Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Stop Doing This Every Day - It’s Destroying Your Brain Health.

Stop Doing This Every Day - It’s Destroying Your Brain Health.

Author Name:Dr Pal

Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@DrPal

Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO53Gf9WcZM



Transcript:
(00:00) What happens if we just sleep for like 6 hours? What happens to the brain? >> When the sleep is disturbed even for few days, there can be some effects which cannot be reversed. >> So there is new thing called lymphatics like lymphatic system in the body which is a way through which the brain removes the toxic substances.
(00:22) >> Doctor, I'm very stressed out and uh whenever there is a deadline in the corporate world, I get this headache. Do you see that in your uh work? >> Headache is one of the most common symptoms with which a patient comes to a neurological OPD for consultation. >> Dr. Prabash Prabhakaran >> a renowned neurologist >> specializes in diagnosing and treating a broad spectrum of neurological disorders such as headaches, migraines, stroke, vertigo, dementia etc.
(00:53) >> Most of the times what I been called from my friend is that they dad or mom. They've been like very sharp before but now missing things. A homemaker she was making a sambar for all these years perfectly but husband notes that there's a change in the taste and progressively she's not able to make that sambar at all. Okay.
(01:15) Something that person has been doing for all this while she's not able to do. We see lot of people who are on vegetarian diet have B12 deficiency and come with the dementia. I'm really worried about mobility people really and also people in the creative world that is the other problem as well you know music directors actors cine field and every also doctors they work late nights and uh do you have any doctor patients yeah I do have a lot of doctor >> I might be one of them next time there's something called gut brain connect uh so when the sleep is not
(01:50) right there are toxin build up it can affect the other way around also the gut can influence the brain The brain can influence the gut. People take douo 650 for headache all the time. Is that okay or when should they see a doctor? When the headache is more than three per month is where you need a consultation.
(02:06) >> Up to two is not a problem. Is coffee causing headache or treating headache? Okay. Most of the people caffeine is good for headache in the sense if you take a a caffinated drink it does help but having a mobile phone closer to your brain will that increase the risk of tumor. >> So I think the research have said no as of now it has been the answer is a no.
(02:35) >> So nothing to be really concerned about. >> Yeah. >> A person listening to this you know who wants to improve their brain health. So, you're saying that more reading will improve brain health? Definitely. What do you do for your brain health? >> Before we dive in, can I be honest with you? It blows my mind that 57.
(02:56) 9%age of you who listen regularly still have not subscribe to our channel. If you enjoy the podcast, the stories, the signs, maybe even laugh at our jokes, could you do us a small favor? Hit that subscribe button. It takes only 2 seconds and helps us keep bringing you better guests and episodes every week. I'm truly blessed to have all your support and I'm sure you will support me in the journey.
(03:18) Now, let's get into today's episode. Hello guys, this is Dr. Pal Manikam. Welcome to another episode of our podcast series, Gy Living with Dr. Pal. In this episode, we have a well-known neurologist who actually has expertise in multiple levels of neurological disorders. But we have decided to focus on common neurological problems like headache.
(03:41) What does screen time do to your brain? And what does sleep deprivation do to your brain? Does catch up sleep of the weekend does make it difference or not? And how do you handle stress? How can you improve brain health? What does a neurologist do to improve his brain health? It was an informationfilled episode. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
(03:59) At the end of the episode, please make a note of what you learned. I just don't want to have this podcast and just another thing that you learn and you don't implement on your daily lifestyle. I don't want to do that. Please make sure that you make notes of whatever you learn and implement it or at least read through sometime at least once later after this podcast so it gets registered on your subconscious mind.
(04:21) Let's dive deep into it. >> Hi Dr. Prabash. Hello. Thank you so much for your time and also for being in my podcast. um so excited to see you and uh the reason that I brought you in is because uh you have created a revolution in vertigo treatment uh here in Chennai and you uh currently are in SIMS hospital and uh the idea behind this podcast is to convey important neurological information to my audience u so that you wish the patient knew before they come to your uh clinic.
(04:55) Uh we're going to start with headache first. Okay. So one of the most common thing that I also see in my practice is um doctor I'm very stressed out and uh whenever there is a deadline in the corporate world I get this headache. Do you see that in your in your uh world? >> Headache is one of the most common symptoms with which uh a patient comes to a neurological OPD for consultation with.
(05:21) U there are many reasons why we see an uptick in the number of people to come in with to with headache. >> Uh number one the change in the lifestyle which is happening over the past two to three decades. Uh many people doing night shifts there is already a disturbance in the their sleep pattern which is uh happening. And third dietary changes.
(05:39) >> So doing night shifts >> increases risk of headaches. >> Yes. >> What do they come up with? they say one-sided headache or >> uh usually migraine there are a lot of triggers and one of the most important triggers is disturbance in sleep pattern. I can enumerate a list where there are common triggers which can cause migraine.
(06:01) Number one is sleep disturbances. >> Uh maybe uh every day correct time to the bed and uh waking up on a time will definitely help migraine come out of that. And second 9 hours of sleep is pretty important. Though we in a migraineer it is 9 hours. >> So you're telling me if a patient has a headache if it is migraine headache then the patient needs to sleep for 9 hours.
(06:25) >> They're not even sleeping for 5 hours. >> Yes. >> So 9 hours is pretty important. >> Why is that? >> When you talk about sleep cycle you know that there is uh a set of things which happen during sleep over over 9 hours. Okay. So you need to have first when you go to sleep you dive into deep sleep uh for around 90 minutes then comes the light sleep and then deep sleep light sleep when you start sleeping the major chunk is deep sleep >> so so let's just break it down so deep sleep is 90 minutes >> 90 minutes so let's say uh somebody
(06:56) sleeps I'm just talking about a common person >> who works in IT world or very busy professional usually they sleep only around like 12 midnight okay or even after 1:00 a.m. to him. So let's say they're sleeping at midnight. From midnight to 1:30 is a deep sleep. >> U not perfectly 90 minutes. It differs. It differs, but usually it is 90 minutes. Yes, you're right on that.
(07:18) Deep sleep. The second phases >> then you there's an awakening for maybe a millisecond or so or or a minute or so and then that's time when we turn around when we have a deep breath and all and then there is a light sleep. The usually the initial light light sleep for around 10 to 20 minutes. Okay.
(07:38) And then again we there's an awakening and then go we go into the deep sleep. This time the deep sleep is might be around 60 minutes. So the initial part of the sleep the deep sleep the is the majority and by the time you wake up in the morning the light sleep is the majority where deep sleep is less. So when you wake up in the morning certain times you are able to recollect your dreams.
(07:59) That's when you wake up from light sleep. certain times you are not able to recollect your dreams. That's where when you suddenly woken up from a deep sleep. So that's the difference. So you need that changes at least 6 to 7 times for that to happen you need to sleep around 8 and 1/2 to 9 hours.
(08:16) That's why the reason uh 9 hours. >> Oh my god. So 6 into 1.5 hours. Yes. >> Which is 9 hours. >> 9 hours. >> What happens if we just sleep for like 6 hours? What happens to the brain? the uh there are new there are a lot of new uh studies which have shown that the lesser we sleep the problems arises in the brain.
(08:38) So there is new thing called lymphatics like lymphatic system in the body which which is a way through which the brain removes the toxic substances. So for example, an engine is being uh ran for around u 90 minutes or so. It definitely uh um expels lot of toxic products like that the brain is working. It definitely produces toxins which has to be expelled.
(09:00) So this happens during certain period of time certain period of sleep. >> So you need that much time for all the toxins to be removed. That's not the only function. Toxin removal is one of the function of sleep and other things like rest, memory consolidation, uh energy uh you need to um keep the energy for needed uh things.
(09:18) So a lot of things happen for that you need to have that much deep sleep, light sleep, deep sleep, light sleep a lot of things happen over there. Actually when if you record uh your EEG during sleep if you take uh a light sleep it's almost equivalent to when you are awake the whatever happening if you to record a EEG except that there's nothing uh below there's only moment you can see is an eye movement.
(09:41) >> Yeah. >> Nothing else moves. >> So when you are deep sleep the only thing that moves is your eyes. >> Uh when you no when you're in light sleep that's called REM sleep. I didn't use the technical term rapid eye movement sleep. The other one is the deep sleep is non rapid eye movement sleep. >> So how many cycles of deep sleep you should get? Four >> six usually six.
(10:03) That is where I said the the timing is >> but it differs from according to the age group in an uh in a baby it's totally different. uh uh it can be uh it can be small small burst and then when you go into the adult period is where which I said around 8 and up to 9 and when you go to around 80s then it's slightly different they again you go into like a kid there's a uh maybe you sleep at 6 hours and then few hours few hours in between >> so I'm going to be very honest with you um after being in social media my sleep cycle has really got
(10:39) >> into trouble because you know I used to be in the US and then all this uh interviews will happen in India. So I used to wake up at like 10:30 11:30 at night and then I used to go to sleep only at 12:00 and I can clearly see that maximum I will get sleep is around like 6:30 like 12 to 6:30 6 and 1/2 hours.
(11:00) So you're telling me that I have missed out on the last phase yes >> of deep cycle. >> Yes. Not only deep the the light plus light sleep as well. So I have missed one cycle of REM and non-REM sleep. >> Um the timings are little it differs from person to person. Yes. On an average >> and I can tell you as a personal experience is this was in 2022 where I would say that you know I was very busy both I was a full-time gastronologist and also I was very active in social media and co was there and I just wanted to share all the information. So I
(11:38) compromised on my sleep significantly. So in due course of time I would say around like 9 months I could clearly see that I was not the same a year before you know I started having first symptom that I had was GI problem. I had significant bloating which I never had before and being a gastrontologist you know I knew exactly what was the problem of so then I decided that okay see this is really compromising.
(12:06) So based on what you're telling me is um so what has happened to me was okay I slept around like 11:30 and I and then I woke up around like 6:00. So missing that one or one cycle of uh deep sleep and light sleep combination accumulation of toxins have deteriorated some part of the nervous system. >> Yes.
(12:31) Technically yes uh it has studies have shown that uh when the sleep is disturbed even for few days there can be some uh effects which cannot be reversed. There are >> uh what we are talking about is circadian sleep disorders that is your body has a clock and then it it it calculates okay what is the time now and then is and lot of hormones get secreted accordingly according to that and what you said was right there is something called gut brain connect >> uh so when the sleep is not right there are toxin build up it can affect the other way around also the gut can
(13:04) influence the brain the brain can influence the gut >> so I was always thinking that and you know I ate a lot of fiber so I know that my gut lining is pretty strong but I did not emphasize that much on sleep before. So that was a wakeup call for me but I worry about the younger generations where I can clearly say tell many people were on the on that seat and then said that you know I sleep only for five six hours what happens if they don't take care of it and they keeps on doing this for like 2 3 years. So in anger
(13:33) generation there's some more catch up >> but above 40 above 45 they find it really difficult and uh there are researchers which shows that these toxin uh these toxins will get uh misfolded that proteins get misfolded and accumulate in the brain for example technical terms beta amaloid those things get accumulated and this can lead to dementia like Alzheimer's later in life so sleep is pretty important sleep Exercise is pretty important.
(14:03) And one more uh point just sorry to interrupt for the dementia part. I just wanted to emphasize on the audience is that let's say you keep on doing this the toxins build up and the amoord plaques can be misfolded and that can lead to Alzheimer's dementia increase risk. >> Yes. >> Which means that you may forget things.
(14:23) When you talk about Alzheimer's disease, we always overemphasize on memory. For example, a a homemaker. So uh she was uh making uh a sambar for all these years perfectly but a um husband notes that there's a change in the taste >> and progressively she's not able to make that sambar at all. >> So that's executed dysfunction. Okay.
(14:47) Something that person has been doing for all this while she's not able to do. Maybe the person is not able to drape a sari. Okay. That itself is uh that can be a sign of a dementia. And uh uh yes memory uh uh small small uh maybe misplacing things two not able to count that is calculation difficulty not able to go to a nearby store topographic disorientation and then there are other higher things like >> they lose directions correct >> directions and other things like they are not able to remember a face. There
(15:17) are specific proypnosia where they are not able to recognize a face and they might miss a tree for a forest. There are there are these are all higher uh functions. So there are ways to pick that up. So the is the so uh then there are simple things like anomia they forget names. >> So it's not only about memory there it's about cognition and there are behavioral changes.
(15:43) Someone who was very sober uh very uh when suddenly has become a totally different person who gets angry uh um uh day day in day out. Someone who was a very angry person but suddenly has become contented with himself keeps up with himself. So these are all subtle signs of dementia. What age does it happen? It can uh recently we are seeing little younger people also getting it above 45 50 but usually above 65 that's the usual age.
(16:13) uh um in my practice I I saw a patient 44 year old no abdominal bloating and we the first question that we ask when the patient comes abdominal bloating is where how often do you sleep and they have been compromising their sleep for the last 15 years and it's a very classic example they are in the US and the their client structure is in India and then they always have late nights and they wake up only at they sleep only at 2:00 a.m.
(16:37) They've been doing this for 15 16 years. And the reason that they were there right after my clinic, the neurology clinic, is because the husband forgot the key of his electric car. Okay. So, they have to open the app and they forgot the passcode. >> Ah, they forgot the passcode and because of the electric car, they were not able to charge and it just completely uh got down.
(17:04) Even though it sounds like a very common thing but there was a significant uh disease for him that we were able to identify. We did MRI of the brain as you said the amoid deposits were so significant. Um that reminded me and then they were kept on asking okay why did this happen is a genetic or anything like that.
(17:26) Then I said that maybe the lifestyle increased the risk of what he is having right now. And the family was like, I wish I knew this before. >> I'm not surprised with what we told. Uh a smart person, not intelligent, a smart person actually can mask, they're not wantedly doing it, but they can mask their dementia.
(17:46) Means if uh their fund of information do matter. If the person has only if for my teacher used to say if a person has 100 rupee, he can definitely lend 10 rupees. >> But if the person has only 10 rupees, he cannot lend more. So the fun of information more more you read the more information that you have in your brain u making use of it um so that really helps slow down dementia.
(18:09) So a person listening to this you know who wants to improve their brain health. So you're saying that more reading will improve brain health. Definitely more reading a simple thing look sudoku or some calculations. So keep using >> I'm not batting for sudoku but I'm saying that that look some action >> uh something that that definitely helps out the brain.
(18:31) It's like an exercise for the brain. More you use it more sharper it is. >> What do you do for your brain health? as a neurologist. Okay. Definitely. Yes. Exercise. I do run a lot. Um daily at least 45 minutes of running. Uh I do swim for around uh 20 minutes. Uh and cycling. Uh weekends at least around 3 4 hours of cycling. So exercise do matter.
(18:53) It it definitely uh um make new connections in the brain. >> So exercise will prevent the risk of dementia. >> Dementia. Yes. That's scientifically pro. So we are uh we are actually in the cusp of a revolution in the next 10 years. So there are lot of new drugs in the pipeline which is coming in. But right now what we have is good sleep, >> good exercise and lot of increasing the fund of information the brain definitely helps to slow down dementia.
(19:22) >> When we talk about dementia we always tend towards Alzheimer's. There are a lot of treatable dementias. Yes, Alzheimer's it's a clinical it's a syndrome you do have to follow a strict guideline to diagnose Alzheimer's but there are a lot of treatable things for example v1 vitamin B12 deficiency it's pretty easy to correct >> uh number one number two hypothyroidism can cause >> uh third certain time there's something called pseudo depression pseudo depression can present like uh dementia so you need to it's a treat treatable
(19:52) cause then NPH normal pressure hydrophilis where there's an reduced fluid fluid content in the brain which can which can compress upon the brain paranca and cause dementia again a treatable cause. Tell me about the B12 deficiency and dementia. Tell me a patient that you have seen. The reason I'm asking is you know many people are concerned that they have low B12 because of poor dietary intake especially in vegetarians.
(20:18) >> Exactly. We do we do when when when we get a dietary history if it's a vegetarian obviously we have to do B12 assessment but in a vegetarian obviously yes we see lot of people uh with veget who are on vegetarian diet have B12 deficiency and come with the dementia we do we do see a lot >> and the clinical presentation is like just forgetting things >> yes it can be any form of dementia memory is one part as I said any part of cognition >> so dementia is not only memory >> yes dementia memory means when the temporal lobe gets involved then they
(20:50) get it's which lobe gets involved. If it's the in the uh lobe in different frontal lobe that usually is for executive uh functions like frontal lobe is what makes me uh Dr. Prabash and you Dr. It's but everything else is the same. But the frontal lobe is what makes us our own a person a personality. So that's frontal.
(21:10) So when you talk about the parietal it's where calculations the topography all those things comes over there. Uh for temporal lobe on the left side that's the dominant side takes care of memory. That's where we talk when usually the temporal lobe is involved. That's why we associate memory with dementia.
(21:29) And right side uh temporal usually takes care of music. uh and grammar all those and the back behind takes care of vision most of the times what I being called from my friend is that they dad or mom they've been like very sharp before but now missing things >> uh if they notice something like that is it reasonable to take their parents to for a neurologic evaluation it is because there are uh when we start early we are able to control things at least we can slow down the progression >> in number one yes we need to rule out treatable causes and then even if it's
(22:06) other things we can slow down and there is something new which has come which is autoimmune uh dementia is pretty no I would not say it's pretty common but we do evaluate for autoimmune dementia because it's again a treatable cause we do obviously you would have been seeing lot of autoimmune disease in gastro like that uh it has taken it like a storm now we are seeing lot of autoimmune neurological illness especially causing especially involving uh elderly people.
(22:32) >> I was involved in a research with UCSF, University of California, San Francisco where fecal transplantation for dementia. It is just basic research and it is very preliminary stages but promising results which is really mind-blowing that the gut is strongly connected to the brain where you replace the bad gut bacteria with the good gut bacteria >> microbiome >> microbiome the dementia the highlighted areas of the brain on MRI you will not believe how how it glows >> um it will take some time to be translated into human medicine but one
(23:06) thing that we can take is probably you may may not be completely cured but uh controlled by proper diet. That is something that we have been highly advocating to all my patients throughout. >> Two drugs got approved recently uh for specifically for treatment for dementia. It's coming to uh I think it's it'll be coming to India uh sooner.
(23:28) >> Have you seen Gajini movie? >> Yes. >> What does Surya do? >> He he always write down things to remember. >> Is that common in your practice? No, I have not seen much but still look I've seen many people as I said earlier smarter people uh we we when we see them we will not say that they have dementia but when you do the scoring the scoring is 30 they they will score 16 17 we'll be surprised that's their smartness so it's called MMSE correct >> mms MSE miss outs lot of uh things but then it's a basic testing which will
(23:58) definitely get us some information >> yeah yeah yeah I think I want to emphasize the audience on MMS it's a very important tip um so let's say usually Usually the dementia happens around like 55 60 years of age usually and my audience is around like 30 to 40 years of age demographics are more common. >> So their parents are the main targeted patients over here.
(24:18) So let's say that if they are thinking that their parents are forgetting tell the person listening how they can help their parents to identify with this simple MMS scope. >> MMS can be done by anyone. Okay. It doesn't need a medical training and all. You can uh just uh mini mental skill examination. It's just a series of questions. The total score is around 30.
(24:40) It's common question like date, which uh which date, month, year, um uh which place is it, which floor, um which state or which country. So there are and then you give something and then ask them to remember it and then you ask some other questions and later you come come back and then ask what did I say? Can you remember those very simple things? You can just see in the net MMS.
(25:03) You can apply it yourself. It's pretty easy. >> So I highly recommend everybody to look at the link in the description. Mm. I want you to try first and then try on your parents. You might be surprised. >> Okay. So coming back to sleep, you said that the young people can catch up. So let's say that they have been sleeping only four five hours um and they've doing this for like 2 three years.
(25:24) They they also argue that hey you know I'm sleeping on the weekends more the catchup sleep helps. No it's actually troublesome. >> Uh look uh in a in a situation where you cannot there are certain people who are struggling in life. So you can this is this you cannot apply it for them. Okay they have to so in those people yes definitely the catchup sleep is needed.
(25:46) Okay. But usually it is troublesome because it disturbs the circadian rhythm. Okay. You have a body clock and you have and it has to work uh in a in a pattern. If you disturb the pattern, it will cause uh disturbment. For example, is shift work disorder. That is when you when you do night duty and for some time and then day duty.
(26:08) Look the body doesn't work in a in in body has to rearrange itself. Many hormones are secreted exactly on on timing based on timing. Um so you are saying that watching binge watching Instagram res will affect your sleep. >> Yes. The reason is the blue light emitted from the screens is equal to the sunlight. The body picks it up.
(26:27) The retina picks it up and sends to pineal gland and the gland perume is a tiniest tiny gland and in the brain which perumes that still it is daytime. >> Okay. So it will not allow the melatonin to be secreted. Melatonin is secreted when the body feels it is dark and then the the uh cortisol uh secretion will go down and melatonin will rise.
(26:50) So when you keep binge watching what happens the brain will get confused and it thinks that it's still daytime and so it shouldn't it shouldn't cigate melatonin just imagine it's happening over months and years it does have a definite an effect on the brain irreversible effects so I'm going to paint a picture everything is dark outside and then you are looking at the phone and the blue light is going into the brain and the brain initially thought it was dark melatonin is secreted but because the blue light is coming in it is almost
(27:18) similar to the daylight light. So the brain gets confused. But since it is very closer, it thinks that okay, he needs to be very awake and then melatonin stops. So that is why you are not getting the 9 hours of sleep. If if you don't keep on if you don't sleep repeatedly and if you keep on having the sleep deficit and also you are stressed out at work or family or any kind of thing, will that shrink your brain or will that decrease your neuronal? You're driving a car and had a small accident.
(27:48) How will your position that time be? You'll be a little shaken. >> Yeah. >> So there was there was nothing uh really it didn't the car didn't hit you but still you are a little shaken. That's because a lot of chemical changes happening over the brain. Imagine this happens day in day out. Obviously it will have an effect.
(28:04) I'm trying to give an example. Okay. I'm not this is not a scientific answer but trying to explain. That's helpful. Try I'm trying to explain it. >> That's how damaging it is. >> Obviously yes it it does damage and yes it will have an effect on the blood pressure. It will have an effect on the glucose levels, stress o over time, >> obesity, >> obesity and add to it the o obstructive sleep apnoa.
(28:26) So it's going to be a it's a it's a mother of all diseases. >> So you you're seeing so many patients, right? What is the average sleep time that they have? >> Very actually right now the average sleep time around five and up to 6 hours. That's the average sleep time. >> Are you seeing a big epidemic of disease is going to happen 10 years, right? That's not good.
(28:47) I'm really worried about these IT people really and also people in the creative world that is the other problem as well you know music directors actors cine field and every also doctors they work late nights and uh do you have any doctor patients? Yeah I do have a lot of doctors I might be one of them next time.
(29:12) >> Wow. Wow. You know, sometimes u you know when you walk into the room and sometimes you forget why you came or you are talking to somebody on the to-do list and then you just forget or you come to the grocery store and you don't know what you buy. Are these are red flags or is it >> No.
(29:32) No. Look, unless a thing get registered in your mind it it and then it has to circ there's a circular paper circuit where it revolves around and then it get gets stored. Unless you register it, it's not going to. So I don't these are all normal things >> a thing to get into the memory it should get registered and then only it'll get into by uh when you do multitasking you tend to miss out certain things I don't think that is okay but if it keeps on happening persistently that is the problem >> then we need to look at it >> okay sounds good super we were talking
(30:00) about headaches before but let me just pinpoint a little bit people take do 650 for headache all the time is that okay or when should they see a doctor when the headache is more than three per month is where you need a consultation. >> Up to two is not not a problem. When you get more than three a month, it's a general consultation, but imagine a person who uh is having a disabling headache.
(30:27) Uh maybe it's one monthly once you can but then again that qualifies enough. Look though the guideline says three but a disabling headache needs consultations. Um usually the qu answering for your question it's around three per month more than that >> three per month or one headache which is really >> bothering bothering you need to and first headache um you never had a headache all this while and especially above 50 you have a first headache which is severe disabling that's a red flag for sure >> and especially if you're a high blood pressure
(30:57) >> anything any any head new onset headache above 50 it's a a red flag we need to consult Are you seeing more of brain cancers, brain tumors? >> Yes, we do see a lot. Um maybe there are a lot of things which can go for except the sleep, the diet that we all talk about. Um also maybe we are picking up uh more should we should be looking at that aspect. Correct.
(31:20) We the diagnostic capability is better now. It's better compared to before. >> And another random question whether it's up to you whether you I can answer or not. Having a mobile phone closer to your brain will that increase the risk of tumor? >> So I think the researchers have said no as of as of now it has been the answer is a no.
(31:43) >> So nothing to be really concerned about. >> Yeah. The reason researchers have told that it is it is not that uh a risky level to be uh red flagged >> but still don't keep your phone right next to you because of the screen time. >> Screen time also radiation. Yes. But though the science have not proved the things are changing, new researchers will come.
(32:05) So better to keep distance as much possible. >> I'll keep my phone in the other room. I'll keep everything out. I'll keep my phone out. I'll keep my wallet out. I'll keep my wife out. You know why? Because she's the light of my life. So the other thing people are applying Amuranjin for headache. Yes. No. >> No. >> No. >> No. No scientific evidence.
(32:25) >> No scientific evidence. Local vessel dilation nothing. >> No, no scientific. >> I was just trying to help that. >> Okay. How about coffee? Is coffee causing headache or treating headache? Okay. The most of the people caffeine is good for headache in the sense if you take a a caffeinated drink it does help but it should be before 4:30 in the evening. Okay.
(32:53) be beyond 4:30 in the evening definitely is going to cause an effect on the sleep a negative effect on the sleep indirectly triggering a headache because the halflife of caffeine is more than 6 to 8 hours >> so caffeine actually disturbs the circadian rhythm >> circadian rhythm and the sleep is disturbed so uh again it triggers headaches >> so that way yes >> I did a real with my wife saying that you know don't drink coffee after 5:00 p.m. dis in the comment section.
(33:21) If you look at it, everybody was saying that >> I drink a full cup of coffee and I go to sleep right away. It is not bothering me. So, it is not individualized. >> Um mostly yes, it is um I think I I don't have a research on that. >> No, in your practice. >> In in my practice, I see that you general recommendation >> general is 4:30.
(33:41) I've been very clear on that. 4:30. >> But people come back from office around 600 6:30 and they will have the filter coffee. People who are suffering the headache takes my word for sure because look they don't consult look headache is common they they have they have been using the medicine dooo for all this while but when they consult their doctor in India in Chennai definitely they have come after suffering a lot so they do they do take take the advice >> and do they take advice for the sleep as well >> yes they take it >> but then 9 hours is a little difficult
(34:11) look in our situation where uh a kids has to go to school in the morning hours and uh someone working uh the um spouse is coming little late so it is little difficult but they do try look people who are really struggling do try >> and I've seen >> minimum 7 hours >> and and I've seen that partners do help them >> they realize that okay if she has a headache then the whole house goes for a twist so I'm okay with her sleeping >> oh my god okay uh all right so and then uh migraine headache is something Different from tension headache.
(34:48) >> Yes. >> So when you are having a deadline when you are trying to meet that is tension headache. >> It's usually tension. It's usually comes in the evening hours and it's usually bilateral. Migraine is usually unilateral. There are certain differences and the treatment offers treatment options also differs a little.
(35:04) >> Super super. And we will talk about a little bit about because you are specialist in fainting and dizziness. >> Vertigo. >> Vertigo. How do how do you differentiate between fainting and dizziness or vertigo? >> Look, it's from the history. When a person says that when during the episode I'm not able to hear what was happening around then that becomes fainting.
(35:27) M >> when a person is very clear that look I had severe episode but still I could I was trying to call someone they were trying to communicate in the I was able to clear clearly hear what they were talking about then it uh shift towards dizziness over that's from the purely from the history and and it and I'm sure 100% of the times you'll be able to make that out from a good history >> and you know like even my wife complains of dizziness repeatedly any common reason for that >> that common cause for a patient to come
(35:56) to you Look when a person comes with dizziness we usually put them under three brackets. One is it acute the first episode. Second is episodic. They have been having it for uh several times but episodic and third is chronic uh dness that is uh they have been having it almost daily for months or years together.
(36:18) The diagnosis differs from all differs in all three headings and the treatment depends on the cost. >> When should we come to you? the first attack. >> Is it right? >> Yes. I'll tell you the reasons. >> Uh number one, a dissonus is one of the symptom for a stroke. Okay. So if there is a dissonance or a vertigo, if it's stroke, we can revert it. Number one.
(36:38) Number two, vestibular neuritis. Uh there's an inflammation of the nerve which connects the balance system to the brain. If you pick up on day one, an inject dexamethasone steroid injection, one or two days will cure it completely. If the person comes late after around 3 weeks the chances of recovery is little less and then it can be lifelong problem >> and third if it's a migraine vestibular migraine uh earlier you come it can improve your productivity it can improve it can definitely you can control the symptoms better so as early as possible
(37:12) there are simple reasons also hypoglycemia hypoglycemia hypertension or these are all common things so I think we shouldn't neglect uh an in a vertigo or a dissess the earlier ier the better. >> Beautiful. Nice. And then a quick word on the seizures. Okay. So people call it as fits. >> Fitz. >> And you know most commonly when people say fits they think that you know like giving the uh key or like any metal to the hand of the seizing patient and that will help.
(37:44) What is your take on that? >> So it's pretty superstitious. It happens in India especially in South India that that we see a lot. they search for a key. What happens here is by the time the person goes search a key and come back it's around 2 to 3 minutes. That's the usual duration of a seizure. It it settles on its own.
(38:03) It's not that you give the key. So usually a seizure doesn't last more than 2 to 3 minutes usually. But if it's more than 3 minutes then it's a medical emergency because it can reduce oxygen supply to the brain. The person can aspirate. Uh so a lot of complications can come if it is more than 3 to 5 minutes.
(38:21) So you should rush the person to a hospital. There is if you ask me first you better that you turn the person to left side so that he don't aspirate. >> So let me let me rephrase that. >> Um so what should a person do when somebody is ceasing right in front of them. >> Right. First up uh if the person is uh if he fell down make sure that he is in a flat space where he cannot fall down and get injured again.
(38:45) Number two, turn him to the left lateral position so that left side so that the person doesn't aspirate the whatever saliva is coming will come out through the angle of the mouth >> so that it doesn't go inside the lungs >> go inside the lungs >> because if it goes inside the lungs >> it can cause pneumon. So as soon as you see somebody sees you turn them onto the left >> left side >> and the third if you're wearing a tight uh dress better to uh loosen it up little and then don't try to rest uh restrain the person that's where the
(39:16) problem comes just leave him free and you can keep some soft material below the uh below the it can be a shirt or something some cloth below the head so that it doesn't bang onto the uh floor and then get he gets the person getting injured. So uh and then shift him to hospital as early as possible. Mhm. >> Don't give him anything orally.
(39:36) >> No water. >> No water. Again water. Again the person can can aspirate. So avoid anything where then they try to put their finger to prevent a tongue bite. What happens is the person who's putting the finger can get injured. Don't do that. >> And the water not giving water because it's a very common thing.
(39:55) Everybody thinks also give some water. >> The reason is they reflexes are numbed. So when you >> aspirate >> ring water it it will not go into your foot pipe it'll go into your wind pipe. >> Yes. >> Goes into your lungs >> and cause and and cause aspixia and uh it's aspiration immediately there will be problems >> and decrease oxygen to the blood.
(40:13) >> And uh I have seen a patient die actually because of giving water. >> They had seizure. >> The bystander wanted to actually help the patient. So wanted to try to give the water that he had in the car and the water was just pooling in the mouth because he was not able to swallow. >> Maybe aspiration maybe there is some term usually we don't use it in common parallel is called sudup s U sudden unexplained death in a person with epilepsy.
(40:44) Uh it can the reasons can be multiffactorial and one can be aspiration one can be hypoxia one can be the heart rate abnormalities which might come. So this is common when the person is taking when the person has more attacks and the person is more on multiple anti-epileptic drugs. >> Ah okay super. Um one few things about Gen Z. Okay.
(41:06) Do you think Gen Z people are do you know what Jenzi is? >> Yes. >> You know I just learned recently. Uh do you think jenzi people are you know they are using this term depression a lot more commonly are they really depressed or they just better expressing themselves they don't like to sit idle >> okay and then >> they cannot handle boredom >> yes >> this is something that I have noted this might have an effect on the depression part is my my uh >> I'll tell you my thought process on this if you cannot stop yourself looking at
(41:43) the phone when a car is stopping at the signal You have a problem. If you are not able to stop yourself looking at the phone while you are standing in line in the grocery store or getting a ticket in a railway station or something like that, you have a problem. The reason is the attention you are not able to handle stillness and stillness is something that is still missing.
(42:08) Right? So the reason uh I think uh what has happened is we have been like occupied with so many devices where it's easily distraction distracted uh distracted one thing a person who's listening to this podcast who want to improve their brain health is we need to train our brain to handle boredom it is okay you know nothing is going to go wrong if you and that is why they say walk in nature is something like you need to incorporate you know the reason is Not just because you know it's a working physical activity. What I have read and
(42:43) also felt is that when you're walking the uh stress levels or being absorbed pretty much by the nature around if you focus on you know like for example in uh in the eastern side of United States there it's a beautiful fall season in September and October where the leaves fall and the new leaves come with beautiful colors.
(43:06) beautiful colors and all the northeastern part of United States they don't have any sunlight so they are pretty depressed uh to start with they actually look for this kind of trips where they actually see what kind of color what is withering what is the density and everything when they do that I think it absorbs somehow the stress levels or something like that which makes them more be present That is something that we are really missing.
(43:40) >> Also the screen times we are seeing even young kids are being exposed to screen. I've recently attended a a meeting where I I learned that autism uh the younger as younger you give the screens there is a little uptick in the autism uh percentages that we are seeing. That's something that I learned recently I think and there are something called virtual autism where uh you it's because of the screen the moment you take out screen and somehow you make them understand take out screen they come back to their normal levels
(44:13) so it is kind of a reversible thing I'm not a pediatric neurologist I'm an adult neurologist but I just learned recently about this >> no I'm not surprised because you know that is it's all coming down under the same umbrella um so one of the other neurologist in the US they said that he never gives screen at all in terms of like devices and he said a phone can be given to my kid only at 16 years of age >> okay do you agree it's very difficult here you okay >> the peers are there the peer pressure they said that no my look it's very from
(44:51) 13 it's very difficult as you know >> and the peer pressure you won't be able to uh I don't think it's it's it's it's easy to control. >> So that neurologist was saying that uh I know how bad the damaging effects are and I don't want my kids to go through. >> So we have made a strong line in the family that no screen no devices until you turn 16.
(45:17) I will help you in all the other angle. This is something that I'm taking a strong line and I will give you other leniency that what you want and that is working in the family and what he said was we chose 16 but you can figure out something that works for your family but multiple research have shown that devices will be handled more maturely uh when they turn uh 16 is the magic number what he said.
(45:40) Uh >> but the problem with that is recently there are schools and many you you need to uh you need to get the digital yeah iPad >> so to whether to draw a line is is not that easy >> so I always say moderation both in eating and also in screening >> screening moderation eating and screening beautiful um we're going to wrap it up wrap up by my favorite topic about diet for brain health okay >> okay any particular ular diet that you would recommend for brain health.
(46:11) >> Look uh if you ask me the Mediterranean diet that's what people definitely uh suggest um fiber richch uh and in moderation everything >> I would I would stop that way. >> I'm glad that you brought Mediterranean diet because multiple studies you know even in gastronical literature have shown that Mediterranean diet is one of the best diets out there.
(46:34) Basically what they are mentioning is the pyramid. the pyramid where you have all the fruits and vegetables right at the top and your protein sources and all your ultrarocessed food will come right at the bottom. Yeah. So basically go from top to the bottom as much as possible. Um it's Mediterranean is Middle Eastern right on that area.
(46:57) So if you go to like a Middle Eastern restaurant if you should look at it, they will have the proportion of the macros distributed very evenly. Um the carbs yes it'll be there but not that much. And they will serve with all your fiber richch fruits and vegetables right you know you know eggplant is one of the main thing in their in their menu.
(47:22) Um so I absolutely love Mediterranean diet and also Middle Eastern cuisine. Um so that is something that we can translate to our Indian diet as well by just adopting the same format and uh so a person listening to this has taken from a neurologist as well that Mediterranean diet is one of the best diet for brain health.
(47:44) What do you eat? >> Number one morning and ABC juice uh and dosa two dosas. >> Apple be and carrot. >> Yes. M >> and then dosa two dosas with a sambar or or chutney and then a fruit. This is commonly I do. And then a cucumber uh somewhere around 11 11:30 >> and then lunch consists of uh mostly a meal with a a small amount of rice and lot of vegetables around.
(48:10) >> Nice. Nice. >> And uh by evening almonds uh and uh some other uh some nuts and night a little a small uh dinner. That's it. >> What time? Somewhere around 7:38. >> 7:38. >> 7:38. >> What time? >> Little late. That's a little late, but still. >> No, no, it's very early. It's very early for many people. 7:38. >> 7:38.
(48:31) >> Okay. People listening to this very be careful that neurologist is finishing the dinner by 8:00 p.m. >> There's a reason I I have uh jer so obviously I need to uh give a gap. So that's the reason why I complete little little finishing by 8:00 p.m. Gaston is finishing by 7:00 p.m. >> When is your first bite the next day? >> First bite in the morning.
(48:52) Next day morning 8:00. >> 8:00. >> So you maintain the 12-hour fasting. >> Yes. Beautiful. Beautiful. Super. Super. Very nice. Wonderful. Wonderful. Uh discussion. >> If one thing that you want to tell my audience listening to this podcast, if they can start doing it from tomorrow to make sure that they have a very good brain health and prevent the risk of dementia, what do you say? Sleep is for the brain from the brain by the brain.
(49:15) So sleep number one is the most important thing. 9 hours of solid sleep. Go to bed on time. Go same time every day as much possible and then wake up on same time as much possible. Number two, exercise. Brisk walking. You don't you don't need to run. A brisk walking is more than enough. 40 minutes to 50 minutes of brisk walking.
(49:36) If you can run in a moderate don't uh if you can increase your speed interval training it's uh more better and weight train if you can add a weight training much much better um and then give lot of work to the brain read a lot >> as you have lot of fun of information the chances of you getting dementia is pretty pretty less >> I wanted to quickly tap your knowledge on that reading negative news will that affect the brain in any way >> definitely yes look all these what we think is is us.
(50:09) So uh it's better that you select what you read is also important but reading something is better than reading nothing. Super super nice. Thank you so much uh Dr. Praash you are amazing >> and I'm sure that audience have picked up lot of information from this podcast. >> Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment