Jayesh Ranjan: Inside Telangana’s IT Empire (Telugu Podcast) | Unscripted
Author Name:Unscripted with Meghana Reddy
Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@UnscriptedMeghana
Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy2a6UaJv88
Title: Jayesh Ranjan: Inside Telangana’s IT Empire (Telugu Podcast) | Unscripted
Author Name: Unscripted with Meghana Reddy
Description: Jayesh Ranjan IAS sits down for an unscripted conversation on how Telangana built one of India’s fastest-growing IT and industries ecosystems — and what it really takes to run a state’s economy.
In this episode of Unscripted with Meghana Reddy, we go beyond the headlines with one of Telangana’s most respected bureaucrats. Jayesh Ranjan shares the thinking behind the state’s tech rise, the role of governance and AI in building a future-ready administration, and the lessons founders and policymakers can take from how Telangana positioned itself on the global map.
We talk about:
• How Telangana became a magnet for IT and global capability centres
• The mindset of a bureaucrat who thinks like a founder
• AI, innovation, and the future of governance in India
• What young entrepreneurs get wrong about working with the system
• The career and decisions that shaped one of India’s most recognised IAS officers
🎙️ Podcast by: Meghana Reddy
👤 Guest: Jayesh Ranjan IAS
Presented by :The BNS Media
Host : Meghana Reddy Marella
Creative Director : Samaya Reddy Marella
Cinematographer : T Venkata Sreenivasa Rao
Teaser Editor : Karthik Sriraj
Promo Editor : Bhavana Jithendra
Editor : Raviteja Midatala
Music : Fau
Thumbnail : Nandikanti Vijay
#jayeshranjan #hyderabad #hmda #telangana #podcast #hyderabaddevelopment #urbandevelopment #greaterhyderabad #iasofficer #unscripted #meghanareddy #telangananews #infrastructure #hyderabadnews #bnsmedia
VIDEO TIME STAMPS
0:00 Introduction
1:18 The Beginning of His Journey
7:44 Life with a Navy Father
14:11 Bridging the Digital Divide
17:03 Reverse Brain Drain in India
24:43 How Psychology Helped in Bureaucracy
27:02 Working with Different Governments
32:40 The Importance of Sports
39:21 Bringing IKEA to Hyderabad
44:23 Building T-Hub
48:12 Hyderabad Startup Ecosystem
53:21 Message to Young Minds
Transcript:
(00:00) You studied psychology and not economics or engineering. IT ecosystem built share money is not what you signed up for. There's a term in English called zombies. Sir, if I can talk about your dad, he used to be in navy and then later went underground and This emergency was declared and obviously it's a very draconian thing.
(00:28) Sir, after the bifurcation, you have worked with the PRS government and Congress. I was called by the current chief minister and I went with a bit of anxiety. I mean, why is he calling me? >> [music] >> Last 20 years low Hyderabad Skyline, startups Thank you so much, sir, for being with
(01:19) us today. Welcome to Unscripted with Meghna. It's It's truly an honor. Thanks. Thanks very much. Thanks for having me here. >> Thank you, sir. So, to start off, you grew up in Lucknow. Yes. And you spent most of your time in Hyderabad. You studied psychology and not economics or engineering. So, it's in a very conventional prediction.
(01:45) You know, 33 years IT and IT ecosystem built share money is not what you signed up for. So, where did it all begin, sir? See, it's like this. So, I studied psychology, but I studied more also. I did a management course from IIM Calcutta and obviously the intention was to get into the corporate world. But while studying, I we have to do a internship, summer internship, first year, second year middle.
(02:28) And not at all that I am pitching it that life long then you not about to watch it and now I will not life spoil causing my life spoil then I thought that what else can I do if I'm not going to pursue a corporate career, what are the other options? So I thought of three four options, but then I felt that civil services is also a good option and I'm from Lucknow as you know, so lots of influence of the bureaucracy officers.
(03:00) There are a few in my family as well, but I was not very sure whether I'll get through that competitive process to get into the IAS has a very complicated and a very tough kind of a selection process. So not that I mean that I am before studying MBA I was studying psychology in Delhi. So exams I will proceed exam
(03:53) So there's a term in English called zombies. Hello breath going to the job zombies land like I wanted it. So, I was very apprehensive that how will I be able to compete with those zombies who are living breathing every minute this exam preparation. I was not like that. I was taking everything in a balanced way.
(04:13) I was studying, but I was not studying like a zombie. Yes. Yes. But through divine blessings and good luck, I was able to get through straight away. So, what happens is that when you are selected in the IAS, by and large throughout the country, there is a uniform pattern. With the community, with the people. Rural area postings, small district, small town postings.
(04:45) After that, you come to the state headquarter where you do different kinds of postings. Depending upon what is available at that time. What the political leadership feels about you. And then you have the option to complete the rest of your career in Government of India. >> Yes. You become the additional secretary, secretary.
(05:05) You manage the subject for the entire country. So, I did postings mostly in Railaseema area. Chittoor, Kurnool, Kadapa. And then I came to Hyderabad. So, Hyderabad I was in the combined state. I was working I worked in largely two sectors. One was urban development and one was tourism. Yes. And after that and >> [clears throat] >> industries.
(05:39) And after that, the state got bifurcated. So, I was working in industries and most of us would recall that the IT portfolio in the in the first government of the new state of Telangana was held by Mr. K.T. Rama Rao. So, he might have made some inquiries that will be a good person who will be able to So, to develop the IT ecosystem, you have to work with lots of external stakeholders.
(06:05) Okay, government kind of you have to work with so many IT companies, innovators, academic institutions, Government of India, international governments. So, who is the person who has some aptitude for this kind of work? So, somehow he must have heard about me or learned about me. I had met him on a few occasions before that.
(06:25) So, he recommended to the Chief Minister that I be brought in that sector. And then we have started working and then results started coming very fast. I think 2014, I don't know whether you had you have recollection of 2014. You may be very very young, but Hyderabad was not a very kind of a mainstream IT center.
(06:47) There were IT companies, not to say that there's no IT. We were not at zero, but as compared to Bangalore, which was skyrocketing, we were still at a laid-back kind of an IT destination. So, from 2014 onwards, we were able to bring in lots of changes and lots of new companies started coming, lots of star startups. We created institutions like T-Hub, etc.
(07:11) So, when everyone saw that results are coming, they felt that fine, I mean, this person is bringing results. Let us continue with him. So, but after the government has changed also, I continued there for some time. But then the Chief Minister felt that I should uh look after uh a different responsibility, which is that of metropolitan area.
(07:40) So, I put in a request metropolitan area budget and service Yes, sir. Sir, if I can talk about your dad, he used to be in navy and then later went underground and started working on an anti-emergency paper. So, to see a man all your life to be so so against the government and stuff and you serving the How did like did it ever mismatch? Did it ever hit you? See, it is like this.
(08:08) The government [clears throat] also has lots of things which can be done for the common person. And my father's attitude was not to kind of not to rebel against the establishment, but his priority was to look look at the people who were in that organizational culture at the bottom of the pyramid. So, for example, he also was an MBA coincidentally and after finishing his work MBA, he worked in private companies.
(08:39) In those days, some of the leading private companies. So, I can give you an example. He worked in Coca-Cola. He worked in Bata. In those days, these these were very very big companies. So, let us say Bata Bata or Coca-Cola. So, one So, in India in those days, the management culture was still very British. Like you have your separate chambers, separate cabins.
(09:02) You don't talk to anyone else. You only talk to your peer. You speak only in English. They used to carry a briefcase. So, outside they were all called boxwallahs. So, you become behave like a boxwallah. You have some club membership. You only move in those elite kind of circles. But my father's attitude was very different.
(09:23) When he would come to the office, he would go to the production area. He would talk to the workers. He would find out what is the issue they are facing, if something has to be brought to the management's notice. So, the management did not like it. This was not the way managers were supposed to behave. They were not supposed to go and talk to workers.
(09:41) They would not even acknowledge the existence of workers. Workers were supposed to be all invisible, below their level, far below their level. So, they somehow did not like it, and uh he was pushed out of these companies. I mean, while he was doing his job well, but because of this aberration in his behavior, that he's talking to workers, he's mingling with them, he was removed, and then uh at that point in time uh India started a war with uh Bangla uh with Pakistan, actually, for the cause of Bangladesh, to create a separate uh country, and uh
(10:15) uh it's not openly admitted, but in the initial phases, India was losing that war. India was not really uh because Pakistan had lots of support from US and others. So, India was not doing well. So, the prime minister at that time, uh Indira Gandhi got a local general local people each other that everybody you okay you would look at war efforts low all go early they shall we say what you are yet plenty of a way plan all of you want to take me volunteer a one day.
(10:44) So, my father in any case was not happy in the corporate setup. He was not uh encouraged, and they were pushing him out. So, he quit. And he joined the Navy, and he uh performed uh good services. In fact, uh middle of >> [clears throat] >> the kind of a good cinema to see you guys see me there. >> Yes, yes, of course.
(11:04) Gazi is a name of a Pakistani ship which was sunk by Indian Navy. So, he went line actual to go on the road. Cinema children of a day, but when the actual Gazi episode happened, he was on an Indian ship called the Rajput. So, uh you don't know when I get those India did well eventually, and Bangladesh became a new country.
(11:29) But after that, the work there became very administrative. There is no war, there is no action. You're just sitting in the office, you're writing some reports and all that. So, which he did not really enjoy. Then he quit. And again, coincidentally, as some member this emergency was declared and obviously it's a very draconian thing that people's rights are curtailed and so much of kind of restrictions on your freedoms and so many important people jailed just because they are protesting.
(11:59) So, my father somehow felt that he should react to that situation. He should not just sit and take it easy. So, one of the important leaders who was protesting against emergency, his name was Jayaprakash Narayan. So, through some network he got connected. And Jayaprakash Narayan noticed that he is well educated, he's an MBA from an IIM, he speaks English very nicely.
(12:25) He writes well. So, he asked him to work on a newspaper. So, in those days the regular media, the regular newspaper used to go through censorship. At the rate my paper lawyer about the mirror is down narrow window Roger mirror sensor officials get you pinch out of me. And well on a minute is 10 A.M. Page newspaper lawyer report to me.
(12:45) Otherwise, it has to be removed. So, anything critical of the government, critical of anti-government, etc. Everything was removed. So, just as before our conversation started, you were telling that mainstream media Vedanta credibility later. So, up ruin the newspapers per stick with her ugly.
(13:04) Under the bottom news they were giving was all sanitized. Everyone knew that this is not the real news. The real news has been totally removed. Only a filtered kind of thing, one-sided thing has come. So, he Jayaprakash Narayan had started an underground newspaper. The newspaper every roster narrow echo print out the only at the distributor town the entire Yeah, everything was kept secret.
(13:29) So, my father was involved in that activity to write reports, to print it, to get it delivered. So, it was a very I mean, I don't have too much of personal knowledge, but what he would tell was that it was all very exciting. That it love police while it love couple of custom total, but independent guy I do these kind of things.
(13:50) So, it was a good kind of an experience. So, he by a large from his life one can derive that he was always working for the underdog. People who are very vulnerable bugging this a positive on the one. You work it with no wonder while a partial on the demo while I turn from a matter that I do. So, in the government it is not a contradiction.
(14:10) I mean, there are many things which uh the government does. And uh I'll give you an example. Everyone thinks of this uh Gachibowli, the high-tech city, the big campuses, the Googles, the Apples, and all those things. That is fine. That is great. But, in the time that I spent in that sector, I also did lots of work on what is called as a digital divide.
(14:36) See, digital divide I'm sure you're familiar with it. People who for example, who have not gone to higher education, who don't speak English, who don't have access to uh gadgets, modern gadgets. It is felt that they will not benefit from technology because uh English is the usual language of accessing technology and some amount of schooling or colleging has college has to be done.
(15:01) Plus, access to gadget, a smartphone at least has to be there. But, it's a very real phenomena. But, many of the things which we did in Telangana have made us as a state far advanced in terms of using digital technologies even now. In rural areas, farmers are able to use technologies, women self-help groups are able to use technology, a simple youth in a village is able to use technology because of some of the important work we did on digital divide.
(15:30) In minimizing this I won't say it is zero. But as compared to many other states, we gave attention to it, we worked on it, we created programs and so on and so forth. So, Rabo Rojo ever pretty okay technology technology a lot of life by the part of you. So, Telangana we have created that foundation. That technology when you come to that Atlanta never stop on the Not many people talk about it.
(16:03) They only talk about this big offices and all these big companies etc. But lots of foundational work was done and in earlier roles also when I was working in the districts and smaller towns, I have implemented a very kind of a landmark poverty elevation project. People who are the poorest of the poor I don't know better than them.
(16:27) While I need to go to poverty I was able to showcase that in Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh. So, in the government also you can work for the poor, you can help them, you can create a lifelong a opportunity for them which I have done in so many opportunities. So, common person but that sensitive for human Yeah, much you got on them.
(16:53) government wanted a sad young man in the garden While being in the government also you can be compassionate and kind towards the common person. >> Yes, sir. So, moving on to your mom's head. Um uh I'm a close money or turn down down my flow uh offer to study psychology in US. Yes. So, and you put it Telangana 20 47 program is about brain drain reverse brain drain to bring back all the researchers that left Telangana.
(17:25) So you know you gave up your life there and now you are you've built all this here but still there are a lot of students H1B visa goes on way just now. Andhra Pradesh and Telangana and it's Telangana and it's also a lot of them. So how do you address this sir? So there is nothing wrong in it. In fact I personally subsequently while I did not go to the US at that time because of family issues but the weather now cool in Kolkata city I might have to check with the occasion which in the I went there I I went to the US I studied public policy
(18:03) and I still feel that foreign education or overseas education is important. I mean it creates lots of exposure new perception new perceptions new in perspectives new insights it uh is a system which is very different from the way education school education college education is delivered in India. I've studied in a very good institution as I told you I went to I am Kolkata I was in Delhi University for those disciplines these are considered to be the best but if you ask me after finishing my MBA how was your experience? So
(18:42) uh tell them to shut up at the at the but particularly uh among the young people one very common expression used is that mind-blowing. So my education was mind-blowing but my expression would be that my two years of education was mind-numbing. And they what I can independently think also got reduced there. >> So even the best institutions failed to kind of excite me I mean I'm not saying that everything was bad.
(19:12) There were some great professors, some classes were phenomenal. I still remember some of the sessions, some of the classes. Plus, in higher education, the learning is not just in the class. You also learn quite a lot from interactions and the assignments that you do and all. So, I mean, by I mean, some brilliant things also happened there.
(19:33) But, on an average, if you ask me, I did not really feel stimulated or motivated and all that. But, if you study in the US or UK in good universities, I'm not saying that everything is rosy abroad. There are also some very, very average institutions are there. But, if you get a chance to study in a good university or college, it is worth spending.
(19:55) Now, whether you choose to stay back or come back, it's your choice. But, nowadays, I personally feel that you can stay back if there are some other compelling reasons. But, while staying back also, you can still contribute quite a lot. And, I've seen this as a part of my work. I interact with lots of people of Indian origin who are living in the US or UK or elsewhere.
(20:20) And, many of them have supported us by doing some partnerships with us and bringing some technologies or doing some projects and so on and so forth. In fact, uh it's a good coincidence that we are talking today. Tomorrow, coincidentally, we are signing a MOU between GHMC and IIT Kharagpur. To See, as you know, lots of waterborne diseases happen, particularly rainy season.
(20:51) First time they went and they just come. Chicken gunia, some dengue, all these kind of things. And, I'm currently involved in this metropolitan area. So, these are things which immediately fall upon us. That me Atlanta dengue on the chicken gunia aspect. So, of course, some action is being taken, but now we are trying to bring lots of science into this.
(21:13) So, there's a person of Indian origin who lives in I think he lives in San Francisco or Los Angeles or somewhere. A very prominent person. Uh his name is Vivek Wadhwa. He has patented a technology which uses AI to detect what to check in small samples of water. What is the potential of that sample causing uh uh mosquito breeding and uh creating bacteria and all those things.
(21:39) So, tomorrow we are signing that thing. So, this was all done through Vivek Wadhwa. He lives there. He has studied there. He has gained uh knowledge there. But, he has decided to bring it to Hyderabad. And it's not at all a commercial initiative. He's doing it completely free of cost. >> And he's back to Hyderabad. No, no.
(21:57) He continues to operate from there, but for the MOU purposes, he has decided to do it here in Hyderabad because of my familiarity with He's a tech entrepreneur. So, But, if you're staying in the US because it's a very cool place and all that, that is not such a compelling reason anymore.
(22:30) Our city is also In fact, I know of many people who have come back and who are working in the sector here. And many of them I meet them frequently. Many of them tell that we don't really miss anything. And the US law Anything is there also, it is very frivolous thing. So, one person told me that there is a brand of toothpaste which I used to use in the US.
(23:02) That I don't get here in India. Which is a superficial thing. So, Crest for example. So, in the US Crest is a popular toothpaste brand. In India, we don't Crest is not retailed here, but we have our own uh you know, Colgate's and I mean all these other even other things. So, it So, it if at all you're missing something, it's only superficial.
(23:24) Other than that, the quality of life, the quality of institutions, the schools, some of our international schools, some of the health care institutions. Suppose you go to let us say the top 10 hospitals in Hyderabad. Normally, if you stand at the reception, behind the reception, they put a board the names of all the doctors and all that.
(23:44) And if you just stand and read, you will notice that literally everyone has studied in the West, has worked there, has experience there. And obviously, they've chosen to come back. So, if you're going to a hospital in the US, you'd have seen the same kind of people which you are seeing here in India. So, there's no big difference.
(24:00) At least in large cities, in Hyderabad, Bangalore, and possibly Mumbai, Delhi, etc., the quality of life is no different. I mean, some issues are still there, which I'm not defending. For example, let us say our driving habits, our cleanliness, and all these things. I mean, not just in the US, across the world, there is a particular discipline which people used to lead their life.
(24:24) In India, it is not changing too much. People say that it's a cultural thing. Obviously, those things will be not worth kind of defending. But in general, the quality of life, quality of institutions is not very different. >> Mhm. Yes, sir. So, you have done IIM Calcutta marketing. You've done your psychology degree, sir.
(24:51) Seems like that comes out of interest. So, you think it has helped you in your bureaucratic journey? Yeah, yeah. So, it has helped. So, see it is like this. Any course that you study, there are two ways of studying it. One is that you just study hoping to get some degree and hoping that that degree will be of use. But that one that I can achieve and it's just a time pass.
(25:17) A degree challenge but sometimes you do some studies with lots of passion, with lots of interest and all that. So, I really studied uh psychology with that kind of interest and kind of passion and all that. Of course, I did well in the exam. I was the gold medalist and all that but I also learned it, I internalized it.
(25:37) And now I feel that it is very very useful. See, so in any profession, I'm not saying that only as a bureaucrat but in any profession certain skills are very important. How do you construct the situation? How do you react? How do you judge the other person? How should you not misjudge someone? How do you kind of think of all options, etc., etc.
(25:58) So, I personally feel that because I studied and I immersed myself in that study, I learned a lot, I practiced as a student itself quite a lot and therefore in these skills, I am pretty good now and therefore it helps my work. I'm able to uh arrive at decisions quicker. I'm able to arrive at decisions which actually work better.
(26:22) I'm able to nurture my team better. I know who will be motivated with what kind of gesture or comments or support, etc. So, eventually you mentioned about IT a while ago and in any other job also where I've been able to show results, I I mean, while speaking I say I I but the reality is that there is a big team around me which delivers all of it and the mantra, the management mantra which I follow is that as the head of that institution your job is to inspire and nurture these people who are around you.
(26:56) And I'm able to do that better just because of my training. Yeah. So sir, after the bifurcation, you have worked with BRS government and Congress. So there was a transition. So when there's a transition, you have con and then Hyderabad you have built in one government and going to this government, suddenly everything changes.
(27:21) So how does the first 72 hours after the government change, how does it look like? >> So I'm very fortunate. I I don't recall precisely whether it was within 72 hours or not, but very very early, within a few days. I was called by the current chief minister. And I went with a bit of anxiety. I mean, why is he calling me? I mean, he spent some 15-20 minutes with me and they were an extremely motivating 15 minutes for me.
(27:50) He told many things, but one important thing which he told was that I know that you have brought good results. You have brought good name and reputation for the previous government. Now you should outperform and bring even better name for our government. So it's a very motivating thing to hear. If the leader of the state is telling you that work even harder, outperform them, bring even better results.
(28:17) These are the exact words we are waiting to hear all our life from our political leaders. So I found it to be extremely motivating. And he told that give, I mean, better ideas, better suggestions. Just as you worked out to bring good reputation to the previous government, do even hard work harder. And since then, I mean, approximately two years five months have gone by.
(28:44) My experience has been like that. I have worked in that particular sector. for an interim period. There was a sudden crisis in the tourism sector. The government had to organize this Miss World event and there was no one to look after that responsibility. So, I was suddenly given that responsibility and then I completed that assignment, remained in the tourism sector for a while and now I have become full-time responsible for metropolitan area.
(29:08) Yeah, the government is banking quite a lot on doing hardcore infra projects. So, Telangana and Hyderabad in particular, this is one of the reputation that we have earned over the years, over the decades actually, that unlike a Bangalore, where only after things become totally messy and critical, does the government wake up and do something.
(29:31) Here, we are considered to be a very proactive government. From the time that ORR was built and the airport was developed, since then, people have noticed that in this government, before anything happens, any crisis happens, government has already gone five steps ahead. So, this is the expectation. And that is what I'm working on.
(29:49) >> Yes, sir. As you mentioned, assignments, you were a part of it. Me choice got to like someone asked you to lead, you know, different assignments. How did you feel being a part of different different scattered thing? So, see, what happens typically is that the IAS service is designed like that, that you work in multiple assignments to get a very holistic view of governance and then towards the end, you put all that together and you provide some strategic leadership to the bureaucracy, to the government. So, okay,
(30:28) even in very good states, well-governed states, you are given a role till 2 and 1/2 years, 3 years and then you move to the next assignment, next assignment. But frankly, if I look back at my career, I haven't done so many assignments. In fact, in this IT sector, so as I said, I worked for almost 11 and 1/2 years IT and industry sector.
(30:48) So, as I told you, the norm is to work for 3 years. If you work for a fourth year, people consider it a bonus. And if you work for one more year, 5 years, it is considered like a miracle. I worked for 11 and 1/2 years. I mean, there are no terms also to describe what happened. So, but most of my assignments have been like that.
(31:10) Which is your favorite assignment? So, actually, there is a side assignment which I'm doing now, which is actually my favorite. So, not many people consider it to be a very mainstream assignment. It is seen to be a small-time assignment, but for the last uh more than 1 year, I'm in charge of sports portfolio. So, that is giving me lots of happiness.
(31:35) Sports is uh not a very I mean, we all follow sports. Some of us play sport, but from an administration perspective, there's nothing very great or glamorous or very significant. The department also has a small budget. There is hardly 20 member in my sports team. It's not a very big So, in the bureaucracy, these are some of the determinants of whether you are holding an important post or not.
(31:59) How big is your department? How much is your budget? So, in contrast, the municipal department, the metropolitan department that I had is really a big one. I have almost 20 IAS officers working under me. And we have budget, etc., etc. Plus, in the metropolitan areas, you know, 40% of the state's population lives. We contribute to almost 2/3 of the state GDP.
(32:20) So, that responsibility in terms of numbers and all that is very, very high. But the sports thing, which is just the reverse. I have just 20 people. The budget is not even 1/500 of what I have in metropolitan. I don't have any IAS officer with me in the sports and all, but I feel very attached to that world. >> Cuz you would play sports, huh? Play sports and I feel that it has not been valued enough in our country.
(32:46) It is a activity which has great potential. I mean, I've seen so many other countries where sports has given such a big multiplier effect. It is not just the elite athletes who win Olympic medals and all that. The sporting culture sports teaches you quite a lot. I mean, if you're a sports person. Countries like Australia is an amazing country.
(33:06) Every child plays something or the other. Every family supports that child even if the child is 4 years old. At 4 years, there is no sign of what greatness you will achieve in sports, but still the parents take you out, they sit with you, they monitor your scores, they write it in a sheet, they take your pictures, they create a scrapbook.
(33:26) So, it is so much of a wonderful thing to see. So, when I came to the park again, I started sports again, but I'm trying to make some effort. >> But there is a change that you feel compared to that. >> a change, fortunately. But they last 10-20 years low quanta per 60 part in the because there was so much of stress from the parents.
(33:47) The children should attend coaching classes 24/7. They should be studying. And getting into this MSET, NEET, IIT. These are the only goals of your life. I would balance the only color, but I guess gradually parents are also realizing that putting your child under too much of stress and creating only a one track life for him, you're doing a great injustice to the child.
(34:13) And even though without studying 24/7, the child can still succeed in life because other than MSET also, there are hundreds of career options. Many of them are far better. So, if you do that, I think you may you do yoga podcaster going to media company in the world with my sister only. Both of you also could have been pressured by your parents to only write the same set exam, study engineering.
(34:39) But I don't know how he brought you up, but I'm I'm guessing that he gave you choice that you can do whatever you want and today you are quite successful. You have become an entrepreneur, you started your own channel, you become a role model. So, every parent realizes that there is no need to force someone to just prepare for something which has better options against it today. Yes, sir.
(35:06) So, in one of your Yeah, one of your previous interviews, you called Telangana as an island growth, sir. So, it is a critique to party government and also government and to yourself. So, what do you think about that, sir? You take it as a critique, critically you analyzed Telangana, or you know, there is potential to more growth. No, no, sir.
(35:31) That is not how I meant it when I said so. What what I'm trying to tell is that see Bharat Desam the Telangana chapter of the that while we are progressing, our government has ambitious targets. So, Pradhan could have 2047 color because it Bharat and then we should become an advanced country. When I rush to go to 3 trillion dollar economy guide to go to 2047 not to key.
(35:56) Various other governments are also having grand plans, but what concerns me that in our country particularly and not just in our state, but across the country the growth is very skewed. What is called as income disparity. So, that is becoming wider and wider and wider. So, that is what I meant that some people are benefiting more than others.
(36:19) And then in the digital divide going to Japan. Also, that also is related to this phenomenon. Those who who progressing more than others are typically the people who are using digital technology to their advantage. And uh those who are not able to use technology, they are getting left behind. And for other reasons also, they are getting left behind.
(36:42) For example, in the job market, quality as you would know, uh there are many colleges which teach sub-standard, there is no quality, and I'll give you an example and I So, recently, uh the police department conducted an exam to recruit constables. And we read in the newspapers that uh 100 B.
(37:13) Techs, PhDs I exam they tried to get into that exam. So, see, [clears throat] so first of all, I'm not demeaning the role of a constable. A constable is also a very valuable position and it does so much of good to the society. So, it the constables are not seeing anything like that. But constable to get into the B.Tech, you don't need a PhD. Basic education is enough.
(37:42) But still, why are B.Techs applying for a constable post? Why are PhDs applying for a constable post? So, the answer is that it is not that there are no there are no engineering jobs, there are no academic jobs, there are enough jobs. But these are people who just have a paper degree of B.Tech. There is no quality behind that B.
(38:01) Tech and therefore no good company will recruit them. And therefore, they have come to appear for a constable's exams, etc., etc. So, people of this kind who have not received any quality education, who are unfamiliar with latest technologies. In fact, in many particularly in college events and all. I have spoken, very, very harshly.
(38:28) In fact, I have used a phrase that if you don't master AI, you will be killed. I mean, you know, So, I mean, there is some exaggeration in what I'm saying, but there is also some truth in what I tell. So, this is what I meant, that if it the growth was uniform, that anyone who has studied BTech has a bright career in technology, engineering.
(38:59) Anyone who has done a PhD has a bright career in research or academics. If that happens uniformly across the state, then I will say that it is a uniform growth. Otherwise, it is just money uh, money will turn around. And obviously, in our vision document that we have created, we have taken care of that. We have addressed uh, this phenomena directly. Yes, sir.
(39:21) Uh, so, let's talk about your successful projects in Hyderabad, sir. First is IKEA. IKEA coming to Hyderabad, was a big thing back then. It was the first ever in the country. How did you crack this? See, it is like this. So, first round of discussions were made by my boss at that time, who subsequently became the chief secretary.
(39:42) He was principal secretary of industries and I was managing director of the industrial corporation and commissioner of industries. So, Pradeep Chandra Garu was able to convince them. They We had heard that IKEA is looking at India. And we had also heard that they have chosen Bangalore. They have decided to go to Bangalore.
(40:02) So, there was a meeting organized in Delhi where IKEA IKEA representatives were were also there. So, Pradeep Chandra Garu attended that meeting and he was able to convince them that why don't you look at evaluate Hyderabad also and see what is uh, possible in Hyderabad. And then they came and when they saw Hyderabad etc. etc.
(40:24) they found it to be a very conducive place. And then initial discussions happened. And then um Pradeep Garu was able to convince the government also, the Chief Minister etc. that we should give them uh lands at a prime location. And in those days now we know where the IKEA store is. In the in that time also this was a good location, the Raidurg as we know.
(40:47) So, but it was in the combined state. So, the Chief Minister at that time, Kiran Kumar Reddy Garu, he was convinced that yes uh we should encourage and we should give them a piece of land there only. And those decisions were taken. And then Pradeep Garu completed his tenure, he retired.
(41:06) Then I took over and the subsequent discussions with IKEA how do you establish, how do you create ease of doing business, how should you not run around different departments. Everything that you require, I will take personal responsibility. I will deliver it far ahead of time than what you imagine. Suppose you expect that something will take uh 1 month to happen because of the government systems, I'll do it in 1 week itself and show to them that see we value you.
(41:36) So, that feeling that I'm welcoming them, there is a red carpet, they're important for us. All their requirements will be met by one single phone call or a text message. They don't have to run around. That experience uh uh was there when I was leading that initiative. And then obviously the store came up and it became the first store and so How big was this for Hyderabad? It It has a very good uh signaling effect.
(42:04) See, it is like this that when uh Microsoft came to Hyderabad, I mentioned a while ago that Hyderabad was a small IT center, nothing very special about it. But when uh Chandrababu Garu was able to convince Bill Gates that Hyderabad is the place that you should come. And when Microsoft established their office, it created a sense of validity.
(42:24) That if Microsoft has chosen to go there, obviously there is something good about that place and I don't need to worry too much if I am also deciding about Hyderabad. So Microsoft and many companies then due due to this uh state separation state separation agitation a momentum slowly ended. And then we built it up again from 2014 onwards.
(42:52) So that this is a place where work is done professionally. No one hassles you. See government shall I put that in a moment and make a recommendation you bundle agree I will send you a bundle of the top of the I mean this is what people think about India. That it's a very difficult place to do business. You will be troubled.
(43:10) You will be harassed. By encouraging IKEA to come here and to show that it can be turned around in record time. We were able to signal to the world that yeah, that same red carpet treatment is available for all of you also. And many companies so And of course the fact see many people who live in the US and all and also professionals who are familiar with the world.
(43:35) IKEA is also an important place where you buy at least your first set of furniture and all that. That even your table looks like an IKEA table. So people know the importance of IKEA that it gives innovative products at a very affordable price and all that. So that also is a plus point for people who are so in Hyderabad as you would know the profile of the tech sector is that there are large number of people who have moved in from other cities.
(44:02) And they have made Hyderabad their home. So to have let us say cultural life, nightlife, shopping experience and all these things recreational experiences. These things matter to them that the quality of life will be good here. So, So, T-Hub and completely me project. So, I'm sure some things might have left behind sir when you were you know, initiating T-Hub.
(44:33) Is there anything particularly that you that didn't make it to the T-Hub project? See, it is like this. The idea was very radical at that time. In fact, most of the people in the corporate sector and investment community they used to actively tell us that government should not be in this business. Oxford, Cambridge innovation ecosystem cover to even Bangalore in our country closer home.
(45:07) Nowhere did government do anything to create that innovation ecosystem. It just happened. Of course, someone anchored it. So, in the US the universities anchored it. Stanford, Berkeley, Caltech while I'm doing similarly in Oxford, Cambridge academic institutions played some role in Bangalore. The first big set of startups which became successful like Flipkart and all these people they pushed the innovation ecosystem.
(45:41) Government came far far later. So, this used to be the message given to us that government And we will name a little. So, this was the first big decision that everyone is saying don't do it. Should we go ahead and or not? So, finally the government felt that no, no, it and the government at which point we can still intervene without doing too much of over regulation, micromanagement.
(46:18) We can still make a difference. And after we decided to enter into this area, this domain, the other very big decision was where I can say that I had some influence. The first decision was a collective decision led by the minister largely. But this second point that who will run this institution? Suppose we build a huge fancy building, we spend government money, but who will run that institution? So, I was able to convince everyone that while there could be some talent in the government, there is far better talent outside the government to run these kind
(46:52) of institutions. Let us try to bring uh better people, best people from outside the government to work with us. So, this responsibility was completely left to me. And then we have any discount or at least discount or and what I can buy that I start to work salary at home to me while I am work just to work by now.
(47:11) Uh board a little bit where they don't get to do all these SOPs and all I I mean all the nitty-gritties. I mean the bigger decision that state should get into the world of innovation, state should spend money to build something like T-Hub was as I told addition directed directly taken by the minister. Done mentally implement to do but these rest of the things which are also very important.
(47:36) Suppose I had advised the minister that I have some joint director in my office, I will make him the CEO at the end of the day. T-Hub would have collapsed in 1 month. But today, 12 years have gone by, it is seen as a global role model not just in Hyderabad or India. It's because of some of these decisions that we took that will bring talent, we'll give them autonomy, will give them respect.
(47:59) We will have a professional board. The board will manage it. Government will stay away. Government won't interfere in day-to-day operations. These are the things which have really worked. Mhm. Yes, sir. And made it put Bangalore on the record. Bangalore is known for startup culture. Do you think we are close to where Bangalore is? So, I I No, no, we are we are not very close.
(48:25) I I won't say that Bangalore to [clears throat] income opportunity or city will not But, there are lots of things which earlier people would just not find in Hyderabad. We have been able to create all that. There's a pool of mentors, corporates support on the seed funding on the And government also has a very good policy to become the customers of startups.
(48:50) Some of these things are not there in Bangalore. But, again, legacy is very strong because the most successful startups of our country originated either in Bangalore or in Gurgaon. Some push I mean some pull rather that if you go to Bangalore, be able to make it big etc. It's like this. If you have an aspiring film actor, everyone tells that you have to go to Mumbai and you can struggle there.
(49:18) But, again, over the years we have seen that the center of filmmaking actually has shifted to Hyderabad. Bollywood and about town, but the real action is happening here in in in the in Hyderabad and Chennai and Bangalore to some extent. So, same is true that people think of Bangalore, but gradually other cities are also becoming important, but I won't say that we have reached that position where we can outcompete Bangalore, but we have laid a good foundation.
(49:47) It will take time, but I have no doubt that we will get there for sure. Sir, you worked a lot with AI. You developed for government itself. And right now the government AI made a tax way out and consider just another. What do you think about that? Uh see, I don't have much details and then tax way down key card number one day or two day month of one day, but I personally won't recommend recommend it because this is something which will work a lot for public good.
(50:23) In fact, I have seen in our state elsewhere, there are lots of AI conferences, etc. I have attended. And I am very, very sure that certain problems that humanity has faced forever, so to say. I mean, there are certain issues people think will not change in our lifetimes. AI has the power and potential to change all that, to make a difference.
(50:45) So, when we have such a powerful tool to help people at large, what is the logic of taxing it? So, I but I'm not very uh deeply familiar with the rationale and background, etc. But intuitive answer is that let it thrive. And should not be taxed and that's Yes, sir. Sir, you have been through uh changes with many governments.
(51:10) We do any governments matter matter constant guy you are delivering. What is your inspiration, sir? Where does it come from? So, I told you that getting into this uh civil services was to me, it was really like a miracle. I never anticipated that I'll get through. And that to get through so easily without any struggle.
(51:31) I faced zero struggle. The preparation which I did was also with enjoyment, relaxation. And in the very first attempt I got through, I got the first rank. So, I really feel that this is a blessing for me. And then English local summit on 20. Count your blessings and tell her. So, that is the philosophy which has guided me forever.
(51:56) That you have been given this responsibility to achieve some purpose. And the purpose is not your own self-glory or accumulating some comforts, etc., etc. But, to be true to your profession in that job, whatever is expected of you. So, if in the IT sector, it is expected to grow that sector, create more jobs for young people, bridge the digital divide, I will do that work.
(52:25) If in the metropolitan area, if the expectation is that I should complete infrastructure projects quickly, make life easy for citizens, look at even the most vulnerable citizens, that is what I will do. So, my focus has always been on outcome. And also, how fast you can deliver the outcome and with whose support you can deliver that outcome.
(52:46) So, I don't worry too much whether it is this government or that government and this and that. I have been given a task. I understand the task and what do I need to deliver? It is my only focus, no other no other thing. So, that is how maybe people who are in the government in leadership position, sometimes they appreciate it that I know just uh uh results goes on work just to do and he does bring results.
(53:12) So, even if you work with the previous government, because he has that talent, I should not let it go waste and I let him let him be utilized for important responsibility. So, So, lastly, sir, for young girls like me, young people, uh me to my cooker inspiration for what you've given back to Hyderabad and Telangana.
(53:33) So, for me personally, it is a honor to be even talking to you. So, like me, what would you a message to our young B&S audience, sir? So, you know, uh uh okay, they just tell them that uh at a very very early stage in your life you should be able to assess yourself very thoroughly. What are you good at? What can you do? What is your aptitude? What makes you happy? At a self-awareness and that self-understanding.
(54:05) And once you have that self-awareness what path will work the best for Just pursue it and build a support system around you. So, but you have to take that leap. You cannot just sit back and hope that things will uh English learn you have to drive your own destiny. And obviously, we live in a society where women have faced barriers.
(54:37) You don't have to you know wish you all the best. You have to work what you so We must have that confidence that if we have ability and merit and that determination, doors will open for us. So, good wishes to both of you. Yes, sir. Your sister is not in the camera. She's behind the camera, but unless she's in the room.
(55:01) So, So, thank you, sir. Thank you so much, sir. Thank you so much for being with us on Unscripted. Thank you. Thank you. Welcome. >> [music]
Author Name:Unscripted with Meghana Reddy
Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@UnscriptedMeghana
Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy2a6UaJv88
Title: Jayesh Ranjan: Inside Telangana’s IT Empire (Telugu Podcast) | Unscripted
Author Name: Unscripted with Meghana Reddy
Description: Jayesh Ranjan IAS sits down for an unscripted conversation on how Telangana built one of India’s fastest-growing IT and industries ecosystems — and what it really takes to run a state’s economy.
In this episode of Unscripted with Meghana Reddy, we go beyond the headlines with one of Telangana’s most respected bureaucrats. Jayesh Ranjan shares the thinking behind the state’s tech rise, the role of governance and AI in building a future-ready administration, and the lessons founders and policymakers can take from how Telangana positioned itself on the global map.
We talk about:
• How Telangana became a magnet for IT and global capability centres
• The mindset of a bureaucrat who thinks like a founder
• AI, innovation, and the future of governance in India
• What young entrepreneurs get wrong about working with the system
• The career and decisions that shaped one of India’s most recognised IAS officers
🎙️ Podcast by: Meghana Reddy
👤 Guest: Jayesh Ranjan IAS
Presented by :The BNS Media
Host : Meghana Reddy Marella
Creative Director : Samaya Reddy Marella
Cinematographer : T Venkata Sreenivasa Rao
Teaser Editor : Karthik Sriraj
Promo Editor : Bhavana Jithendra
Editor : Raviteja Midatala
Music : Fau
Thumbnail : Nandikanti Vijay
#jayeshranjan #hyderabad #hmda #telangana #podcast #hyderabaddevelopment #urbandevelopment #greaterhyderabad #iasofficer #unscripted #meghanareddy #telangananews #infrastructure #hyderabadnews #bnsmedia
VIDEO TIME STAMPS
0:00 Introduction
1:18 The Beginning of His Journey
7:44 Life with a Navy Father
14:11 Bridging the Digital Divide
17:03 Reverse Brain Drain in India
24:43 How Psychology Helped in Bureaucracy
27:02 Working with Different Governments
32:40 The Importance of Sports
39:21 Bringing IKEA to Hyderabad
44:23 Building T-Hub
48:12 Hyderabad Startup Ecosystem
53:21 Message to Young Minds
Transcript:
(00:00) You studied psychology and not economics or engineering. IT ecosystem built share money is not what you signed up for. There's a term in English called zombies. Sir, if I can talk about your dad, he used to be in navy and then later went underground and This emergency was declared and obviously it's a very draconian thing.
(00:28) Sir, after the bifurcation, you have worked with the PRS government and Congress. I was called by the current chief minister and I went with a bit of anxiety. I mean, why is he calling me? >> [music] >> Last 20 years low Hyderabad Skyline, startups Thank you so much, sir, for being with
(01:19) us today. Welcome to Unscripted with Meghna. It's It's truly an honor. Thanks. Thanks very much. Thanks for having me here. >> Thank you, sir. So, to start off, you grew up in Lucknow. Yes. And you spent most of your time in Hyderabad. You studied psychology and not economics or engineering. So, it's in a very conventional prediction.
(01:45) You know, 33 years IT and IT ecosystem built share money is not what you signed up for. So, where did it all begin, sir? See, it's like this. So, I studied psychology, but I studied more also. I did a management course from IIM Calcutta and obviously the intention was to get into the corporate world. But while studying, I we have to do a internship, summer internship, first year, second year middle.
(02:28) And not at all that I am pitching it that life long then you not about to watch it and now I will not life spoil causing my life spoil then I thought that what else can I do if I'm not going to pursue a corporate career, what are the other options? So I thought of three four options, but then I felt that civil services is also a good option and I'm from Lucknow as you know, so lots of influence of the bureaucracy officers.
(03:00) There are a few in my family as well, but I was not very sure whether I'll get through that competitive process to get into the IAS has a very complicated and a very tough kind of a selection process. So not that I mean that I am before studying MBA I was studying psychology in Delhi. So exams I will proceed exam
(03:53) So there's a term in English called zombies. Hello breath going to the job zombies land like I wanted it. So, I was very apprehensive that how will I be able to compete with those zombies who are living breathing every minute this exam preparation. I was not like that. I was taking everything in a balanced way.
(04:13) I was studying, but I was not studying like a zombie. Yes. Yes. But through divine blessings and good luck, I was able to get through straight away. So, what happens is that when you are selected in the IAS, by and large throughout the country, there is a uniform pattern. With the community, with the people. Rural area postings, small district, small town postings.
(04:45) After that, you come to the state headquarter where you do different kinds of postings. Depending upon what is available at that time. What the political leadership feels about you. And then you have the option to complete the rest of your career in Government of India. >> Yes. You become the additional secretary, secretary.
(05:05) You manage the subject for the entire country. So, I did postings mostly in Railaseema area. Chittoor, Kurnool, Kadapa. And then I came to Hyderabad. So, Hyderabad I was in the combined state. I was working I worked in largely two sectors. One was urban development and one was tourism. Yes. And after that and >> [clears throat] >> industries.
(05:39) And after that, the state got bifurcated. So, I was working in industries and most of us would recall that the IT portfolio in the in the first government of the new state of Telangana was held by Mr. K.T. Rama Rao. So, he might have made some inquiries that will be a good person who will be able to So, to develop the IT ecosystem, you have to work with lots of external stakeholders.
(06:05) Okay, government kind of you have to work with so many IT companies, innovators, academic institutions, Government of India, international governments. So, who is the person who has some aptitude for this kind of work? So, somehow he must have heard about me or learned about me. I had met him on a few occasions before that.
(06:25) So, he recommended to the Chief Minister that I be brought in that sector. And then we have started working and then results started coming very fast. I think 2014, I don't know whether you had you have recollection of 2014. You may be very very young, but Hyderabad was not a very kind of a mainstream IT center.
(06:47) There were IT companies, not to say that there's no IT. We were not at zero, but as compared to Bangalore, which was skyrocketing, we were still at a laid-back kind of an IT destination. So, from 2014 onwards, we were able to bring in lots of changes and lots of new companies started coming, lots of star startups. We created institutions like T-Hub, etc.
(07:11) So, when everyone saw that results are coming, they felt that fine, I mean, this person is bringing results. Let us continue with him. So, but after the government has changed also, I continued there for some time. But then the Chief Minister felt that I should uh look after uh a different responsibility, which is that of metropolitan area.
(07:40) So, I put in a request metropolitan area budget and service Yes, sir. Sir, if I can talk about your dad, he used to be in navy and then later went underground and started working on an anti-emergency paper. So, to see a man all your life to be so so against the government and stuff and you serving the How did like did it ever mismatch? Did it ever hit you? See, it is like this.
(08:08) The government [clears throat] also has lots of things which can be done for the common person. And my father's attitude was not to kind of not to rebel against the establishment, but his priority was to look look at the people who were in that organizational culture at the bottom of the pyramid. So, for example, he also was an MBA coincidentally and after finishing his work MBA, he worked in private companies.
(08:39) In those days, some of the leading private companies. So, I can give you an example. He worked in Coca-Cola. He worked in Bata. In those days, these these were very very big companies. So, let us say Bata Bata or Coca-Cola. So, one So, in India in those days, the management culture was still very British. Like you have your separate chambers, separate cabins.
(09:02) You don't talk to anyone else. You only talk to your peer. You speak only in English. They used to carry a briefcase. So, outside they were all called boxwallahs. So, you become behave like a boxwallah. You have some club membership. You only move in those elite kind of circles. But my father's attitude was very different.
(09:23) When he would come to the office, he would go to the production area. He would talk to the workers. He would find out what is the issue they are facing, if something has to be brought to the management's notice. So, the management did not like it. This was not the way managers were supposed to behave. They were not supposed to go and talk to workers.
(09:41) They would not even acknowledge the existence of workers. Workers were supposed to be all invisible, below their level, far below their level. So, they somehow did not like it, and uh he was pushed out of these companies. I mean, while he was doing his job well, but because of this aberration in his behavior, that he's talking to workers, he's mingling with them, he was removed, and then uh at that point in time uh India started a war with uh Bangla uh with Pakistan, actually, for the cause of Bangladesh, to create a separate uh country, and uh
(10:15) uh it's not openly admitted, but in the initial phases, India was losing that war. India was not really uh because Pakistan had lots of support from US and others. So, India was not doing well. So, the prime minister at that time, uh Indira Gandhi got a local general local people each other that everybody you okay you would look at war efforts low all go early they shall we say what you are yet plenty of a way plan all of you want to take me volunteer a one day.
(10:44) So, my father in any case was not happy in the corporate setup. He was not uh encouraged, and they were pushing him out. So, he quit. And he joined the Navy, and he uh performed uh good services. In fact, uh middle of >> [clears throat] >> the kind of a good cinema to see you guys see me there. >> Yes, yes, of course.
(11:04) Gazi is a name of a Pakistani ship which was sunk by Indian Navy. So, he went line actual to go on the road. Cinema children of a day, but when the actual Gazi episode happened, he was on an Indian ship called the Rajput. So, uh you don't know when I get those India did well eventually, and Bangladesh became a new country.
(11:29) But after that, the work there became very administrative. There is no war, there is no action. You're just sitting in the office, you're writing some reports and all that. So, which he did not really enjoy. Then he quit. And again, coincidentally, as some member this emergency was declared and obviously it's a very draconian thing that people's rights are curtailed and so much of kind of restrictions on your freedoms and so many important people jailed just because they are protesting.
(11:59) So, my father somehow felt that he should react to that situation. He should not just sit and take it easy. So, one of the important leaders who was protesting against emergency, his name was Jayaprakash Narayan. So, through some network he got connected. And Jayaprakash Narayan noticed that he is well educated, he's an MBA from an IIM, he speaks English very nicely.
(12:25) He writes well. So, he asked him to work on a newspaper. So, in those days the regular media, the regular newspaper used to go through censorship. At the rate my paper lawyer about the mirror is down narrow window Roger mirror sensor officials get you pinch out of me. And well on a minute is 10 A.M. Page newspaper lawyer report to me.
(12:45) Otherwise, it has to be removed. So, anything critical of the government, critical of anti-government, etc. Everything was removed. So, just as before our conversation started, you were telling that mainstream media Vedanta credibility later. So, up ruin the newspapers per stick with her ugly.
(13:04) Under the bottom news they were giving was all sanitized. Everyone knew that this is not the real news. The real news has been totally removed. Only a filtered kind of thing, one-sided thing has come. So, he Jayaprakash Narayan had started an underground newspaper. The newspaper every roster narrow echo print out the only at the distributor town the entire Yeah, everything was kept secret.
(13:29) So, my father was involved in that activity to write reports, to print it, to get it delivered. So, it was a very I mean, I don't have too much of personal knowledge, but what he would tell was that it was all very exciting. That it love police while it love couple of custom total, but independent guy I do these kind of things.
(13:50) So, it was a good kind of an experience. So, he by a large from his life one can derive that he was always working for the underdog. People who are very vulnerable bugging this a positive on the one. You work it with no wonder while a partial on the demo while I turn from a matter that I do. So, in the government it is not a contradiction.
(14:10) I mean, there are many things which uh the government does. And uh I'll give you an example. Everyone thinks of this uh Gachibowli, the high-tech city, the big campuses, the Googles, the Apples, and all those things. That is fine. That is great. But, in the time that I spent in that sector, I also did lots of work on what is called as a digital divide.
(14:36) See, digital divide I'm sure you're familiar with it. People who for example, who have not gone to higher education, who don't speak English, who don't have access to uh gadgets, modern gadgets. It is felt that they will not benefit from technology because uh English is the usual language of accessing technology and some amount of schooling or colleging has college has to be done.
(15:01) Plus, access to gadget, a smartphone at least has to be there. But, it's a very real phenomena. But, many of the things which we did in Telangana have made us as a state far advanced in terms of using digital technologies even now. In rural areas, farmers are able to use technologies, women self-help groups are able to use technology, a simple youth in a village is able to use technology because of some of the important work we did on digital divide.
(15:30) In minimizing this I won't say it is zero. But as compared to many other states, we gave attention to it, we worked on it, we created programs and so on and so forth. So, Rabo Rojo ever pretty okay technology technology a lot of life by the part of you. So, Telangana we have created that foundation. That technology when you come to that Atlanta never stop on the Not many people talk about it.
(16:03) They only talk about this big offices and all these big companies etc. But lots of foundational work was done and in earlier roles also when I was working in the districts and smaller towns, I have implemented a very kind of a landmark poverty elevation project. People who are the poorest of the poor I don't know better than them.
(16:27) While I need to go to poverty I was able to showcase that in Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh. So, in the government also you can work for the poor, you can help them, you can create a lifelong a opportunity for them which I have done in so many opportunities. So, common person but that sensitive for human Yeah, much you got on them.
(16:53) government wanted a sad young man in the garden While being in the government also you can be compassionate and kind towards the common person. >> Yes, sir. So, moving on to your mom's head. Um uh I'm a close money or turn down down my flow uh offer to study psychology in US. Yes. So, and you put it Telangana 20 47 program is about brain drain reverse brain drain to bring back all the researchers that left Telangana.
(17:25) So you know you gave up your life there and now you are you've built all this here but still there are a lot of students H1B visa goes on way just now. Andhra Pradesh and Telangana and it's Telangana and it's also a lot of them. So how do you address this sir? So there is nothing wrong in it. In fact I personally subsequently while I did not go to the US at that time because of family issues but the weather now cool in Kolkata city I might have to check with the occasion which in the I went there I I went to the US I studied public policy
(18:03) and I still feel that foreign education or overseas education is important. I mean it creates lots of exposure new perception new perceptions new in perspectives new insights it uh is a system which is very different from the way education school education college education is delivered in India. I've studied in a very good institution as I told you I went to I am Kolkata I was in Delhi University for those disciplines these are considered to be the best but if you ask me after finishing my MBA how was your experience? So
(18:42) uh tell them to shut up at the at the but particularly uh among the young people one very common expression used is that mind-blowing. So my education was mind-blowing but my expression would be that my two years of education was mind-numbing. And they what I can independently think also got reduced there. >> So even the best institutions failed to kind of excite me I mean I'm not saying that everything was bad.
(19:12) There were some great professors, some classes were phenomenal. I still remember some of the sessions, some of the classes. Plus, in higher education, the learning is not just in the class. You also learn quite a lot from interactions and the assignments that you do and all. So, I mean, by I mean, some brilliant things also happened there.
(19:33) But, on an average, if you ask me, I did not really feel stimulated or motivated and all that. But, if you study in the US or UK in good universities, I'm not saying that everything is rosy abroad. There are also some very, very average institutions are there. But, if you get a chance to study in a good university or college, it is worth spending.
(19:55) Now, whether you choose to stay back or come back, it's your choice. But, nowadays, I personally feel that you can stay back if there are some other compelling reasons. But, while staying back also, you can still contribute quite a lot. And, I've seen this as a part of my work. I interact with lots of people of Indian origin who are living in the US or UK or elsewhere.
(20:20) And, many of them have supported us by doing some partnerships with us and bringing some technologies or doing some projects and so on and so forth. In fact, uh it's a good coincidence that we are talking today. Tomorrow, coincidentally, we are signing a MOU between GHMC and IIT Kharagpur. To See, as you know, lots of waterborne diseases happen, particularly rainy season.
(20:51) First time they went and they just come. Chicken gunia, some dengue, all these kind of things. And, I'm currently involved in this metropolitan area. So, these are things which immediately fall upon us. That me Atlanta dengue on the chicken gunia aspect. So, of course, some action is being taken, but now we are trying to bring lots of science into this.
(21:13) So, there's a person of Indian origin who lives in I think he lives in San Francisco or Los Angeles or somewhere. A very prominent person. Uh his name is Vivek Wadhwa. He has patented a technology which uses AI to detect what to check in small samples of water. What is the potential of that sample causing uh uh mosquito breeding and uh creating bacteria and all those things.
(21:39) So, tomorrow we are signing that thing. So, this was all done through Vivek Wadhwa. He lives there. He has studied there. He has gained uh knowledge there. But, he has decided to bring it to Hyderabad. And it's not at all a commercial initiative. He's doing it completely free of cost. >> And he's back to Hyderabad. No, no.
(21:57) He continues to operate from there, but for the MOU purposes, he has decided to do it here in Hyderabad because of my familiarity with He's a tech entrepreneur. So, But, if you're staying in the US because it's a very cool place and all that, that is not such a compelling reason anymore.
(22:30) Our city is also In fact, I know of many people who have come back and who are working in the sector here. And many of them I meet them frequently. Many of them tell that we don't really miss anything. And the US law Anything is there also, it is very frivolous thing. So, one person told me that there is a brand of toothpaste which I used to use in the US.
(23:02) That I don't get here in India. Which is a superficial thing. So, Crest for example. So, in the US Crest is a popular toothpaste brand. In India, we don't Crest is not retailed here, but we have our own uh you know, Colgate's and I mean all these other even other things. So, it So, it if at all you're missing something, it's only superficial.
(23:24) Other than that, the quality of life, the quality of institutions, the schools, some of our international schools, some of the health care institutions. Suppose you go to let us say the top 10 hospitals in Hyderabad. Normally, if you stand at the reception, behind the reception, they put a board the names of all the doctors and all that.
(23:44) And if you just stand and read, you will notice that literally everyone has studied in the West, has worked there, has experience there. And obviously, they've chosen to come back. So, if you're going to a hospital in the US, you'd have seen the same kind of people which you are seeing here in India. So, there's no big difference.
(24:00) At least in large cities, in Hyderabad, Bangalore, and possibly Mumbai, Delhi, etc., the quality of life is no different. I mean, some issues are still there, which I'm not defending. For example, let us say our driving habits, our cleanliness, and all these things. I mean, not just in the US, across the world, there is a particular discipline which people used to lead their life.
(24:24) In India, it is not changing too much. People say that it's a cultural thing. Obviously, those things will be not worth kind of defending. But in general, the quality of life, quality of institutions is not very different. >> Mhm. Yes, sir. So, you have done IIM Calcutta marketing. You've done your psychology degree, sir.
(24:51) Seems like that comes out of interest. So, you think it has helped you in your bureaucratic journey? Yeah, yeah. So, it has helped. So, see it is like this. Any course that you study, there are two ways of studying it. One is that you just study hoping to get some degree and hoping that that degree will be of use. But that one that I can achieve and it's just a time pass.
(25:17) A degree challenge but sometimes you do some studies with lots of passion, with lots of interest and all that. So, I really studied uh psychology with that kind of interest and kind of passion and all that. Of course, I did well in the exam. I was the gold medalist and all that but I also learned it, I internalized it.
(25:37) And now I feel that it is very very useful. See, so in any profession, I'm not saying that only as a bureaucrat but in any profession certain skills are very important. How do you construct the situation? How do you react? How do you judge the other person? How should you not misjudge someone? How do you kind of think of all options, etc., etc.
(25:58) So, I personally feel that because I studied and I immersed myself in that study, I learned a lot, I practiced as a student itself quite a lot and therefore in these skills, I am pretty good now and therefore it helps my work. I'm able to uh arrive at decisions quicker. I'm able to arrive at decisions which actually work better.
(26:22) I'm able to nurture my team better. I know who will be motivated with what kind of gesture or comments or support, etc. So, eventually you mentioned about IT a while ago and in any other job also where I've been able to show results, I I mean, while speaking I say I I but the reality is that there is a big team around me which delivers all of it and the mantra, the management mantra which I follow is that as the head of that institution your job is to inspire and nurture these people who are around you.
(26:56) And I'm able to do that better just because of my training. Yeah. So sir, after the bifurcation, you have worked with BRS government and Congress. So there was a transition. So when there's a transition, you have con and then Hyderabad you have built in one government and going to this government, suddenly everything changes.
(27:21) So how does the first 72 hours after the government change, how does it look like? >> So I'm very fortunate. I I don't recall precisely whether it was within 72 hours or not, but very very early, within a few days. I was called by the current chief minister. And I went with a bit of anxiety. I mean, why is he calling me? I mean, he spent some 15-20 minutes with me and they were an extremely motivating 15 minutes for me.
(27:50) He told many things, but one important thing which he told was that I know that you have brought good results. You have brought good name and reputation for the previous government. Now you should outperform and bring even better name for our government. So it's a very motivating thing to hear. If the leader of the state is telling you that work even harder, outperform them, bring even better results.
(28:17) These are the exact words we are waiting to hear all our life from our political leaders. So I found it to be extremely motivating. And he told that give, I mean, better ideas, better suggestions. Just as you worked out to bring good reputation to the previous government, do even hard work harder. And since then, I mean, approximately two years five months have gone by.
(28:44) My experience has been like that. I have worked in that particular sector. for an interim period. There was a sudden crisis in the tourism sector. The government had to organize this Miss World event and there was no one to look after that responsibility. So, I was suddenly given that responsibility and then I completed that assignment, remained in the tourism sector for a while and now I have become full-time responsible for metropolitan area.
(29:08) Yeah, the government is banking quite a lot on doing hardcore infra projects. So, Telangana and Hyderabad in particular, this is one of the reputation that we have earned over the years, over the decades actually, that unlike a Bangalore, where only after things become totally messy and critical, does the government wake up and do something.
(29:31) Here, we are considered to be a very proactive government. From the time that ORR was built and the airport was developed, since then, people have noticed that in this government, before anything happens, any crisis happens, government has already gone five steps ahead. So, this is the expectation. And that is what I'm working on.
(29:49) >> Yes, sir. As you mentioned, assignments, you were a part of it. Me choice got to like someone asked you to lead, you know, different assignments. How did you feel being a part of different different scattered thing? So, see, what happens typically is that the IAS service is designed like that, that you work in multiple assignments to get a very holistic view of governance and then towards the end, you put all that together and you provide some strategic leadership to the bureaucracy, to the government. So, okay,
(30:28) even in very good states, well-governed states, you are given a role till 2 and 1/2 years, 3 years and then you move to the next assignment, next assignment. But frankly, if I look back at my career, I haven't done so many assignments. In fact, in this IT sector, so as I said, I worked for almost 11 and 1/2 years IT and industry sector.
(30:48) So, as I told you, the norm is to work for 3 years. If you work for a fourth year, people consider it a bonus. And if you work for one more year, 5 years, it is considered like a miracle. I worked for 11 and 1/2 years. I mean, there are no terms also to describe what happened. So, but most of my assignments have been like that.
(31:10) Which is your favorite assignment? So, actually, there is a side assignment which I'm doing now, which is actually my favorite. So, not many people consider it to be a very mainstream assignment. It is seen to be a small-time assignment, but for the last uh more than 1 year, I'm in charge of sports portfolio. So, that is giving me lots of happiness.
(31:35) Sports is uh not a very I mean, we all follow sports. Some of us play sport, but from an administration perspective, there's nothing very great or glamorous or very significant. The department also has a small budget. There is hardly 20 member in my sports team. It's not a very big So, in the bureaucracy, these are some of the determinants of whether you are holding an important post or not.
(31:59) How big is your department? How much is your budget? So, in contrast, the municipal department, the metropolitan department that I had is really a big one. I have almost 20 IAS officers working under me. And we have budget, etc., etc. Plus, in the metropolitan areas, you know, 40% of the state's population lives. We contribute to almost 2/3 of the state GDP.
(32:20) So, that responsibility in terms of numbers and all that is very, very high. But the sports thing, which is just the reverse. I have just 20 people. The budget is not even 1/500 of what I have in metropolitan. I don't have any IAS officer with me in the sports and all, but I feel very attached to that world. >> Cuz you would play sports, huh? Play sports and I feel that it has not been valued enough in our country.
(32:46) It is a activity which has great potential. I mean, I've seen so many other countries where sports has given such a big multiplier effect. It is not just the elite athletes who win Olympic medals and all that. The sporting culture sports teaches you quite a lot. I mean, if you're a sports person. Countries like Australia is an amazing country.
(33:06) Every child plays something or the other. Every family supports that child even if the child is 4 years old. At 4 years, there is no sign of what greatness you will achieve in sports, but still the parents take you out, they sit with you, they monitor your scores, they write it in a sheet, they take your pictures, they create a scrapbook.
(33:26) So, it is so much of a wonderful thing to see. So, when I came to the park again, I started sports again, but I'm trying to make some effort. >> But there is a change that you feel compared to that. >> a change, fortunately. But they last 10-20 years low quanta per 60 part in the because there was so much of stress from the parents.
(33:47) The children should attend coaching classes 24/7. They should be studying. And getting into this MSET, NEET, IIT. These are the only goals of your life. I would balance the only color, but I guess gradually parents are also realizing that putting your child under too much of stress and creating only a one track life for him, you're doing a great injustice to the child.
(34:13) And even though without studying 24/7, the child can still succeed in life because other than MSET also, there are hundreds of career options. Many of them are far better. So, if you do that, I think you may you do yoga podcaster going to media company in the world with my sister only. Both of you also could have been pressured by your parents to only write the same set exam, study engineering.
(34:39) But I don't know how he brought you up, but I'm I'm guessing that he gave you choice that you can do whatever you want and today you are quite successful. You have become an entrepreneur, you started your own channel, you become a role model. So, every parent realizes that there is no need to force someone to just prepare for something which has better options against it today. Yes, sir.
(35:06) So, in one of your Yeah, one of your previous interviews, you called Telangana as an island growth, sir. So, it is a critique to party government and also government and to yourself. So, what do you think about that, sir? You take it as a critique, critically you analyzed Telangana, or you know, there is potential to more growth. No, no, sir.
(35:31) That is not how I meant it when I said so. What what I'm trying to tell is that see Bharat Desam the Telangana chapter of the that while we are progressing, our government has ambitious targets. So, Pradhan could have 2047 color because it Bharat and then we should become an advanced country. When I rush to go to 3 trillion dollar economy guide to go to 2047 not to key.
(35:56) Various other governments are also having grand plans, but what concerns me that in our country particularly and not just in our state, but across the country the growth is very skewed. What is called as income disparity. So, that is becoming wider and wider and wider. So, that is what I meant that some people are benefiting more than others.
(36:19) And then in the digital divide going to Japan. Also, that also is related to this phenomenon. Those who who progressing more than others are typically the people who are using digital technology to their advantage. And uh those who are not able to use technology, they are getting left behind. And for other reasons also, they are getting left behind.
(36:42) For example, in the job market, quality as you would know, uh there are many colleges which teach sub-standard, there is no quality, and I'll give you an example and I So, recently, uh the police department conducted an exam to recruit constables. And we read in the newspapers that uh 100 B.
(37:13) Techs, PhDs I exam they tried to get into that exam. So, see, [clears throat] so first of all, I'm not demeaning the role of a constable. A constable is also a very valuable position and it does so much of good to the society. So, it the constables are not seeing anything like that. But constable to get into the B.Tech, you don't need a PhD. Basic education is enough.
(37:42) But still, why are B.Techs applying for a constable post? Why are PhDs applying for a constable post? So, the answer is that it is not that there are no there are no engineering jobs, there are no academic jobs, there are enough jobs. But these are people who just have a paper degree of B.Tech. There is no quality behind that B.
(38:01) Tech and therefore no good company will recruit them. And therefore, they have come to appear for a constable's exams, etc., etc. So, people of this kind who have not received any quality education, who are unfamiliar with latest technologies. In fact, in many particularly in college events and all. I have spoken, very, very harshly.
(38:28) In fact, I have used a phrase that if you don't master AI, you will be killed. I mean, you know, So, I mean, there is some exaggeration in what I'm saying, but there is also some truth in what I tell. So, this is what I meant, that if it the growth was uniform, that anyone who has studied BTech has a bright career in technology, engineering.
(38:59) Anyone who has done a PhD has a bright career in research or academics. If that happens uniformly across the state, then I will say that it is a uniform growth. Otherwise, it is just money uh, money will turn around. And obviously, in our vision document that we have created, we have taken care of that. We have addressed uh, this phenomena directly. Yes, sir.
(39:21) Uh, so, let's talk about your successful projects in Hyderabad, sir. First is IKEA. IKEA coming to Hyderabad, was a big thing back then. It was the first ever in the country. How did you crack this? See, it is like this. So, first round of discussions were made by my boss at that time, who subsequently became the chief secretary.
(39:42) He was principal secretary of industries and I was managing director of the industrial corporation and commissioner of industries. So, Pradeep Chandra Garu was able to convince them. They We had heard that IKEA is looking at India. And we had also heard that they have chosen Bangalore. They have decided to go to Bangalore.
(40:02) So, there was a meeting organized in Delhi where IKEA IKEA representatives were were also there. So, Pradeep Chandra Garu attended that meeting and he was able to convince them that why don't you look at evaluate Hyderabad also and see what is uh, possible in Hyderabad. And then they came and when they saw Hyderabad etc. etc.
(40:24) they found it to be a very conducive place. And then initial discussions happened. And then um Pradeep Garu was able to convince the government also, the Chief Minister etc. that we should give them uh lands at a prime location. And in those days now we know where the IKEA store is. In the in that time also this was a good location, the Raidurg as we know.
(40:47) So, but it was in the combined state. So, the Chief Minister at that time, Kiran Kumar Reddy Garu, he was convinced that yes uh we should encourage and we should give them a piece of land there only. And those decisions were taken. And then Pradeep Garu completed his tenure, he retired.
(41:06) Then I took over and the subsequent discussions with IKEA how do you establish, how do you create ease of doing business, how should you not run around different departments. Everything that you require, I will take personal responsibility. I will deliver it far ahead of time than what you imagine. Suppose you expect that something will take uh 1 month to happen because of the government systems, I'll do it in 1 week itself and show to them that see we value you.
(41:36) So, that feeling that I'm welcoming them, there is a red carpet, they're important for us. All their requirements will be met by one single phone call or a text message. They don't have to run around. That experience uh uh was there when I was leading that initiative. And then obviously the store came up and it became the first store and so How big was this for Hyderabad? It It has a very good uh signaling effect.
(42:04) See, it is like this that when uh Microsoft came to Hyderabad, I mentioned a while ago that Hyderabad was a small IT center, nothing very special about it. But when uh Chandrababu Garu was able to convince Bill Gates that Hyderabad is the place that you should come. And when Microsoft established their office, it created a sense of validity.
(42:24) That if Microsoft has chosen to go there, obviously there is something good about that place and I don't need to worry too much if I am also deciding about Hyderabad. So Microsoft and many companies then due due to this uh state separation state separation agitation a momentum slowly ended. And then we built it up again from 2014 onwards.
(42:52) So that this is a place where work is done professionally. No one hassles you. See government shall I put that in a moment and make a recommendation you bundle agree I will send you a bundle of the top of the I mean this is what people think about India. That it's a very difficult place to do business. You will be troubled.
(43:10) You will be harassed. By encouraging IKEA to come here and to show that it can be turned around in record time. We were able to signal to the world that yeah, that same red carpet treatment is available for all of you also. And many companies so And of course the fact see many people who live in the US and all and also professionals who are familiar with the world.
(43:35) IKEA is also an important place where you buy at least your first set of furniture and all that. That even your table looks like an IKEA table. So people know the importance of IKEA that it gives innovative products at a very affordable price and all that. So that also is a plus point for people who are so in Hyderabad as you would know the profile of the tech sector is that there are large number of people who have moved in from other cities.
(44:02) And they have made Hyderabad their home. So to have let us say cultural life, nightlife, shopping experience and all these things recreational experiences. These things matter to them that the quality of life will be good here. So, So, T-Hub and completely me project. So, I'm sure some things might have left behind sir when you were you know, initiating T-Hub.
(44:33) Is there anything particularly that you that didn't make it to the T-Hub project? See, it is like this. The idea was very radical at that time. In fact, most of the people in the corporate sector and investment community they used to actively tell us that government should not be in this business. Oxford, Cambridge innovation ecosystem cover to even Bangalore in our country closer home.
(45:07) Nowhere did government do anything to create that innovation ecosystem. It just happened. Of course, someone anchored it. So, in the US the universities anchored it. Stanford, Berkeley, Caltech while I'm doing similarly in Oxford, Cambridge academic institutions played some role in Bangalore. The first big set of startups which became successful like Flipkart and all these people they pushed the innovation ecosystem.
(45:41) Government came far far later. So, this used to be the message given to us that government And we will name a little. So, this was the first big decision that everyone is saying don't do it. Should we go ahead and or not? So, finally the government felt that no, no, it and the government at which point we can still intervene without doing too much of over regulation, micromanagement.
(46:18) We can still make a difference. And after we decided to enter into this area, this domain, the other very big decision was where I can say that I had some influence. The first decision was a collective decision led by the minister largely. But this second point that who will run this institution? Suppose we build a huge fancy building, we spend government money, but who will run that institution? So, I was able to convince everyone that while there could be some talent in the government, there is far better talent outside the government to run these kind
(46:52) of institutions. Let us try to bring uh better people, best people from outside the government to work with us. So, this responsibility was completely left to me. And then we have any discount or at least discount or and what I can buy that I start to work salary at home to me while I am work just to work by now.
(47:11) Uh board a little bit where they don't get to do all these SOPs and all I I mean all the nitty-gritties. I mean the bigger decision that state should get into the world of innovation, state should spend money to build something like T-Hub was as I told addition directed directly taken by the minister. Done mentally implement to do but these rest of the things which are also very important.
(47:36) Suppose I had advised the minister that I have some joint director in my office, I will make him the CEO at the end of the day. T-Hub would have collapsed in 1 month. But today, 12 years have gone by, it is seen as a global role model not just in Hyderabad or India. It's because of some of these decisions that we took that will bring talent, we'll give them autonomy, will give them respect.
(47:59) We will have a professional board. The board will manage it. Government will stay away. Government won't interfere in day-to-day operations. These are the things which have really worked. Mhm. Yes, sir. And made it put Bangalore on the record. Bangalore is known for startup culture. Do you think we are close to where Bangalore is? So, I I No, no, we are we are not very close.
(48:25) I I won't say that Bangalore to [clears throat] income opportunity or city will not But, there are lots of things which earlier people would just not find in Hyderabad. We have been able to create all that. There's a pool of mentors, corporates support on the seed funding on the And government also has a very good policy to become the customers of startups.
(48:50) Some of these things are not there in Bangalore. But, again, legacy is very strong because the most successful startups of our country originated either in Bangalore or in Gurgaon. Some push I mean some pull rather that if you go to Bangalore, be able to make it big etc. It's like this. If you have an aspiring film actor, everyone tells that you have to go to Mumbai and you can struggle there.
(49:18) But, again, over the years we have seen that the center of filmmaking actually has shifted to Hyderabad. Bollywood and about town, but the real action is happening here in in in the in Hyderabad and Chennai and Bangalore to some extent. So, same is true that people think of Bangalore, but gradually other cities are also becoming important, but I won't say that we have reached that position where we can outcompete Bangalore, but we have laid a good foundation.
(49:47) It will take time, but I have no doubt that we will get there for sure. Sir, you worked a lot with AI. You developed for government itself. And right now the government AI made a tax way out and consider just another. What do you think about that? Uh see, I don't have much details and then tax way down key card number one day or two day month of one day, but I personally won't recommend recommend it because this is something which will work a lot for public good.
(50:23) In fact, I have seen in our state elsewhere, there are lots of AI conferences, etc. I have attended. And I am very, very sure that certain problems that humanity has faced forever, so to say. I mean, there are certain issues people think will not change in our lifetimes. AI has the power and potential to change all that, to make a difference.
(50:45) So, when we have such a powerful tool to help people at large, what is the logic of taxing it? So, I but I'm not very uh deeply familiar with the rationale and background, etc. But intuitive answer is that let it thrive. And should not be taxed and that's Yes, sir. Sir, you have been through uh changes with many governments.
(51:10) We do any governments matter matter constant guy you are delivering. What is your inspiration, sir? Where does it come from? So, I told you that getting into this uh civil services was to me, it was really like a miracle. I never anticipated that I'll get through. And that to get through so easily without any struggle.
(51:31) I faced zero struggle. The preparation which I did was also with enjoyment, relaxation. And in the very first attempt I got through, I got the first rank. So, I really feel that this is a blessing for me. And then English local summit on 20. Count your blessings and tell her. So, that is the philosophy which has guided me forever.
(51:56) That you have been given this responsibility to achieve some purpose. And the purpose is not your own self-glory or accumulating some comforts, etc., etc. But, to be true to your profession in that job, whatever is expected of you. So, if in the IT sector, it is expected to grow that sector, create more jobs for young people, bridge the digital divide, I will do that work.
(52:25) If in the metropolitan area, if the expectation is that I should complete infrastructure projects quickly, make life easy for citizens, look at even the most vulnerable citizens, that is what I will do. So, my focus has always been on outcome. And also, how fast you can deliver the outcome and with whose support you can deliver that outcome.
(52:46) So, I don't worry too much whether it is this government or that government and this and that. I have been given a task. I understand the task and what do I need to deliver? It is my only focus, no other no other thing. So, that is how maybe people who are in the government in leadership position, sometimes they appreciate it that I know just uh uh results goes on work just to do and he does bring results.
(53:12) So, even if you work with the previous government, because he has that talent, I should not let it go waste and I let him let him be utilized for important responsibility. So, So, lastly, sir, for young girls like me, young people, uh me to my cooker inspiration for what you've given back to Hyderabad and Telangana.
(53:33) So, for me personally, it is a honor to be even talking to you. So, like me, what would you a message to our young B&S audience, sir? So, you know, uh uh okay, they just tell them that uh at a very very early stage in your life you should be able to assess yourself very thoroughly. What are you good at? What can you do? What is your aptitude? What makes you happy? At a self-awareness and that self-understanding.
(54:05) And once you have that self-awareness what path will work the best for Just pursue it and build a support system around you. So, but you have to take that leap. You cannot just sit back and hope that things will uh English learn you have to drive your own destiny. And obviously, we live in a society where women have faced barriers.
(54:37) You don't have to you know wish you all the best. You have to work what you so We must have that confidence that if we have ability and merit and that determination, doors will open for us. So, good wishes to both of you. Yes, sir. Your sister is not in the camera. She's behind the camera, but unless she's in the room.
(55:01) So, So, thank you, sir. Thank you so much, sir. Thank you so much for being with us on Unscripted. Thank you. Thank you. Welcome. >> [music]
No comments:
Post a Comment