Saturday, July 25, 2026

You'll Start Losing Interest In Everything And That's The Sign

You'll Start Losing Interest In Everything And That's The Sign

Author Name:Sadhviji

Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@Sadhviji

Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1vTm4G5PFo



Transcript:
(00:00) You're going to start losing interest in things, and that's actually a great sign. So many people ask, "Oh my god, is this, you know, mean that I'm actually depressed without realizing it, or that I'm somehow getting disconnected, or indifferent, or is there something wrong with me?" I have so many people ask that.
(00:25) But actually, on a spiritual path, losing interest in things that are not taking us deeper and deeper spiritually, is not only perfectly natural, but it's actually fantastic. Because look, we've only got 24 hours in a day. We have to sleep. We have to bathe. We have to eat. We have to work. Many of us have families to raise.
(00:50) We've got to feed ourselves, shop, cook, clean. I mean, there's so much to put our minds and attention on. And with the extra time, if we are so wrapped up in what you can think of is kind of little little things. Who's saying what to whom, who's angry at whom, who's flirting with whom, who's wearing what, who got new clothes, who's being obnoxious to whom.
(01:20) I mean, this kind of stuff that fills most of our day. Whether it's just gossip, whether it's actually things that we are triggered by and then become a massive drama and story that grabs us for days or weeks or months or years. Whatever it is, the deeper we get spiritually, the less interest we have in drama. The less interest we have in just accumulating things.
(01:53) The less interest we have in focusing on anything that isn't taking us deeper and deeper spiritually. One of the ways that I love to think about it is imagine that you are walking down the beach. You start to walk and your hands are empty and so you you know you pick up seashells and pretty rocks. You feel happy with those. But then as you get to the end of the beach you notice a guy or a gal with a bucket full of diamonds.
(02:29) And they're literally like dumping the bucket of diamonds out to anyone who will hold their hands or a container to get them. Now think for a moment. Your hands are full. They're full of rocks. They're full of seashells. But the moment that you see the pouring of the diamonds you're going to let go. And you're going to let go because you recognize immediately that what's being offered is of so much more value than that which you have.
(03:02) That which you have is fine if there's nothing else. But if the choice is seashells or diamonds most of us are going to go for the diamonds. And on a spiritual level it's not financial value. It's spiritual value. The minute that we have a taste a touch of the spaciousness the bliss the stillness the presence of awareness of spiritual connection of realization that's where you want to go.
(03:43) You feel it. It's of so much more internal value. It's not that someone has to say to you, "Hey, you dropped the seashells." You know it. And this is what happens in our lives is when we are connected spiritually, all we want is more and more, deeper deeper. So, don't worry. I've had so many people ask, you know, I'm not necessarily so interested in all my friends anymore or I don't like to go to parties so much anymore.
(04:16) I get it fully. I remember those days in my life. And you know, of course, everybody's asking you like what's happened to you? Well, what's happened is you've had a taste of something real. I remember conversations with my mom about why I didn't want to go to the movies anymore. And I remember saying to her, because my meditation was still so new, not quite strong enough that I could actually sit in a movie theater watching a movie and not get distracted.
(04:51) I knew I would get distracted. And yet the experience of being in meditation was so sweet, so powerful, so deep, so valuable that the idea of losing that to whatever story the movie was going to give me was like, no. And I remember saying to her, you know, there may come a day when my meditation is so strong that you could stick me in front of a movie and I wouldn't get distracted.
(05:22) But until that happens, I want to be able to stay present in each moment. I don't want to get distracted by the story, whether it's a story on a screen or the story in my own head about who's not treating me right or who's doing what or who's saying what. Now, of course, it's important to mention this doesn't mean that we become uncaring or indifferent.
(05:47) It doesn't mean that we don't stand up for justice in the world. We do, but we do it from a place of dharma, not from a place of engagement and interest in a story. There's a big difference between actually being able to make a difference and standing up to make that difference. Like Krishna told Arjun to stand up in the Bhagavad Gita and fight that war, but it wasn't for the juiciness of the story. It was to fulfill his dharma.
(06:25) When we have the opportunity, the call, the dharma of standing up to make a difference, to actually bring peace, healing, unity, love, sustainability, clean air, clean water, food, absolutely do it. So, it doesn't mean that we become disinterested in our dharma. It just means that we become not interested in in stories.
(06:55) We become not interested in distraction. We become not interested in things that just fill up our day and keep us from experiencing the present moment. So, if you're noticing this in your life, it's great. It's great. And yeah, I know people are going to say, "Oh, you've changed. You're not nearly as much fun as you used to be.
(07:18) " But it's just because they don't know what real fun is. They don't know what real happiness is. I remember before I came to India when I also thought happiness was, you know, a good movie, a nice party, good shopping trip that my grandma used to take me on for, you know, new clothes at the start of the school year, whatever it was.
(07:43) Or that happiness was an A on an exam. Or happiness was someone being nice to you or giving you a gift. I didn't know. I hadn't tasted the spiritual joy. And so when people say, "Oh, you're not fun anymore." Don't take it inside. Just recognize they haven't had that experience. And don't be condescending, don't be patronizing, don't get arrogant, cuz that too pulls you into the story and out of the present.
(08:15) Just stay anchored and grounded in what you know. And keep going for deeper and deeper and deeper spiritual experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment