cosmaceutical or dermaceutical a perfect union between both and we saw there's a gap and we
(04:24) could bridge that gap so that was idea behind fixed derma >> and the name itself the intent is behind the name fixing your derm >> to fix your skin right >> so All the products are meant to fix your skin. And we started with 10 products back then. Yeah. >> Uh there were two sunscreens, a moisturizing lotion, a moisturizing cream, um a normal moisturizing cream for dry skin, some basic and a foot cream, a basic products which we still have in the portfolio.
(04:51) >> And now your portfolio has expanded to how many products? >> Uh around 150. >> And that's because people's skin types are so different, their needs are so varied. or is it just because now they want things that they don't even need. >> So there are many reasons behind it because we have many channels we sell through.
(05:09) We sell through dermatologists, we sell online, we sell through retail channel, we also export. So sometimes we have to keep that portfolio that comprehensive range of products. Right? >> So that's also one reason. >> My um first question actually is a broader question. Um I mean my first question after you said this was that there are lots of women now who are trying to build businesses.
(05:28) >> Yes. And before we get into a deeper conversation about skinare, you had an idea in 2010 which you saw had legs to become a business. >> Yes. >> What about some women who are looking to build a business? Uh how do they realize that it's just an idea or that it has legs to become a business? Would you have some advice for them? >> How do you know when you have something a real business? >> See, I'll go back a bit in the past.
(05:52) So when we thought of fixed drama it was like you know building a proper business that >> who's we you keep saying >> me and my husband I see right and he came in the picture later because when we started it was a very small company >> um >> so the idea was to build a proper business because we had business in Southeast Asia >> and we wanted to you know divide our eggs in two baskets so we were building a business uh the idea was never to sell or to get acquired or you know sell some steaks in the it wasn't there then of
(06:23) course I shouldn't say that >> uh if the opportunity was there then we should have also done the same thing but the opportunity was not there then uh so the idea was to build a proper business take some money home >> and you know to scale and to establish a brand >> um but cut to if you see now I don't think it's an easy thing to do because that time the clutter the chaos the confusion was much less >> right >> and right now I I think roughly around there are 22,000 uh companies in beauty category on Amazon alone
(06:58) >> I can imagine >> right they are which actually covers uh even oil hair oil and all kind of products but it's a crazy number it's a crazy number >> so at that point you said you saw an opportunity and I think you touched on that in terms of that gap between dermatology and skinare >> and cosmetics >> and cosmetics that you wanted to fill Um, I feel like, you know, going back to 2010, going back even prior to that, a lot of us, we've had three conversations now on skincare on this podcast, it's obviously something that people are
(07:31) interested in, but everyone keeps saying that, you know, I used to watch my mother, I used to watch my grandmother, my nani, they just used one da or something >> and their skin looked great. H >> um and I wanted to ask you uh as an expert in this in the industry, is that true that people just managed to was it because of a lack of pollution? Was it because of lifestyle that was simpler then? Or are we just overusing things and therefore actually hurting our skin barrier >> barrier? So what is it that people may do with
(08:04) just one or two products or it actually they would have benefited from having more products? So I feel like if it would of course be very unpopular to criticize our grandmothers but do you think they would have benefited from some more education or awareness? >> 100%. I think the awareness was not there, the knowledge was not there and there was no means to you know get that knowledge also.
(08:29) So um in fact I remember in one of the podcasts I said some uh I met some woman and she said I don't apply anything on my face and I said so you don't look like Madurik you know I mean that was rude right but you know people um think that you know skin care is vanity it's not it's just taking care of your skin yes >> it's skin health right >> and earlier people you were applying dii ghee you know some coconut oil it's not they were not applying anything they were applying so it were more DIYs they were trying you know the hacks home
(09:01) hacks >> so they were doing >> right >> and uh if you see now a 50 year old or a 40-y old woman they look much younger and if you go to a village and compare >> yes >> uh you know a person who stays in Bombay Delhi or Bangalore uh same age >> they look years apart >> right >> right a person who stays in Bombay or Delhi they look much younger than a 40 year old who staying in a village because of the sun damage, they don't apply anything, they don't moisturize, they don't eat well.
(09:32) >> Yeah. So, the nutrition now there's awareness in cities about eating the right food. Of course, people understand sun is a >> a big no no. Uh my confusion is though that a lot of people say early morning sun is also good vitamin D, but should we avoid the sun entirely and cover ourselves up and just take a supplement? >> No, I think yes, you are right.
(09:54) Early morning sun is actually good. You can take one round of the park. Yeah, that's it. >> What park? >> Like whatever. >> Bandra. [laughter] >> Yeah. Wherever you can walk and get that mild sun because early morning sun is milder. That's the reason you know once it's 12 it gets much harsher. So that's the reason. >> Yes.
(10:12) >> Yeah. Okay. Um I wanted to ask um when it comes to again skincare now we're looking at 2026. >> Um do you look at filling a gap where there you do you need to create a demand for certain products? I feel like when it comes to marketing to a glamour industry, at the end of the day, sometimes people not not even aware of what they want or need, they just see something and they want it because it's been well packaged, it's beautiful, or they feel like so and so is using it, somebody's endorsing it in an advertisement and they feel I want it.
(10:43) Uh, and that's creating a demand. Or, uh, is it harder to fill a need? I'm asking you from a from the point of view of a business. So when you're building a brand >> filling the niche part I think you need to have very deep pockets >> because that only can be done by the big size companies which I mean they can create awareness right they can do a lot of medium ads like you know holdings television OTT performance marketing they can create that market >> yes >> but uh for a smaller size company it's very difficult
(11:13) >> to create a need they can follow they can be followers not leaders they can't create a brand or a niche it's not that easy for them. >> So in terms of your strategy when you started or even now when you look at actually getting your products off the shelves what uh do you find works for you best? See if I have to start business now example right in 2026 of skincare um many people ask me this one I won't start >> right two because the market is already too crowded and two if I have to I think there is definitely an area where I you
(11:46) can pick up a niche >> yes >> like you know you can build skin care just for 40 plus people or women 50 plus or for aging people or for dryness issues eczeis is something just pick up an area and build the product there around it because India is a huge market you know any >> any area you pick up it's a crazy big market >> yeah so I feel like it's very similar to podcasting in that way because everyone is becoming a podcaster and they say if you don't know your audience >> and you just come with something generic
(12:19) why will people watch you or why will people use you unless you're solving a problem unless you're addressing a particular niche concern >> so it's it's it's similar Yeah, even in podcast like you know if I have to understand how to increase your followers on Instagram or how to increase your followers on YouTube, you will start you know watching only those uh channels right where you can get that knowledge.
(12:41) So something you know where you can actually become an expert you can focus you can understand the market and slowly you can grow it because see whenever you think of a uh a company who is like you know has a best products or a best formulation for let's eczema right and you think about that company only then >> yes >> because if you're doing anything to everything I think it'll get lost right now >> but it's interesting to say that now uh you wouldn't enter the industry now because perhaps there's a lot of people doing it >> there are Although a lot of people who
(13:10) seem to be entering the industry a lot of them are from my fraternity as well. Um so you have Deepipika uh you have Kiti you have um Mera they are building skincare lines and businesses. Is that a bad idea? >> I don't think it's a very good idea also. You know the brand is associated with their name. It might sell.
(13:30) It won't happen now. >> That's what I'm asking because >> it won't happen. The customer is very different right now. The customer 15 years back was very different. They were really attracted by celebs and their faces. But right now they are looking you know at the back of the bottle. They want to understand the formulation, the ingredients, how it's going to work on your skin.
(13:50) The awareness is is on different level. >> But do you think that awareness might exist for places like Mumbai or Delhi? Yes. >> Do you think that awareness exists overall? Because there is still a huge attraction. Um I feel like it might be an incentive to see someone that you take as a role model, someone you also trust.
(14:08) It's not just that these people are ro that they're beautiful. There's now a sense of trust and authenticity and transparency um to some extent where people feel like okay perhaps these people are actually using these products. You see them using them on the Instagram reels now and perhaps this is something that if I use I might be able to look a little bit like them.
(14:28) >> No, I think that would work in tier 2 cities or tier three cities where they aspire to look like you or to any of the celebs, right? But in tier one cities Bombay and Delhi they actually they want the product to perform. Right. >> Right. And uh let's take example of Mera. They know it's her brand. Yes. >> That's why she's endorsing it.
(14:48) That's why she's promoting it. They will not buy because >> it's her brand. They will buy because the performance is good. I'm talking about only tier one city where the awareness is on a different level right now. Sure. There's so much information out there. >> Yeah. >> So much information. >> Too much information.
(15:03) Too much information. So that information contradicts >> that information. So some people are like I don't know whether vitamin C is good for me or not. Is it burning my skin or is it brightening my skin? Um I feel that celebrities I do feel that they have this impact on people. I wanted to ask you because um I understand now there's education and people don't just get something because somebody is selling it.
(15:25) Even now if I post something that is um promoted on my page, people know um and they like things that are organic um it's very hard to tell now what is organic and [laughter] what is not also because all the marketing departments also say okay okay smart yeah smarter do you feel that it is beneficial to brands to have brand >> see um I'll tell you how it was beneficial because we were always a dermatology brand when we step out of it uh you know not exactly step out We wanted to you know grow the business and uh you know started reaching out to
(15:58) retail channels. We needed a face because still you know in uh smaller cities or like let's say tier two cities people really like to see a face. >> Yes. Even on this podcast they like to see a face. >> Yeah. Because they want you know they aspire to look like them. Yes. >> So it works.
(16:15) Is that true more of India it is of other markets? Because now fixed term has gone into 30 countries. See our faces won't work there unless >> No, but I'm saying that do faces, known faces, popular faces as a marketing strategy work more in India than they do because when I went to England for example um when you put on the television there you have ordinary people selling products that anybody can use.
(16:36) >> Um so is it >> are we more celebrity obsessed in England? >> Yes, I think we are. >> Okay. >> Yeah. Not and we shouldn't. >> No, but even in US it's there. I have not been I haven't been in England. Yeah, US is there people are you know associated especially with makeup brands it's if you see Kylie Jenner and all those there's so many of them right so it it does actually it makes a lot of difference okay >> it was coming from them >> but you know how they promote it how do they market it >> they really do it in a very professional
(17:07) way >> yes >> uh so I think that's why they are successful >> when it comes to brand ambassadors so but you've you've chosen some interesting faces across not just film you have sports um and you have different ages also as your practice. So that is just it's an inclusive strategy. You have men, you have burani, you have n chopra.
(17:27) >> So I'll tell you why we chose babani. We had a very interesting product which of course is doing extremely well for us. Uh it's called nigrifix. So it was for an ailment called ngricanthosis which is darkness on your neck, nape area, elbows, knees um you know knuckles and it's it's always been there and people were not aware about it.
(17:51) So we launched a product we really researched worked very hard on it and we launched but we were really wondering whether it's going to work in India or not because people are still thinking about the face all the time. >> True. >> Right. uh people are not even spending on face. So how why there will be spending you know on these areas >> but then uh we thought Babani would be a perfect fit because he has that credibility and the movies he had come you know three idiots so and he did a fantastic job >> uh with the product we did some TV ads
(18:21) and we were able to establish the product in the market >> and we were the first companies to launch a product for nigrian echenthosis I remember my team was like ma'am nobody is able to pronounce it and why you want to launch a product for this. I am I'm sure it's not going to sell >> but it took off really well and uh it's still doing extremely well.
(18:42) >> Absolutely. No, I think number one the fact that it is a it is a situation a problem that exists >> and when people know there's a solution for it and then of course that trust and credibility is so important which you >> and you know there was again a misunderstanding about it that people think whenever you see you know a dark elbow or a dark neck or a dark knees you think maybe he's not you know showering properly or he's not rubbing scrubbing properly or maybe he ignored that area for a long time that's why it's become
(19:08) dark actually is underlying medical condition >> I see >> and it can be cured >> so a good product it's a very mix good mix of ura retinol and AHABHS and we got a patent on it >> right so I think this is that important gap that can be fixed where you're identifying something that can be easily treatable for somebody that education again then has to come in >> but then you know if you have to launch a product for this kind of you know this area or for a certain medical condition then you need to have a knowhow >> yeah and you have to spend that money to
(19:39) also create to educate people >> yes you cannot say my mom had this problem or I saw it somewhere I got inspired that it's not going to work like that you need to have very good knowledge and you need to back it by you know proper evidence research paperwork a lot of work has to go into it because when you are you know focusing on a certain area >> right >> so that was one uh Babalani was very good choice for us.
(20:05) Then we took NRA Chopra for a very short time uh >> when he was a gold. >> Yes. Yes. Yes. And um very very sweet person, very sweet personality, very simple man. >> He keeps smiling all the time really >> you know even if you tell him that you know it's a serious product you have to [laughter] so >> so yeah so that was for a short period.
(20:25) >> Okay. >> And we had Vani Kapoor. So I told you like uh she endorsed our sunscreen >> and we did a very good um made a very good TV ad for her. >> Do men need a different kind of um line of products or can they borrow their wives? >> They can actually but men definitely need skin care because they exfoliate their skin every single day by shaving.
(20:46) >> So they need to moisturize it really and just see I remember I was doing a podcast with Shallini Pasi and she said something very interesting. She said if you are 23 24 you are like within 30 and you are claiming to boasting about your skin right you shouldn't. She was like you shouldn't >> you're young. >> Yeah you're young.
(21:08) You you should have very good skin. What's the big deal about it? >> That's true. >> She said it's it's me. If I boast about my skin then I have done something good with my skin. >> So that was actually a very good takeaway. >> That's true. >> Right. And see let's not look at young boys about look at men in India. They have those dark patches on their forehead, on the side cheeks and they can take care of it.
(21:30) If you look at their hand, it's absolutely fine. >> Yeah. >> Right. So they have actually pigmented skin and the pigment becomes so deep and dark, it looks like patchy skin. >> Yes. >> So that can be again fixed. >> Right. But I'm that I'm glad to see now that there is an interest in developing cosmetics for men, skin care for men and that men are taking care of themselves because we should, you know, we should look good for each other. Yes.
(21:53) >> The ownership of being beautiful should not is good. >> Looking good is good. Looking good should be embraced. >> Yes. >> Yeah. It's not a bad thing at all. What about the uh social media component? I feel like the consumer is savvy now also because there is a lot of information that is out there but information is also misinformation and your take on social media whether it's been helpful in your journey or whether it's been something that you've had to combat.
(22:16) See in the beginning when we started the journey dermatologists were not happy with us using influencers as you know promoting our products. They were really unhappy about it. >> But anybody can be an influencer, >> right? And we use in the beginning certain dermatologists also uh free of charge or because for both of us it was new >> right >> very new and we asked certain doctors who were good friends why don't you promote our products and they said fine >> and then they saw there was a crazy spark you know and they were also happy
(22:46) about it. uh they are not happy but you know what I feel it's fine using influencers because uh it has been happening for a very long time. >> I I remember when I was doing my MBA how they were using influencers in colleges you know college uh those uh kids who are you know chosen as college presidents and very good-looking kids were given certain products to use at a certain period of time.
(23:14) I was reading about Vespa >> uh the scooter. So how Italy actually when it was launched long back it was in our course how they gave it to certain you know influencing people who are really good-looking handsome boys in in college so that they can you know they can ride it with their girlfriends just to you know make an impression on others.
(23:37) So the influences have been used in different forms and ways right and right now people and boys they can relate to them they are just like a next door girl >> right >> so that's why I think they're getting so popular >> right >> it's helping yeah the argument is only that it then equates to popularity how many followers you have and you can amass followers by just maybe not just doing correct or um responsible things uh you become popular all sorts of problem comes because once they don't have any knowledge majority of them >> yeah and then if it's a if it's a a
(24:12) collaboration and sometimes there's a money exchange then the again because of the lack of transparency the person who's a consumer doesn't know but I think the onus is also on consumers >> to know who you're following and whether they are a doctor or not what they're selling little bit we have to I think take responsibility >> yes I agree on that so that's why you know when we communicate with influencers we Tell them that you should tell how it has actually affected your skin. You have been applying it and you
(24:40) have seen a change. Don't give advice to people that you should apply. >> Uh don't be a like a doctor. You know, you you don't have any doctor. Yeah. You're not a doctor. >> And now people are I think um uh you know whenever you post something and you say okay I'm not a doctor but this is just my experience and you must consult a professional before you do this.
(24:58) People like that. People trust that and I think trust is very important. Uh do you look at trends though on social media when you're deciding to launch a product? If something is popular for example, then does that affect something that you might produce at all? Are you sensitive to those trends? >> Not really.
(25:18) Not really. I think again if you really focus on certain areas, I just said that you need certain a product you know a regimen >> a regimen to follow and um that's it. You know we actually um people from our industry we smile you know when we see nyinamide going getting so much of popularity salicylic acid they have been there for 20 30 years they've always been there but no one was talking about it >> but they were in these boring >> yes yes the way communicative packaging >> yes >> so there are lot of problems with influencers sometimes you know right now
(25:50) like they're talking about not using sunscreen >> India has just you know started taking baby steps right towards skincare care and if you are scaring them they will just you know retreat right >> so don't scare them let them try experiment start at least >> if you see uh you'll be very surprised you know Nepal you must be think it's a very poor country our neighbor right they have if you go ratio wise they use more skin care than us they spend more money than us >> and why is that >> they're more awareness >> so I'm saying how how why
(26:25) >> they are more conscious about their looks Northeast is so conscious about their looks. >> But we also conscious about our looks in in >> not so much. India is not Bombay and Delhi and Hyderabad and Bangalore. So I always talk about India is like Bharat and India, >> right? Bharat is still >> is still you know like taking >> No. Yeah.
(26:47) I mean I that I think all of India is not in the same in the 21st century. Not all of India's at all. We can't assume. They say whatever is true of India, the opposite is also true of India. >> Yes. Yes. Um >> the percentage is very very small which is actually very aware and all the brands are fighting for them >> right >> so that percentage is very very small.
(27:05) >> What do you think are the biggest changes that you might have seen since 2010 to now in the skincare industry? >> I think the entire marketing dynamics have changed >> really >> since 2010 and 2026. Now I think the changes are happening on I'll say monthly basis. M >> you know earlier it was like 3 4 years you'll see a change you bring a new product in the market it'll take 2 years people used to research for one year then next year it was a market test before launching the product and that market test used to happen for at least
(27:38) one year or 6 months and then the mark proper product was launched right >> now it's entirely changed the product is launched I think within a week or two weeks because it's such so fast right now >> but this test still have to be done I'm not sure who's doing the testing right how they are bringing the products out but uh it's too fast >> I'm saying for the cosmetic industry skincare industry um when you have like you said you know I know neutrauticals and I know um stuff that you get at a chemist for example um something
(28:10) requires a particular certification so does it exist in the skinare industry between dermatology and cosmetic I'm assuming that dermatical dermatological products will require a standard that perhaps the other ones don't have to aspire to and that's why it can be sometimes confusing or even um you have to be wary of the products that you're using.
(28:32) >> See in uh it's diminishing right now. So when we launched fixed derma in 2010 um so we had you know I'll say there were pros and cons of course the competition was not there. We were very happy very profitable the market was very small but the awareness was very poor. People were using sunscreen like you know example a doctor has prescribed a sunscreen to you.
(28:55) you will use it for some time and where the tube is like you know somewhere lying somewhere right you won't use it you didn't understand the importance of a sunscreen >> but now cut to 2026 um awareness is on a different level right but then there is so much of competition there's so many products you type sunscreen on Amazon and you have 200 400 500 sunscreens right and which one to buy right >> it's such a big question for everyone >> and that's what I'm saying is there's no standard that they all have to meet no >> so with again so many products people as
(29:24) I said in the beginning uh people are layering a bunch of things they want to achieve Korean glass skin um they don't know how to do it so they're trying everything and one podcast we had actually we spoke about how using so many activives actually damages the skin barrier and then it presents maybe 10 years down the line is pigmentation which is apparently on the rise in India >> yes >> people should I think I'm looking certainly in my 40s now for a simpler routine something that I can sustain something where I'm not overwhelmed
(29:54) something where it's not taking me half an hour in the bathroom. Um, and my husband has gone to sleep waiting for me and he's like, "You take so long in the bathroom." So now I want it to be done in maybe I don't know 7 minutes. >> That's good enough. >> Is that's good enough? So what I what should I be doing in my 40s? What are the mistakes that people were making in their 20s? And for example, if I go back to my mother's time and she >> of course put her skin through a lot.
(30:20) uh you know now we were sitting and she was saying my eyes are dry um perhaps it's also because they use so much glycerine >> to build up those tears and they would do it again and again and again she said I use so much glycerine um my eyes are dry for various reasons also today uh that are age related but I'm sure that there were things that we did to our skin because we didn't have awareness or education then I don't remember I saw her I would wake up um I would watch her getting ready to go to work I don't remember ever using sunscreen um I
(30:48) remember there wore heavier makeup then. >> Yes. >> And I think there was a sense like that pancake makeup that they wore and you you might know the words for it. >> There was a sense that this is protecting me from the sun perhaps >> this layer which may or may not be true. Uh and then the taking off makeup routine was simple.
(31:06) There was a tub of something pink or white >> um and there was and there was an imollient and then it would they would take it off and that was it. >> So I'll go one by one. One, whatever your mom was doing was doing absolutely right. >> Okay. So why why I'll tell you >> because you watch this podcast. [laughter] >> No, why I'll tell you because foundation actually uh those pancake type of you know layers which which they used to put earlier you know in their in ' 60s and '7s right it was good.
(31:34) [snorts] >> So uh because if you see uh what is the base of foundation it's full as earth >> right? >> Right. And if you go to Myanmar, they apply those you know those two they make two circles here because that's where you get pigmentation. >> Yes. >> Uh because of sun. Right. They make two circles here and even everyone is like you know you'll go in office and you'll be very surprised people are wearing it.
(31:58) Right. >> Right. Uh male female both >> really >> there. So that's awareness. Right. >> So that pancake actually was you know protecting her from harsh sun >> and lights. >> Right. Because I always tell people that that's also a myth in India that makeup is bad. Actually makeup makes a layer on your face.
(32:17) Actually it protects you from sun again. Interesting. >> So foundation is good. I mean that layer was actually protecting her from those lights. And >> now of course we want to be realistic and we want to show you know like the small imperfections in our skin. We're shooting in HD so that makeup is visible. >> It's very clear now. >> We were using very clear.
(32:33) It takes 2 hours to achieve that new makeup look and I don't know what goes behind it but >> and then imollient you mentioned right and that's perfect because right now we are using that you know face oils >> right cleansing balms they are just a different fancy name it's the same thing >> right >> right you >> rub the oil on your face or the balm and just to you know mix everything and then you wash it off and of course you have to use use a cleanser and they were using a cleanser it could be in a form of soap yeah >> right so they were doing actually the
(33:01) right steps they were following doing >> right. >> So I think that's why her skin looks still looks so good. >> Right. >> Right. >> Okay. [laughter] Sure. Um some challenges that she faces >> things like pigmentation. >> Um I don't know whether whether if she'd use sunscreen whether it's hormonal related also whether things that we can do to combat the hormonal changes that we face.
(33:26) I for example will be facing declining estrogen very soon. Um that will have an impact on my skin. And I can already feel my skin drying out, >> my skin all over my body becoming more reactive, more sensitive. Um, I had rosacea when I was in college. >> I used a bunch of things without consulting anyone. I think I burnt a layer off my skin also and then I went to a dermatologist and um, retinol was given at that point. Um, is retinoid.
(33:50) Um, so there are times so that was a problem. So I went to a doctor at that point and but I'm seeing now people just want glowing skin. They want clear skin. They want an even tone. If if we move the narrative a little bit away and I will ask you uh the obsession about fair skin. >> Mhm. >> Now the narrative when it comes to marketing at least seems to have shifted.
(34:14) People are being more responsible. There's an understanding that healthy skin is what we want. We want an even skin tone. I don't know if that's the truth is in all of India again if you go beyond the tier one cities whether that truth still exists or people are still chasing the gory skin number one uh and then >> shall I go on the aging part and then the gora part yeah because you asked me about aging first >> let's go on the gora part first um we can go chronologically so the gora part first the question is that >> so the obsession with fairness I feel it
(34:47) would be wrong to say it has disappeared >> no no of course It's not it's very much there. >> So as a brand uh that sells skin and healthy skin where do you draw the line between giving people what they want and educating them as to what is actually desirable or what should be desirable which is a healthy skin barrier.
(35:07) So do you draw that line somewhere and how do you how do you deal with that? So one we don't have any product which actually promotes fairness because I always tell people have a healthy skin you know uh even if you're very fair for example and your face is full of acne and pigmentation or uneven skin tone it won't look good right >> so complexion is not something you should chase you cannot it will come back >> right >> it will come back if you have you know reduced your skin tone to a certain you know two three shades down it it's going
(35:35) to come back because your skin h your body actually you uh releases melanin >> and the [clears throat] dose is you know fixed by the creator right [laughter] so even if you do whatever you can it's going to come back because the dose would be the same and the melanin creation would come back and your skin tone would be back to square one >> I don't think people know this I don't think a lot of people still know this I think that they do use products uh they think that they can perhaps achieve a lighter skin tone uh people
(36:05) >> they will but it's temporary >> the fact that that natural skin pigment will come back. >> It will come back. Definitely it's going to come back and it's very sad to know that we have so many brands and they have very funny names you know like gori sundi and all those names funny names and they do well they do extremely well they are sold over the counter and chemist promote them a lot and you'll be like you know surprised to know the people who can't afford uh many things but they can afford that tube >> right
(36:35) >> and it's not that cheap also it's like 200 250 rupees >> so that is how much the desire is >> yes and it has It's full of steroids. The sad part is full of steroids. And once you start applying it, within a week you will see a shade, two shades, three shades up >> and you can see a difference of you know face and neck because sadly they don't even understand to apply it on the neck also.
(36:56) >> So and then it reverse >> it reverses after some time and it does irreversible damage to your skin. So we have so many people on our customer care who keep calling us sending us pictures and they even reach out of course doctors much later once the damage is done but it's irreversible in 98% cases only 2% it can be reversed >> so when people reach out to you what can you suggest to them or what can you >> it's very difficult actually because they have damaged their skin so how it looks like I'll tell you once it's
(37:26) damaged it's very dark they have dark patches and it's full of acne u whatever age they are >> why do they act >> it actually it's breakout because your skin is so stressed uh it just snaps you know >> right >> so uh and it's very sad especially it's happening in tier three cities a lot and especially with the lower working class >> yes >> uh they are so obsessed to you know look like somebody or to be no feral >> so how do we push that narrative towards healthier skin understanding the function of what your this organ our
(38:00) largest organ is the fact that these things are anyway counterproductive um that they make false promises that they have things that are harmful for you. How do you um educate people and sell the products that will actually create an even skin tone for example or a healthy sort of glow. See even um just going back to the question even government is taking a lot of actions you know they actually ban these products they come back because there's so much of demand they sell like hot cakes you know >> through chemists uh what we are doing
(38:35) you asked right >> uh we don't have any product like that >> I keep telling in each and every podcast through our different communication mediums that just focus on healthy skin use a simple skincare routine and just adopt some kind kind of skincare routine like you know you brush every day, you bathe every day, >> uh you eat good food, why not you know eat do something for your skin.
(38:58) It takes only 5 to 10 minutes. >> Okay, talk me through the 5 to 10 minutes. For me, for example, I >> uh want healthy skin. I feel like it's increasingly challenging because I don't know the things that I can fight >> and the things that I can't fight. Gravity I can't fight. I don't think unless one goes under the knife.
(39:18) >> No, >> correct me. We'll talk about it that under the knife is not going to help you also for a long time because you look like a vampire you know after a point >> really >> I mean how much >> I don't know some people look quite nice and they look quite youthful and you know maybe they're going I don't >> maybe after a certain age you cannot fight >> right so I want I feel like but there's certain things that you can do like I'm saying that instead of just saying okay um I'm not saying that fight uh aging I'm not saying that
(39:46) >> it's not a disease >> it's exactly embrace aging we've talked about pro-aging, but we can also >> look good. >> Look good. And that should, as you said, it's not conceited. It's not arrogant. It's what we owe ourselves, I think. Um, and now women are out there, we're earning money, we're going to work, we should be allowed to spend money on the things that we enjoy spending money on as well. It's our disposable income.
(40:06) And if we want to spend that on >> looking good, which does in some way also translate to feeling good um then and I think that the main thing hair and skin >> where we don't want to have to hide behind makeup sometimes we want to have no makeup and still have that healthy glow. So what can I do in my 40s for example? There are some people who are watching this who are in their 20s and 30s as well.
(40:29) Uh so we can talk to them as well but because I have you with me now what can I do? So once you're out of shower, >> Yeah. >> Yeah. Let's go back there. Once you are out of shower, apply a good moisturizing lotion, body lotion on your entire body. If you have very dry skin, >> Yes. >> Uh especially, you know, after 40s, per menopause, menopause, your skin starts getting dry and you're very surprised that you know we >> all your life you had acne and you had very oily skin.
(40:56) But now what a s it's a sudden change, right? >> Uh skin is very dry. >> Um >> and you get adult acne as well when your skin gets very dry. Yes. So adult acne we'll come back to it otherwise we so out of shower >> and and that moisturizer can be when your skin is still a little wet so it can lock in the moisture. >> Yes.
(41:15) Yes. So before you towel dry >> see I know a few things. >> Yeah. Before you tile dry you just apply body lotion. It takes keep a timer if you don't believe me it takes only two to three minutes maybe 3 minutes I think maximum. Right. How fast you're moving of course. And then uh cleanse >> a good face cleanser. a good face moisturizer and then a sunscreen on the top. That's very minimal.
(41:39) And if you are going to office or you're working, a thin layer of foundation is not going to do any harm. >> I'm here promoting makeup companies but because we we don't sell makeup but it's not going to do any harm. That's also a myth that you know too much of makeup, too much of foundation. Oh no, this not going to do any harm.
(41:57) >> But make sure of course you take it off properly at night. >> Yes. Yes. So a thin layer of foundation, a bit of uh blush, you look nice. >> Uh it won't harm your skin. And those are basic basic which you can do. >> And at night a similar regimen or >> no in again you have to reapply your sunscreen if you can.
(42:16) And no at night I'm saying before >> at night again a cleanser if you have makeup you have to double cleanse. You can use an oil and because you have to, you know, use an emollient you said like she was using back then >> for your mascara and for your eye makeup >> and a cleanser and again a moisturizer and a serum to seal it, >> right? >> So again, >> but what about the um hyaluronic acid and what about the retinols and what about all the >> Yeah, that serum can be one of the retinols when it could be hyaluronic because after 40s like you need a very
(42:46) good hydration. So good hyaluronic acid serum. For me, I I should look for a serum that has >> and a retinol. >> See, retinol wrinkles in the lines. >> Yeah, retinol I think it doesn't suit everyone and especially if you keep using it for like 7 days, you will see your skin starts getting sensitive. Right. Red.
(43:05) >> Yeah. Red also. So, you can do it like you know >> uh once in a while. Not once in a while. Uh >> alternate days. >> Alternate days. Yes. Alternate days. Okay. >> And I for me like retinol I don't it doesn't suit me. So I use like twice in a week. That's it. >> But I'm saying even so you should use it but you should use it twice a week and in your 40s.
(43:25) >> Yes. Yes. >> Okay. >> So you know as a brand or as a company you have to try so many things and it's very easy for anyone to judge you know sitting across like why you did this why you shouldn't have done that. >> But you keep trying so many things because you're not sure what's going to work and see the situation right now.
(43:45) uh just think as a founder or think as a brand owner what to do >> OTT is there there is a separate TT who watches OTT you know as a founder how to promote your brand it's not that easy you have right now just look at the choices you have OTT right a different TG u genz or millennials then you have um u TV >> yes >> right HSM or normal TV >> again a very expensive medium which is the tier two, tier three people who are watching then you have news channels.
(44:17) >> Yes. >> So India news channels are like entertainment channels and >> they are not Yeah. then IPL. >> So this is one area and then of you come to digital, you have performance marketing, you have meta ads, then you have to ATL, BTL activities, you have holdings, you have billboards, you have posters, you have >> I feel like you're deterring anyone from entering the skin industry.
(44:39) Now >> I'm just talking about the entire BPC uh you know category. So it's very difficult for us to decide what we should do, what we shouldn't do, what worked for us, what didn't work for us and what is right or what is wrong. >> But I'm obviously it'll be a learning process and you have to have the resilience and the funds to take you through the highs and the lows.
(45:00) What has been for example the biggest learning for you? Something that you would not do again or something you felt like this didn't work out. >> So many things you know in uh in in my because my journey was long like you know 15 years. So many mistakes launching wrong products, launching it too early. The market is not ready.
(45:20) >> What was the market not ready for? >> So we launched a product range for teenagers >> in 2016 17 I think. Yes. And I think it was too early to launch something for teenagers because normal people normal age people were not using anything. So how do you expect a teenager to use and of course uh online wasn't there.
(45:40) So you have to take permission from mom. >> Right. right? How will you buy? Where the money would come from? Right now you're buying, kids are buying from blanket or you know all these Yeah. Quickcommerce, anything they want. And they have access to at least 500 rupees to,000 rupees. >> Even if you talk about tier 2, tier three cities, >> but uh back then uh it that was not the case.
(46:02) You have to ask your your mom was a decision maker for your skin, >> right? As as as she should be [laughter] >> I feel until you reach a certain age maybe 16 18. >> Yes. Yes. >> Or older than that. Like I have a friend Niranja. She asks a question on every podcast that we do and it tends to be a sort of provocative one and she her question for today was just that the skincare industry tends to feed on insecurity and sort of the care has gone out of skincare and right now you have people who are anxious they either want to be more fair now they want the Korean
(46:29) glass skin >> uh and it's being promised to them lots of people are making promises whether they're unrealistic goals like you told us a little bit about how a lot of brands at scale sell fairness are selling them on the basis of damaging false promises. So the your skin people have forgotten what it is that it's an organ that you should respect it that the primary um purpose of it is to act as a barrier.
(46:54) So what are some of the other unrealistic um I suppose standards that the beauty industry and perhaps we as actors, films, advertisers are perhaps guilty of perpetuating that standard. Um what are some of the other unrealistic standards? So first let's talk about K beauty. Yeah, >> they have done a fantastic job to be very honest as a brand you know let me go back to 2010.
(47:20) I remember how Kotra is Korean organization for trade >> right. >> Uh so they used to reach out to different distributors in India back then I'm talking about to you know represent their brands in India. So they were so active >> they really you know the the it's a whole you know what do you call um the system you know yes >> they help you to promote. Yes.
(47:39) So it's not like India you know if you have to sell Indian skincare abroad there's no help from anywhere they they have K-pop they have K beauty they have K food they have K drama >> so they understand soft power >> and they and they are penetrating the market in a very softer way and you are just not understanding but slowly you know it's everywhere >> but I feel like perhaps we're getting there you know we're talking about yoga we're talking about Ayurveda we're talking about and we're taking it yes >> um abroad especially when it comes to
(48:06) skinare um I But you won't get glass skin. No way. >> Yeah. So tell me about the unrealistic. >> Yeah. >> Glass skin is no way. One that's all filters which they show it on uh you know on different um on Insta and all that. Those are filters that you know glossy uh skin. It's just impossible, right? And I remember in one party I met this female and she said, you know, a friend of mine, she went to Korea, Soul and uh she's now looking 5 years younger uh and she spent just uh I think three or four lakh rupees. I said if this is
(48:41) the case and I think the whole whole Bollywood would be like flying every day to Korea. >> Right. >> Right. Because everyone is so obsessed to look young. We all want to look young >> and five years is a good number. >> Yes. So that was funny. So [gasps] >> I think we are very obsessed with Korean glass skin and the way Korean looks.
(48:59) In fact, I said why are you looking at their skin? Why don't you look at their body? >> Right? So if you have to if you want to achieve that skin, you should also achieve their body, >> right? >> So one is genetics, >> right? >> Their genes are like that. And it's not Korea. If you go to Vietnam, you go to, you know, all Chinese, the Mongolian uh people, right? the Mongolian blood right >> it's they all have amazing skin right >> and it's in Malaysia the Chinese descent it's in Thailand it's Vietram I just said Indonesia if you go so whoever has
(49:32) come from that this is genes >> again the food the climate it's cold and dry in Korea so a lot of things which actually you cannot achieve that it's not possible and topical application some creams and emulsions and ointments won't give you that skin >> do we have um as Indians any kind of uh thing that we can be proud of or is and say that oh you know this is our strength like I feel my mother's skin is great and she said oh it's my Bengali jeans >> of we have very good skin >> but we're also very diverse no as a
(50:01) climate >> very diverse >> regional specific >> the best part is we tan we don't burn >> so we have thick skin >> thick skin in all the ways right so we are strong people >> so we have thick skin which is good right uh we don't we don't burn we tan so that's why we have very less skin cancer in India it's hardly you know hardly any number if you compare with our ratio of population right >> so it's because uh and again you know it's it's it's hilarious but you know pollution >> you know actually it protects the UVA
(50:32) and UVB to pass through >> that's true [laughter] so that protects us >> right like if you go to Australia there's a hole in the ozone layer and people are burning and being more susceptible to skin cancer but I mean um pollution I suppose serves a certain uh but I think we all have a habit to chase something which we cannot achieve.
(50:51) We all want to look much younger. We want to go back to our 30s. I think that's very human to think like that. So achieving Korean glass skin or to look like an American or a European fairer skin, >> but is the blonde hair, you know, that's just >> but the skincare industry I feel is feeding into that uh the anxiety and the neighbors envy um all of that the grass is green on the other side instead of perhaps trying to be a little more responsible.
(51:21) So as a woman, as an entrepreneur, does that drive you in some way? >> So I always talk about skin health. Always in every podcast, conferences, panels, always talk about skin health. That skin is not only about face. Yes. >> Stop thinking about your face. You know, think about your whole body. Yeah. As the largest organ of your body.
(51:39) So it it requires some care and I I mentioned right it takes only if you calculate uh 10 to 12 minutes >> and some money to look after your skin and some very minimal money >> if you are not going for those expensive skinare products just the normal ones affordable ones and it's hardly any money I think that much your skin deserves >> absolutely one thing that I wanted to try and clear up if it's possible was that a lot of people feel that um the way way that our grandparents did it in terms of even the foods we eat and the
(52:12) things the DIY natural things that we did dup and the face packs and the chandan and the haldi and all of that a lot of people see great merit in that um and if we tell them um for example on a podcast that we did that you know you should only eat what's in your kitchen don't put it on your face they don't like that um >> the importance of having dermatology science or an ingredient that is a pharmaceutical ingredient that might help your skin along.
(52:43) Is that something that we can talk about and embrace or is are those natural DIY um skin care regimes that people follow enough? They are not enough at all. And I'm actually I'm don't endorse at all DIYs and I think not a good idea. And again the natural and chemical it's again such a conf so much confusion. People think anything natural they can just gobble it you know eat it as much as you can apply it as much as you can I don't think it's healthy no >> it's it's very scary you cannot apply you know paste of cinnamon or clubs on
(53:17) your face and it it might burn you right >> right and it might leave a leave pigmentation on your face >> right >> so that's natural as a lemon you know vinegar these are things that we should be wary of uh and perhaps not just make our own concoctions in the kitchen and apply them >> no No, no, no.
(53:37) See, all chemicals, our skincare example, it's backed by science. There's so much of evidence. There's so much of documents. So, I am not against natural products, but there they should be backed by evidence. And if you see all these DIY hacks, you know, coming on FB all the time, >> they never tell you how much quantity, >> how much how long it's going to, you know, take to show you some results, >> some visible results.
(53:59) If it never mentions anything like that, >> right? >> Right. How many people did it, >> right? what age group has done it, what part of India has been using it for such a long time, right? >> They never mention all those things, it should be mentioned, right? if you really want to promote natural products. I think that's an important thing that you said in terms of time also because I feel that a lot of products um again tell you this is going to work in two weeks where it's not possible and it's important I think to set realistic
(54:26) timelines also and to tell people how long they should use things for and follow it in a certain regimen and that you'll only get I think from certain trusted sources let's say but want to talk about quick fixes a little bit >> I think a lot of people when it comes to skincare now understand the cleansing the moisturizing the protection, the CMP, sometimes the treatment, but things happen when you wake up one day and you're going to a wedding or you're going to >> a red carpet, >> a pimple pops up.
(54:52) >> So, I'm thinking of two things. Maybe they're more. A pimple pops up, puffy eyes is another thing that suddenly you wake up either when you sleep too much or you haven't slept enough. >> I don't know which one causes it. >> Um, >> or when you sleep face down, which as a woman you should never do, but I find myself inevitably sleeping with my face down.
(55:10) >> I didn't know that to be honest. that that's not good for your skin >> or that I sleep like that. Which one didn't you know? >> The the face down >> apparently it's not good for your skin because it's just your lymphatic drainage and is that is that also not true because please tell me I can sleep like this and I'll be fine.
(55:25) Okay, >> you can definitely you can and talking about puffy eyes it can happen because of many reasons just not about your sleeping habits. Sometimes you oversleep right if sleep for 10 hours still you get puffy face puffy eyes right sleep less you get puffy eyes. I have uh slightly you know puffy eyes. Uh it's many reasons we are at on phone all the time.
(55:48) We actually stress those muscles a lot >> when you are staring at your laptop you're staring at the phone you're watching too much of TV. Just imagine one that muscles you're over you know overusing them >> but wouldn't that just make that mus doesn't that make you more lean than more? >> No no [laughter] see it's like inflammation >> right? Just like inflammation, right? You're going to gym and you are overusing a certain muscle.
(56:10) It's going to hurt a lot or it's going to get inflamed, right? >> It's something very similar. >> And also sometimes eating salt. >> Eating salt does. Yes. >> Like I went to Japan and I came back with puffy eyes that lasted two weeks >> and soy sauce. It has a lot of sodium. Yeah. So it definitely it can cause puffy eyes.
(56:26) >> Okay. So quick fixes. One for that pimple that pops up. >> So pimple won't go next day. Please. It won't go next day at least it has it will take three to seven days to completely vanish but you can apply a small dot there we have two three products uh >> what is the ingredient that you need >> salicylic acid >> salicylic acid >> or benzol peroxide >> right >> it works extremely well just use a dab of the gel and be okay with it >> because more you know you fiddle with it it's going to >> uh leave marks right
(57:00) >> right leave really bad marks >> so just leave it alone Don't try and pop it. It can. Yes. So that's one. And um you can conceal it if you are really worried about it with some makeup. That's fine for some time for 2 three hours and you can wash it off. >> And now you get those patches also know that you can try and conceal it.
(57:18) >> But they don't work actually to be very honest. No, but they're very popular with kids because they find it fancy, you know, >> and shapes and and not just skills. >> Yes. Yes. >> But they don't work. Why? because they don't get uh you know enough uh air to breathe right >> you actually clog the pore you just clog it so it won't heal on its own >> interesting >> sometimes you know it's a very small wound if you'll see right so it will heal on its own >> okay the puffy eyes are there any quick fixes >> ice >> Ice
(57:47) >> and cucumber you can make a paste >> gr it green tea saches yeah you can come put it in the fridge and you can use >> caffeine I think the caffeine is an ingredient that sometimes It's very symptomatic, you know, for some time, but ice is good. >> Okay. >> Um, I want to come back a little bit to the anti-aging because that's something that, um, I understand is a big deal that people are again trying to achieve.
(58:12) We're talking about pro-agging. We're talking, of course, about embracing just the experience that comes with the years that you've lived, embracing some of those wrinkles and lines that come. But it is not easy sometimes. Um, all of us, you know, we look at ourselves in the mirror.
(58:30) women are anyway judged harder than men. Yes. >> Um and again then the film industry and the glamour industry presents perhaps inauthentic images and you think okay this person is not aging at all. What's happening to me and perhaps I can emulate what's what they're doing. What would you say to someone who comes to you with aging as a concern? um which will allow them to feel good to look good to try and combat some of the you know I'm trying to think of a kinder word than the evils of aging.
(59:01) So I I'll tell you something. Majority of them they are not very good listeners. Majority of them you know they are like you know really want to reverse it >> and they are so desperate about it. I have some friends and some people whom I know they come to me and they ask tell me something I tell me just give me something I want to go back >> right >> they I just want to you know turn around the clock which is just not possible right you it's it's not a disease like you have to cure it.
(59:26) >> It's something you have to be with it. So you can look good right but after a certain age you just cannot pull your skin up you know with a hook it's not possible right so you you can apply some very good moisturizers up to let's say 60 you can still manage right >> after that I think your skin really starts sagging quite a bit and then too much of botox or too many of fillers start showing >> and anyone can make out like you have over you overdid Right? And there are certain areas which you cannot actually
(1:00:01) overdo also. So you know cert then your start face looks a bit deformed. Right? >> Because especially the socket eye socket area you cannot have too many fillers there you know right our jaw you know this this things. So Indians have this habit of our face starts going down. So really we want to pull it up right.
(1:00:20) So each and every you know uh skin type has its own problem like you know European skin, American skin they have very thin skin. >> Yes. >> It's not like you I just mentioned about thick skin. They're very thin skin. So if you see they are wrinkled very early. Yes. >> They have a lot of wrinkles. They have crow feet >> right? They wrinkle really early and we Indians we have this skin going down you know because it's a heavy skin.
(1:00:43) >> It's a thick heavy skin. It starts going down. >> Okay. So I think just be happy and uh it's more about I think being fit also >> right >> right you exercise go to gym eat well good nutrition so even fixed derma or FCL skincare we have a premium skincare brand both won't help you know there are topical applications you have to have this holistic thing you know you have to >> there no shortcuts >> no shortcuts like next morning or after one week you start look looking you know 10 years younger that's not going to
(1:01:15) happen. No way. >> I think the more one talks about just >> um acceptance. >> Yes. >> Um and people speak more openly and we have >> you know more authentic role models who talk about this and who show this in the way that they live and who are comfortable you know walking around like you know Karina for example.
(1:01:34) I feel like that's someone people really look up to because she's so authentic. Um she's comfortable posting very realistic pictures of herself where people can see that this is someone who's secure and confident. It's very easy to say also I think also because she's a superstar and perhaps if you are looking for you know other people who I mean I'm really struggling to think of people who I can look up to as real >> role models.
(1:01:59) Um I look at my mother, I look at Karina, I look at there are few I look at Kate Kate Winslett you know abroad and those are people who are speaking um walking the walk talking the talk and the more we have conversations like this where we just speak about acceptance perhaps it'll normalize certain things >> um when it comes to unrealistic expectations again another thing that people are spending money on uh and taking money out of their budgets to do whether they can afford it or not become secondary are the drips and there's been a lot of talk also So on these wellness
(1:02:29) drips um they are anti-aging drips uh as somebody who has research in this area and experience like what would you say to somebody who would say I want to take a drip too look younger feel younger antioxidants that come with a side effect apparently apparently the that's a side effect and not the intended goal of fairness >> see once in a while taked is fine Like you know people are doing it in weddings.
(1:02:59) >> Yeah. >> Just to feel you know get feel more energetic and you know glowing skin. They're not looking very tired and puffy. So they are doing it once in a while just you know fashion it's it's fine but I don't think you should make it a habit. Definitely it's going to have c certain side effects and uh for fairness uh it's been there for ages.
(1:03:20) Uh people have been taking rut um people have been taking rutathion ribs right and you have to take it regularly to bring your certain shades down and we have so many celebrities right if you see their past pictures and their present pictures there's a huge difference >> in their skin complexion right >> so it's not some kind of a surgery or they have not changed their you know a layer of their skin it's nothing like that right some people have some weird imagination that how Say you know something miraculous has happened and
(1:03:51) there the complete sheet has been changed but actually it's the drips and you have to take regular dose of it for a certain period of time and you have to keep taking it otherwise when you stop taking it all >> reverses because of the melanin and >> Yes. Yes. Yes. Okay. So I feel like these are important things to flag to people who may not have the awareness um and who may go into doing a lot of these things at great personal cost financial and otherwise.
(1:04:19) uh and then they don't get the intended results. So I think a little bit of education goes a long way. Yes. >> Um coming back to fixed derma uh I wanted to talk about the fact that it's doing incredibly well from 2010 to now. There's been great acceleration uh and growth I think now 275 crores of net worth um more than 30 countries.
(1:04:38) So that uh turning point for you if you can touch on what was the moment of growth acceleration uh and then the experience of being a global brand. I wanted to ask about the fact that my friends when they look at India and they look at beauty or they look at wellness they know about Ayurveda and they know about haldi and they know about they know a few things.
(1:05:00) Um but to take a dermat dermatological brand international which is free of ayurvea um isn't that difficult as a as a challenge extremely difficult I think extremely difficult because you know we are uh known for ayurvea you just said right so whenever they think about India they think about those incense sticks temples bells and you know anything all about tradition and flowers and so thinking about a company like us it's not you know they don't even think of they can't relate to it.
(1:05:33) So we have to actually work 10 times more uh than any other brand. When we are you know in any exhibition we participate in most of the exhibitions and across the world we are just going to stumble on 5th 6th 7th May uh we'll be there putting up our stall. So we have to really work very hard because the trust is not there >> with Indian brands and uh and they can't relate.
(1:05:55) >> Mhm. >> So but it's it has been a long journey. We have really established ourself and all our distributors they follow the same channel meeting the dermatologist they prescribe the products and then they are available in the chemist shops. So they are also following the same channel but uh they have done a good job so far and you know this one more question somebody asked us about the present you know the war scene right so are you getting affected we are not getting affected reason being we are not selling sugar and rice we are not
(1:06:26) selling commodity we are selling a brand and all the distributors they are you know working on the brand they can just they they just can't leave us tomorrow >> because they have worked so hard to establish our brand in their country and Indian brand in their country >> right >> so I have a lot of respect for our distributors also >> right >> but you know it gives us a lot of pride when we see Indian brand sitting on the shelf in Saudi Arabia it's a very aware and the whole world knows about their you know their spending yes right they
(1:06:56) have a crazy spending power and when you see an Indian brand sitting on the shelf there next to the multinational brands local brands neighboring brands and K beauty you know and doing well So that gives us crazy pride like we have done something. Our formulations are extremely good. >> So is it the formulations like I'm saying what sets you apart? >> It's the formulations.
(1:07:16) It is the formulations. We have very interesting formulations. I spoke about niggrifix. Nobody ever thought about it. So you won't uh believe that we have queries from China and Korea >> because nobody has you know formulated a product like nigriix. They never thought about it. >> Right. [clears throat] >> Another product which we have is a foot cream.
(1:07:36) So it's more than a crackill cream. Generally people always focus on crack heels. So it's more than a crack heel. It's about tingling sensation in your feet and you know you feel hot >> in the night. They're cold feet in the night. So it actually balances everything. So that product is extremely good. So no one thinks about it and the multinationals always think about some you know a bigger TAM a target should be very big the target market right.
(1:07:59) So they never think about this niche areas so that you're safe >> right >> and you have queries. So whenever we put our stalls, people just come to our you know stall and ask us about these products. Our FCL skin care range has skin brightening complex. We have eye refining matrix. The names are like very complex and interesting and they are very targeted products you know.
(1:08:19) >> Why did you decide to launch a premium line? >> Uh see uh Fixma is a mass premium range and FCL skin care is more of a premium range and it's a doctor's favorite. Uh so we wanted to launch something for dermatologist specifically for them and most of the products are you know white and blue in color uh very uniform packaging and they really love it.
(1:08:44) Uh very very interesting face masks. We have they don't dry they remain wet. So we have uh PBA mask is PHA BHA HA red clay mask right. >> Uh we actually import red oxide. >> Uh it's a volcano. Yeah. So some very interesting product range we have. I think that's the reason we were able to you know crack the international market.
(1:09:08) >> Yeah. Um and uh it's a good percentage of our total revenue right now. It's almost 25%. And we are growing and you know the best part what I feel is as an Indian brand we are able to crack these markets. Imagine Vietnam is our fastest growing market. It's uh it has a porous border from China. >> Their skin is very similar to Korea, >> right? They have their own local brands and it's a very aware and mature market and they're uh they had European brands since ages. Right.
(1:09:41) Right. And we were able to crack >> and some of our products are doing extremely well there are our sunscreens. >> Right. >> So >> what would you say um was the moment of acceleration for you >> and what was that sparked by? So um I was actually speaking to a dermatologist also a few days back in a party and they they he was a bit unhappy.
(1:10:00) There were couple and they were saying why did you move out of the dermatologist you know room uh outside right I said uh the reason was we are a Delhi based example we are gura based company and reaching to misoram reaching to tribandram wise you know gojhati was not easy through dermatologist it's a very long and tedious journey you have to have a team >> who goes and meets all these doctors promotes the products and slowly the product comes on the prescription.
(1:10:32) It's a very it's really hard work you know knocking at each and every door and not always a door is open for you. >> Sure. >> Right. You have to knock it like four, five, six times to enter into it. So it takes a long time. I said we had to step out because we wanted to grow and we wanted the brand to be known. >> Right.
(1:10:49) >> Um and that was the reason and when we went online and then uh we really rock it. I mean >> that's what I wanted to ask you when e-commerce came into e-commerce. It was e-commerce actually then the presence actually when we were present on Amazon and all these marketplaces uh people were really looking for it and the most interesting part for us was it was like a circle right when we started people were really buying um crappy products you know colorful with wonderful fonts and you know something which is more
(1:11:21) sensorial right >> with good fragrance and now it's a complete 360° turn >> now people are after dermatology brands uh more efficacious where the ingredients are mentioned and how the formulation is made. So it was good news for us >> right? So the consumer is more savvy now >> much more savvy much more savvy >> and the best part with us the major differentiation is our own manufacturing unit which we had started in 2013 >> right >> uh so so many people asked this question I remember when we were looking for a
(1:11:55) bit of a funding in 2019 back then so some of them said why do you spend all the money on the manufacturing unit you should have spent the same money on marketing on your top line because the idea that time was of topline time, right? >> Nobody was looking at profits, >> right? >> So, everyone was looking at numbers and our numbers was very small that time, >> right? >> So, why did you spend all the money on mark on your manufacturing unit, >> right? >> So, we just wanted to have a full control on our formulation,
(1:12:22) >> right? >> Because when Yeah. >> You know exactly what is going in the standard >> 100%. Yes. Because you know, you can get hyaluronic acid for a certain price. You can get micronized zinc oxide which is used in sunscreen for a certain price and it's a huge difference on one tenth of a difference right sometimes but using the right ingredient is only going to you know perform on your skin >> sure >> the formulation yes >> sure what does the future look for you and fixer >> great amazing very bright >> because I see a huge scope in so many
(1:12:56) areas we can go >> yes >> you know skin dryness you have been talking Right. >> I've been talking a lot about skin >> and you are actually connecting only it with your hormonal imbalance right now. Right. And because of per menopause aging but you have no idea skin dryness is so much connected with even medication >> who yeah all patients any type of patient uh who's inbound inside the hospital outside is a diabetic or let's say going through cancer >> so many diialysis they all have scary dry skin >> right >> you know you can if you put a nail
(1:13:33) through it might you know make a cut >> wow >> that bad right so that awareness has to happen and even lifestyle air conditioning. >> Yes, they need to apply a heavy moisturizer there. >> So, I'll tell you one uh we are actually uh making um >> is this the product that you're going to that you're in the process of? >> So, I'll tell you a very interesting story.
(1:13:56) So, we have our videographer in office and he said my sister was uh visiting from Australia and she has a tub of uh moisturizer and she said it's finished. So she said can I get something similar? [snorts] >> So he said we make it. She was very surprised. I said no fixama we make this we make this product right. >> So then we gave her three four tubs.
(1:14:21) And then the idea came to my mind that you know if Australia can give it free they give it free in hospitals. So whoever gets uh signs for admission or has come there for any kind of you know consultation get that top free. >> Wow. >> To use it. So I got this idea why don't we bring out something similar and try to promote >> and it's doing extremely well.
(1:14:43) We have just launched it last this winter only or in September and I gave it oneplus 1 scheme on purpose. So many people told me it looks so good and so effective. Why are you I said I just want it to enter the house. So that hydration is >> very very important. So we are also now talking to certain hospitals.
(1:15:01) So there are so many gray areas right of skin care. So whenever these new companies or startups think about skin they are only after those serums >> right >> like you know they launch some three four serums some cream some some some which is very trendy >> right >> and that's not going to last because see if >> if Gita is thinking yes >> of a certain product sitha is also thinking the same thing >> right >> and retita is also thinking the same thing >> then where's the differentiator >> right >> and then they are not able to launch it
(1:15:30) or not able to sustain right >> the brand because they are not thinking beyond face. I aside I want to ask why don't these big generally like you know in America you get these big jars refills and things that seem cost effective why don't we have products in those sizes >> I really love this question because I have spoken about it before so just imagine so if you can find a one lit you know or 2 lit moisturizing lotion >> in India >> no you won't >> why >> because we are not using it >> but don't aren't we price sensitive
(1:16:02) >> we won't be able to sell it >> no because still skin care we are just taking baby steps again >> we don't take it seriously [snorts] >> the percentage you're talking about who use a moisturizer on daily basis a very small percentage they don't think it's a daily need >> so I think this kind of hydration tub that that people get for free will at least start >> yeah we're not giving it for free we giving it away they will prize yeah but we want to at least people to start and understand it's going to help them so I'll tell you
(1:16:33) one more thing what happened So they we had few leftover tubs in the factory and one of my uh relative he goes through diialysis. So I sent him >> like six tubs and he gave it free to certain patients inside the diialysis room. >> Uh [snorts] because there are 500 ml tubs in Australia which we sent. >> Um so the doctor uh you know he put the label on the notice board.
(1:16:59) If you can find it anywhere please buy it. >> So imagine there is so much of requirement. So much need. >> Yeah. So much need but of course the entry barrier is high to enter into a hospital. So whatever easy people startups think about going online. So you can tomorrow or maybe in this evening you can start a business online >> right you don't have to do much >> right >> you can sell anything. Yeah.
(1:17:21) >> So the if the entry barrier is low for you it can be for anyone >> right. Wow. This I didn't actually realize that uh we're only scratching the surface when it comes to consumers of skinare in India. And you must have seen 500 ml 1,000 ml of sunscreen. >> Yes. >> Imagine we have just started using sunscreen and so many of influencers started saying is endocrine disruptor.
(1:17:43) It goes into this and it's going to you know disrupt the barrier reef. We don't we don't even swim. We do. How many of us know swimming? >> I understand. >> Right. We don't have the facility in schools and colleges >> right. No, but the point is very important that sunscreen is very important to use.
(1:18:03) It's a very important protection that we should all use and perhaps we should not get swayed by some talk that has started noise that it's not good for us etc. Do your research, go to your dermat. Uh sunscreen is important. >> Yes. >> Okay. Um last question. What perhaps is one myth that you would like to correct? >> That overnight you will become Cleopetra [laughter] which is not going to happen.
(1:18:25) Nothing is going to be done like overnight. You cannot, you know, change your complexion. You cannot change your skin tone. You cannot close your pores. You cannot, you know, it it takes time. You have to be slow and patient with your skin because if you are harsh and you want quick fixes, you'll make mistakes again. >> Just like your life, right? You make mistakes and then it's again you have to fix it, >> right? >> You're going back to square one to fix it, >> right? >> So, one problem you have solved, but you have made, you know, another mistake.
(1:18:54) So, >> yeah, >> very wise. Yeah. >> Um I feel uh for me again that's been a takeaway that we think we're trying to help our skin but everything is inflammation then especially if you're doing it in an aggressive way. You're looking for a quick fix. It's going to cause inflammation and that's going to show up in a way that is not desirable perhaps later.
(1:19:13) So I want to again thank you again for coming on to the podcast. I think we've had a very um varied conversation which some of it has been philosophical about beauty um and about standards. Some of it has been very specific about what we should look for in the product. Some of it has been about advice for entrepreneurs. So I think there have been lots of takeaways for me and hopefully for people listening as well. But thank you.
(1:19:33) Thank you so much. >> And thank you for building a brand which has trust at the core, you know, incredibly. >> Thank you so much. But you have an excellent skin. But by >> Thank you for saying that. And uh I hope you're not just saying that because No, >> thank you. I think your skin is also wonderful by the way. >> Thank you so much. So this is for you.
(1:19:48) We completed 15 years. >> Oh, congratulations. >> Thank you. >> Lovely. So this will have lots of things that going to be make me. >> Yes. This is all the moist range. I want you to give it to your mom. >> Okay. Lovely. She's >> honestly. And that's body wash. It's for very >> for very very very very very very [laughter] >> honestly that's how you wanted to stalk and somebody was laughing and very very >> Yeah. Thank you so much.
(1:20:18) I think my biggest takeaway from this conversation has really been that the future of skinincare lies in less fear, less confusion and less overuse of products. And at the same time, it calls for more as well. More education, more trust and more respect, I think, for our skin, which is actually our largest organ. And our skin, I think, should not be viewed as a problem to be fixed.
(1:20:42) It's something that needs to be understood and something that we should respect. The goal is to support our skin in doing what it already knows best, protecting and repairing itself by maintaining a healthy skin barrier. Because when we shift from fixing our skin to respecting it, I think that's when skinincare truly evolves.
(1:21:03) So I do want to thank Shelley so much for just being here today, for sharing your journey with all of us, sharing your insights with all of us. And um I think I learned a lot. To everyone watching, if you enjoyed this episode, please don't forget to like, to share, and to subscribe to All About Her. [music]
No comments:
Post a Comment