(4) The Power of an Undivided Mind🌹 ONE thing at ONE time-A Podcast for Peaceful Living🌹 Kanthrisa
Author Name:kanthrisa wisdom
Youtube Channel Url:https://www.youtube.com/@kanthrisawisdom
Youtube Video URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNyqmEAT92Q
Transcript:
(00:01) Hello friends. So today I'm going to um talk something very [music] important. If at all we consider that important. A very important thing. Since we are living in this busy world, we have to do million things. We have to satisfy people. We have to achieve our goals. We have to make money. Yet we have to find some space and time to throw a party or to attend a party to watch a movie and this and that.
(00:40) But we all have only 24 hours a day. Hence we are running gushing and doing many many things and finally [music] we are ending up um doing things clumsily. [music] So the myth of multitasking is not going to take you anywhere. [clears throat] So today I'm going to talk about one specific uh thing.
(01:21) If at all anybody tries to implement it, they will see great results in the realm of mind. So there is no nothing wrong doing [music] many things in life. But how we are going to attempt that is actually very important. So after doing all that is that activity bringing the stress to your life then that is not a good thing to do. So today I'm going to talk about one particular thing.
(02:01) It's called one one thing at one time. It is very important. Do million things but one thing at one time, one thought at one time. While cooking the food, cook the food. Be there totally meditatively and give a gap. Then go and write a book and finish that job. After 1 hour go for a walk. So one thing at one time. So while doing something don't think about the other.
(02:32) The problem is that. So the myth of multitasking this is a modernday human being [music] tragedy and neurologically the human brain cannot consciously process two cognitive demanding tasks simultaneously. It is very important to be noticed. What we call multitasking is actually context switching. rapidly shifting focus back and forth that is not good.
(03:10) As far as [music] the mind is concerned, this mind is vulnerable. So mind is very delicate, fragile. So every time the mind switches, it pays a um cognitive tax, it leaves behind a residue of attention on the previous task because I have also done the same thing in the past. I used to I I I wanted to paint, I wanted to sing, I wanted to learn music, I wanted to this and that forming and everything.
(03:44) [music] So all these things sat in the mind and I was unable to focus on anything. So while practicing the music, I was thinking about painting. While painting, I was thinking about preparing the food. While preparing the food, I was thinking of going for a jogging. So I end of the day I was unable to finish anything properly.
(04:07) So my friends we all have to work we all have to do [music] something we have to fulfill our all the thoughts but how we have to go [music] about it's a very simple thing but my observation dayto-day observation people most of the people won't do that. So if you switch your mind rapidly so one thing after another so there it leaves a residue that's the frag fragments of thoughts or fragments of the mind leaving people exhausted
(04:50) anxious [music] and deeply ineffective. So how the effective work is done? So there are many people like James Allen. He only wrote in his entire life. Rest of the things he will not do. That is one thing. But I'm I I am not in the favor of doing uh that kind of thing. One has to do many things in one day. You should be able to cook, you should be able to sing, you should be able to go for a walk, you should be able to um sit with the family.
(05:23) You can do million things but one thing at one time. Always remember this. One thing at one time means whenever you are doing something completely engross yourself into it. So this is called the single tasking paradigm. So doing one thing at a time is not a limitation. It is the ultimate lever of power. So when you gather all your mental energy and channel it [music] to into a single point, your mind becomes acute, sharp, penetrative and powerful like a laser beam cutting through the steel.
(06:08) This gives you a kind of pace. Pace is nothing but speed but not in in hurry. and equinimity as well. Equinimity means there is chaos around you but you [music] have experiencing peace all the time. So many great philosophers have spoken about these things. Marcus Arius a Roman king said do every act of your life as though it were the very last framing every action with precise and serious attention.
(06:49) So multitasking has two meanings. So doing many things at one time or doing one thing at one time and after giving a [music] gap doing another thing at one time. So all tasks are finished beautifully effectively. So Henry David Thorough he said that to be awake is to be alive. I have never yet met a man who was quite awake who doesn't [music] have a clumsy mind.
(07:33) Ticknot Han a famous Zen master said that while washing the dishes one should only be washing the dishes which means that while washing the dishes one should be completely aware of the fact that one is washing the dishes [music] simple as that but are we doing that no most of the people are not I [music] am doing that since hence I have some authority to extend my understanding to all of you so this is illumination This is the right understanding.
(08:06) Doing one thing at one time. I'm not talking about right thing. Doing one thing at one time. Do it effectively. So I have seen people they sit to eat and they they think about [music] something else. So they cannot eat properly and they go to attempt some other work. And while doing that obviously they will be thinking about the food.
(08:35) So while thinking about um doing this particular thing I I could not eat properly. So this is not a good idea. So one thing everyone has to understand that single-minded focus like laser beam. So there was a story a restless disciple and a sin [music] master and a small conversation between them. A student once asked ain master, [music] "Master, what is the secret to your profound wisdom and constant peace? You seem no different from any of us,
(09:21) yet your presence is completely magnetic." The master smiled and replied, "It is simple. It is so [music] simple. When I walk, I walk. When I eat, I eat. [music] When I sleep, I sleep. When I sit, I sit. When I paint, I paint. When I talk, I talk. That's all." That student looked disappointed because it doesn't seem to be a great answer.
(09:49) But master, everyone walks, eats, [music] sleeps. What is so special about that? And the master shook his head and said, "No, [music] when you walk, you are already at your destination. When you eat, you are thinking of your worries. When you sleep, you are dreaming of tomorrow. I do not I do one thing at one time.
(10:12) That's all. If you understand this, you have understood you have understood the most important and significant thing in your life. So doing one thing at one time simply means you have almost 16 hours in a day apart from the time you [music] spent sleeping. So those 16 hours you just leave 8 4 hours for food and and many other stuff you have to do and 8 hours you have in that 8 hours every 45 minutes you be on one task
(10:59) completely involve into that task and without [music] any distraction and after 45 minutes give a 15-minut break and Next 45 minutes do something else. But whatsoever you are doing in that 45 minutes do completely without any distraction with natural focus that brings tremendous change in life. For sure. Slowly slowly slowly you see all things are done with utmost perfection and yet your peace is maintained.
(11:39) There is another story. In ancient traditions, the training of an archer [music] was never about the target. It was about the archer state of mind. See, such a beautiful uh insight. It is not about the target. The It's all about your state of mind. So, we're all talking about the state of mind. A famous master once brought his students to a clearing to shoot a wooden bird tied to a tree.
(12:17) He asked the first student, "What do you see?" The student replied, "I see the sky, the clouds, the tree [music] and the bird." The master told him to step aside. He asked the second student who said, "I see the trunk of the tree and the bird." The master told him to step aside as well. Finally he asked the finest student.
(12:36) The student replied I see nothing but the eye of the bird. This story is all to told in the context of Mahabharata while Dhonachara asking all the disciples like uh while all Pandavas and Koras were kids. Only Arjuna replied properly. He said I see only the eye. And the same story narrated by a Telugu writer Yendam Muri he gave another perception to it.
(13:10) So in this story he asked the finest student the Arjuna. So what do you see? Arjuna obviously replied I see nothing but the eye of the bird. And this Telugu writer said gave another interesting dimension and perception that he he did not reply. And the master asked again, [music] "What do you see?" He did not reply. And the master shooks the student and asks again.
(13:41) And the student looked at the master and said, [music] "I did not even hear what exactly you are saying. This is the next level focus. That is actually good. So the eye of the bird is whatever you are doing right now. The rest of the world must temporarily cease to exist. It simply means what exactly we are trying to say. Forget everything.
(14:15) Focus on one thing. It is not that difficult to understand. Isn't it? But we have been uh uh trained in such a way in the world many people around doing many things clumsily. So we are we used to do the same thing but with a small understanding we can change our attitude. So one should have the undivided mind which benefits everybody.
(14:58) So don't try to waste your energy thinking about many things at one time. So if you have undivided mind, unwavering mind and you are [music] doing one thing at one time, it simply means your brain is not wasting energy and switching gears. your [music] retention, your creativity, your problem solving capacities skyrocket.
(15:35) And also because of the single tasking allows you to move deeply and steadily finishing task faster and zero errors because you are [music] maintaining a sustainable pace. And the most important thing do it consistently. For example, you are painting, paint every day for half an hour, but do it every day.
(16:08) Cook every day for 1 hour, but do it every day. Go for a walk every day for 10 minutes, but do it every day consistently. Don't give breaks. Consistency doesn't mean that you have to continuously do. No, you are you are maintaining the gap between these two same activities exactly the [music] same. Then suddenly you experience a kind of peace within.
(16:33) So there are a few practical tips for single tasking. So divide your work day into distinct chunks. As I said 45 minutes whatsoever you do keep alarm aside and do it [music] 45 minutes without having any distractions. It's like while you are working on computer we open multiple tabs in one tab you are watching a movie another tab you are reading a book in another tab you are watching something else and we swiftly switch our [music] gears and finally you end up uh enjoying
(17:23) nothing rather than open one tab at one time. Simple and the most important piece of advice, the single threaded conversation. We have to speak every day. Without speaking, our days won't pass. [music] So when speaking to someone, give them 100% of your visual and mental attention. At the time, don't check your notifications. Put the phone aside.
(17:55) listen to understand and don't be hurry to reply. Most of the people won't do it. And the third most important tip is thought catching. So when a random thought crosses your mind while working, rather than responding to that particular thought, put it on paper with your hand. Write. For example, while I'm painting, suddenly I got the idea or an [music] interesting uh scenario for my movie.
(18:35) So don't switch your gears towards movie script. Immediately put it on a paper. I have got this idea for the movie script. So maybe after 2 hours I'll work on it. Put it aside and keep painting. This simple understanding gives you tremendous power over you. Okay. So the conclusion is simple. If your entire focus right now is simply to get your mind back on track and reclaim your mental sovereignity, do a small experiment, a 24-hour experiment starting tomorrow morning.
(19:17) Pick just three routine activities. Don't do million things at one time. Three activities, painting, cooking and reading for example. So this is what I have been doing every day. So if you are painting, so don't scroll the phone. Put it aside. Simply [music] paint. That's all. Then if you are cooking [music] the food, don't leave the kitchen.
(19:52) Be there in the kitchen. Keep a chair [music] adjacent to the kitchen table. Sit there. Don't read. Don't just cook the food and put your entire attention into it. And while reading, just read. Keep a notebook aside. Whatever you are doing, thinking and whatever you are happening in the mind only about the reading either read or try to understand or analyze at the time someone comes don't start speaking to them say that next half an hour I am going to continue the the reading uh activity I'll come and speak to you
(20:36) after half an hour people [music] understand you stick to your experiment So whenever [music] there is distraction immediately remember that next couple of minutes you are going to do only this activity while cooking someone said that come come there is a beautiful scene in the movie come and watch let me show a comedy real on Instagram so you simply say I cannot come right now so next half an hour I'm going to book.
(21:12) So after that I'll watch you say this [music] humbly people listen to it try it for one day you notice the profound peace and power that returns to your life it is there all already you don't have to do any great [music] stuff to be peaceful just organize your day so do one thing at one time whatsoever you are doing it completely and live fully.
(21:43) So initially you may not have the [music] natural focus there are distractions. I understand that. But if you do it continuously and consistently maximum 7 days your mind is on its track. Suddenly [music] you see that your mind is calm and quiet. It is always having one particular task [music] in the mind. Rest of the tasks you are simply saying no it is not the time.
(22:20) While watching a movie watch a movie while eating only eat. While speaking to somebody, speak to somebody. Don't speak any other n whatsoever the context you are speaking just stick to it. That's all. This is the most so many people are making their minds clumsy and they are meditating. So whatever I have spoken this is act of meditation.
(22:51) Krishna Morty also said that while speaking you speak completely you be into it that is meditation you don't have to follow any method if you are doing a puja do puja if you are asking something ask something if you are doing something do something one thing at one time that's all anybody can understand this context The only thing is whether you will be able to do it or or not. Don't postpone.
(23:22) If you really like the idea, do it right away. So until next time, do one thing at one time. Do it wholeheartedly, single-mindedly with acute focus, leaving the world behind. Then you see lot of radical changes taking place [music] in the mind in the realm of mind on its own accord. Suddenly you find peace. If you really do it a magic happens that when you sleep your mind sleeps.
(24:00) When you walk your mind walks when you eat your mind eats. It is in tremendous alignment [music] with the body and the surroundings. Give it a try. Don't question, don't analyze this. Give it a try. Also share the gen [music] stories I have just narrated to your kids to husbands to wives whosoever around you.
(24:30) Just share the stories rather than sharing nonsense. You share a story. also learn English. So I'm doing this podcast my whenever I do podcast [music] I I'm learning I'm trying to put the my context with the right language [music] I try to because I have not studied in Telugu a English medium obviously I was [music] from a village so there was nobody around me who could speak proper English.
(25:01) So after coming to the city I have realized so the learning language is important and now I have [music] got some command over my language. I'm still polishing because I I listen to debates every day. I have chosen [music] um few individuals who are who are great aators. So they are my teachers.
(25:30) They don't even know that I'm learning from them. In times uh in seen news there is one news anchor Rahul Shuhinkar. I admire his language. Arnav Gowami or Anandra Narudani or Alen Watts you know sometimes Osho I enjoy the way they speak the way they [music] put their context effectively without having any distractions. So I personally feel one day people should listen to my talks in the same context I'm [music] uh listening to Rahul Shankara Sudhani in these days.
(26:11) So this is great help from distance I am bestowing upon you with great humility and while doing all these things make sure don't get stuck in identity. You are not a special being. [music] You are a good human being. Be good and do good. Okay. So we are not we are not doing all these things to develop ego within and prove a point that [music] see I a special person I do many tasks every day no one can do like [music] me so don't do this live as if you are alone here
(26:58) polish yourself untap your potential and live a peaceful [music] life okay thank you so Until next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment