Is Going Vegan Actually Healthy or Harmful?
Author Name:Dr Pal
Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@DrPal
Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn3zrVFzoxU
Transcript:
(00:00) How do cows and buffaloos get pregnant on an Indian dairy farm? A cow or buffalo is tied up against her will and her backside is exposed. A man then takes his arm which is injected directly into her vagina and bloods. >> Oh my god. >> If this action were done to a woman in our society, what would we call it? >> Arband is an animal activist who once lived like everyone else until the truth broke him open.
(00:28) Today he confronts the question that unsettles every non-vegan. >> His mission is clear. Go vegan and educate others the same. >> You being a vegan is something that you personally chose. >> Why are you forcing others to be a vegan? >> Mother camel makes milk for a baby camel. My mom made milk for me not for you. >> Whose body we have to use to procure this product? Is it truly a personal choice? The bigger problem in vegan diet that everybody is saying that there is no vitamin B12.
(00:58) Unfortunately, B12 needs to be supplemented. >> My body gets it from meat or a supplement. Does it really know or care? >> Where when B12 is less, you'll start getting neuropathic pains. The first thing that we ask is are you a vegan? >> Oh, okay. >> And then we ask are you an alcoholic? >> Pling the plant out and you know there is fertilizers, pesticides, you're killing all the insects that are feeding the plants.
(01:20) Isn't that considered as a killing thing? There are two things to note here. First of all, we vegans say that. >> Before we dive in, can I be honest with you? It blows my mind that 57.9%age of you who listen regularly still have not subscribed to our channel. If you enjoy the podcast, the stories, the signs, maybe even laugh at our jokes.
(01:39) Could you do us a small favor? Hit that subscribe button. It takes only 2 seconds and helps us keep bringing you better guests and episodes every week. I'm truly blessed to have all your support and I'm sure you will support me in the journey. Now let's get into today's episode. Hello guys, this is Dr. Pal Manika.
(01:58) Welcome to another episode of our podcast series gut feeling with Dr. Pal. This is a very interesting podcast. You could say controversial, debatable, whatever you want to uh but I think we had a very honest and open feedback and discussion in terms of what exactly veganism is. Is veganism really bad? Is veganism healthy? What is a medical angle to this? And do you even consider why should you even consider turning a vegan? So we have discussed in detail.
(02:24) It is not sponsored video. It is nothing. It is all organic and very honest conversation. This is not a propaganda to make you a vegan. It is just an education and awareness in terms of what are the pros and cons of a vegan uh diet both from a medical angle and also from an ethical concerns. So I put forth my opinion.
(02:47) He put forth his opinion. It was a very very interesting discussion. I'm sure you'll like it. It's a long episode, but I think this will definitely be a a good discussion for you. Okay, let's dive deep into it. Welcome everyone to be on the podcast. >> Thank you so much for having me, doctor. >> I'm so glad.
(03:05) I'm so glad. I'm going to be very honest in this conversation. Okay, so there is no hidden agenda, nothing. >> Right. Right off the bat, I'm going to ask you a very, very qu important question that has been bothering my mind since I've seen you. >> Go on. >> You appear so nice off camera. >> Okay, I am nice. >> Why do you come across so angry? >> Ah, that's because unfortunately I am the judgmental preachy vegan, right? And we vegans have a panache tendency to be preachy.
(03:37) So >> obviously when we go around making sweeping statements saying like hey please do not consume this or don't eat that >> you are entering into someone's personal zone >> because when it comes to food, religion, politics, these are all very very personal things >> and if you are going to comment on it you will come off as preachy and judgmental and obviously people are going to respond back accordingly.
(03:58) So that's what you witness online. Although my intent is obviously not to offend people, my intent is to inform, educate, and hopefully convince you over to that's what I'm trying. But it involves unfortunately a lot of you know >> asshles. What made you choose this route and why did you turn into vegan and what that story piece? >> So the reason I first of all chose to be a vegan activist that is what I'm doing cuz it's why is it not just enough to be a vegan? Why go around talking about this? And that I have to say comes down
(04:27) to my emotions and feelings just as who I am as a person >> after seeing what happens behind the scenes to produce the food we eat which is something I re I recommend and suggest people to actually go and see because I'll be honest the first time and I came across the video of what they're doing to animals to produce meat dairy and eggs like any other person close my eyes where is the X click close because why would you want to see it is so disturbing to see but at one point it's basically called being accountable
(04:56) like how long am I going to keep running away from the truth and I believe if you are someone who chooses to eat meat dairy and eggs at the very least you have to witness and see what is happening behind the scenes I think there's a fat demand to make at least be aware of what's happening so for me I grew up and was raised by vegetarian Tamil parents >> but despite them being vegetarian I was not so I was the one I was the black sheep in the family always going against the grain and I have eaten all kinds of
(05:22) meat growing up >> and what happened is I am what you call as your typical animal lover. Meaning when I go on the road, if I see a stray dog, I'll pet the dog, keep nice names for them, brownie, cutie, black, white, Tommy, and then I'll give them biscuits, be nice to them. >> But then I'll go home and I will be eating at home.
(05:41) I'll go out and I'll eat other animals. But that's how society is is as usual. When I was a kid, I asked my dad to take me to the zoo because I love animals. Now as an adult, I say I won't go to the zoo because I love animals. Notice the reasoning is the same but the action I'm doing is different because we have to really ask the question if you're calling ourselves as animal lovers.
(06:02) If we say that we genuinely care or have concern about these creatures we have to come to the reality that cows, chickens, pigs, fish, goats, duck and sheep are also animals. And that is somewhat of an uncomfortable truth that people have to come to reality with because we do things to these animals that we would not want to be done to other animals. Yeah.
(06:22) and other animals as well. For example, we were taught at a young age like um there was this word you must have heard called cognitive dissonance >> and it's a quite a disturbing feeling and I'm sure even the audience watching right now might be thinking you know I agree with this guy on certain points but I don't like the way he makes me feel >> because unfortunately when you put things out like this in the open it is a bit difficult but I'll ask people >> to try and ask themselves these questions because we were taught as kids
(06:46) that we should feel bad if we read in the paper that somebody had shot and killed an elephant. It's called poaching. We're saying it's wrong. No, no. Somebody threw a stone on a dog. No, no, it's wrong. But then, do we ever consider what are the repercussions or actions we do to procure the food we eat, which also involve animals? >> So, once that is laid down before you and you witness it, which is what I did, and then you ask yourself, do I am I going to just ignore this because I I can choose to do so, or am I
(07:14) going to say, no, enough is enough. I've had enough of this. I don't want to be I cannot go around calling myself an animal lover and continue doing this. I cannot say I care for animals and not be a vegan. So with that that's the reason why I changed. >> That's what brought me. >> You were a meat eater then you turn into vegan >> and now you are an activist not only vegan.
(07:33) >> Yes. >> So then the next question is >> vegan is a choice. >> Mhm. >> You being a vegan is something that you have personally chose. >> Why are you pushing others to be a vegan? >> Yeah. So that's why I'll say like see of course it is a choice but then again everything in this world is actually a choice in that regard and I want to say that when you say personal choice it should involve only the self.
(07:55) For example if I watch your videos you educate about what are the harmful effects of drinking alcohol >> but I might say you know what doctor I'm aware of all these effects but I still choose to drink it regardless because it's going to affect only me. I think that is a personal choice. But if I say I want to drink and drive, I don't think it's a personal choice anymore because your actions are now affecting others.
(08:16) >> So the same way I want people to think about this that when we say eating meat, dairy and eggs is a personal choice. Is it truly a personal choice? I mean wearing a blue shirt or red shirt, personal choice. >> Wearing socks or wearing shoes or slippers, personal choice. But if some other individual is involved there behind the scenes whose body we have to use to procure this product, is it truly a personal choice >> is my question.
(08:42) I I I would I would contest that. I would contest that. >> That's where the debate and argument comes in. Exactly. Okay. Okay. And I don't think we're going to settle that argument in this podcast. >> Not today. Not today. >> Okay. But it will be a step to understand more about what is veganism and uh we will discuss that in a healthy way. Uh in a healthy way.
(09:00) >> Healthy way. Oh, got it. Got it. Pun intended. Okay. Yeah. >> In a healthy way. >> Um so I will tell you being a gastroentertologist uh I have been involved in research with the mice and animal studies >> uh in uh UCSF, San Diego, Stanford in the Bay Area. >> Mhm. >> How I got into this researches because of fatty liver.
(09:22) >> Okay. >> Okay. I see a lot of patients on fatty liver and then uh we have figured out that fatty liver is coming from gut health. Hm. >> Then we figured out that everything comes from gut health. We call it as NCD, non-communicable diseases, >> right? I know non-communicable diseases. >> ND. So let's say diabetes.
(09:43) >> Communicable diseases means if you spread uh tuberculosis is communicable. >> Um in India before the death rates were high because of communicable diseases. >> Right. Right. Right. >> Now the death rates are high in India because of non-communicable diseases. But in uh you know Africa tribal area communicable diseases are >> still prevalent there >> if you see there is no non-communicable disease at all >> where in Africa >> Africa in a particular tribe >> okay >> it's called Hudza Hudza tribe h a dza a person listening to this podcast should
(10:15) definitely google had hudza >> okay >> these tribes they're not open to westernization at all >> okay >> they are still hunting they're still eating fibers they still eating plant-based so they're still following the ancestral models. So what we did was we took the stool sample and the gut health >> from these people and we figured out that there is 100 trillion gut bacteria in the large intestine.
(10:41) >> Okay. >> One followed by 14 zeros. >> All right. >> Okay. And this is a individual bacteria >> but as you know it comes under a species. >> There are different strains of >> strains of bacteria genus species. >> Okay. Okay. Out of that there were around 2,500 species >> in the hudz tribe >> unique. >> No uh in general in general. Okay.
(11:03) >> Okay. Out of two to final species, every uh species will have its own uh clan. So everything together would be 100 trillion get back together. >> Okay. Okay. >> Okay. >> What we have figured out was in an westernized adult like you and me, we only have 1,500 species. Oh thousand lacking gone. >> Gone. >> It's gone.
(11:30) It is because every year we lose good gut bacteria. >> Uhhuh. >> Based on the environmental factors >> such as >> lack of fiber is one of the most important thing. >> Okay. Okay. >> And you pass on to the next generation as well. >> That two. So you're not just directly born 2,500 and then you don't lose it along your lifetime. >> Ah so let's say you lose like 100 less.
(11:56) >> Okay. >> Then you pass on only 2,4 to the next person. >> How does that even take place? Like I'm >> Yeah. So that is how the extinction of the good get back bacteria is happening. >> Is it possible to get them back or >> through similar to what you're saying through proper association and recognition this is happening.
(12:14) >> Okay. Okay. >> It is the loss is lost. We cannot >> Mhm. >> we cannot replace those pieces. That's it. >> Okay. >> It is almost like an animal extinction basically. >> Oh, >> okay. It is our duty to cultivate good bacteria. Make sure that is not being lost so we can pass on to the next generation. Okay. Okay.
(12:32) >> So, as a medical gastrontologist, I have been recommending whole food plant-based diet >> to most of my patients. M >> so as a vegan that you're promoting >> I am also understanding besides the ethical concern from a healthy angle if you look at it >> uh if you can include whole foods only plants >> and if it is a vegan then as a doctor I would be happy >> thumbs up from you >> huh okay >> that a patient is going okay >> uh what is the difference between plant-based eating >> Mhm. and vegans.
(13:10) >> All right, >> this is my monologue. >> I will let you talk after this. >> So, yeah, before I answer the question about the difference between vegan and plant-based, there was just one thing as a vegan activist. Unfortunately, it's like an itch, you know, we have to mention this that is you did mention uh animal based studies and trials that happened and as a vegan some I find myself to be a practical person.
(13:31) I do understand that there are many benefits we do get right now in the medical field from testing on animals. That is something that we vegans strongly oppose and we are trying to find solutions. You must have heard of in vitro testing then insilicico testing and not inorganoid testing.
(13:45) So these are all I think are different things that are coming up. Hopefully in the future you think they'll take over animal testing that you think that will happen in the future. >> To be honest I don't know. >> I don't know. Um from my angle >> um we get a lot of information >> from animal studies but I also understand the vegan angle as well.
(14:01) >> Is this something I wanted to mention? >> No course. Of course you know we have a ethical committee we summit but the ethical committee will also approve from a different angle. >> Yes. Exactly. It's more ethical for humans. >> Yeah. Ethical for humans. >> That's the thing. Okay. >> So, yes, if there is a different way to test it, why not? >> Yeah. True.
(14:16) >> But coming back to your question, it's very good that you asked the difference between vegan and plant-based because we have to understand that plant-based means someone who gets the majority of their calories from plant-based food, not even all their calories. For example, someone who eats little bits of meat here and there and eats majorly only plant foods is also a plant-based person.
(14:34) But a vegan is against someone who has made an ethical decision not to exploit animals. So therefore a vegan when I say I'm vegan, you can only know what I don't eat. You don't know what I do eat. If I say I'm vegan, he doesn't eat meat, dairy, eggs, and honey. He does not wear leather wool silk. That's all you know. >> But you don't know what I do eat.
(14:53) Now I could be drinking six bottles of beer, eating French fries, potato chips, watching TV, no exercise, no fiber, nothing. But I'm a vegan. But plant-based, whole food plant-based means you eat only whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables which are healthy. So we have to make it very clear vegan does not mean healthy at all.
(15:15) The word vegan means one who does not exploit animals. That's that's all you know about me. I told you when I say vegan you know Arvin does not eat this. But what does he eat? >> We don't know unless we ask him whole food plant-based or plant-based means clearly we are aiming now for optimal health. Uh >> that's the difference between vegan and plant-based.
(15:32) >> But um vegan patient >> Mhm. >> will most likely be on whole food plan. >> Not necessarily. Yeah. Because the only quam that vegans have is the ethical quam. But you know there is vegan ice cream, there is vegan donuts, there's vegan cheese, vegan pizza, vegan mock meat. So >> veganism doesn't mean health at all.
(15:52) Doctor, veganism has nothing to do with health. We have all kinds of junk food. Obviously, right? how much junk food we have and also all the our Indian chart item foods are by default vegans mostly if you remove the dehi from them so vegan does not mean healthy at all vegan just means this person will not consume or wear animal products that's all we know but whole food plant-based eating that person is doing it for health and think about it this way someone who's whole food plant-based is not necessarily a vegan they might be riding
(16:18) on horses vegans don't do that they might wear leather shoes or belt we don't do that so there's a big difference one is an animal rights cause the other is done for human That's the difference. >> Yeah. >> So, so in your um >> I I watch your videos and I know where you're coming from. >> Um do you think that traditionally our Indian food >> Mhm.
(16:39) >> is vegetarian friendly or vegan friendly? >> Yeah, it is definitely very vegan friendly because in fact 90% of the food we're already eating on a daily basis without even knowing happens to be vegan. And I could show the audience right now. Italy, dosa, chutney, sambar, puri, masala, chapati, kura, poha, um, pungal, kuri, utap, media, lemon rice, tomato rice, coconut rice, coriander rice, punja rice, tamarind rice, vegetarian, veget, rice, rice, rice, rice, rice, rice, rasbar noodles, goi manuran, mushroom maj, bale puri, pani
(17:04) puri, samosa, vada. So that was a lot of food from breakfast to lunch to snacks to dinner to Indo-Chinese cuisine. Understand that so much of our food is already vegan friendly. If we merely remove the dairy component from them and for example instead of using ghee butter use oil instead instead of using paneer use tofu instead instead of using some kind of creamer like curd use coconut milk instead and boom it's all vegan.
(17:28) Our food by default is very vegan friendly but not necessarily uh the most optimal healthy way of eating is al something I will I will contest because it's too high in carbohydrates. foods are way I know you all protein is has been overexpanded at the same time the Indian vegetarian diet and even an Indian vegan who eats primarily only these foods the protein content is less the carbohydrate content is way high let's say a person listening to this podcast >> believes Dr.
(17:58) Pal and then say okay so I will go whole foods plant-based >> maybe I'll eat a little bit of an uh uh animal food uh as needed as of now >> Mhm. But let's say I am also believing what Aramand is saying in terms of ethical reason. >> They want to give it a shot. >> They want to give it a shot. >> All right. >> How does a vegan reach 8 g per kilogram of protein? >> Yeah.
(18:20) So we have to be very smart about this because again people always say that high protein vegan/vearian foods are stuff like peanuts, chickpeas, kidney beans, moonong dal. And although these for example chickpeas and moon beans have like 18% protein in them the remainder like fat is so less but most of it like it's like 75% carbohydrate. So you're once again having a carbohydrate overload which is why you have to pick a food like soya chunks >> something it's very cheap.
(18:45) >> So if you can afford chicken you can afford soy chunks. It's not expensive at all. And 100 grams of soy chunks have anywhere from 50 to 55 grams of protein and they're not high in carbohydrates at all. Excellent source of protein. And also if you're like so like like me you like to eat a lot high volume food you if you take 100 grams of soy chunks it might be this much once you put them in boiling water and they soak the water it's >> correct >> this much. Yeah, I can eat that easily.
(19:08) I easily eat 100 grams a day. And instead of if you're not >> How much protein is 100 grams of soy? >> 50 to 55. Anyway, it depends on the brand you buy. >> 50 grams of protein. >> Yeah. >> 100 >> 100 grams of soy chunks. Yes. Yes. It's very very high. I think it's like the highest one of the highest you get.
(19:23) But again, it depends 50 grams in dry weight. >> Dry weight. >> But once you it triples in size. So we have to be aware of that. People might have difficulty in consuming such high volume. So soy chunks is one option. But if you have the difficulty in consuming such high volumes, tofu >> is also an option people can eat very protein dense.
(19:40) Again I think it's more higher on the fat side but again it's lower on the carbohydrate side which is what we're looking for right now. Low carb version then tempe also >> not not high on fat that much >> really. >> Uh it is still manageable. It's a wonderful source. >> Okay. Awesome. Awesome. I'm glad to know.
(19:55) Then tempeh which again is a soy based fermented soy food. >> So tell me educ educate the audience what is tempeh? So tempe is basically they are taking soybeans they put them into a bag they poke holes in it and then they culture them with this bacteria I believe it is a basilus lactobacillus is what they use >> um I don't know to be honest >> microisal I mean I'm not sure which one it is exactly I apologize for that you can check online if you want so they use that bacteria and then that bacteria eats up the negative things in it such as the oxalates the trips inhibitors
(20:23) then the lectins fitates which are all like no anti-nutrients the bacteria consumes that and then we have this wonderful fermented tempe with us which we humans can consume and it has I believe per 100 grams 18 g of protein and it's not that it's like a small block white block 18 is a lot of protein in that >> then have you doctor heard of something called Satan >> yes >> you have in fact I want to show the audience one thing if I can >> s i t a n >> yes not s a t a no not satan yeah >> so that is something called vital wheat
(20:53) gluten again I'm not necessarily recommending this brand is showing this thing has per 100 g 75 gram of protein. There's one thing you have to talk about doctor that is do correct me if I'm wrong. >> Soy is a complete protein >> right? It has all the essential amino acids and the bioavailability is really really good.
(21:10) >> Now when it comes to Satan bioavailability is good but the amino acid profile is quite poor. We got to be honest about this. 75 grams of protein but I believe since it's a grain it lacks certain amino acids. So if I am to make a curry I you take 50 grams of this and say 25 or 50 grams of soy chunks together.
(21:29) I combine them complete protein. So that's how I'm trying to manage my amino acid profile because it's important when you eat meat, dairy and eggs, you don't have to think about this. It's a complete protein. I be honest, it's a complete protein. Whereas this one, if you're eating something like Satan, it's best to combine it with some kind something from the legume family like even chickpeas, rajma, mung beans or tofu and you get a complete protein.
(21:47) The last one would be I can even show it to the audience. People not actually know about this. We have plant-based protein supplements on the market. So people do consume whey protein. We have pea protein isolate. We have things like soy protein. >> Educate the audience. Where is whey protein coming from? >> Milk.
(22:05) I mean it's the um I believe it's the byproduct of milk. >> Yeah. So pea protein is made from yellow. >> So whey protein is animal source. >> It's an animal source. Yeah. So vegans won't consume. >> Yeah. And this is from a pea. >> Yeah. Yellow split pea. >> Yellow split pea. >> Yes. They make pea protein. They also have soy protein isolate.
(22:21) And these days even in split peas they'll think oh the amino acid profile is not good. people are scientists are aware of this. They make sure that they complete the entire profile perfectly and then they give it to you. So if you're someone who is busy working in an office or something, I would say when you wake up in the morning, take one scoop of this again at night, take one scoop, eat your normal vegan food, you're set.
(22:38) You don't even have to think about protein, right? >> So >> um the other question is is a bioavailability of vegan protein powder the same as >> no whey protein obviously is higher. >> I had to be honest, it is king, right? It is king. But uh when it comes to soy protein isolate, it is we look at the speedy cast and das scores, it is rated nearly as high as whey. Higher. Yes.
(22:58) higher than many meat products in the PDS rating. >> And when it comes to pe protein isolate, it's around 94. 0.94 is the score they give it in a pdk. So, it's a pretty good source. Not as good as whey, but good enough. >> Good enough. >> Good enough. Good enough. Yeah. >> So, you combine all these sources to get you a protein.
(23:14) >> No, I mainly just take I eat a lot of soy. Doctor, I'll be honest. Yes. I I love soy. And people think soy will make you effeminate. I've been eating soy now for 11 years. I even got my blood test done recently. My thyroid levels are absolutely fine. I eat anywhere from 30 to 60 grams of protein from soy alone every single day.
(23:32) Been doing so for almost a decade. Absolutely fine. There's no issue with soy. Could you agree upon that and soy is not a problematic thing necessarily? >> Yeah. So I did a video on this >> where soy is a complete protein and the myth that it is causing thyroid problems. It just overhyped again. >> That's also overhyped. >> That's overhyped.
(23:51) So the the thing is that uh isoflavones >> grogens they said for uh >> huh grogens gyrogen means it can cause hypothyroidism. >> It prevents iodine absorption. >> Prevents iodine absorption. >> It is yes and no. Okay. Uh yes sense the the major component of soy isoflavone. >> Mhm. >> That interferes with thyroxine absorption. >> Oh >> okay. Thyroxine absorption.
(24:18) So that is why when you take a thyroid uh tablet they say that don't take anything along with it take it on empty stomach because absorption is very important. >> Okay. Okay. >> But the concentration of isoflavone should be so high >> m >> to interfere with their absorption. >> Okay. >> Okay.
(24:43) The soy that is grown in India in temperate climate >> you will no matter how high uh you try to do the isoflavon concentration will not be that high >> we have data on this >> we have data on this >> doctor please do send this me I want to make a video on this because I don't know why soy is being maligned so much it's a wonderful food and we vegans because people ask us okay you're telling me not to eat meat dairy and eggs now what do I eat okay please eat soy soy is unhealthy >> I'm like what do I say to this person I have to convince them so if you have the
(25:09) data doctor please send it me. I want to look at it and make a video on this. >> Of course, of course. I'll send it to you. Uh it's a it's a review article where they have combined all kinds of studies done on so >> like a meta analysis. >> Uh meta analysis is the Okay, there are two kinds of research study.
(25:23) Meta analysis analysis of all the studies that has been done. >> Review article is a review of whatever the literature has been done so far. >> Oh, the review. Okay. Okay. >> Uh which means that we get even more better analysis of what has been happened and everything. >> Okay. Okay. Um so yeah I'll send that to you.
(25:42) What they have figured out is yes it interferes with the thyroxine absorption but not to an extent that what people think. >> Okay. >> They do say that if you utilize soy as the only source of protein >> over a period of months >> then thyroid might be an issue. >> Might be even then not even will be might. >> Yeah. Exactly.
(26:02) And also you know breast cancer you must have heard about that. >> I think it soy helps women who are suffering. Yeah. So there is some kind of association. Again, it is not in a negative way. >> Okay. >> Not a negative way. So because it is a complete amino acid protein, it is a wonderful source for whole food plant-based. >> Yes.
(26:22) Yes. How many grams of soy protein can I consume a day? Like would be which would be like I'm going too far. >> Yeah. Yeah. So let's say that coming back to the same example of 60 kg patient 48 grams of protein, right? >> If it was me, I will not take all 48 grams with soy. >> Okay. Okay. I would say 30 g of soy, >> 18 g something else. >> Okay, >> let's say you take 40 g of soy on a daily basis.
(26:44) Even then >> probably nothing >> nothing may happen. But based on the data, it is better to be having protein sources from other things as well. >> All right. I'm a big soy consumer. Maybe you should >> add pea protein powder as well. >> I do now and then. But yeah, I I think soy chunks is just something I love eating.
(27:03) You know, the thing is that it it can give again like slightly meat like texture. Look, I I love I'll be honest, I'm a vegan for 11 years. I love how meat tastes, doctor, I'll be very honest. It tastes amazing. And tofu also, we can replace paneer with it. And paneer also tastes amazing. So, it no reminds me of that. And this keeps me happy.
(27:19) But yes, >> that's why many of us vegans stick to soy a lot. Yeah, >> soy is a wonderful source. >> Mhm. >> And calcium, how much calcium you get from tofu? Correct. Crazy amount of calcium. So, >> fiber >> in soy chunks, not in tofu. I would do that. Tofu is not so high in fiber. In so soy ch if you calculate the fiber you'll get the protein you'll get the fiber the only problem is the volume >> it's the volume yeah if you're like me you like to eat awesome I eat because 100 g of soy chunks in actually has around 18 to 19 g of fiber I'm telling
(27:48) you doctor I hit 40 g of fiber without even trying a day like I don't even make an effort for this as a vegan I mean think about it doctor like if and you say fiber is so healthy right yes so if you are someone who eats now only plant-based food you have to get your protein only from plants and fiber is found only in plants and all plants have fiber correct >> so if I am now eating soy chunks 100 grams a day because you see I'm a very people can't know this I'm actually a very tall >> tall person in real and I weigh at the
(28:16) moment 85 kg so I probably will need you would say I think 70 grams of protein >> I hit around 90 that's good right nothing wrong >> wow nothing wrong >> no yeah so it's not harmful right I go actually above 100 sometimes but yeah >> 100 grams of soy chunks every day 18 grams of fiber >> if I say I'm taking now whole wheat which is 100 grams ata and I'm making chapati.
(28:36) I'll get some three four chapati but that whole wheat 100 gram also has like 6 to 8 g of fiber in it and side dish will be like some 200 g of chana which has another 18 g of fiber. You see it's already adding 18 18 36 or 440 and I've only eaten like two meals so far. >> So it's it's nothing like what if I have oatmeal in the morning.
(28:55) It again adds up like getting your fiber on a plant-based diet. You don't even have to think. It is effortless. >> Wow. Wow. When you eat fiber rich, you know, people feel bloated and you know, you're not able to eat much. >> That is the problem when you start. >> Yeah. 11 years ago. Not now. >> Not nothing.
(29:19) Now I can in fact at home sometimes what I do is I try my best to eat as healthy. I've been traveling for the past 1 month which is why I look kind of all tired and dazed. But when I'm at home, I try my level best to eat as healthy as possible. And thank you for the videos that you also make because see seeing someone else also promoting healthy eating motivates us the normal people to also want to do it more like a community.
(29:39) We can look at each other and learn. And so >> I sometimes have this big tub in my house into which I have grated beetroot, carrots, uh red cabbage. I pick that all raw. Then I put beetroot, carrot, this lettuce. Uh then I put sorry my wife I had to ask her like cucumbers and some tomatoes also and I make this big batch of salad batch made and I put it in the fridge and it last up to 5 days and I eat like a big serving of it every day >> and that's it.
(30:07) >> That's a one wonderful point I want to make here is that >> storing food in the refrigerator is not a bad thing. >> Not a bad thing. Okay. >> Not a bad thing. Please uh listening to this podcast convenience always wins. I'm not expecting you a patient to keep on creating a salad on a daily basis. >> It takes me one and a half hours to chop it. Yeah.
(30:25) >> We call this as batch cooking. >> Yeah. Batch cooking. Yeah. >> Meal preparation. Uh so I do this once a week on a Sunday evening. >> Awesome. Awesome. >> We'll put it in the fridge and we'll keep in the US there's no other option anyways. >> Ah yeah. >> So I will I will do uh similar to what you say. So that's what you do.
(30:43) >> Yeah. And one recipe I love these days is that I just take like a handful of that salad, put it in a big bowl. Again, you need a big bowl for these doctor because you know they take up space. Then I have like some 100 to 200 g of chickpeas boiled already in a pressure cooker. Drain out the water.
(30:56) Add them to the salad. Tahini. >> Tahini. >> Oh my I love tahini. >> Hummus. I hate that at home a lot. Again, imagine the fiber I'm getting. Doctor, >> I don't even think about fiber, but I hit your recommendation exceed them every day without trying. And yeah, like my blood work is completely fine. I am not B12 deficient.
(31:17) I am not vitamin D deficient because I supplement them. That's also one important thing. We vegans have to supplement those vitamins. But yeah, I saying the recipe, add some chickpeas, add some tahini, some lemon juice and onions. Raw onions, beautiful taste. And you eat that salad. It's not unpleasant to eat. It's fun. It's delicious. It's healthy.
(31:33) We're not exploiting animals. And again, like the doctor suggests, I am hitting my fiber goals. Like it's Dr. I'm telling you again, I see your videos. You talk about fiber a lot. Me hitting my fiber goals is a joke. I'm telling you. Do you hit your yours easily or not? Like I'm asking you. No, you don't. How many grams do you have? >> See, I I have to be honest.
(31:53) I am a non-vegetarian. >> Okay. Uh I eat 80% plant-based. >> Mhm. >> 20% only I eat normal. Even then >> my intake is only 25 to 30 g. >> Seriously? >> Uh even then because see that's why I'm saying if you are not conscious of it, it is very difficult to achieve. >> But as a vegan I I'm not even conscious of it. It is too easy for me.
(32:16) >> That is because of the lifestyle that you adopted. >> Yeah. >> It is a byproduct of the choice that you make which is a healthy option. >> Yeah. In fact, many vegans used to point out in the earlier training that Arvin you chose to change because you care for animals but you yourself got a benefit out of that change which I didn't even want.
(32:34) I seems I got it and I had a doubt to ask you doctor if this is not TMI to ask on camera. >> How many bowel movements per day are normal? Because uh as someone who eats 40 g per day twice minimum, thrice at max. Is that normal? >> There is no number. >> Oh, >> okay. So some patients can be normal once every two days. >> Okay. >> Some patients can be normal three times a day.
(32:55) >> Okay. >> Some patients can be normal once a day. >> Even while eating high fiber like me. >> Huh? >> Really? Yeah. >> Our bodies respond differently. >> Correct. >> Okay. >> So, uh the problem that people should understand is the stool texture. >> Uh-huh. >> So, there's a Bristol stool check. Yes, I've seen that. 1 to 7. Mhm.
(33:11) >> One is constipation. Uh seven is loose to stools with diarrhea. >> If you're between like three and four, >> three and four without any abdominal pain, bloating, your gut health is amazing. Please don't waste money on the stool testing. Uh >> but I guess I'm doing just fine. >> Huh? >> I guess I'm doing fine and I'm not even trying. That's an awesome thing.
(33:29) >> You should be in Hudza tribe. If you decide to have kids in future, they would >> love you because they have you have given a beautiful genetic recipe for them. >> Yeah. And but doctor this took me a long time to cultivate like I believe this is my hard work >> because yes do you think I see because I was like a normal person when I was a mediator didn't have probably such good gut health constipation all these problems >> but do you think I have so when you said I lose gut bacteria I never get them back or do a small few strains remain
(34:06) inside and then when I eat healthy food again they >> correct exactly so that is the fine line that I'm trying to avoid >> okay >> u so even if there is So the good thing about gut bacteria it is malleable. >> It can be changed. It can be grown. It can be flourished, >> cultivated, >> cultivated. >> Okay. >> The key thing is variety.
(34:25) >> Okay. >> Uh if you when you say soy chunks is fiber. >> If you can just add fiber with a rainbow diet which means I already do >> uh multiple colors similar to how you said red cabbage >> that is exactly what I get back to your wants. Then I guess doctor, I'll be honest with you, I'm following your protocol flawlessly and I'm not even trying.
(34:46) I guess guys, this should be a sign for you all to eat plant-based and because when you just clear out that from the like I told you the options are open when I say this is grayed out for me, it's effortless to be having a healthy diet. >> Correct. Correct. So being back to the red meat thing, I I know it's controversial but I wanted to touch upon this as well.
(35:02) >> Sure. So in the US we do colonoscopies whenever patients turn 50 >> it is completely covered by insurance. >> Okay. >> Okay. So because there is increased rate of colon cancer. >> Mhm. >> When we do a colonoscopy there are polyp which is abnormal growths before turning into cancer we can remove it while doing the procedure >> manually.
(35:23) >> Manually. >> Okay. >> So that we prevent colon cancer. >> Right. Right. What we have figured out in terms of research is patients who are eating a lot more red meat >> Mhm. >> are increased risk of developing more colon polyp and more colon cancer. >> Okay. Okay. >> It is about the amount >> that's a correlation.
(35:42) >> Ah okay. >> And we there have multiple studies saying that red meat consumption is associated with increased risk of colctal cancer. >> But as we talked about briefly fiber intake attenuates the risk. Mhm. Mhm. >> We don't know how much. >> Okay. >> Okay. So, when you ask me what kind of meat I eat, >> Mhm. >> I avoid red meat.
(36:02) >> Okay. >> As much as possible because I'm getting my source of protein from other uh >> Right. Right. Right. >> So, um that was the angle that we discussed. >> Right. >> The bigger problem in vegan diet that everybody is saying that there is no vitamin B12. >> I should take supplements. >> What is your take on it? So yeah, vitamin B12 is found in some vegan foods but just not in enough quantities that would meet the RDI or enough for the body to absorb.
(36:29) For example, tempe since it has microbes in it does contain B12. You must have heard of kombucha does contain B12. So there are a few foods like this but um B12 supplement is around 1500 micrograms of B12 is what I would suggest at least twice a week. Would you agree with that recommendation or what do you think? >> Yes.
(36:46) Um so you know >> 1500 15,00 micrograms. >> Um so which will translate into 1 mg to 1.5 mg tablets. >> Mhm. I I even have a tablet with me. You want to see >> Yeah. It is a I would say a drawback in a vegan lifestyle >> that uh unfortunately B12 needs to be supplemented. >> But but is it really a drawback doctor? Like for example a supplement if my body gets it from meat or a supplement does it really know or care in the end of the day if it gets the nutrient? >> Huh? You can also argue that way.
(37:20) >> Is it a fair argument I'm asking? I'm generally asking though like okay so based on gut health what we know is >> we did the research on whey protein powder. >> Mhm. >> And whole foods giving protein. >> Mhm. Mhm. >> You will say whey protein powder is a supplement. >> Yes. But gut health wise, whole foods protein source is much better adapting rather than supplement >> for overall health outcome.
(37:44) You're talking >> overall in general gut health. >> Okay. >> But that small difference >> how is it going to affect the big outcome? Nobody knows. >> You don't know. Okay. >> And you can assume that it is very small >> but it is there slightly there. >> Okay. But so you're saying that an omnivorous diet with majority of plant foods has a slight edge over someone taking a B12 supplement if I'm right to paraphrase it that face it that way.
(38:11) >> Um from a gut health standpoint let me put it that way. >> Okay. Okay. >> Does it affect you in the overall health outcome? Probably not. >> Probably not. Okay. >> Probably not. >> Um >> and there's no risk in taking. >> There's no risk in people to be scared of supplements, right? No need to fear. I am completely against supplements in other departments >> such as >> um probiotic supplements.
(38:32) >> Okay. Okay. >> Okay. And uh you know people take >> you will not believe turmeric supplements. >> Yeah supplements. Right. So all this completely but this one is a medical treatment that we give. >> The advantage of this is for example patients come with there is something called peripheral neuropathy. >> Mhm.
(38:56) where when B12 is less you'll start getting neuropathic pains. >> Okay. Okay. >> Okay. Um people will say that you know there's numbness and pain. >> The first thing that we ask is are you a vegan? >> Oh wow. Okay. >> And then we ask are you an alcoholic? >> Okay. >> When you drink alcohol >> I'm not equating both of these >> but okay >> because both causes lack of B12.
(39:19) >> Oh drinking alcohol leeches B12 from the body. >> Of course. Oh, >> big time folic acid and B12 is completely gone. >> Okay. Okay. >> That is why we call it as macroyic anemia. They causes uh blood cells which is very big >> because your body is trying to generate so much that they're not able to generate the hemoglobin.
(39:39) So the cells become really big. >> Okay. Okay. >> So the treatment is B12 supplement. >> Okay. Okay. >> Uh but the beauty of this B12 supplement is it lasts for a long time. >> Mhm. one injection maybe even lasting for two to three months. >> Right. Right. Right. >> Uh daily 1 milligram every day for 30 days is good enough for almost 6 months to a year.
(40:00) >> Right. But I did see one study I'm not exactly sure and some vegans do say that if they take something less than 1500 micrograms say that the dose is too less the body does not just does not absorb enough. So if I were necessarily say supplementing every day with a lesser dose I might be deficient. >> Which is why I choose to do it this way.
(40:16) Right. >> Correct. This is also a good option. Mhm. >> There's also sublingual B12. >> Yeah. >> That you might know. >> Yes. Yes. >> The absorption is >> much higher. >> Okay. Okay. >> But expensive. >> Yeah. Yeah. This is neurokind odi over the counter. You get anywhere in India at any pharmacy.
(40:32) So take this twice a week. I think you're pretty much set on B12. But you should take a vegan should take B12 supplements. It's not a joke. >> If you don't take it, you'll have issues. Yeah. >> Correct. Correct. >> So I agree that taking a supplement on a vegan diet is not going to affect >> overall health. >> Okay. So that I agree.
(40:50) So second is vitamin D. >> Mhm. >> Uh plants are not a major source of vitamin D. >> Not at all actually. >> Not at all. >> I don't think plants have the organs or the capacity to store vitamin D in their body. However, fungi do. >> Like lychen is that the word? Yeah. So vegan vitamin D, they make it through cultivating fungi.
(41:10) And I have with me a vegan vitamin D supplement. I can show it to you. >> Sure, please. Uhhuh. >> So this in animal source is mainly found in fatty fish. It's vegan D3. >> Yeah. >> And it has I think 600 I use that is the RDI. So I take one of these a day. >> Nice. >> One of these a day. >> Yeah. For sure. Yes. One of these a day.
(41:28) >> Uh I am suggesting when somebody's listening to this podcast and they are considering this kind of lifestyle, they should check the vitamin D level first. >> Yeah. Yes. Yes. >> And then because 600 IU might not be enough if they are deficient. >> Of course. Absolutely. Absolutely. In fact uh this issue happened and if you are deficient you have to take if I'm not wrong doctor like far higher doses like thousand 10,000 times higher of I use in order to then bring your levels back up and then maintain them through
(41:55) these kind of normal supplements and most of them are made through lanoline that is sheep wool >> that is what they use which is not vegan by the way but we do have vegan vitamin D3 supplements I'm not able to get the brand name if someone wants to know what this is I have a video titled you saw it the ultimate guide to veganism in India in that there's a section talking about If you're already deficient as a vegan, what to do? Ive mentioned that the brand name, people can consume that brand.
(42:17) Of course, check with your doctor when you're consuming such high doses because toxicity also exists. It's a fat soluble vitamin. >> Fat soluble vitamin. Um only I'm sorry, it's not thousand. It's 100 times because 60,000 units is what we prescribe. >> 600. >> Oh, okay. >> So 1000 times more. >> Oh, right. Right. Right.
(42:33) >> 100 more. Um this once a week. >> Mhm. >> Okay. And we give it for four to 6 weeks >> and levels go back up. >> Huh. Immediately. And then you supplement with this and maintain maintain. >> Okay. Got it. Got it. >> It is very important. >> Okay. >> Very important. If you are deficient, just supplementing with 600 IU alone will not be. It will be nothing.
(42:51) Yes, you're right. I agree. >> How about omega3 fatty acids? >> Okay. So, when it comes to omega3, we do have omega3 in the plant kingdom, but they're in the form of ALA, alpha lenolic acid, which the body then has to convert into EPA and DHA, the longchain ones. And the conversion the human body does is depending on I guess genes, it changes and it's not so efficient.
(43:10) So fish eat algae which is a plant and then they have omega3 in their body. The vegans just take an algae based DHA supplement. Again these two are mandatory when it comes to omega3. I leave it usually up to people's discretion. >> I'll show you Dr. Actually what I do. >> So I have a box like this.
(43:27) People might think I'm crazy but we have pill box. >> Yeah pill box you can say. And here there is um Monday to Sunday you can see written there. And I have put exactly three B12 tablets throughout the week. And then also I've been supplementing recently a few times a week with omega3 and vitamin D is there every day.
(43:46) And I keep this like next to a place in the house where I know I will walk. So I walk by I'll see it today. Boom. Drink water done. It's labeled even Monday to Sunday. So >> yeah, it's nicely labeled. >> Yeah. As a vegan, see guys, you don't have to be necessarily scared of supplements. But as vegans, we have to also be aware of certain things.
(44:02) See, we cannot lie. I choose to be vegan. I don't want to exploit animals all good but we can't now we have to okay if I'm not eating the animal how will I get the nutrient we have to be conscious of this because there are many people who do become vegan and they struggle in fact you won't believe doctor your friend did you know Mr.
(44:20) Saranakumar he actually seriously guys he actually contacted me in the DMs a few months ago he told me Aravind Aravind I actually went vegan after seeing your videos but then now I'm back to eating meat. I asked him why so sir what happened? He told me well I'm just not doing good right now. I asked him did you supplement with B12? He told no.
(44:36) Did you take vitamin D supplements? No. Did you eat tofu or soy chunks? No. Then what did you do? He merely stopped eating meat, dairy and eggs, removed them from his plate and just ate what's remaining. >> Not healthy. We have to replace. you have to supplement. And also I have to speak about this doctor. There are a lot of misinformation on the internet.
(44:53) Unfortunately, even regards to a vegan lifestyle, there are lots of people who promote things like um a fast or a cleanse or a detox. Not that I have anything against those per se, but if someone is going to eat only fruits and vegetables for 20 days and think it is necessarily detoxing and healthy, I would contest that.
(45:12) I would respectfully contest that and I would say that's not the way to go. Whole food plant-based is different. M >> we include cooked foods as well. We include supplements as well >> that can balance things out. >> So that I think it's very important as a vegan that we are aware of the advantages and the disadvantages. So we make a very informed choice on it and supplementation is very critical when it comes to vitamin D and B12 for vegans.
(45:34) I would definitely recommend those. >> We recommend as a gastronologist where you add fermented food >> on a daily basis. >> Vegan fermented options. Uh I mean they do exist like again tempeh >> I think sauerkraut is a German sauerkraut >> is a German food then again kombucha >> kombucha >> yeah but again I personally I'm not I guess focusing much on probiotic because I look in India South Indian as a growing up a vegetarian family kurd is the probiotic you get I just stopped eating kurd I just ate high fiber I guess I I never considered it but is
(46:09) this something I need to consider doctor like as a vegan should I really be focused on my probiotic or is it enough if I eat enough prebiotic food like should I this >> that's a good question it's a good question you are asking whether it is enough to give the nourishments to the existing bacteria >> or should I put in more bacteria won't they >> I think it should combine both >> okay that's important >> it is important because the bacteria you need variety as we talked about >> okay >> so let's say you have we talked about
(46:34) that uh 1800 species that we have >> so let's say that you have 1800 okay >> mhm >> um and then you are is giving prebiotic for the 1800 species. So what will happen? >> They proliferate >> but there'll be nothing more in addition. >> Yes. Yes. >> Uh that is being created or being uh >> so basically the bacteria you spoke about in the beginning that were lost can be put back through other means.
(47:01) >> Other means. >> Okay. >> The one that is lost uh in a generation wise we cannot uh uh replace that. >> Okay. Okay. But in this generation because of the environmental factors when it is declining >> that bacteria we can supplement. >> Okay. >> So for example let's say you take sauerkraut or kombucha.
(47:21) Kombucha is a wonderful drink. >> Yeah. I drank it a few times. Very fizzy >> fizzy drink. Yeah. >> You need like aqua taste. >> Yeah it's an aqua taste. >> Aqua taste. Let's say that kombucha has bacteria A. >> Mhm. >> And that bacteria A is declining in you. Mhm. >> No matter how much amount of prebiotic that you do, it may proliferate but not to an extent.
(47:40) >> Okay. Your species is missing with slowly declining. >> Okay. >> So yes, it is a combination of probiotic and prebiotic is better. >> Better. Okay. >> But in your case, prebiotic is so much >> Mhm. >> that you are okay. >> Probably all right. Okay. Probably >> you're probably all right. >> But drinking a few kombuchas now and then is also okay.
(48:01) >> It will be good. It's better. better. >> Kimchi is something that you should do. >> Oh, we do love kimchi. Korean food. Correct. Really awesome. Yeah. Is it a probiotic? I didn't know that. >> Of course, it's a fermented cabbage. >> Okay. Okay. No, I like it. I really like him. It's awesome. >> And you can also make multiple fermented vegetables.
(48:18) >> Okay. >> Leftover rice. >> Ah, halos. >> Ah, all these are small small things that you can fine fine >> vegan options every time. >> Okay. Thank you. Thank you. >> How about coffee? That is something that I don't want to miss >> on my I guess you will have if you really like coffee and you like do you like the caffeine rush or do you like it along with the milk >> the milk along with the milk thing.
(48:38) >> Okay. Then in that regard you have to try some of those plant-based options. You have to try like soy milk, almond milk or I think they have oat milk. Oat milk. Oh my goodness. Have you had oat milk doctor? >> No. >> You should try it once in your life. If I like blindfold you right now and gave you oat milk, you'd think it's cow's milk.
(48:54) Like they've now mastered a way to make the texture and flavor because that mouth feel, right? They have mashed it to cow's milk right now perfectly. So you could try oat milk and coffee. You might like that. But I would say to people if you want to become a vegan understand we're doing it for the animals. So even if you don't get that taste I'd say still give it up because I mean you drink coffee for the caffeine rush most you can drink black coffee as well.
(49:16) So that would be my >> So you know you talked about whitel weed gluten. >> Okay. Which is related to sitan. >> Yeah. We use that to make satan. Yeah. >> Satan. >> Yeah. >> How about celiac disease patients gluten-free. >> Yeah. They they they can't eat Satan. Yeah, of course they can. It's fully gluten.
(49:31) But again, uh me being alive now for 33 years, I have not met a single Indian so far in my life who has celiac. Is it wrong of me to say doctor that the gluten thing was like a trend or a fad in >> Yeah, it's it's overhyped. But there are three different categories. >> First is pure celiac disease where they are completely allergic to gluten.
(49:48) >> Yeah. >> If you put a gluten in your body, the body will eat up your intestines >> because of autoimmune antibodies. Okay. Okay. >> And your intestines will be damaged. >> Okay. >> And that will represent as lack of growth. >> Oh, >> many kids will be stunted. >> Okay. Okay. >> Because you'll not grow and there'll be more absorption because they'll not be absorbed.
(50:08) >> Okay. >> That is a true celiac disease patient in India. Punjab is a state where celiac disease is increasingly prevalent and common. >> I did not know. Okay. >> South India is not. >> Okay. Not that much. >> Okay. >> Um those patients are the only patient who should completely avoid gluten. Mhm. >> The second category is a patient with irritable bubble syndrome which means which means that the good gut bacteria is 10% or 20% something like that but bad bacteria is a lot more >> in that patient this bad gut bacteria
(50:40) loves gluten. >> Okay. Okay. >> So when it starts having uh we have gluten there's something called fructins. Uh there are some complicated terms basically what it does is basically digest. >> But are fruans carbohydrates? Okay. There are no carbs here. >> This is hardly any carbs. This is only protein.
(50:58) Like this is like almost like this is 75% protein. Just a bare bones of carbohydrates and fats in this. >> Huh. Correct. But but some patients with IBS will not be able to handle gluten for a certain period of time. >> All right. Okay. Okay. >> Until they fix the gut health. >> Ah. >> So we call it elimination diet. >> Okay. >> So we remove it for like four to six weeks gets it reset and then we introduce it back again.
(51:21) >> All right. All right. The third category is your fad category >> where they think normal patient >> no problem at all if I do gluten-free >> I optimizing my health. >> Okay. Okay. Fine. >> That is not true. >> Okay. Got it. Got it. >> That is not true. So bottom line is that uh sitan can be used >> for normal patients without any problems.
(51:45) >> Awesome. >> Uh they don't have to be worried that it's gluten. >> Awesome. I'm glad to hear you. >> That is the point. >> Okay. Thank you doctor. Thank you. >> Okay. Okay. So, we talked about it a lot. A lot of things we talked. >> Yeah. >> I want to know your typical diet. >> Okay.
(52:02) So, breakfast is usually something that is Indian Italy >> usually and I actually skip coconut chutney these days because if I'm not wrong doctor, coconut is mainly saturated fat >> and it's not necessarily good for my heart. >> I'm not wrong. >> It is a debatable topic. >> Debable topic. >> But uh one thing is true that high insaturated fat is not good.
(52:20) >> All right. All right. >> Uh so it is always better to have low saturated. >> All right. >> Does it mean that should we have to exclude coconut completely? Probably not. >> Probably not. Yeah. But I don't know. I personally have I just eat it with sambar or sometimes I just have oatmeal. And for oatmeal you don't even need something like soy milk.
(52:35) Just take like half a cup of oats, put it in a bowl, mix some water and then cook it on heat. Then to it you add like a chopped banana, some chopped nuts, some raisin, some dates and that's a breakfast you can have. And these days just to make sure I'm hitting my protein goals in the morning, I also have like a scoop of protein powder along with my oatmeal.
(52:51) So set along with the protein and this super. >> And apart from that >> and you you do pea based. >> Okay. Okay. >> And then apart from that I will also for the I create 100 g of uh soy chunks almost every single day. >> So with that I have like half of it with my lunch, half of my dinner and like I'll have like a cup of rice and then I will have a lot of vegetables.
(53:12) Sometime I have developed a taste doctor for just plain boiled vegetables. >> I like boiled carrots, boiled cabbage, boiled spinach, boiled you name it, I eat it. Boiled cauliflower, boiled broccoli. I just eat it like that. And then now and then snacking. I actually prefer eating fruits over eating sugary snacks. I just like this.
(53:34) I don't know why. >> Nice. >> I just prefer I eat a lot of different fruits for for dessert. And then if I want a snack means now and then I'll um hummus like I told you that's a great snack to have. You can dip some carrots or some cucumber and eat. >> So and then we eat kout we make at home along with lentils we make that and sometimes I make satan as my side dish instead of soy chunks.
(53:54) Sometimes we make like a big batch of instead of palak paneer palak tofu >> batch and like it's basically the traditional food that we eat. I also love these things bean burritos. So I buy all these pinto beans. I mash them up nicely. Then I make chapati. Put them in there. Put some uh what do you call tomatoes, onions, green bell peppers, a little bit of barbecue sauce and mustard.
(54:15) And I just eat that and I I love it. So I'll eat like 300 g of kidney beans in the for dinner like that. So that's like pretty much what I eat. >> Is it is it timeconuming >> to eat all this much? >> No. To cook. >> To cook. Yeah, of course. Yeah. I mean if you want to make at home, you have to spend the time cooking. But there are vegan options available.
(54:35) >> Well, in India, if we were traveling around, you don't get healthy much vegan options. You have to again stick to the Italy dosa what I said there. And look, if you're eating out, forget about eating healthy. I don't care whether you're a vegan or a non-vegan. I would contest that anybody if you want to eat healthy, make your food at home.
(54:50) I think that's a fair statement to make. Yeah. Yeah. >> So, yeah. And we go out to eat, for example, meals. Um, we'll order a vegetarian meal, South Indian platter, and we'll just tell them, do we don't want the sweet, we don't want the curd. And we'll ask whether like what are the side dishes there are.
(55:05) And usually that is in itself a vegan dish because the sambar and the rasam don't have any kind of dairy in it. Instead of eating curd I'll ask an extra sambar or some plenty of veggies maybe a banana or two for dessert. You have like a vegan meal right now. You're traveling. M >> so also all of our Indo-Chinese cuisine doctor if you look at it all those manurian fified as unhealthy I know complete garbage but for healthwise but they are vegan they happen to apparently be vegan if you just avoid like the um >> aner manurian and some of those things
(55:32) they drizzle some honey on it if you avoid that by the way honey is not vegan it's animal based food >> honey is not vegan >> honey is not vegan no so you do you can eat vegan while traveling as well can you be healthy while traveling as a vegan >> probably not so doctor I actually have like an interesting story to share with you and one of your videos actually had a very profound impact on me.
(55:49) In fact, you won't believe this. As of today, when I'm talking to you right now, we're recording on October 9th, 2025. I am 6 months sober, clear of alcohol. And it is one of your videos honestly, that pushed me to the edge of wanting to quit. the video you uploaded where you came from the emergency room fully wearing a mask everything cap and you're speaking to the camera and saying that >> some kid I believe in America was binge drinking and partying at night to the point where suddenly he started to throw up blood
(56:21) >> and then he came running to the hospital and you stitched him up literally cut him open and stitched him up his stomach and then you said in the end we are humans too if you want to binge drink at least do it in the morning so I'm awake I don't have to come running like this and I don't know why that video two things left an impact on me.
(56:38) One is obviously the puking of blood because when I was watching that I was drunk completely and look full disclaimer guys um I used to and by used to only 6 months drink a lot so surprising >> I know people say that to me but yeah I was a drunk and um hearing that blood vomit thing I don't know why every time I took a sip again I was like >> like you know it instills a sense of fear like I I know what could happen potentially if I continue doing this.
(57:10) the fear that instills in me and second thing when you said at least drink in the morning I was like >> even they are humans like we do all this nonsense and then you we pay the price and along with us you guys have to struggle with us to make sure we survive for the sense of guilt I felt so that was one of the reasons why because earlier doctor I'll be honest with you I'll be very honest that may scare the audience I don't know how I'm still alive right now for the amount I used to drink alcohol the fact that I'm alive
(57:37) right now itself a miracle maybe like you're saying the high fiber diet I'm eating was probably um cutting out most of the negative effects. But either way, I chose to stop right now and that video really had like a profound impact on >> Wow. Thank you. Thank you for saying that. Don't drink.
(57:52) If you've ever not drank alcohol, you're not missing out on anything. Have you ever freaking ask you drank alcohol? >> No. >> So awesome. Be like him. >> No. >> Yeah. You don't have to. >> For some reason, I have always I also read about it as well. >> Yeah. The thing is that when you first start it feels so good. >> Then you start drinking just to feel good because if you take it out you feel bad.
(58:15) >> So in the beginning it's like it's like a trick. It's it plays in your mind like you start drinking because you're thinking ah this I'm drinking it feels so awesome so awesome. Then every time you don't drink it's not like you just feel normal. You feel sad. >> But but but is alcohol vegan? >> Alcohol is vegan.
(58:30) >> Vegan. >> Alcohol is vegan. >> So that's why you're saying that vegan diet doesn't mean it's a healthy diet. >> No it does not. Weirdly enough, I was drinking a lot of alcohol while eating a healthy vegan diet though. >> Figure that out. >> I I I look I'm just odd I guess in that regard. But >> you know I I saw your blood work and everything.
(58:47) >> I have a strong hypothesis over here where >> we have done research on alcohol. Even one drop of alcohol will deplete few percentage of good gut bacteria. >> Oh, even one drop of so drinking that's why we're completely against it. I have a feeling that maybe the decrease in the percentage of good gut bacteria is being supplemented by your fiber intake.
(59:10) >> But tell me your point of view what is happening at the back end. All right. So like you said we all know that meat comes from animals but nobody has actually necessarily witnessed the slaughter. >> So it's one thing to talk about this. It's one thing to see it on a screen in a video say and it's another thing to see it in person happening in front of your eyes and it's even a step further when you empathize with the animal and put yourself in their position.
(59:37) So I've taken you on four levels right now. Number one is just talking it's uncomfortable then seeing uncomfortable seeing in person in uncomfortable but then asking what if that was me what if that was me and how come these animals behave in the exact same way we humans do when we face fear or pain. They scream, they shout, they tremble because it's not this quick and it's done.
(1:00:02) That's not how this world works. We we want it to be that way. We wish it were that way and it's not. when we look at the videos, when we go and see what's happening in slaughter house, and I'll encourage people, I know this is hard to do. Okay? But like I said in the beginning, if you choose to consume meat, dairy, and eggs, at least you have to bear witness to what's happening.
(1:00:19) That's not unfair to ask. At least bear witness and see what's happening in the back end. And trust me, be if you ever go to a slaughter house, your life will change. I would say that there's a saying, if every slaughter house had glass walls, we would all stop eating meat. So >> educate us about a slaughter house.
(1:00:37) How does a slaughter house look? >> A slaughter house is a big room >> where has a place called a kill floor where animals are dragged into the middle screaming and terrified where they can see the blood and bodies of their family and relatives who were butchered before them. And then there held down with their hands and legs tied up.
(1:00:56) And somebody comes and pulls back their head, rubs water on their neck, takes a giant knife and begins sawing into their neck. And blood have to say it. Blood spurts out and they scream and they behead them and they throw their head aside like >> oh my god. >> Uh we look you see something black here. I smooshed my finger the other day. Um like it cracked open with blood inside.
(1:01:19) It hurt so badly when they come to do my blood test. It's not too painful but I don't like my body having a needle pierced. I can't even begin to imagine um what it must be like because I understand first of all these are animals. They're not humans. They are not as cognitive as me and you are. They probably cannot do a podcast.
(1:01:37) They don't uh plan for the future. They live in the moment. They don't have the six sense like we do. But they feel fear. They feel pain. They suffer and they cry and they squeal in agony and terror. And all for what? What if this wasn't necessary? >> I understand. If this had to be done for us to survive, >> it's the world.
(1:02:01) It's the way the world works. I can't question it. But what if we could create another world? >> That's where we vegans come in. We're saying, you know what? We can we can create a food system where we remove animals from it completely and have our nutrition come through plant or synthetic sources. We have the technology now.
(1:02:19) Look, 150 years ago, if you ask me, can you be a vegan? probably not, doctor, because B12 supplements do not exist. >> Vitamin D supplements do not exist. So, I will end up getting some deficiency. But right now, like we've spoken, I can eat a whole food plant-based diet along with supplementing a few nutrients and be just as optimally healthy as you are.
(1:02:36) >> I can be as just as a vegan, do you agree? I can be just as healthy as you. >> Maybe even more. >> Maybe even more. Right? So, with that being the case, then why are we doing this to them? That's my question. If it's not for survival, if it's not for health, why we are taking away the one thing that is most precious to them, their life and for taste mostly.
(1:02:59) It's a taste preference we have developed. And that is what we vegans are questioning. And not just that, I also want to talk about two more things. People ask us, you don't eat meat. I understand what's wrong with milk. U can I can I ask a question? I mean, I'm I'm a lay man here to be honest. Okay. >> Um, >> so yes, you know, we're killing animals and slaughter houses.
(1:03:20) This sounds brutal to me. >> It is. Yeah. >> Very brutal. Very brutal. And it's not sound, it is brutal. >> It is. >> Um, but at an ancestor >> Mhm. >> they have hunted animals. >> They have killed animals. Yes. Meat is a rich person's food. The only uh occasionally we have we are successful. >> Isn't it a Darwinian theory of evolution? >> It is doctor.
(1:03:41) It is a D because in according to Darwinian theory it is survival of the fittest right the strongest and most adaptive gene survives that's it >> but >> that's not what we base society on society is not based on Darian evolution that means the one who is the rowdy the one who is the gunda might is right is always right but there in society we have rules and we have laws think about it we have right now had so many wrong things happening between each other as human beings be it stuff like racism sexism, castism, all these kinds of
(1:04:12) discriminations where one group of humans have dominated and subjugated another group of human beings. >> Even if you ask right now, many times in society, one group of humans can actually benefit from exploiting another group. In fact, being nice to a fellow human being may not be the most beneficial thing for you, but we do it because we are decent.
(1:04:32) >> Sometimes it's not only about what we get like you said. So if it truly was survival of the fittest, like you said, Darwinian evolution, I think it's only fair to apply it everywhere. If you say you wanted to be Darwinian evolution, okay, agreed. Then war is Darwinian evolution. Genocide is Darwinian evolution.
(1:04:51) Every single act of violence we witness in society is Darwinian evolution at play. But in society, we say no, those are wrong because we are civilized human beings. Well, what act of civilized behavior takes place inside a slaughter house? Nothing. So my argument is if we can show consideration towards fellow human beings, which we should, what is wrong in showing consideration towards our fellow animals who are not only cats and dogs, but also the farmed animals when we're clearly doing it when we don't have to.
(1:05:21) >> Do you get my argument? So is are you right to say it's evolution? Yeah, you're right. But you know what? Evolution is bad. Nature is evil. Nature doesn't see nature doesn't care about Dr. Paul's well-being. It only cares whether you survive and reproduce. That's all it cares, right? It wants you to proliferate your genes as much as possible.
(1:05:37) That's all nature wants from us. But we want a quality of life. We want happiness. You want to be with their family or loved ones. So do these animals. So why not give that to them when we don't need to do that to them. Do you get my point? That's my argument. >> But again, >> go on. >> So all these are just general questions that comes to me.
(1:05:58) By all means, by all means point here, please. Yeah. >> Um, so when you go plant-based, >> um, so you know, you are plcking the plant out and you know, there is fertilizers, pesticides, you're killing all the insects that is feeding the plants. >> Isn't that considered as a killing thing? >> You're absolutely right. We are killing.
(1:06:16) Absolutely. Fair to point that out. There are two things to note here. First of all, we vegans say that we do not exploit any sentient life. Sentient meaning an organism that can feel pain and suffering and has subjective consciousness in this world like you and me or a chicken, a pig and a cow. We are all aware and we all feel.
(1:06:36) However, you look at a plant there is no brain. There is no nervous system. There is no ocular receptor to see, no sonar receptor to hear, no alfactory receptor to smell, no gustate receptors to taste, no tactile receptors to touch, no cognitive abilities at all, no neurons, nothing. That organism is an inscentient organism.
(1:06:58) Which means right now as a human being in this world, I agreed I'm killing the plant. I have to kill to eat to survive. So where do I choose from? those organisms which I know will suffer just like me or those which I know will not feel pain and suffering at all. When I'm given these two options, isn't it a no-brainer to not pick the animal option and pick only the plant option? Because that's the difference.
(1:07:20) One group can feel pain and suffering whereas the other cannot. >> So gut bacteria would be inscentient then >> absolutely >> incant there are many animals that are inscentient. For example, jellyfish are inscentient. Clams and oysters are inscentient. Even the insects we see by the way we don't know if they are sentient but we vegans error on the side of caution which is why we don't consume honey we don't wear silk we don't know in that case we are take a step back but when you mention the insecticide and pesticide you have to understand that a
(1:07:48) vegan world if we do manage to create one is not utopia it's not a perfect world it's only a world where we humans stop exploiting animals but regardless whether we exploit them or not this earth is a battle for survival for all species So in a vegan world, a tiger will still attack us, right? An angry dog will still try to bite us and insects will still try to eat our crops which we have to fend off.
(1:08:13) We are not saying we can solve all forms of animal violence. We can solve all forms of human induced animal exploitation. The human induced part what we ourselves are doing that can be stopped. If an animal still wants to fight with us, that cannot be stopped and we have to deal with it in whichever way we can. Do you >> protect ourselves? >> I'm sorry. to protect ourselves.
(1:08:32) >> Yeah, exactly. All our resources. Do you understand the distinction? And here is one thing that humans ourselves are causing. The other thing is happening and if we can be non-lethal, cool. Non-lethal. If we have to be lethal, we have to be lethal. That's the difference. >> And doctor, I really have to be honest with you.
(1:08:50) I I just have to say I have more stuff to say, but still, thank you so much for even inviting here on your podcast and giving me an opportunity to speak about all of this so openly and candidly. you have such a big platform and you're extending an olive branch over to the vegan community and with this so much of your audience can be educated about really what does happen to animals.
(1:09:07) So I just want to say to you like it really means so much to me you're doing this. >> Oh thank you. Thank you. Seriously I'll tell you my angle. Uh I I feel like plant-based diet is the way to go but let's say that if we can add an ethical >> angle to that >> why not? Uh is my angle to it? But I know there are lots of arguments. Um we talked about the slaughter slaughter houses.
(1:09:32) >> The same thing is happening in the dairy industry. >> That's what's important because people think that since in the dairy industry they don't necessarily kill the animal. It's okay. So we have to understand first of all that did you know sir that cows and buffaloos don't produce milk. Are you aware of that? >> Cows don't produce milk.
(1:09:47) >> No. Mothers produce milk. Think for a moment. Not any female mammal produces milk. Only a female mammal when pregnant or when she's a mother will produce milk. That's very important this fact because we are told that we think when they say that cows produce milk, we think they produce milk all the time. They produce milk only when they are pregnant.
(1:10:07) They're lactating just like human mammals right mammals, right? So a mammal produce milk only when they are pregnant or after having given birth. So the question is how do Indian how do cows and buffaloos get pregnant on an Indian dairy farm? This might be a bit graphic but I have to be honest. A cow or buffalo is tied up against her will and her backside is exposed.
(1:10:25) A man then takes his arm and shows it deep into the cow's anus and then he holds her uterus. Then he takes a steel catheter containing bullsemen which is injected directly into her vagina and she's forcefully made pregnant against her will. She's tied up and this is done to her. Now we have to ask if this action were done to a woman in our society what would we call it? But if done to a cow or buffalo, it's called milk, ghee, cheese, butter, lassi, chas, paneer, kulfi, ice cream, milk chocolate, double cheese, pizza with stuffed crust. Understand that for
(1:11:02) every dairy product we consume, this is the beginning stage. Without forced impregnations of female animals, we cannot get dairy. And then once she's pregnant or the baby is born, in case the baby born is a male, understand that a male calf cannot produce milk. Only a female can.
(1:11:22) So he is separated from his mother at birth and that mother will scream for days and days for the baby to be given back to her. Just like how any human mother if they were held down at birth and had their child ripped from their arms, how they would scream. We would all scream. They feel the same pain. But they can't scream in our language.
(1:11:38) and they are powerless and they're vulnerable and we take advantage of it and we separate the mother and child and we then take the child and they are killed and they are turned into beef or leather the baby the male calf >> which is just one day or one week old. Yes, routinely happens all across the world including our country and then the mother now she's lactating she the milk is taken put into packets and sold to us.
(1:12:02) In case the baby born is a female, she too is separated from her mother and they give her some kind of chemical artificial food to give her nutrition because see if she drinks that milk, I get less profit. For each extra liter of milk I sell, more money I make. So I don't give the baby any milk. I then take the baby aside, give her some special liquid formula.
(1:12:20) She grows up and once she's of age, whatever happened to her mother will happen to her as well. So after continuous forced impregnations for years and years almost like half a decade a little more and having her baby taken from her from her multiple times she's both physically and mentally distraught.
(1:12:36) See a cow might just be a cow not a human but you have to understand that these are sensitive individuals. They are individuals who can feel not to the level of you and me emotionally but they have emotions and they have physical pain completely like us. So but the point is that they ask well what's wrong with milk? Everything everything that that's the problem.
(1:12:55) So it's not just >> the cows cannot produce milk without being impregnated. >> Of course just like how no female human would produce milk if she's she lactate only when she has a baby. That's the whole purpose. Now doctor see doctor why does a female mammal produce milk? Why did my mother make milk? See a mother monkey makes milk for a baby monkey.
(1:13:13) Mother camel makes milk for a baby camel. My mom made milk for me not for you. Cow makes milk for calf. not for me, my neighbors, or my mother-in-law to drink tea or coffee. She makes it for her baby. So, we have to first understand that cows don't give us milk. That's a big lie. We taught we steal the milk meant for the baby.
(1:13:33) And since this is reality and the scenario, we vegans say we don't want to be a part of this. >> We see the reality. We understand it's horrifying. You know what? I don't want to be a part of this. And weirdly enough, I can meet my nutritional requirements through other means. That's the whole point, doctor. Like we have other options.
(1:13:52) If I said that other options did not exist and we have to compromise our quality of life, you can say Arvind, you choose to be a vegan. You crazy fellow. You care so much for the cow. You will need to compromise your own health for that. But I'm not compromising my health. My blood work is fine. I'm healthy.
(1:14:05) In fact, it's better than most people my age. So that's why we vegans get as exasperated at times and we're trying to convince people like >> you can consider. >> Yeah, you can. >> You know like this again layman question. Okay. So I'm very new to this. Um let's say that you know a child is getting abused. >> There is a child protection agency.
(1:14:26) >> In the whole world there should be some kind of an animal protection agency doing some regulation. Right. >> Very good question. Exactly. Regulation. See first of all I can't believe I'm talking to Dr. Paul and having this conversation. Mom, dad, I've achieved something in life. My life was worth it. I made it in life. Okay, great.
(1:14:46) So you see animals at this moment in time are regarded as commodities. Commodity means we can take a living being, we can stick a barcode on them and we can sell them for money. If I have to give an extreme example, if you fast forward go back 300 400 years ago, humans were being transported as slaves and auctioned off because they were commodities.
(1:15:07) Now we say human is not a commodity. Human is an individual. You cannot sell any human, right? We can't do that. It's called uh human trafficking at that point. But you can traffic animals and it's legal. And these groups you talk about, what they say is that traffic the animals, it's all right. But do it in a way that makes you feel less guilty.
(1:15:25) If you think smashing a hammer on their head is too gory for you, we'll create an electric stun gun that renders them unconscious. They won't see it coming and then we'll kill them. But what we're basically doing is we are the oppressor. We are the victimizer in the scenario and they are the victims and we are still victimizing them in ways that make us feel more comfortable in doing so.
(1:15:46) But we as vegans say their body not ours, their life not ours, their baby not ours, their milk not ours, their eggs not ours, we have no dominion over them. Just like how I cannot go and hurt another human. It's like a terrorist. We say the most kind-hearted terrorist in the world is one who will give chloroform to everybody and then he'll shoot them.
(1:16:08) He is not a kind-hearted human being. I'm so sorry. If he's going to shoot me, I would say don't. Regardless of chloroform or not, please don't. The animal also will say regardless of how you do it to me, I want to be left alone. Do do you get the distinction? So there are groups, but those groups still put them as a commodity and say treat them as slaves but just a bit nicer.
(1:16:28) But we are saying slavery is wrong. Do you get the distinction sir? >> But the I'm I'm surprised that this sounds very cruel to me which I knew all this but when you say it looks really bad. >> It is >> really bad. Right. So but somebody in an animal protection agency they should consider this as really bad and they should come up with >> but no saying see if I declared a fellow human being as a commodity >> I am saying that using their body against their consent is okay but I will do it in a way that I feel less guilty.
(1:17:05) So you get the point that person now is no longer considered a victim. we have turned this living being into an inanimate object and saying that no longer we're going to give any consideration for you and but I still understand so I'll hurt you in a way that displeases me less >> but at the end of the day the victim will be like regardless it's my body leave me alone so yes you're right they still they try to protect animals while still calling them as slaves we are saying end slavery that's the difference >> wow
(1:17:39) Okay. Um, was was a >> wonderful discussion. Uh, >> it's hard, you know. It's a hard I'll be honest. It's a hard one to have, but I feel I believe we do need to have these. We we should have these. We should be open to learning about this, not hide from this. >> Yeah. Look, >> I I also know that you do this.
(1:17:59) You have shown some of the animal slaughtering in your videos and then you have told me that uh YouTube social media actually sensors. >> Yeah. Yeah. >> All these because quoting violent images. >> Yes. So I am allowed to show the dead body of an animal in my plate or in my fridge. But if I show how that animal was turned into a dead body, my video gets taken down.
(1:18:24) Do you understand what I'm saying, sir? I can show meat >> which is an animal. But meat with the head attached and then being removed apparently is too much. I think that's unfair of social media. >> If you're allowed to show the end product, can we not show the process? >> Yeah, they do do that. >> And uh you know when you are I mean for me >> what you're telling me is relatively uh I know this but I'm processing the thoughts.
(1:18:48) >> Yeah, I know. But you are in this world >> and for you to watch the entire video >> and then pick up the things that is acceptable is almost like a for me a post-traumatic stress disorder kind of a feeling. >> It is >> uh like you know your love for the animals is being compromised. Despite that you're doing this what is your goal? Why are you doing all this? I am broken on the inside.
(1:19:15) I have seen the most horrible things that people would choose to turn a blind eye to. And I do this because I care. I did not intend to ever become a vegan or an animal rights activist or do any of the stuff that I'm sorry. I'm not intend to do any of the stuff that I do. I do it because I know what is right. I know what's wrong.
(1:19:39) I know what's justice. I know what's injustice. And I refuse to be silent and watch these innocent animals being tormented for human pleasure and stand back and do nothing. I will not be that coward. I don't care if society hates me. If I could magically right now take a bullet to the head. But that magic bullet says that tomorrow one lakh people will become vegan.
(1:20:02) I'll take it before he even finished a sentence. Okay? Because the level of pain and suffering we're causing these animals is unimaginable. It it is beyond human imagination. and they don't deserve it. I look at animals like how we look at human children. The innocence we see in human children is what I see in them. And when we have a group of individuals who are so vulnerable society and all we do is exploit their bodies because it feels good on our tongue.
(1:20:26) I am broken and distraught of what my people are doing and that's why I speak up. I've had enough. Enough is enough. Someone has to at least attempt to end this and that's what I'm trying to do. I don't know if I'll succeed. Maybe everything's a failure. I don't care. I just can't shut up about this because it hurts me so much seeing what happens to them.
(1:20:47) I'm doing this because it hurts me as well emotionally. >> That's very deep. That's very deep and thank you for sharing that. Okay. So that is not something easy to share on a bigger platform. >> Um so I am going to conclude this by saying that >> uh I don't believe in changing a person's belief forcefully. For example, I can also relate to you in a way that I am a big believer of not eating late at night.
(1:21:15) And I can clearly see what is happening at the gut health. If somebody's eating at midnight snacking, if I just remove that snack from them, they're just going to hate me to the core. They're going to eat more. >> Yeah. >> So, I feel like behavioral change should happen from the inside. >> It should come from within.
(1:21:32) From the individual has to realize and choose. realize and choose for that thing to happen education and awareness needs to be there. >> Agreed. >> And what we have done in this podcast is I am still not saying that I'm going to be vegan. >> Okay. But based on whatever you told me, I'm going to try to be a vegan. >> Okay.
(1:21:52) At least based on all the options that we talked about, it looks like it is not that difficult. >> Um, we can at least give this an option. Yes, >> we talked about the health angle where you can become a healthy vegan and that is good for the gut health and gut health is the bottom line for everything else and you have presented the ethical concerns.
(1:22:12) When a person listening to this podcast, they can put everything together. >> Yeah. >> And then they can say, okay, is this a choice that they can make? >> Yes. >> I don't think they're going to become vegan right away. >> Agreed. >> Uh but at least they can explore this option a little bit more. Is that do you agree >> that that's the whole reason why I'm here? The whole reason why I'm here is that see listen folks if I can just be honest and talk candly to the audience.
(1:22:36) >> I'm not here to judge you. I'm not here to say that I'm better than you. None of that. We are all born in this world into a system which we are not even aware of. I'm making you aware of what's happening to the animals. But I am also asking you to please consider to be accountable for it. I'm requesting you.
(1:22:53) It's a request from myself. Request Maravind. And educate yourself. I have so many videos like Dr. Paul said where I talk about nutrition and also about the cruelty happening to animals. There is no harm in educating ourselves. Be a informed consumer. That's what's important. Don't be ignorant about what's happening. In the end of the day, of course, no one can force you.
(1:23:13) You have to decide what you want to do. >> But do not turn a blind eye to this message is what I'll say. >> Dig deeper and then decide. Super. Super. Thank you. Thank you so much for being on the podcast. And I think we had a wonderful discussion and >> I I have no words to say to you. Thank you. >> Thank you so much though.
(1:23:33) I think um as we discussed a person listening this podcast have seen both sides and if they decide to choose whole food plant-based alone I'm still okay with that. >> Yeah. >> But one thing is they will have to increase the fiber in >> Oh yeah guys that will be damn easy. Don't worry at the bottom line. Yeah. >> Super. Thank you so much.
(1:23:51) You have been amazing. Thank you so much. >> Thank you so much. Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment