(9) The Power of Awareness: Unlocking Inner Peace & true Self🌹a discussion with seeker🌹Kanthrisa
Author Name:kanthrisa wisdom
Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@kanthrisawisdom
Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvNvUu2hV2Q
Transcript:
(00:00) Okay, go ahead. What is the topic? >> I want to ask you that how can we be aware. Okay. So to understand awareness we have to understand two or three other things acts as well because awareness is of the mind. Observation is of the mind. Contemplation is of the mind. Witnessing is of the mind. Ignoring is of the mind.
(00:36) Overthinking is also of the mind. So these are all the states of the mind. But but the entire spiritual spectrum all great masters have been talking about be aware bring awareness into life. So what is awareness? First of all, we have to understand that the moment you are born, the awareness is also born along with you.
(01:04) You cannot be separated from your awareness. Like the moment you are born, you you start breathing. Right. >> Yes. >> And the breathing continues whether you pay attention to it or you don't pay attention to it. In the same way, awareness is there. So, every entity on planet earth is aware of something. For example, there is a deer in the forest.
(01:27) It is aware of its surroundings. >> Yes. >> A person is doing a job. He's aware of his boss. A soldier is uh doing duty somewhere in the border. He is aware of u >> the security. >> A security and >> environment. Yeah. >> Yeah. Encroachment. [clears throat] >> Yeah. >> Or incendiaries and all that. So without awareness life does not exist.
(01:54) This is the first principle. There is no such thing called uh now I want to be aware only awareness actually >> realization is the word >> that is a different thing that is different realization is also another phenomena >> so don't club these words okay >> so awareness is totally uh is one of the most important thing uh or important aspects of human mind so we have to understand slowly otherwise We may misunderstand the significance of awareness and we may just doing something else and we just give title to it as I'm aware of
(02:33) something. So without awareness you cannot survive. Every person has awareness. Every person is aware of something. Sometimes he's beware of something when fear factor comes. Otherwise awareness is there. The only thing is when person is born and he's fed with the worldly phenomenas. He is partially aware of life.
(03:01) So he's not paying attention to the life but he's paying attention to the external factors. He may be aware of the money. He may be aware of his wife. He may be aware of his pride. He may be aware of the religion, the scripture and all that. But he has forgotten who the hell is he. So he has lost um the core of awareness.
(03:24) Now he is having partial awareness. So this is the first step. So we all have awareness. If you are okay with it then we go a little further. >> Yes, I'm okay with that. >> There is no dispute. >> No dispute. >> So what is the difference between observation and awareness? >> Shall I? >> Yeah. way. Yeah, I asked. >> Okay.
(03:50) Uh so, >> so let me put that question in a simplest way. So, how do you know that you are observing and how do you know that you are being aware of something? What is the distinctive difference between these two activities? Both are of the mind. In both the ways, you are not doing anything with the body.
(04:17) But what is that difference the thin line? Because many people they actually misunderstand observation with awareness particularly wness. It's quite deep I have to think. >> Yeah. because we we have never gone into the dimension the true meaning of uh >> each word and how that is uh relevant to us. >> So we always use one word or other to convey something.
(04:59) Sometimes I'm observing something, I'm aware of something but actually the person have no clue whether he is observing and whether he is aware of something or is he witnessing So the same thing a moment you are witnessing another moment you are observing and another moment you are aware of it. >> Yes. >> So for example you are sitting at at a what do you call um campfire.
(05:38) Okay. So when you are observing the campfire, you are looking at the colors. You're looking at the beauty of the campfire and the surroundings. That is observation. So observation mind is actively involved with the surroundings and at that time you are actually taking your past into consideration. You are thinking something about that particular thing which you are paying attention to. That is observation.
(06:09) That's why when patient is there on the bed, doctor says that he is uh there on observation. So doctor actually looking at him, thinking about him what kind of medicine should to be to give and what kind of injection you know all that. So observation means you're actually thinking in a in a in a way whether it is right thinking or wrong thinking that's a different matter.
(06:35) But you are thinking. Yes. >> So observation simply means you are also trying to understand when you are witnessing something you are not trying to understand anything at all. For example a person sitting by the side of a patient a person is observing means he is thinking about the person the patient. The another person he says I'm witnessing he's simply looking at the person whether he's suffering or whether he is sleeping whether he is awake he's just looking at it without making a penny any stories in the mind
(07:15) so this is the difference between witnessing and observation >> and [clears throat] somewhere in the middle comes awareness unknowingly or unknowingly we are all doing that every day. >> How do we define that somewhere in the middle? >> Ah for example, now you are sitting with the campfire. >> You are when you are observing you are simply thinking about that campfire talking about it. Yes.
(07:45) 10 days 10 years ago we came here we also had a campfire like this. The past came into picture and so the observation. So how to keep the campfire alive and all that? Witnessing means you are just sitting by the side of the campfire. Whether campfire is burning or it is fading away, extinguished, you are not really bothering about it.
(08:10) You are just there and you are witnessing whatsoever is happening around. That's why in the court also people the prosecutor calls a witness not the observer. >> Yes. Witness simply means he's just stating whatsoever is happen happening in front of his eyes. He's not creating any story out of it. >> Yes. >> He's not making any more.
(08:33) [clears throat and cough] [snorts] >> So tell me something. one query is uh coming up >> that uh let's say for instance uh I am lying uh on my rooftop >> just relaxing >> looking at the stars >> which and suddenly I see a a meteor or a comet which I have not seen ever in my life >> okay how do I know it's a meteor or a comet that I have studied the comet is like this meteor is like somewhere in the book >> okay >> so I see that going how the flash is how how what is the length of that? >> So what will I call it? Will I call it a
(09:16) observation or will I call it a witness? >> That is observation. >> How it is observation? >> Because already you have read somewhere you have taken that into consideration from >> okay. So when there is past memory involved obviously then that means we'll call it observation. >> So mind is actively involved in whatever is happening is observation and in witnessing mind is not at all involved.
(09:39) We are just mind is sitting on the bench. >> All right. >> For example, observation. I have seen a pen falling off from my hand and my mind says that pen is cost and this and that. Yes. Witnessing means I have seen pen falling from my hand. I'm not making a penny story. I have just seen it is falling from the hand. That's all. No story.
(10:06) >> Understood. I think understood it. >> So witnessing is the only remedy to get rid of rid of the mind. The observing mind always um gets lot of uh emotional imbalances, mood swings >> because whatsoever you are perceiving through that observation that impacts your present moment. So witnessing means whatever is happening around you the whole galaxy or your parents or your kids you are just looking at them.
(10:48) If something is good, it is you are just looking that goodness. Something is gone. You say it's gone. Something came and you just see that something came. You are not questioning the activity around you. >> You are not poking your mind into that activity that is witnessing. So will I be right in saying that whatever knowledge we gather through our sense organs >> Mhm.
(11:17) >> eyes, nose, ear, uh tongue and skin >> that knowledge is all observing >> obviously >> or that is all observational knowledge >> obviously because you are not really gathering all the information which senses brought to you. There is a judgment also choice also. For example, you are watching a movie. Your eyes watched entire movie but you remember only two scenes.
(11:48) Why? Because you have a choice. I like comedy scenes. I like item song. >> Mhm. >> So only my mind is waiting for that particular song to come and whenever it comes it is absolutely looking at it. Otherwise it is in a passive mode. It doesn't care whatsoever happening in the movie. In the same way we really we don't really give a damn about everything happening around us because of our choice we are sucking the information into us.
(12:19) No, what if a what if a event happens wherein we don't have a choice and we receive that information through that event what I am saying is example >> first time in my life or a individual's life >> the individual is pinched >> okay >> got it >> so that individual doesn't know that when pinched it pins >> yes >> so that will be I observed that on pinching it pins Or should I say I witnessed that on pinching it pains because there is no past memory involved in this.
(12:57) >> Yeah. Observation the moment the pinching takes place your mind starts analyzing it. That's what observation is. >> Ah okay. >> That's all. >> Okay. >> Friendly mind it's like if if any >> so basically the crux is wherever the mind is getting involved >> that is observation. >> That is observation. >> So I'm not talking about good observation bad observation.
(13:17) Observation is observation. True. >> Witnessing simply means [clears throat] let whatsoever happen around you. You are there but your mind is not at all. For example, sometimes we witness physically. So you sit like this and you are not you have decided to not to touch anything. It is a physical witness. Observation means I took my hand.
(13:42) I just took it and kept it there. This is observation. So psychologically when you decided not to touch anything with your thought. >> Yes. >> That is witness. >> That is witness. >> So this is a totally different phenomena. But our subject is awareness. >> Yes. You said it is somewhere between witness and observation.
(14:00) >> So you are alive only because you are aware otherwise you will die. Every entity on planet earth is alive only because that entity is aware of something. For example, now let us come back to our first example that campfire. Yes. So now you just reached that place. Suddenly you started observing the campfire and around and you're talking about this observation. Yeah.
(14:28) The witnessing means you are just sitting there and you are not analyzing you are not sharing anything with in your mind. Whatsoever the ideas came into your mind you are also witnessing those thoughts. Whether it is internally or externally whatever is happening something is looking at it without getting involved that is witnessing.
(14:47) >> Yes. >> Awareness means how far you have to sit from campfire. Awareness decides. Nobody decides. So because of lacking awareness people are uh you know troubling their lives. >> So that awareness also will come with some impression of the past. Why I'm saying this that campfire is burning. So you said that how far I am supposed to sit from the campfire.
(15:25) >> No no no that moment you take a decision. >> So you are not even thinking where to sit. >> Impulsive decision. impulsive. So awareness is a life source actually. >> But that impulse is also based on the past uh past impressions. >> But that past is not that past is not interrupting the present moment. >> No, that is not >> it is not interrupting.
(15:51) >> Yeah. >> So awareness means it is one uh simple uh analysis. We'll go into it. The spiritual awareness is totally different. Mhm. >> So first we are talking about the the nitty-g gritties of awareness. So everyone is aware. So initially a person is a small kid. He doesn't know what to eat and what not to eat.
(16:14) So when he eat so even when he's alone he learns out of it and he never touches that again because his life force says that don't eat it will kill me. >> Yes. >> So that awareness actually uh protects him. So this is the protecting layer. Awareness is is a protecting layer around you. It is always around you.
(16:38) Whether you are walking on a street, whether you are doing a bungee jump, whether you are drinking, whether you are fighting with somebody. So something is protecting you. That is awareness. For example, someone took the knife, you are aware of it immediately. For example, you are suddenly arguing. your police personal came suddenly you stop arguing because because of awareness.
(17:01) So awareness simp simply protects you whether you use your mind or it is impulse doesn't matter. The only nature of awareness is to protect you. >> Okay. I am just thinking that what about animals are born >> like a puppy is born. So puppy they have a very strong sense of smell dogs. So when they smell I have seen some dogs having uh fruits also very relishingly and some dogs not having fruits.
(17:31) >> They they are conditioning instinctives >> because as far as uh apart from human being >> no entity on planet earth uh have any kind of conditionings. They are born with prescribed mind. >> Okay. They don't have the past impressions as >> they don't have any past impressions. If something uh terribly hit its body so those things uh becomes their biological memory otherwise they don't have have any uh past memories.
(18:05) So they came with for example you when you buy uh an Android phone it comes with operating system isn't it? >> Mhm. In the same way if a dog is born it is born with all instincts. So no dog ever learns anything new. And whether dog learns or don't learn, whether dog has observation capabilities or not, whether dog has the ability to witness or not, they are separate things.
(18:36) But dog is also aware of something. When a tiger comes, it recognizes. Mhm. when something of odd nature. So the the senses the already inbuilt mechanism dog has recognizes that that danger >> that inbuilt mechanism is stored where that is my >> that itself so we don't have to think stored where for example the Android phone we don't have to know where it has been stored all information it is there it is inbuilt because the mind is everywhere >> like we are dissecting for humans >> the dissecting that's what I'm saying it is stored in the brain only
(19:18) >> but brain is not the mind. So brain is in the head. Mind can be in New York also right now. >> For example, you have parked your car outside. Your mind lingers there also. Actually it is not lingering there. You have taken an image of car in your brain and the mind is looking at that particular thing. >> Yes. True.
(19:40) >> So one one old aged lie we have been fed up with. So mind goes faster than time. It can visit Taj Mahal and come back in a second. It's a lie. Mind never goes to anywhere. It always looks at the imagery in the brain. Already it has been showed uh stored. >> So that's a different part. >> So now everyone has awareness.
(20:08) Few people have right observation, few people have wrong observations. Few people know how to witness. People know don't know how to witness in the form of witnessing. They will be observing something. But there's a different human qualities. But as far as awareness some awareness is something it is not learning.
(20:29) It is already there. And the only protecting layer in your life is awareness. This is the first understanding. So spiritual and awareness is little different little different for example I am only aware of whatsoever I like for example I like my phone hence I'm aware of the phone whatsoever happens to the phone I'm I'm aware of it >> so suddenly rain comes immediately I can keep my phone inside because I'm giving a special importance in my mind hence I'm aware of that phone because The the nature of awareness is to protect.
(21:11) >> Yes, >> you protect that phone because you are aware of that phone. Maybe because of the cost, because of it is gifted by somebody or because if you like its color and whatsoever the texture. So this is general awareness. People are aware of something which they like. So this is general awareness.
(21:33) Everyone has even a small kid is aware of his toy and a mother is aware of her gold and father is aware of his binge car and son is aware of his cricket bet. It's called partial awareness >> also people are aware of things which they don't like. >> Same. So likes and dislikes they travel together.
(21:55) Hatred and love they travel together. You people you remember those people who love you and who hate you also. So that's a part and parcel of same phenomena. But what is spiritual awareness? >> No, I still did not understand the exact difference between awareness and witness. Can you just repeat? >> Witness simply means there is neither liking or disliking.
(22:15) >> Okay. You are not see when you are looking at something without imagining anything about that particular thing, without adding any of your thought process to it. You are just looking at it. That's all witnessing is over. >> So that is the finest states of your mind. >> So in awareness then uh when I am I know that the mobile will get wet and it will get spoiled. I am hiding this.
(22:44) >> That is a protecting layer. >> That is protecting layer. So this means that my mind is getting involved >> obviously >> in keeping the I call it partial awareness. So spiritual awareness is little different. We'll go into it. That is the last segment. So now the witness simply means now it is getting drenched.
(23:01) You are looking at it. Witnessing means almost samadhi. You are there absolutely alive. You are looking at it and even people say I have seen it. I have seen when it was good. I have seen when it got destroyed and I I have seen no traces of any thought process in my mind. That is witnessing. So can I say that observation out of these three concepts observation is the most crude >> then little subtle is witnessing.
(23:34) Sorry little subtle is uh awareness and the subtlest is witnessing. Can I say that? >> No you cannot say that. The reason why we cannot say that again it is a formula. So we are not discussing formulas. So observation is useful. For example, you have observed something in the past that people bought cars and they got deceived.
(24:06) So now that observation helps you. >> Yes. >> To buy a new car in a right way. So you will see the papers because that observation and you you are not only observing the body, you are looking at the engine also. That is observation. Witnessing means you are just looking at it. thought series the way you are looking at a healthy body you are looking at the dead body also in the same way not even a thought came in your mind even if any thought appears the way you are looking at those dead and alive bodies you are looking at those thoughts also you are always
(24:37) looking at something without getting involved with it is witnessing so I say witnessing everyone has to understand at least once in lifetime like swimming So once you understand swimming you don't have to step into the water again but whenever flood comes that is that is useful for you.
(24:58) Witnessing is the game changer in human beings life. You may involve into million things after understanding the witnessing. But the moment you decide so your mind comes to your heart because human being has forgotten that art of witnessing is always his mind is involved with something. It is starting analy it analyzes something.
(25:19) It contemplates. It makes stories. It adds it imaginations and it preconceived notions and it creates concepts. So he's so busy in the mind. So witnessing means for the first time you stepped out of your mind. That is also of the mind. It's like pure water and muddy water. Observation is muddy water. Pure water means water is there but you you whatsoever is there you able to see.
(25:54) So now awareness we all have a partial awareness like whatsoever because of choice a a kind of awareness is created and now you only care about them the same protecting layer for example a flood is coming >> and there is a boat and you want to save three people at what time what will you do there is you are one person so then that protecting layer comes into being because you have a choice So let me take my wife and mother.
(26:27) So they are the most important people. So now that protecting layer helps them to be protected. So that is there is no problem having partial awareness. Everyone has that. But spiritual awareness something you are looking at something without choice. >> So you give a example of the breath also. Mhm. >> So for breath how is it uh how does it apply? >> I mean the breath is happening.
(26:56) I know it is happening >> first time you are aware of the breath. >> Yeah. But what is the protective uh factor in this? >> So you are breathing and that awareness gives you the suggestion that never stop breathing. So you are alive only because of awareness not because you are witnessing witnessing a kind of understanding of the mind the highest pinnacle point that is a different matter.
(27:29) You don't have to understand witnessing but awareness we have to understand everything is important. You have to learn bicycle at the same time you have to learn car also. If helicopter is available you have to learn that also. So there is nothing wrong to understand the difference between observation and witnessing and awareness and partial awareness.
(27:49) Now you look at around the all these paintings. So now with this uh help of these paintings I'll explain to you practically how partial awareness and original awareness functions. >> Partial awareness and complete awareness. >> Original awareness. >> Okay. The complete awareness >> spiritual awareness complete awareness or original aware or divine awareness.
(28:17) You can what whatever you want. >> Okay. >> Now you are looking at the painting. You like red for example. So now you are only aware of those paintings. Rest you don't pay attention. So you have a choice through that lens you are looking at things. >> Now you are only aware. Aware means you are using without uh senses it is very difficult to be aware.
(28:48) That's why in the sleep there is no awareness. Though it is there awareness is felt when senses are active. So now you you since you like the red. So wherever the red color painting is there your senses get attracted towards it and you are aware of it. Slowly that awareness transforms into observation. The first thought is awareness for example.
(29:27) Now let us come back to our first original example campfire. The very first moment you are aware of the campfire and your mind already came to a conclusion without even thinking how far I have to sit. If at all I sit there then comes then you can just witness with awareness. You just sit little away and you don't have to make up any stories.
(29:49) But that awareness slowly transforms into thought process. >> So I like this campfire >> observation. >> Uh so I actually we use this kind of food. What kind of wood you use? >> So you don't have to pour kerosene into it that 10 years back something happened. First time I fell in love with my wife in the campfire only. [snorts] >> Now after that I my life became a hill something like [laughter] so. So this is gen.
(30:14) So now the same example you are you have a choice you like color red. >> Yes. >> And there are 50 paintings and in four or five paintings red color applied beautifully. So your partial awareness because of your senses the painting attracts that awareness because it is partial. So actually because of your senses and you pre-made choice and that both creates that instant awareness and you just looked at it from that observation begins.
(30:50) So observation >> example is also partial awareness only >> partial awareness only. >> Yes. Yes. And someone like white he's only searching for and for example there are beautiful nature paintings and a person likes only women paintings >> the moment he just comes and he just looking at everything he did not find any women painting he lost interest in it.
(31:12) >> Yeah. >> So this is what uh so you every person is aware of whatsoever is that first look is awareness. >> You are absolutely looking at everything but suddenly choice comes into being. So because of the choice your senses searches search for it. This happens casually every every day every minute actually when you go to a restaurant when you go to a cloth store when you go to buy a car or a plot you have a choice inside.
(31:45) So if you don't have any choice and you have entered into the room. So what would be the nature of your mind? So now you are looking you are aware of each painting and you are not making up any story. So in this way shall we look at the world at least once in a lifetime. It is so simple actually.
(32:36) So people simply say be aware be aware but they never make us understand what exactly that awareness means. So people observing or they are thinking they are aware. People they really don't know whether they are witnessing or they are looking at it. They are gazing at it. They are you know glancing at it.
(32:56) Are they observing it? Are they are witnessing it? They are being aware of it or they are contemplating. They are meditating over it. Nobody knows. So words are not just words. Every word has its own meaning and depth. True. >> So partial awareness means looking at something the first look with a choice. >> Yes. >> So choice precedes awareness.
(33:23) >> Yes. >> When you have choice when there is no choice. You look at the sky, you look at a person, you look at a flower with absolute attention. That is awareness. >> Yes. And there is no bias. There is no bias. There is no bias. Yeah. Partial awareness says this this painting is beautiful than that. >> Yes. Comparison comes.
(33:49) >> Comparison comes because choice is nothing but a comparison. >> Yes. >> In absolute awareness this painting is also good and you go to another painting you say this is also good. No judgment, no comparison, no analysis. But you are looking all senses alive is awareness. It's like your mind is fully there and just looking at it.
(34:30) So awareness has a direction. Witnessing has no direction. The simplest difference otherwise there is no great difference between the witness and a awareness. Absolutely similar. 99.9999 for example I am witnessing the painting. I am observing the painting. In witnessing I'm neither analyzing nor thinking about it.
(34:53) Even the thought comes I'm just looking at it. In observation I'm not comparing with anything whatsoever. But what is the difference? Awareness has direction. I'm looking at this in witnessing not only that in the background wall the surroundings paintings I'm witnessing everything you understand what is understood >> just tell me what did you understand this in simple language >> okay so in in awareness when I'm looking at a particular painting so there is a involvement of the mind that is it a good painting or not so good painting.
(35:34) >> That is a partial awareness. Good. Correct. Then what is true awareness or spiritual awareness or original authentic awareness? Absolute awareness. >> Absolute awareness would be I I cannot express >> simplely. So you again you are looking at the same painting and you are not comparing that painting with any complaint and you are just looking at it with absolute attention.
(36:07) >> Yes. >> So awareness spiritual awareness has a direction. >> Yes. >> For example, sometimes I'm aware of my breath. Direction is there. >> Sometimes I'm aware of what I'm speaking. Sometimes I am aware of where I'm walking. >> Sometimes awareness simply means >> it has a direction. >> Yes. >> Partial awareness means it has a direction but it has a choice in it.
(36:37) >> Yes. Understood. >> That's all. Witnessing means >> no direction. >> No direction. No choice. >> Yes. >> For example, I'm not only looking at the painting, the entire spectrum I am looking at. >> Yeah. So my now my senses are not involved with it. >> So tell me something like uh now now I'm seeing the key I'm seeing the switchboard the plug and the photograph.
(37:07) >> I'm witnessing with without any judgment. >> In witnessing you don't even care whether it is a key or a B. >> Okay. Okay. So after 4 hours somebody asks me okay you went to Risha's place what did you see so answer to this question >> I don't remember >> I'll appla >> if you really witnessed you go and see yourself that is answer >> okay okay >> if you have observed I have seen >> okay if I if I answer that okay there was a key >> there is observation so there is nothing wrong in observation also M >> now I'm trying to understand the
(37:49) difference. >> If you really witness there is nothing to say that's why whosoever witnessed life they became silent they also spoke but the speaking has the value of the silence. Finally after saying 3 hours of preaching they say shut your mouth don't speak much. this they actually they spoke a lot. [snorts] True.
(38:16) And >> so can I say then that means uh in in witnessing >> since you said that after 4 hours if somebody asked okay what all did you see in that wall uh which had photo um so what all did you see then if one replies that okay there was a key there was a plug >> yeah there are many things but not specifically I have seen anything no detail >> I'm saying if somebody replies that there was this there was that there was that that means there is the memory also which is been involved.
(38:50) >> Yeah. Yeah. You can see >> so when the memory is involved then it is no more witness it is observation. >> See without your effort if something falls on your mind something gets registered that's not your problem. >> You are not making up story. That's all I want to convey. So that is hypothesis. So whether you observed, whether you witnessed or whether you are aware of something, if someone asked, go and see on your own. You say that no problem.
(39:27) Just now go ahead. Yeah. Yeah. No problem. Go. And [snorts] there is one more word we have to discuss >> which is >> conscious. So okay. So now we have just discussed uh these three words and another supplementary word that is partial awareness. So observation and um witnessing and partial awareness and full awareness. Yes.
(39:57) >> And we all have this these are this these are not like politics a separate subject. We are born since we are living in the world. Every person is observant. Every person is witnessing something. Every person is aware of something partially. And once in a while he's fully aware of something. So awareness has a direction whether it is partial or >> absolute.
(40:28) So partial awareness has a choice in it. >> Yes. Hence that creates a kind of disturbance within. Yes. So that's why the all great masters have said be aware be aware but they never discussed about partial awareness. So whatsoever I have discussed right now it is not written in any books. First time in the humanity a man is speaking about it.
(40:54) I don't have any doubt because I have seen all the phases of these things. So I witnessed I observed I had partial awareness and I am full awareness. So whenever partial you and that exist whenever you're full you are that there is no absolute awareness separate from you. You are that when you are witnessing you are witness.
(41:26) When you are observing you are observing. You are you are not that. That's why Krishna Morti said rather using that word witnessing the observer is observed. He said again >> the observer is observed. Krishna Morti in philosophy he had given three u remarkable statements if at all one has to understand this entire philosophical uh depth.
(41:55) Mhm. [clears throat] >> Uh delivered in three simple lines. The first is you are the world. So you are just a representative of humanity. He says that so all the residues you are carrying all along. So that is one statement. He says as the another statement the meditator is meditation. The method disappeared and he whatsoever he's doing his his mind and body is completely involved with it.
(42:27) The meditation disappeared and that meditation he became the meditation itself. The meditator is meditation. I am not doing meditation. He is not separate from me. Now once someone asked so when do you meditate? Krishna Morti replied am I not meditating? Now that's actually conveys everything. So meditation it's not something like a job you have to do 2 hours a day.
(42:58) So your body mind complex is always involved. Whatsoever you are doing when you are chopping vegetables your mind helping to chop the vegetables to the body. Simple as that. When you are walking mind is walking along with you. It is not going as straight. So there there are no distractions at all. And the last statement Krishna Morty has given that the observer is observed.
(43:26) So whatsoever we have discussed somewhere we the witness part is the same thing. So now the last part is consciousness. So there is a thin line between absolute awareness and consciousness. Again in consciousness also people are using particularly because of wners they're saying subconscious supra conscious ultra conscious superconscious all these words they're bringing so that's a separate matter but whenever we say conscious or chaitana it means for example now you are standing on a hill now you have partial awareness
(44:16) now in Looking at the forest you are only choosing mango trees because choice goes along with it. That is one example over when you have absolute awareness. Whichever the tree you are looking at it you are looking at with full attention and the moment you turned your eyes towards another tree again you are looking at it full awareness full attention.
(44:41) Neither you are comparing this tree with that tree or that tree with any any other tree. Understood? >> Yes. >> Consciousness means you are not actually recognizing anything. You are recognizing the whole as one. >> Not this tree and that tree. >> That tree trees over. Humanity consciousness. Cosmos consciousness. Ocean consciousness.
(45:07) Tide awareness. I love tide. Partial awareness. Tides awareness. Fish awareness but ocean consciousness I don't care witness observation yesterday was more tides than today is observation. So all are one except partial awareness. So in this world you need partial awareness. be because you to claim what you have and what you don't have you need
(45:51) awareness. So >> it's like a survival >> survival >> instinct. Yeah. >> That partial awareness has to be there. >> Absolutely. The person who understood absolute awareness he has a wonderful partial awareness also is clearcut partial awareness. It doesn't entertain anybody. He puts the person wherever he belongs to.
(46:15) [laughter] That's why no master never gets confused because of any other reason. He he simply knows that doesn't belong to me. You please sit there. I can't discuss that topic with you. No, you are not the authority. Who said that? No, I am not. So clearcut division is there. But whenever he absolutely have that absolute awareness, he doesn't have any discrimination.
(46:44) Partial awareness is of discrimination. In absolute awareness, there is no discrimination. You are seeing everything with as clearly as possible with full attention. And now you put everything aside. Now you are you closed your eyes. Then bring all these words and try to define it. Then you will find real meanings. For example, you closed your eyes.
(47:15) What is there to observe? So you are observing your own inner world. You are observing your own kid. Even in thought in the thought process, you are not thinking about a neighbor and something is cooking up within. Witnessing means whether it is a dream or a thought, you are not getting affected by it.
(47:37) You are witnessing with closed eyes. Partial awareness means you have got couple of ideas but you liked one idea that is partial awareness. Absolute awareness means whatsoever the direction you are at whether it is a thought or an idea you are just looking at it attentively. If fear comes you are also looking at fear attentively. You are not running away from anything.
(48:06) Consciousness simply means you are simply all thoughts over my thought, your thought. For example, when you're looking at the whole cosmos, there is no your planet and my planet. It's just a bunch of planets. So then can uh can we say that if one individual >> is conscious 247 >> in the true sense of the term then there is no action >> yeah that is not possible that is only possible in the books people lied from thousands of years
(48:52) >> because the moment I'm committing into some action >> that's why you use all these things in your life >> there's There's no more consciousness there. >> Understand what it is. So for example that you are on the death bit what is there to observe. Then be conscious of the whole and the true consciousness is now you are looking at the trees right not only trees the stars above in the sky and the flowing river it's all one right? >> Yes.
(49:22) >> And the true consciousness is you are also being part of that one over. It's like the person who is looking at the ocean, he jumped into the ocean. >> So where there is no distinction only one >> and you are also not separate from it. >> That's consciousness. >> So when you are absolute awareness, you are aware of the attention always.
(49:49) For example, you are looking at the body, you are absolutely looking at the body without any choice. So there is a entity involved in absolute >> awareness always >> but in consciousness there is >> there is no entity >> I think I got that >> even the the absolute awareness actually slowly slowly fades away from outside world >> the truly spiritual person he's absolutely aware of his body that's all there is nothing else that's absolutely aware of >> his body his body >> there is nothing So these are the simple way of looking
(50:31) it. So how we take it, how we practice it or how we experience it that's a different matter. It depend upon individual's choice again. But to understand life >> other day like uh you had mentioned that the ring master in a circus is >> always aware of the tiger. >> Yeah. >> Or the lion. Same. >> So in our day-to-day life as ordinary human beings how can we be >> so rather than first of all whenever you use that word tiger >> yes >> you cannot use awareness there.
(51:05) You have to use that he's alert. So there is little difference between wherever there is danger from the other entity there is another layer of awareness. For example, whatsoever we have discussed that absolute awareness no animal experiences. >> But then you said that where awareness partial awareness is involved where there is protection involved.
(51:31) >> Yeah, protection involved but that is alertness. For example, when you are sleeping in the forest, only awareness does not help you because you are always in danger. >> Yes. >> Then where how can you be aware? You have to be alert, vigilant. That's why all these things are human experiences. In the existence, there is no consciousness.
(52:00) There is no awareness because there is nobody to say all that. For example, there is no reader. There cannot be any author. [snorts] For example, all eyes disappeared from the planet earth. Immediately all movie theaters shut down because that is the main organ or faculty. So in the same way if there is no other to speak you just remain awareness then what is there to aware to be aware you of your body. Now you are walking on the road.
(52:41) You are aware of the body. You are walking on the path. That awareness guides you and you just sat somewhere and someone is talking to you. He came and with his problems then you are aware of him and there is nothing you can do. You are witnessing. So withdrawing with witnessing means you withdrew yourself from all activities physically and psychology.
(53:10) And you are absolutely there and alive. You are not that's not an escape gesture. >> On a day-to-day basis, if I have to deal when I have to deal with my family, with my wife, >> then how can I be aware? >> First bring awareness. Be aware of your tongue. That's all. Be aware of your face. All your problems will be solved.
(53:31) >> Of my face. >> Yeah. >> As in the the words I speak. >> Words and your face. Okay. What is it to do with me? >> Whenever you meet that person, maintain a kind of face. Aware of that face. Don't make long faces or sad faces or questioning face. These actually create problem. Go with a pleasant face. If you don't have that kind of face right now, go into the bathroom [snorts] and listen to it patiently.
(54:01) That actually the first step to clear any problem. >> Good gesture. [clears throat] If you have a serious face >> it'll complicate the >> immediately the other person gets disturbed because for otherwise there are no problems at all. >> Even in the movies when hero gets angry on villain >> only facial expressions are matter >> he is pleasantly says that I'm going to kill you after 5 days.
(54:27) Nobody going to take serious waste dialogue dialog something. So >> true true. So always pay attention to the tongue and pay attention to your face. Aware of your face. So people visited Raman Maharishi. They have never seen being sad. That is enough. Somebody wrote a book about Raman Marshia and he actually asked many Ramanar's disciples and admirers.
(54:58) Raman Marsha doesn't have anybody. That's a different matter. But people consider him as a guru. So he roam around and asked many persons that why did you like Raman Maharishi? What is the distinct quality you have seen in him? Many people have said many things. So I consider him a bhagawan or ishwara.
(55:19) So why do you consider him ishwara? I am a human being. I have seen many human beings and there are many people every day they are sad, they are excited, they are enthusiastic this and that. So I see their faces changes all the time. But when I look at Raman Mahari, he's always just like the same. I have never seen him complaining about something.
(55:45) I have never seen him with twisted eyebrows. I have never seen his banging head, you know, to his hand or a wall. I have never seen he was so disappointed he's not speaking to anybody. Whenever you go to a a a you know a statue it just looks the same looks sim. So in the same way Bhagavan is also like that is just the same.
(56:12) So that is one person's perspective and another person said that the only because I have not educated much and I am not a great meditator or aani but the reason I settled in tvanamali in the at the feet lotus feet of bhagan ramani one reason sir he said what is the he never and he never uh okay >> I have never seen last 30 years I have never seen Only human beings do that.
(56:49) He's not human. So you said one has to be aware of the facial expression. >> First you are in the society always keep your face neutral >> or pleasant. That's all. When you go out keep a neutral face or a pleasant face. Whenever you speak a word be aware of that word. That's why communication skills are very important.
(57:12) >> Yeah. >> Most of the people have good intentions but they have bad tongues. >> True. >> They don't even realize that because of their word, spoken word, the problems have been created and they don't correct themselves because of that lot of government within. >> Yes. Ego. >> So for example me, so when I speak rudely with someone, I'm aware of it.
(57:39) I know with whom I am speaking like that. So no danger at all. So I have a kind of congeniality. So I can do that. But whenever I am with somebody I I always aware of my tongue and my I always aware of my face even my body gestures. That is not a tiring thing at all. So awareness is is like when you spray a kind of fragrance on your shirt, the fragrance follows you.
(58:09) Right? >> In the same way, awareness follows you. Awareness is not um born out of effort. The way you are breathing, awareness is also there. You are aware of your tongue. Just one or two hours or 2 days, 3 days, it is you need little extra attention. Later you used to it and that will help you a lot.
(58:30) This is the first step to clear any problem you enter into any problem or a group discussion or a family fighting or to you are going to face your boss or some anything make sure you you have control your tongue and you have a plain face and you don't you don't have to keep your body stiff. Only those people who want to prove a point, they keep their body stiff.
(59:02) Otherwise, you can um have a loose and natural body like Zen masters. >> Have you ever seen any Zen master walking? >> I I happen to meet one. >> I've only seen movies very loose, flexible kind of body. >> Yeah. >> They don't waste energy at all. Even Alen Warts have spoken great deal about it.
(59:33) So once u his friend and Alen Watts went to a Zen monastery and I know all Zen masters said this man a friend. So Alen said you don't know they look very ordinary. They are not like western philosophers. They they don't fake their you know talent. They are like a a deer walking in the forest. It is walking. It doesn't work like a Salman Khan.
(59:59) So why you keep your body fit? Why why are you showing off your chest? Somebody is looking at you. You are always aware of that somebody's eyes. But when you are aware of yourself, you know how to keep your body protected, loose and natural. So not only happiness is of the mind is of the body also. Keep it loose.
(1:00:23) So no stiffness at all yet it is active alive and Alen took his friend to a Zen master. He was walking in the garden and he imagined that master will be like this like that. >> So this is a true story. Yeah. So and Alin was pointed towards a man who is a little uh have a hunch and is walking slowly almost know crawling on the floor.
(1:00:49) He doesn't have any style at all. Because human being have a style and he's stuck in the style because what if he doesn't perform that stylist thing his audience he may lose audience >> but Zen masters or any great enlightened any ordinary person they will be on their own and this guy knows that whenever you meet a Zen master they they ask a coin.
(1:01:16) You know what coin is? Coin means a a complicate question which doesn't have answer at all and they ask you to find out the answer. Okay, for example, what is the sound of one hand clap? They ask this question and you don't have to depend upon books or past philosophies or your past. You don't have to inquire with anybody.
(1:01:46) You have to look at that question with your own mind. So the only thing you have is you are always looking at that question. What is the sound of one hand clap? What is this? You now you are not depend upon any past experiences. There may be 100 answers given by this many great people the same question but they are not your answers.
(1:02:10) You have to find your own answer. When you find your own answer, you have to meet the Zen master and say that I found the answer and he will look it your he listens to your answer. And he says that no, it is intellectual. Go again. You should not give intellectual answers. The real answer authentic. It happened so that uh someone the master asked what is the sound of a one hand clap.
(1:02:38) So all of a sudden he said I found the answer and master said what what is the answer? Then then he asked the question question to the master what was the question the disciple asked. So after two or three years of continuous inquiry. So what was the question? So what is the sound of single hand clap? Then he says right answer.
(1:03:08) So that's how Zen functions. Authentic answers are like that. You will not find in the textbooks. For example, I I because I'm writing a book of stories. There is one beautiful story. Then we conclude. So a person goes to a Zen master and already he read many Zen books. He knows how Zen monastery functions.
(1:03:33) He knows how coins were asked and he knows how to inquire, how to act and all that. So he went he prepared and he has no clue how masters function he only thought about it. So after going there you know that Chinese fan right? >> Yeah. Yeah. Huh. >> They open and they open and close. >> So he went to Zen master and asked that master please give me a coin.
(1:03:53) I'll inquire into it. Zen master understood he's being intellectual. He's already came prepared. Okay. I'll give you the most difficult one. You have to inquire and you have to find your own answer. Yes master. He's just faking. He doesn't have any humility at all. >> So he gave that Chinese fan and he just kept it like this.
(1:04:17) What is this? Figure it out. Then he knew the answer already. There is a Chinese fan. Such a simple question he has given and he's thinking that he has given something. So and he took that okay master I'll definitely look into it and I'll inquire and I'll figure it out the my own answer and I'll come back to you and and he just left and kept the that hand fan aside almost 1 month passed so whenever your answer is ready you have to put your cup upside down in the monastery that is a >> symbol >> you've got the answer >> so then someone comes and Okay, you put
(1:04:57) the cup upside down. So you found the answer. Yes, master. Please come. And Zen master was little busy. He was doing his chores and tell me did you find out what was that? Then he asked then yes master I just looked at it one month every day. I have realized that it is a Chinese fan master. You seem to be amazing.
(1:05:22) Such an intelligent fellow. Give me give me. Then he he was the task is over right? Obviously he thought but no. Then master said there are lot of mosquitoes around. Did you see mosquitoes in your room? Yes master there were lot of mus. See then he hit a mosquito. Oh it can be used as a weapon also right? What does this figure it out? Then he realized okay a object can be used multiple ways.
(1:05:52) Now he went first the first time his mind started functioning. It is a weapon and it is a fan. For the first time he's looking at it in how many ways it can function. Then he discovered three or four ways. Then that's all and sneakingly asked one or two disciples also. So how many ways we can use this van? Then again he put the cup upside down and master invited the same question.
(1:06:23) Did you discover what it is? Of course I discovered master gave the >> so first time I have a foolish answer but after the insight you have given to me and uh it it functions in multiple ways. Multiple ways means describe. So it can be used as a fan, it can be used as a weapon or it can be used as a paper weight and it can be used as something else.
(1:06:50) So he gave force very nice such an intelligent fellow that's all that's all master then he said he crash scratched his so it can be back scratcher also >> go find out >> what is this so for the first time his mind is absolutely aware first the first was choice >> now he's absolute awareness this he's looking at it now he took a pen and paper he started writing then almost 150 ways it can be used he took one one year he doesn't have any he's kept all looking at it he opened closed this this
(1:07:39) so finally now he's unable to uh put the cup upside down who knows Because whenever he goes there immediately master giving new dimension then he came to a conclusion after one year. No it cannot be used otherwise only 150 ways of using the cup using that fan. He just uh kept his cup upside down. Then master invited so did you discover what is it? Of course I discovered it can be used in many many ways.
(1:08:10) What do you mean by many many many? So I have written in a book you seem to be busy. No, I am not busy. You are the most important disciple and I have given the most intriguing question to you. I'm listening. I'm all Then he said it can be used this, it can be used that and all 150 things. That's all he said. That's all master.
(1:08:34) Do you want to have cup of tea? Such a wonderful research you have done. Of course, I want to have a cup of tea. And he thought that the inquiry is over. Master is satisfied. And the cup came and he said master said uh you drink I'll just throw it away. So he opened the fan and he kept it all. So it can be used as a he did not even say that it can be used as a plate.
(1:08:58) He just left with the thing. Then almost five six hours yes he did not come. Now his first step. So master asked what happened to him? He's not coming to me. Now these days he's absolutely serious. So whenever he has to do daily routine meditation or daily chores or work in the kitchen, rest of the time he's just looking at that particular fan.
(1:09:25) He's not even speaking to anybody. Once in a while he's singing, dancing and all that. But now that's good. master said. So almost five years now he wrote a book. Then he inquired again and again. He looked at that same fan thousands of thousands of times. Then he came to a conclusion. That's all. Now he's thinking like his master.
(1:09:56) [snorts] Then again he kept his clock up upside down. An invitation came. Did you discover? Of course, I have written now he's very serious. Of course, master, I have written a book. So, 2,100 ways of using the fan. Wonderful. Read. I'm all listening. It may take lot of I don't have time at all. I don't consider time.
(1:10:25) You are the most important disciple. As I said, I listen to it, man. Then he started reading all the ways of using a simple Chinese hand fun. Once he thought it can be used only as fan but now this is the visor rupa of that small fan. Then after 3 or 4 hours of continuous recital the master said that's all. Now what do you mean by that's all? That's all for now.
(1:11:01) Okay. What else? What have we been doing these days? Let's go out for a walk. So, I have been not doing anything. Initially, I thought it's a simple task. But it opened a Pandora box. Forget all about understanding the whole universe. I'm unable to understand a small object. Thank you so much for this. Then master said okay okay okay you don't take that seriously it is just a small task you have done well so lot of heat I forgot my cap then he opened it and kept in front of his eyes it used like a shade then I said master
(1:11:46) give it to me I have to go again now four four years passed then he stopped coming to meditations and he was absolutely alone so one day master said I have to leave this place I'm going to another monastery. So all people came and they have given their answers but one person the person with that Chinese fan where is he now he's happily singing and dancing these days now he's not serious at all as if he found something very valuable so he's planting rose trees.
(1:12:22) So master goes there and his shadow falls on the the disciple and he just doesn't even look at the master. Tell me master what do you want? Then what do you mean by what do you want? So I have given a task. Of course you have given a task. What is that? Don't you remember? Of course I remember.
(1:12:45) Then why are you asking? So master said don't waste my time. I want the answer. Of course I found the answer. But right now I'm planting rose tree. I I cannot come. What do you mean by I cannot? If you really want to know the answer, go to my room. And the answer is lying there in front of Buddha statue. Then master say okay this is my headache.
(1:13:12) Then you found the answer then you don't have to bother. Now I why I want to see what is that answer because I'm leaving today and I have to appointment appoint the next uh head monk also. Then uh he goes to his small room beautifully decorated and a small table there is a Buddha statue and this master's photograph is also there ladden with flowers and in front of it there is a plate in that plate he kept that Chinese fan and in around that Chinese fan he decorated beautiful flowers his almost his you know uh like praying dity so master was so surprised
(1:13:55) And that Chinese fan he might have opened thousands and thousand of times. It's like almost ancient. It's like it's been used by whole humanity. So he just picked up that fan. Then he opens it up and on it that disciple writes I truly don't know what it is. That is [snorts] the answer. Then master comes and says that I understood this is the original answer but you have to explain why did you say that you don't know what it is and you have written a book book also you know something about it no no I don't know
(1:14:36) anything about anything what do you mean by that give me a convincing answer then he says that when I came here I thought I may become a meditator But that when I interacted with my encounter with the Chinese fan opened a Pandora box. It can be used as a fan. It can be used as a shade. It can be used as a cup. Anything.
(1:15:01) In the same way I can be used as I don't know what that thing is. At the same time I say I am nobody. I can be I can be a gardener and I can be a meditator. I can be a cook or I can be a nobody. I have lost my identity completely. Then master boast down to him I thought of appointing your new master so I found you are my new master and he says that that is also an identity I don't mind doing all the activities but I am not have any intention to considering me this and that that is the responsibility I'll take
(1:15:45) care of it no problem the wisdom you have given is enough for me to maintain this small then the master says goodbye. So when I heard this story I really lost my identity. The same thing I always remember when I play violin only for while playing violin I'm a violinist once I put my violin down I don't know who who am I like that.
(1:16:17) So did you like the story? >> Absolutely. [laughter] So I just play now. I let me become a violinist. Fore! Fore!
(1:17:53) >> [screaming] [music] [music] >> M no no no M. [music] [music] So this is
(1:18:46) >> nice >> um what is it a clearcut uh understanding of these words. Now when you are on the road you can witness you can observe you can have partial awareness you can have full awareness and you can be conscious all the time you're actually doing something or being something something you are being a witness keeps changing itself is changing it's all a matter of >> and the final state of human mind is witnessing The last breath when you leave at that time witness
(1:19:34) >> not even consciousness you are just aware of that witness that breath and there is no direction also because there is no other exist then awareness and witness become one from joti
No comments:
Post a Comment